Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I Really Need Health Insurance

• 23-01-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Im a reasonably fit 33 year old male. Do I really Need Health Insurance ? Im Considering getting rid of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

As a 26year old who until a month ago was very healthy I say keep it. I ended up in hospital undergoing all kinds of tests and private health care paid for it, meant I didn't have as long a waiting list and meant I had some level of sleep in a semi private room. The bill for it will prob cover my premiums for the next 5 years at least! I won't take the chance with my health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dacarinaeman

I would say hold on to it, as if you got rid of it Murphys law would mean that something may happen where you may need it. I guess the best thing to do is to try and pick the plan that is most suitable for you. Try www.hia.ie for comparisons. Insurance is insurance, we pay it to cover for an event that we hope may never happen. We dont get any benefit from it until we actually need it, just like car insurance. Its damn expensive whatever way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I don't bother with it. It might help you get seen faster (but not via A&E) . Without insurance you will only have to pay €75 a night if you stay in hospital (capped at €750 a year) - all treatment , scans, operations , follow up visits are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would advise you to keep your health insurance. If you run into any problems you will be seen quicker and you won't be on a long waiting list for tests ect.
    I would look up the hia website in regards to policies to save you money.
    I would look for a policy that you can claim back for day to day cover ie gp visits, consultant visits, physo ect with a €1 excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 6011Cottesloe

Hi folks,

does anybody know if or how the health insurance providers check to see if you have a history with an injury or an illness?

Do they just want a letter from your doctor or do they actually do a Sherlock Holmes on it and go thru hospital records?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

No there are no medical questions.

One is covered automatically for an accident immediately but will be subject to waiting periods for any new conditions or up to 5 years for a pre existing condition.

Have a look at this page http://www.hia.ie/consumer-info/choosing-products.htm for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you take out any type of health insurance all policies are subject to the following rules: If you are taking out health insurance you will be covered for accident and injury claims immediately. However an insurer may apply a waiting period to all other claims. This is 26 weeks in respect of a person who is under the age of 55 years.
    They impose a waiting period of 52 weeks in respect of maternity benefits.
    If you have a pre-existing condition, the health insurer can impose a waiting period in respect of cover for treatment for this condition. The maximum waiting periods that the health insurer may impose in this case are as follow:
    • 5 years, for a person who is under the age of 55 years.
    These waiting periods apply from the date cover commences. It should be noted that whether or not a condition existed at the time that an insured person began serving a waiting period is decided on the basis of medical advice. Whether or not the insured person was aware that they had the condition at the time that they started serving the waiting period may be considered not to be relevant by the insurer.
    If you look up hia.ie website under consumer information they have frequently asked questions which can give you more information.

Advertisement