Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini-Review The Song Above You

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Here's a little game that works so well on other music forums and is a great way of discovering new artists.

The rules are simple:
    • Listen to the song posted by the user above you and give a short review of what you thought of it in no less than two sentences.
    • Give it a rating out of ten.
    • In turn post a Youtube video of a song of your choice for the next person to listen to and review.
    • No plugging your own music.

Remember it's only a bit of fun so don't take it too seriously.

I'll start off with something you probably all know...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene

A song that expresses the full joy of fuzzy guitars. This reminds of all that was good about the american punk and alternative scene when I was a young lad in the 90s and still sends a little shiver down my back when I hear it. A full ten out of ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Brendan Benson - Tiny Spark

A fine upbeat tune that reminds me slightly of REMs "Get Up" in the intro. A good taster also for those (like me) who aren't familiar with Bensons work outside of jamming with Jack White in The Raconteurs. 8 out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I was never too blown away by Sparklehorse from what I've heard before but I like that song. It has a similar vibe to The Flaming Lips and Granddaddy at their most upbeat. Maybe they're a band I need to investigate a bit more. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The Radio Dept. - Heaven's on Fire

Great catchy pop song without being overbearing "REMEMBER MY HOOKS!!", I really like the vocal. The breaks with the piano are really cool but it sounds like they didn't put much effort into the guitar parts - I'd prefer if they left the guitars out altogether. 6/10.

Great thread!

Oh and a little Mod note, can we not quote embedded videos please? Keeps the thread a little less cluttered and easier for slower connections and all that. Maybe just quote the artist and title in bold like I did. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Instantly interesting and unique rhythms that slowly, evolve to include a cyclical melody that is both pleasant and edgy due to the harsh buzzing. The track is equivalent to a slow jam in autechre terms but where it lacks in punch, it makes up in involvement, the almost human sounding chorus is quite pretty but as Autechre tracks range, this isn't outstanding to me particularly.

7/10

• Advertisement
Advertisement