Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bags, bags, bags ...

• 23-01-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

No comment ...

407427_334073876616131_100000405648823_1096092_110357108_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

FFS!!!!! ( excuse the text talk... Thought it would be better than spelling out the full words!!)
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

bags costing 70 cent or more are excluded from paying 22c tax unfortunately the customer gets hit even harder while the supermarket gains

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/PlasticBags/FAQs/

"Is the levy to be charged on all types of plastic bags?

Yes – except where otherwise stated in the Regulations.
    Broadly the exclusions cover shopping bags designed for re-use which are sold for 70 cents or more"

so basically by charging 70 cent its a win win situation for the retailer and a loss for the government and customer

so where it says (*incl 22c levy)in the middle picture that is actually untrue as there is no levy on that particular bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

But wouldn't the tesco bag be sold for 58 cent + 22 cent levy?

Otherwise it's false advertising if they keep the 70c for themselves.

But wouldn't the tesco bag be sold for 48 cent + 22 cent levy?

from working in a retailers cash office in the past I can say for sure that on 22c bags the entire amount goes to the government as a levy but on the 70 cent bags the retailer keeps the whole amount levy free.

sorry but I dont see how its false advertising,if your referring to the OP's picture i think he/she may have made it themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taquilla

triple-M wrote: »
    so where it says (*incl 22c levy)in the middle picture that is actually untrue as there is no levy on that particular bag

I wouldn't bet, but I think there stayed on receipt: "incl. 22c gov. levy".

However with or w/o tax the difference is not 50, 100, 200 or even 300%. Is more...

• Advertisement

taquilla wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet, but I think there stayed on receipt: "incl. 22c gov. levy".

However with or w/o tax the difference is not 50, 100, 200 or even 300%. Is more...

afaik and im nearly sure but open to correction that on the 70 cent bags it usually says "bag for life" on the receipt and doesnt mention 22c levy

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭marrm

But wouldn't the tesco bag be sold for 58 cent + 22 cent levy?

Try 48c + 22c levy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How much do Dunnes and SuperValu charge down here?:confused:

We very rarely get those kinds of bags, so I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I find that some stores often run out of regular plastic bags and offer you the "bag for life" one instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't feel too bothered about this. If my bag costs me 64c more than it would in NI, that would be a difference of about 64c a year in my budget.

If people were getting bags for less than 10c, many would treat them as disposable items, and we'd have more waste and littering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

ejmaztec wrote: »
    How much do Dunnes and SuperValu charge down here?:confused:

We very rarely get those kinds of bags, so I haven't a clue.

Dunnes charge 70cent and have done for years, Tesco only recently copped on to dodging the levy and raised theirs to 70cent also.

So question about 22c levy in bag priced 70c is exactly what Tesco says on theirs receipt:

"How did they do?"

Because:
    189757.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I thought that all plastic bags, small or "bags for life" included the 22 cents tax levy (except the clear ones for vegs and bakery).

Best investment ever: a 1 euro fabric bag at the Euro Saver shop, folds into one's pocket and will last for ages. The "bags for life" tend to rip and I keep forgetting them at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It is madness that the government is not getting the full €0.70c for the bag for life type bags, why set a minimum price with out gaining from it. It was always much better to buy 3 €0.35c bags rather than 4 x 22c bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I don't think its an intentional rip-off, but they are taking the p1ss and taking advantage of the legislation.

If the legislation said bags priced over 30c were not liable to the levy, then the bag would drop to 30c, but as the dept of envir sates 70c, texco and others are charging this to make an excessive profit and also stop the ringfenced funds that the levy bring in and which are used for anti litter initiatives.

Either the bag for life description should be changed to exclude plastic bags or tesco and others should donate the profits to local charities.

Thy alos should immediately delete the "includes levy" part on the receipt

btw - I'd estimate that the bags cost tesco less than 5c each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Because:
    189757.jpg
    This is probably a mistake, I am often looking at old tesco receipts trying to figure out what I actually bought, they seem quite blase about what appears on them. Its like I expect many receipts out there from small random shops will still have old VAT figures on them since nobody bothered to update the computer, but revenue would be getting the correct VAT.

I imagine there is nothing to stop these shops selling packs of bags, so they could compete with each other, e.g. 10 bags for life for €2.

I saw a clever auld fella scan through cheap bin liners first, open them up and use them as his shopping bags.

20 packs for 1.79€

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

FFS!!!!! ( excuse the text talk... Thought it would be better than spelling out the full words!!)
    ;)

But in the time it took you to write all that out, you could have just written "For fucks sake"?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why did you compare it to ASDA and Sainsbury and not Tesco in the North?

No idea if it works out any more favourable but still. If the UK had a bag tax they wouldnt be selling bags for under 10p or anything like it.

You could always go buy a few 22c bags somewhere here in the south and brign them to Tesco with you.

Good question.
    I live in Dundalk, and quite frequent I work in Donegal, so I drive across NI, but today I had a work to do just out Ballymena in NI (what is really unusual) and I shopped in Asda in Ballyclare (on my way back home) where I could get FABRIC tough huge bag for 36p. I simply like to shop in Asda, but when next time I'll be in north I'll try to go to Tesco and then we'll have full picture of the case.

@Nanazolie
    great solution, but I simply like to go shopping w/o any bags in my hands/pockets and i don't like to spend more than half of 1€ for bags just to take my stuff home. As I do this every second day, it becomes a big amount during all the year.

• Advertisement

Why did you compare it to ASDA and Sainsbury and not Tesco in the North?

probably becasue there's no tesco in Newry area

anyway Tesco NI were 10p for the bag about 6 months ago.

Also the thread is ore about how they have circumvented the levy and enriched themselves by doing so. Up to mid of last year the bag was 35c (22c levy + 13c for the bag) - good value as it carried twice the products of the basic bag.

But by increasing the price from 13c (tesco cut) to 70c (new tesco cut), they are effectively chargeing 500% + more for this bag in the south than the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

In the North they don't have a levy to dodge, hardly a fair comparison. They also have much lower wages, rent, costs and overheads.

In the North they don't have a levy to dodge, hardly a fair comparison. They also have much lower wages, rent, costs and overheads.

I donlt thinks the argument for rents and wages can be applied to the cost of bags for putting your groceries into. This is calssified as "store supples" and is a normal expnse whan perating a retail store.

The issue people have is Tesco are circumventing the levy by charging 70c of which all excepot the vat portion goes to them.

If they had some decency, they would give the "profit" from the bag to local groups / charities instead of using it as an excuse to fleece their own customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

maxer68 wrote: »
    I donlt thinks the argument for rents and wages can be applied to the cost of bags for putting your groceries into. This is calssified as "store supples" and is a normal expnse whan perating a retail store.

The issue people have is Tesco are circumventing the levy by charging 70c of which all excepot the vat portion goes to them.

If they had some decency, they would give the "profit" from the bag to local groups / charities instead of using it as an excuse to fleece their own customers.

Hasn't it already been pointed out above that Dunnes charge the same as Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maxer68 wrote: »

Why would they give it to charity? Bags are a product they sell, just like any other. They can sell they for whatever they like and people can choose to buy them or not. Theres nothing stopping people bringing their own bags or not using bags at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

great solution, but I simply like to go shopping w/o any bags in my hands/pockets and i don't like to spend more than half of 1€ for bags just to take my stuff home. As I do this every second day, it becomes a big amount during all the year.

That's the sort of wasteful behaviour that the levy was designed to eliminate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Nanazolie wrote: »
    20 packs for 1.79€

IDShot_225x225.jpg

That's crazy those bags were only .99 cent before the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good question.

@Nanazolie

That is such a feeble argument. I want the cake and I want to eat it too.

deelite wrote: »
    That's crazy those bags were only .99 cent before the new year.

actually, you're right. I remember buying them in November but haven't bought them since (I carry a fabric bag with me). I wonder how much they are in Dunnes?

• Advertisement

Nanazolie wrote: »
    actually, you're right. I remember buying them in November but haven't bought them since (I carry a fabric bag with me). I wonder how much they are in Dunnes?

I'll be in Dunnes tomorrow and will report on their price. There's no reason for the increase is there?

still 99 cent in dunnes and superquinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Tesco said it “moved the price of one of our reusable bags from 35c to 70c in December. It took some time to update our IT systems and this resulted in a delay in removing the reference to the bag levy on our receipts. That has now been done"

:pac: They literally can't say "raised" or "doubled" :pac:

Advertisement