Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident Waiting to happen at Fonthill Road

Options
  • 23-01-2012 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I drive to work up the Fonthill road every morning - kids crossing from Foxdene to Sean Kavanagh's garage have run out in front of me a few times recently.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets splattered.

How does one go about getting a footbridge built?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you see children trying to cross, slow down.

Footbridges are not the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Victor wrote: »
    If you see children trying to cross, slow down.

Footbridges are not the solution.
    Wow...that never occurred to me.

The road itself has a 50km limit. Hitting a child at 30km will do serious damage.

The point is, someone, someday is not going to slow down and someone's going to be killed, Schoolchildren can not be relied upon to exercise sufficient caution when crossing the road - it is irresponsible to rely solely on 'slow down' as an approach to this accident waiting to happen.

I agree with you - 'footbridges' (plural) are not 'the solution' - but a footbridge (singular) along with fencing all the way up to the junction at Balgaddy Cross and your 'slow down' suggestion all form parts of a range of measures that may decrease the likelihood of someone being killed.

There are no silver bullets for problems such as these - but 'slow down' is glib, obvious, and tends to trivialise the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

born2bwild wrote: »
    I agree with you - 'footbridges' (plural) are not 'the solution' - but a footbridge (singular) along with fencing all the way up to the junction at Balgaddy Cross and your 'slow down' suggestion all form parts of a range of measures that may decrease the likelihood of someone being killed.
    No, I said and meant 'footbridges'.

Being a pedestrain is the natural state of being. Traffic is the problem. You and others propose that the detour and inconvenience of using bridges be imposed on pedestrians. Being trapped between traffic and fencing is hazardous to pedestrians and cyclists caught on the wrong side of the fence.

The proper solution is traffic calming and/or a pedestrian crossing.

Bridge and ramps: €1m
    Pedestrian crossing: €20,000

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There is a pedestrian crossing but people are too lazy to walk to the end of the road to use it.

I agree with you OP, that road is a nightmare, especially with idiots running across the road to get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Victor wrote: »
    No, I said and meant 'footbridges'.

Being a pedestrain is the natural state of being. Traffic is the problem. You and others propose that the detour and inconvenience of using bridges be imposed on pedestrians. Being trapped between traffic and fencing is hazardous to pedestrians and cyclists caught on the wrong side of the fence.

The proper solution is traffic calming and/or a pedestrian crossing.

Bridge and ramps: €1m
    Pedestrian crossing: €20,000

Sorry but the problem is pedestrains not using the proper section of the road for crossing at.

The proper solution is the pedestrian use common sense and stop showing bad examples to the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

there are 2 sets of traffic lights 100 metres apart at Sean Kavanaghs garage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kilograms wrote: »
    there are 2 sets of traffic lights 100 metres apart at Sean Kavanaghs garage

The Corpo's solution will probably be to stick another few sets in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I drive to work up the Fonthill road every morning - kids crossing from Foxdene to Sean Kavanagh's garage have run out in front of me a few times recently.

Why not approach the local schools about it?
    It's probably cheaper and more effective to have a school traffic warden for an hour in the morning and afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Why not approach the local schools about it?
    It's probably cheaper and more effective to have a school traffic warden for an hour in the morning and afternoon.

I live in the estate beside the road in question and use the road at the times when the kids head to school and haven't seen any kids running in front of cars. It must have been a once off.

There are 2 pedestrian exits out of the estate onto that road. 1 exit leads directly to traffic lights and the other is about 20 metres from traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KavanaghGarage

Hi Could you change the name of this post please, It puts our garage in a bad light (first Impressions) when somebody googles our name.
    Sorry for any inconveniance caused.
    Thank you.
    Ross Kavanagh.
    (p.s I agree with you we see it every morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Welcome to boards.ie, Ross. I've changed the thread title for you.

Advertisement