Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banging on Apartment Windows

Options
  • 23-01-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

I am renting a ground floor apartment that is off a walkway.

Over the past few months a group of teenagers have been banging on the windows at night time, with this starting to happen more frequently over the past 12 months

Our landlord has given us no help apart from saying "call the guards when it happens"

Any advice on how best to proceed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Fitting a PIR spolight (like this one) above the window might deter them. It could be quite tricky to do in your case as it would require you to ask your landlord to do it and him/her to ask the management companys permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the local community Garda? Complain to the parents? Ask for CCTV? Can something be placed between the walkway and the window? Flower box / planter?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Could you live with something like this for a while?

window_grills.png

Window_grille.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MadsL wrote: »
    Could you live with something like this for a while?

They don't look like they would stop people from tapping the window if anything they would make them bang the guard making more noise.

A water pistol might actually be better use but then again they are looking for a reaction. No reaction and they would get bored doing it. Funny for them to watch you get mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A large bucket of water above the window might also be fun :)

Bang, Bang - sploosh..

Can you get on the roof with a hosepipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A squirt gun filled with liquid ass. www.liquidass.com. I have a few bottles that I'm using to deadly effect with some miscreant hard-partying neighbours. A few squirts of Satan's piss on the ground outside your window (provided that you have no vents or window open for a few hours) and they won't be approaching your window. ps you would need to bag that squirter pronto, then bad that, then bag that. And if you get this on your hands, YOU will be told to sleep outside on the footpath !!!

Please note. This stuff is SHOCKING. Its invisible, its untraceable. Its VERY effective with f*ckwits. However, squirting them involves you, which will lead to more broken windows. No, if you can invest in say a 5 pack of these bottles (check ebay UK) and try to pour it on the ground on a still and dry night (frost is cool), then hopefully it will linger for an hour or two. If it does, and you can time it right, they will stop calling as your place will not be a place they want to be.

IF YOU HAVE VENTS on that side, you may want to close them or you may want to test this gently. My neighbours don't party any more...... their friends either decided the place was too smelly or they decided that one of their abusive 5-7am can-throwing friends was literally dying of something.

All from a few squirts (liberal pour) in their letterbox..... ;)

Well, I am paying good money and I did have 104 temp with flu; so hard action was called for. F*ck your enemies. Just cover your ass.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advocating assault / criminal damage is not acceptable.

Sorry, I didn't fully read the charter in that regard. ps I was not suggesting anywhere that you put anything in anyone's letterbox. I stated that its what I did. I did state spraying a walkway, which is public property; so my infraction is fair enough........

But what i suggested in regards to my situation was an anecdote, not a call to arms. The advice would certainly hold for anyone who owns their own space outside of their building of course and that would be legal 'violence' if you wish to term it even as that.

Best wishes to the OP.

Hi OP, Victor, what the OP could do is get an old laptop or desktop and run a free webcam like YAWCAM, see www.yawcam.com. You can set the sensitivity and it will take PERFECT shots of anyone at your window.

I used it to great effect when I found flower-pots (10KG ones) lifted and moved at my house after a powercut. The caveat is that I placed notes on the window sills telling anyone who could read it (therefore breaching my privacy) that their picture had just been taken and emailed to me (which it had) so to make contact and explain OR suffer consequences (of course not violent...)

Yawcam, and depending on whether you need a PIR, would be very effective in your case.

Like you, I had undesirables. In this apartment block and in my last bungalow in an open plan estate.

Best rgds

Advertisement