Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TESCO deliberate rip-off

• 23-01-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

In TESCO Clare Hall today -

* picked 3 fruit items from the "3 for €3" section. Paid. Checked my receipt - was charged €6.28. :eek:

* went over to Customer "Service". Was told by the Assistant Manager L***** there that the "3 for €3" offer was only for fruit items specially marked. :mad:

* Suggested to L***** that it would be a good idea for TESCO not to mix the "special offer" fruits with the regular-priced ones in the same basket. :cool:

* Was told by L****** THAT IT WAS TESCO POLICY TO PUT BOTH TYPES (AT DIFFERENT PRICES) IN THE SAME BASKET, IT WAS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO PICK THE RIGHT ONES! :mad: :mad: :mad:

In other word, TESCO deliberately try to mislead their customers, hoping that the customer will not check his/her receipt and pay €6.28 (or even up to €8.10) for items which are expected to cost €3.00 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rip-Off!!! :(:(:(

Moral of the story: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TESCO RECEIPT. ALWAYS INSIST ON GETTING TWICE THE DIFFERENCE BACK! :D:D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

About 25 years ago I met a guy who sold jumpers to Dunnes Stores. He was telling me that they used to go nuts at the stores for "seconds" which they could get much cheaper, and mix in with the good stock. I'd say its fair to say that every Supermarket is pulling these sort of stunts on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

whiterebel wrote: »
    About 25 years ago I met a guy who sold jumpers to Dunnes Stores. He was telling me that they used to go nuts at the stores for "seconds" which they could get much cheaper, and mix in with the good stock. I'd say its fair to say that every Supermarket is pulling these sort of stunts on a regular basis.
    Not the same at all! What tesco are doing is misleading, they are selling two types of fruit say apples one costs €3 for 3 while the other costs a lot more but instead of separating them they are putting them all in the same display boxes. If I saw some apples marked as €3 for 3 in a big display with lots more unmarked apples it is reasonable for me to assume they should all be the same price!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Not the same at all! What tesco are doing is misleading, they are selling two types of fruit say apples one costs €3 for 3 while the other costs a lot more but instead of separating them they are putting them all in the same display boxes. If I saw some apples marked as €3 for 3 in a big display with lots more unmarked apples it is reasonable for me to assume they should all be the same price!

Dunnes were mixing the seconds in with Grade A stock, charging full price for all and hoping not to get caught. Weren't Dunnes misleading the customers, if not being downright dishonest?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

I buy a flan in tesco that costs 99 cent, it's always on the aisle with the jelly, meringues etc. while the more expensive makes are with the cakes in the cake aisle. Was there Saturday, picked up a flan and it was one of the more expensive ones, they all were. The shelf still had the name and price of the cheaper one. I'm sure not a lot of people would check the brand on the shelf matches the brand on the pack when there is only one of that item there. That was a price difference of almost 1.50. Thats a deliberate attempt to mislead customers and ill definitely be keeping my eyes open from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭sundodger5

see this regularly. they run out of the special offer 500g pack so instead of leaving a gap they put the 600g pack in the space.
    catches loads of people i would think.
    all of the supermarkets do it.
    sharp practice imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

sundodger5 wrote: »
    see this regularly. they run out of the special offer 500g pack so instead of leaving a gap they put the 600g pack in the space.
    sharp practice imo.

Thats not to catch you out.

That's teenage shelf stacker's being told not to leave any spaces on the shelves.

Its no different from the section where all the beans are meant to be being covered by red kidneys beans because that's the only beans they have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

sundodger5 wrote: »
    sharp practice imo.

I've seen it lots of times with special offers but they are generally beside similar products. Like you say different sizes or flavours or whatever but because this was just so random, The other products are never there, it's always just the one brand here. Only for I noticed the logo was different I wouldnt have batted an eyelid. Like you say it is sharp practice but deliberately deceitful none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

marrm wrote: »

* picked 3 fruit items from the "3 for €3" section. Paid. Checked my receipt - was charged €6.28. :eek:

* went over to Customer "Service". Was told by the Assistant Manager L***** there that the "3 for €3" offer was only for fruit items specially marked. :mad:

* Suggested to L***** that it would be a good idea for TESCO not to mix the "special offer" fruits with the regular-priced ones in the same basket. :cool:

* Was told by L****** THAT IT WAS TESCO POLICY TO PUT BOTH TYPES (AT DIFFERENT PRICES) IN THE SAME BASKET, IT WAS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO PICK THE RIGHT ONES! :mad: :mad: :mad:

In other word, TESCO deliberately try to mislead their customers, hoping that the customer will not check his/her receipt and pay €6.28 (or even up to €8.10) for items which are expected to cost €3.00 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Moral of the story: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TESCO RECEIPT. ALWAYS INSIST ON GETTING TWICE THE DIFFERENCE BACK! :D:D:D

The ones 3 for €3 are clearly marked. The manager is correct -it is up to the customer to be aware of what they are buying - it was probably another customer who put stuff back to the wrong area that confused you. What, do you want Tesco to do your reading for you also?

Moral of the story? Shop like an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭marrm

The ones 3 for €3 are clearly marked. The manager is correct -it is up to the customer to be aware of what they are buying - it was probably another customer who put stuff back to the wrong area that confused you. What, do you want Tesco to do your reading for you also?

Moral of the story? Shop like an adult.

Sounds like you work for TESCO, you are certainly making excuses for them.

Please read my text again:

Was told by L****** THAT IT WAS TESCO POLICY TO PUT BOTH TYPES (AT DIFFERENT PRICES) IN THE SAME BASKET, IT WAS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO PICK THE RIGHT ONES!

She did NOT claim that the higher- priced items had been left there by customers, she specifically stated that it was TESCO policy to mix the higher price items in with the special offers.

DELIBERATE RIPOFF, I think. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sounds like you work for TESCO, you are certainly making excuses for them.

Please read my text again:

Was told by L****** THAT IT WAS TESCO POLICY TO PUT BOTH TYPES (AT DIFFERENT PRICES) IN THE SAME BASKET, IT WAS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO PICK THE RIGHT ONES!

She did NOT claim that the higher- priced items had been left there by customers, she specifically stated that it was TESCO policy to mix the higher price items in with the special offers.

DELIBERATE RIPOFF, I think. :mad::mad::mad:

To be honest I was taking the bolded part with a pinch of salt. But it is still down to the customer to pay attention to what they are buying. Hey, diesel and petrol are on the same pump - do you just grab the closest one to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Was caught by this a few times, I now shop in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

reprazant wrote: »
    That's teenage shelf stacker's being told not to leave any spaces on the shelves.

BINGO!!!
    I was told this when working at Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You also have to watch out for stuff left in the wrong place by some idiot customers, who, when they spot a cheaper item, swap it for the expensive one that they picked up earlier. An un-suspecting customer then picks it up and has a dust-up at the till because they think they've been ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes were mixing the seconds in with Grade A stock, charging full price for all and hoping not to get caught. Weren't Dunnes misleading the customers, if not being downright dishonest?:confused:
    It seems there is nothing really to 'get caught' about though. Now if dunnes were selling nike brand seconds as new stock I am sure nike would not be impressed. But it sounds like your friend was making generic jumpers and dunnes were willing to buy what HE considered seconds and sell them as being up to their own dunnes standard of quality (which is lower than his standards). It is really up to them to decide what they deem fit to sell and call 'normal' not your friend.

When I am unsure of items I cross check the barcode with the one on the shelf label, of course unwrapped fruit has none though.

They were selling all the items for one price though and clearly marking that price on the shelf. Tesco are putting dearer goods into the same displays as cheaper goods that look exactly alike and claiming they are all at the cheaper price by only having the cheaper price on the shelf!
    To be honest I was taking the bolded part with a pinch of salt. But it is still down to the customer to pay attention to what they are buying. Hey, diesel and petrol are on the same pump - do you just grab the closest one to you?
    And if you saw a sign on that pump 30litres for €30 and bought 30litres of diesel but when paying you get told that price only applies to the petrol?

rubadub wrote: »
    It seems there is nothing really to 'get caught' about though. Now if dunnes were selling nike brand seconds as new stock I am sure nike would not be impressed. But it sounds like your friend was making generic jumpers and dunnes were willing to buy what HE considered seconds and sell them as being up to their own dunnes standard of quality (which is lower than his standards). It is really up to them to decide what they deem fit to sell and call 'normal' not your friend.

When I am unsure of items I cross check the barcode with the one on the shelf label, of course unwrapped fruit has none though.

What a complete crock that post is. I really hope you or Foggy don't work in retail business if you believe it's ok to sell faulty stock as perfect.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

To be fair each item in the 3 for 3 is marked clearly with a big red label.

The shelf label does state clearly that it only applies to marked products.

But i agree, its far from ideal, when getting this the other day i had to walk up and down the isle to find the items it refers to.

To be fair each item in the 3 for 3 is marked clearly with a big red label.

The shelf label does state clearly that it only applies to marked products.

But i agree, its far from ideal, when getting this the other day i had to walk up and down the isle to find the items it refers to.
    And then the other more expensive items were in the same shelf space but remained without any price on the shelf.

What a complete crock that post is. I really hope you or Foggy don't work in retail business if you believe it's ok to sell faulty stock as perfect.:rolleyes:
    Roll your eyes all you want, but you're just showing your ignorance even more now. Do you think I was lying or was incorrect?

Quality control has always been part of my current job, I would set acceptance levels for other inspectors and producers, how to check and techniques for measuring/gauging acceptability. I design machines and components will be drawn up and have tolerances, e.g. a piece of tube must be 50mm +/-5mm, if I lower this to 50mm +/-1mm then it is going to cost more to produce. We decide +/-5mm is good enough for our use and what our customers expect. -Clothes manufacturers and sellers will do the same thing. Its not that hard a concept to grasp, what you consider 'faulty' others might deem perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Tesco Light Choices Honey and Mustard salad dressing and tesco croutons supposed to be both for €1.20. Didn't get any discount at till.

Their discount brand redbull (1L bottle) 2 for €2. No discount at til.

Rip off place completely!! Only go in there for a few bits that Aldi wouldn't have but will have to try and wean myself off them because I just feel sick when I shop there.

• Advertisement

Monife wrote: »
    No discount at til.

Ye, ya have to watch them like a hawk. They do wonderful meals for 2 including a bottle of wine or orange juice, but it's only at certain times or certain selections etc, if you buy the extra desert or the juice and wine, you're charged the full price for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Tesco Cous Cous 500g = 99c
    Tesco Cous Cous 1kg = €2.39

Wtf?!? Surely the bigger pack would be priced slightly less than the price of 2 500g bags (2 bags = €1.98).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Monife wrote: »
    Tesco Cous Cous 500g = 99c
    Tesco Cous Cous 1kg = €2.39

Wtf?!? Surely the bigger pack would be priced slightly less than the price of 2 500g bags (2 bags = €1.98).

No - not neccessarily. Usually the most popular pack is the cheapest. Many reasons for this, 1 - popular size is made in huge quantities thus savings in manufacturing time. 2 - most popular size is shipped bigger quantities and bigger outer boxes, saving on delivery costs ans packaging. 3 - smaller size is popular and store wants to get it to sell at a particular price point and will take a smaller profit in order to do so.

I remember in some other thread somebody actually thought it was illegal to sell larger packs for more per 100g! Along with the reasons above I expect some shops also do it to take advantage of people like this. In tesco the twin packs of coke are often more than 2 separate ones.

Family size tins of beans, peas, curry sauce etc are usually more expensive per 100g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tesco can offer savings to smart people by making stupid people pay more

They are not RIPPING OFF!!!!!!1 anyone btw

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Here are my GOLDEN rules of supermarket shopping:

CAREFULLY check the price of EVERY item you buy.

Compare different brands, compare different sizes for best value.

Watch out for specials - there's usually one type of cheese, tea, cereal etc on offer (I generally buy the one on offer, being a careful consumer myself :))

WATCH prices charged as they go through the register.

CHECK your receipt before you leave.

(And it's very useful to check best before dates also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

at the end of the day the op could have got a refund and bought the correct (stickered) items instead. My wife is always getting caught out in tescos with stuff like this. I think they are being clever and she's just not that bothered to check like I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Tesco can offer savings to smart people by making stupid people pay more

They are not RIPPING OFF!!!!!!1 anyone btw

mmmmmh, nice.... Any more smug comment?

People can just be in a rush, or be distracted by a thought or by kids... I check things 99% of the times, and there is always the 1% when I have other things in mind and I get caught. I usually blame myself because queuing at the customer service is a pain but wouldn't think it makes me stupid.

Never got caught buying something that you buys week on week and all of the sudden the price is going up a good bit and you don't notice until you check your receipt?

[QUOTE=Nanazolie;78862666 the price is going up a good bit and you don't notice until you check your receipt?[/QUOTE]

Over the years, the past 29 years of a growing family, shopping in Dunnes and Tesco mostly, I would notice that one store's price would rise generally costing as much as £30 more out of the blue ~ I'd immediately switch to the other store and my regular shopping would be back to 'normal' but after a couple of months, their prices would shoot up too and we'd go back to the first store again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, thats a poor analogy as petrol and diesel are distinctly different nozzles and the steps are taken to ensure that the customer is not confused (nozzle colour and size). It also displays the price per litre on the screen of whichever one you opt for.

It's that meal deal thing again, I know.

Last night my wife ran in for a six pack and for a reason that I don't understand she decided she's get one of those meal deals for the tenner, I was oblivious waiting in the pick up area and after half an hour I phoned her angrily.

Ten minuter later I phoned her again and told her to put back whatever she had and leave it.

That's a long story, well they were charging her €25 for that meal deal ~

And here is a good one from another store, two labels read two for €14 and buy one get one free, so that's €7 ~ grand job! Wife hands over €22 for two ~ git back in dat shop says I ~ If I had not bee on the alert I#d be contributing to this thread again .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Tesco are a multinational, multi-currency retailer that have tens of thousands of items in every store, which are managed by a staff who usually don't really care if something is less than perfect and their stock control systems are probably outdated and shaky at the best of times. So if special offers don't appear at the checkout it's up to the customer to pick up on it. Shouldn't have to be that way but it is.

If it was the other way around and you got charged €1 for your €3 items you'd keep quiet and not say anything. There's even a thread in Bargain Alerts for people to take advantage of Tesco deals and misprices. So instead of coming on here complaining and acting indignant because Tesco aren't holding your hand when you shop with them, please just act like a responsible consumer.

please just act like a responsible consumer.

Funny thing, long before this thread started I switched the bulk of my shopping to ALDI, we're back in TESCO, as per my last post, for a quick six pack, actually because ALDI was closed and my wife walks into the meal deal trap.

TBH, an offer is either on or not, it should be like the off licence, fenced off when not available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Whenever I get ripped off by a shop and have to waste my time standing in the Customer Services queue, I feel generally embarassed because for some unknown reason I fell like a cheapskate for standing up for my rights. To make matters worse there is usually people behind you in the queue who are tutting because they want me to hurry up so they can be served.

If I dont get the desired outcome, I have no hesitation in squashing some items of food. Its quite theraputic. Im aware of course that this will only contribute to price increases as those items wouldnt be picked up by a consumer and would either be thrown or reduced in price, but I dont care. I think several ruined cakes, sandwiches, biscuits packets etc is enough to make me feel better. ;)

Whenever I get ripped off by a shop and have to waste my time standing in the Customer Services queue, I feel generally embarassed because for some unknown reason I fell like a cheapskate for standing up for my rights. To make matters worse there is usually people behind you in the queue who are tutting because they want me to hurry up so they can be served.

If I dont get the desired outcome, I have no hesitation in squashing some items of food. Its quite theraputic. Im aware of course that this will only contribute to price increases as those items wouldnt be picked up by a consumer and would either be thrown or reduced in price, but I dont care. I think several ruined cakes, sandwiches, biscuits packets etc is enough to make me feel better. ;)

:eek: So you are contributing to the already tremendous waste of food just to make you feel better? Would you do the same if the bus driver short changed you? Smash a few windows or slash a few seats?

Longhalloween, agree up to a point. Some offers, like the "3 fruits for 3€" run for weeks, and if 10 customers point out a mistake to the customer service officer it should be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Like something my two year old would do :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Would you do the same if the bus driver short changed you? Smash a few windows or slash a few seats?

It depends, if I have access to the driver a quick jab to the jaw usually has the desired affect! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

gbee wrote: »
    Funny thing, long before this thread started I switched the bulk of my shopping to ALDI, we're back in TESCO, as per my last post, for a quick six pack, actually because ALDI was closed and my wife walks into the meal deal trap.

TBH, an offer is either on or not, it should be like the off licence, fenced off when not available.

The meal deal is not a 'trap'. :rolleyes:

Your wife went into Tesco after 8pm (Aldis usual closing time) and expected the shelves to be stocked to perfection for her. So it seems all the components of the meal deal aren't available - sold out - because it is a good deal, so your wife either has picked up the wrong thing off the shelf, or is demanding a similar deal to those not in stock from other items on the shelf?

I've gone into tesco on plenty of occasions to get that meal and a quick scan of the shelves will tell you whether all the items are available. There's shelf edge strips, stickers and large signs around the bay that indicate what items are in the meal deal at that particular time.

Maybe it should be fenced off for consumers that are unable to read that A,B, C are the items that are included AND NO OTHER. :rolleyes:

The meal deal is not a 'trap'. :rolleyes:
    Your wife went into Tesco after 8pm :rolleyes:

Look, my wife is not a rocket scientist, she was attracted by the adverts clearly visible in the store ~ I know exactly what you said ~ I call it a trap because there are so many stipulations to it ~

It's simple. Pull out a big sign from the back store that says MEAL DEAL NOW ON. Anytime it can't be fulfilled, TAKE THE SIGN DOWN.

There are too many complaints here and on other forums around the country for any one to suspect the deal offer is left up after it has closed with the deliberate intention of duping shoppers who might not notice the extra price in a trolley full of shopping.

And when the practices continue after official complaints being made it's time IMO to take this further.

Look, my wife is not a rocket scientist, she was attracted by the adverts clearly visible in the store ~ I know exactly what you said ~ I call it a trap because there are so many stipulations to it ~

It's simple. Pull out a big sign from the back store that says MEAL DEAL NOW ON. Anytime it can't be fulfilled, TAKE THE SIGN DOWN.

There are too many complaints here and on other forums around the country for any one to suspect the deal offer is left up after it has closed with the deliberate intention of duping shoppers who might not notice the extra price in a trolley full of shopping.

And when the practices continue after official complaints being made it's time IMO to take this further.

They run the deal most of the year, with the only exception I've ever seen was over Christmas/New Year. They change the stock every 2/3 weeks and the dates for each particular product are marked on the shelf edge strip sign. You hardly expect them to take down ALL signage if they are due a delivery in the following day/overnight?

I'm no rocket scientist by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It's that meal deal thing again, I know.

Last night my wife ran in for a six pack and for a reason that I don't understand she decided she's get one of those meal deals for the tenner, I was oblivious waiting in the pick up area and after half an hour I phoned her angrily.

Ten minuter later I phoned her again and told her to put back whatever she had and leave it.

That's a long story, well they were charging her €25 for that meal deal ~

is it possible that some inconsiderate customer(s) had dumped non-offer items in the area, and that your wife picked up one or more of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »

Well it's either:

She picked up the wrong items
    She picked up other items close by but not included.
    She picked up whatever she wanted and demanded they be included.

I drew my conclusions from the information the poster states:
    My wife walks into the meal deal trap

So unless you take it literally where Mrs Gbee walks into Tesco and is 'trapped' by all the packets of Tesco finest starters meals and desserts. Then I think I have the correct analogy.;)

Another important thing to note is that Aldi was closed. So it was late in the day, plenty of shopping done and empty shelves galore. If there was an incorrect price that had prohibited the meal deal from working then the shelf would either have been cleared of stock to prohibit the purchase or the error would have been corrected on the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Every time you make a genuine mistake, it seems that you are either dumb or you can't read... I envy you, who never gets anything wrong.

There are stores where the shelves are not stacked very neatly, above all at the end of the day (although to be fair to Tesco and Dunnes, they usually do pretty well. Worse offenders are SuperValu), you could easily think that this item is included when it's the one close by which looks pretty similar. Sure, it's not Tesco trying to mislead people, but if that thing happens too often, may be they could just make everyone's (and that includes the people at customer service) life easier by having the items included in the offer on a designated section of the fridge.

Look, I once got caught with the lunch offer, I picked up a sandwich with the red sticker, a bag of fruits with the red sticker. None of the juices/ water bottles had a red sticker so I read the offer and it said "apple or orange juice" (no detail), I picked up the Tesco apple juice. But no, it should have been the Tropicana one, which funny enough is much dearer than the Tesco one. Why not make things clearer and add a red sticker to the juices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

I was in tesco in limerick and was looking for the 3 for 3 euro fruit. called a supervisor and he could not find 3 different types of fruit in the offer. Eventually he found 3 in different sections of the shop. The same with the meat offers of 3 for 9 euro. Mixed in with non offer meats. When there is a sign on the shelf for an offer, all items in the offer should be available on those shelves. Expressed my disappointment to the customer service but heard no more.

I'm no rocket scientist by the way.

This is part of the point we are making.

Incidentally, by law, you might find that the request you mention is in fact a requirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

thats a sneaky ploy putting two different priced fruits of the same type in the one basket - tesco policy to trick the customers it seems

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Every time you make a genuine mistake, it seems that you are either dumb or you can't read... I envy you, who never gets anything wrong.

I make mistakes myself, but the point I'm trying to make was that the meal deal is not a 'trap'. It's one of their best sellers in my local branch and by my own experience, has mostly sold out when it comes to the evening time.

There are stores where the shelves are not stacked very neatly, above all at the end of the day (although to be fair to Tesco and Dunnes, they usually do pretty well. Worse offenders are SuperValu), you could easily think that this item is included when it's the one close by which looks pretty similar. Sure, it's not Tesco trying to mislead people, but if that thing happens too often, may be they could just make everyone's (and that includes the people at customer service) life easier by having the items included in the offer on a designated section of the fridge.

I must shop in a particularly good branch, all offers are always together, the only thing I've ever had to do was ask a staff member to find the wine for the meal deal. (and since this they've moved it to a more prominent position, not just on account of me I would imagine)
    Look, I once got caught with the lunch offer, I picked up a sandwich with the red sticker, a bag of fruits with the red sticker. None of the juices/ water bottles had a red sticker so I read the offer and it said "apple or orange juice" (no detail), I picked up the Tesco apple juice. But no, it should have been the Tropicana one, which funny enough is much dearer than the Tesco one. Why not make things clearer and add a red sticker to the juices?

Easily done, but at the same time, not a 'trap'. You in fact considered the own brand juice to be the included item rather than the more expensive branded one. You don't say you got caught in the lunch offer 'trap'. You benefitted from the offer being better than you thought.

Please don't anyone reply.

I moved 95% of my shopping because of all the stuff in thread: FACT: And this pre-dates this actual thread.

Fact: people are STILL experiencing the difficulties that I and my wife have observed for decades.

It doesn't really bother me, I'm not holding a grudge, it's not worth the hassle to me and to give people an idea of my spend we used to receive €300 cash backs a couple of times a year.

When threads like this stop appearing I'l probably forget all about it and wander back in again some time in the future, but I don't want to go shopping with my guard up and I shop where I feel I don't have to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement