Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TESCO deliberate rip-off

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twinge

I'm losing any respect I had for Tesco. Not only have they dropped the giving you a 100% refund (and always play dumb when it comes to the 2x the difference back new policy), but their prices are outrageous.
    Case in point - market value oranges were 99c last summer. In winter, the price went up to 1.19. Now, market value oranges are 1.49 - a 50% mark up in 1 year?! Newsflash Tesco, you can get 1.5 kg of oranges at Lidl for 1.89!
    Today I saw the own brand nacho chips I used to buy a few summers ago for 37c at 1.00 now. Again, Tesco - Aldi sell these for 89c!
    Have you ever noticed that when Tesco does the price comparison tags they never beat Aldi or Lidl prices, only match them?

My main rant is that they have advertised Ireland car window shades for two weeks now, but you can't find them in any store. How nice when we actually have sunny weather (and ergo, superhot cars!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

twinge wrote: »
    I'm losing any respect I had for Tesco. Not only have they dropped the giving you a 100% refund (and always play dumb when it comes to the 2x the difference back new policy), but their prices are outrageous.
    Case in point - market value oranges were 99c last summer. In winter, the price went up to 1.19. Now, market value oranges are 1.49 - a 50% mark up in 1 year?! Newsflash Tesco, you can get 1.5 kg of oranges at Lidl for 1.89!
    Today I saw the own brand nacho chips I used to buy a few summers ago for 37c at 1.00 now. Again, Tesco - Aldi sell these for 89c!
    Have you ever noticed that when Tesco does the price comparison tags they never beat Aldi or Lidl prices, only match them?[

The older style bag which was priced at 37c and the old value branding was IIRC only 100g for a good few years NOT 200G. I remember them being far smaller as I empty them into a bowl and sprinkle cheese and jalapenos over them. I would get one bowl out of the old packs. They were clearly smaller then the packs they have now.

They did increase the size and the price went up to 75c, but now they are €1 with new branding. Still far cheaper compared against the branded ones.

And the tortilla chips in Aldi are only 75c at the moment, not 89c for 200g. Best value of them all.

My main rant is that they have advertised Ireland car window shades for two weeks now, but you can't find them in any store. How nice when we actually have sunny weather (and ergo, superhot cars!)

Having worked for a nursery retailer for a number of years you would not believe how many sun blinds and buggy parasols are sold during periods like this. I recall one June weekend a few years ago counting over 200 parasols going through the till on one day, in just one store. We would be lucky to sell maybe 10 average per week. By Saturday evening every parasol and sun shade had been sold from our stock. So hardly surprising that they are sold out right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 twinge

Thanks for the update - Aldi is the cheapest.
    As for the sun shades, they are NOT sold out, but rather not available. I have checked not one but a three Tesco branches, and they are not listed on the shelves (ie no price tag), and when asked, store employees respond "we don't have them"
    False advertising - why hand out leaflets for a product that is not stocked - in not one but three branches (checked in the last week)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The ireland window shades are in tesco ardkeen, they are re-filled by a merchandiser, tesco doesnt order them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

reading through the posts here, i gather that the shops are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, and some people say we should be much more detailed about looking at price tags, but sometimes people are on hurry home after day at work and tired, i think it is a disgrace that the price on display is the price that we pay is not adhered to, and not being able to trust those that depend on us to keep the business going for them, it shows what little thanks they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

thats a sneaky ploy putting two different priced fruits of the same type in the one basket - tesco policy to trick the customers it seems

I don't think that's the case. It's Tesco's job to make it easy to shop there. If it was difficult people would go elsewhere.

So if they mixed up the special offer products with the regular products then not only would the have to give double the difference back, they'd also lose a customer.

A more likely explanation is that some customer picked up some regular produce off the shelved, then saw the special offer, said 'f**k this', put the cheaper stuff into the trolley and dumped the more expensive stuff into the special offer bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A more likely explanation is that some customer picked up some regular produce off the shelved, then saw the special offer, said 'f**k this', put the cheaper stuff into the trolley and dumped the more expensive stuff into the special offer bin

Covered by me in Post No 14, but that was back at the dawn of time, and no-one bothers reading back that far.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Tesco are still at it. Picked up a leaflet on the way into Tesco today and in big print Offers from 10th to 24th Sept. Underneath wine sale - 5 euro. Went to wine section and picked up some 5 euro wine offers. On a different shelf the same wine was priced at 7 euro. Asked the assistant who informed me that wine sale was over on 18th sept , yesterday. Looked a t leaflet and in small print wine offers were from 10th to 18th Sept. Also the small print on the wine shelf said this. Asked a Manager why was the wine still being advertised at lower price and he seemed surprised and offered to 'look into it'. This is happening very often in Tesco and I am going to stop shopping there for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    Tesco are still at it. Picked up a leaflet on the way into Tesco today and in big print Offers from 10th to 24th Sept. Underneath wine sale - 5 euro. Went to wine section and picked up some 5 euro wine offers. On a different shelf the same wine was priced at 7 euro. Asked the assistant who informed me that wine sale was over on 18th sept , yesterday. Looked a t leaflet and in small print wine offers were from 10th to 18th Sept. Also the small print on the wine shelf said this. Asked a Manager why was the wine still being advertised at lower price and he seemed surprised and offered to 'look into it'. This is happening very often in Tesco and I am going to stop shopping there for this reason.

The end of offer date was on the shelf label? I wouldn't say this is untentional misleading, just a human error. There are 100s of special offers that end at different dates, the staff have only a few hours to remove all the labels and replace them with the usual label, them add some more yellow labels to new special offers... Sometimes, the special offer item is available at several locations within the store, multiplying the risks of errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the big print would be offers that are available between those dates i would think. not that the items are all on offer during that date range???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You have to watch everything you buy in Tesco as they are always doing something dodgy. The dogfood section is very tricky as they change the prices very often and some of their signs are misleading.

Advertisement