Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month j1 + filing taxes

Options
  • 24-01-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I arrived in the US in October and in 2011 I only worked November and December. For those who have been in the U.S working on the 12 month j1, what form did you guys fill out? 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ? Did you also have to fill out form 8843?

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You should be able to use the 1040NR-EZ but be sure to look through both and see if you need the 1040NR for anything (there are a few extra fields).

You'll also need form 843 to refund your social security tax IF you've been paying it. Some employers have a system to not charge you that tax but if you have been paying it then you can get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I've only been paying Federal Tax. Form 8843 seems to only deal with j1s in the context of students and asks for university information etc, so I am not sure about filling that out or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You should be able to use the 1040NR-EZ but be sure to look through both and see if you need the 1040NR for anything (there are a few extra fields).

You'll also need form 843 to refund your social security tax IF you've been paying it. Some employers have a system to not charge you that tax but if you have been paying it then you can get a refund.
    J1's are typically 1040NR as the residency requirement is seldom fulfilled. Check it out here(http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=129431,00.html) but i am willing to bet it is 1040NR

Both the 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR are for non-residents, the difference being one is a less complex version of the other (EZ..easy :P). There's a useful list here to know which one to use.

Megglz, the form 8843 is different to the form 843.

Form 8843 is only to exclude days of presence in the US to decide whether you are a resident or non-resident. I don't think you were even in the US long enough last year to have to worry about this.

Form 843 is for filing for a refund on social security tax. If you never paid this, then you don't have to worry about this form. I would double check with payroll/HR to see if you paid this or not, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Both the 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR are for non-residents, the difference being one is a less complex version of the other (EZ..easy :P). There's a useful list here to know which one to use.

Megglz, the form 8843 is different to the form 843.

Form 8843 is only to exclude days of presence in the US to decide whether you are a resident or non-resident. I don't think you were even in the US long enough last year to have to worry about this.

Form 843 is for filing for a refund on social security tax. If you never paid this, then you don't have to worry about this form. I would double check with payroll/HR to see if you paid this or not, just to be sure.

Sorry your right, thought you wrote 1040 EZ for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 the_fogue

Last summer, I worked full time in the States on a J1 visa. My W-2 says that I did pay Social Security and Medicare. How do you know if you are eligible to claim this back or not?

Are you ready for some reading?

Aliens Employed in the U.S. – Social Security Taxes will explain if you should get it back or not.

To see if you are a resident or not (probably not if it was your first time) you can do some more reading and calculations from the Substantial Presence Test article.

Finally, if you want to apply for it, there's instructions and a link to the actual 843 form here.

ALWAYS remember, if you are looking up any IRS information regarding taxes, always take it from a legitimate website. i.e. IRS.gov or any other .gov websites they may direct you to.

Advertisement