Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rappers?

• 24-01-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anyone do a bitta homemade rap/hip hop?

I experiment with it, I haven't got the best mic or software but I'm only starting out and I thought I'd show ye some stuff anyway.

I haven't made my own songs yet but I have covered other songs. I have done two Linkin Park covers, here's my rap cover of Linkin Park's best song "In The End". Check out my other tune "Faint" as well.

As I said, bear with the quality :):):)

If you do any hip hop stuff at home yourself, please reply to this thread, I wanna hear it! Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Hip Hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Sounds fine mate, good try for someone just really recently giving it a go.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

i dont get it it??? your just repeating of the lyrics of the original song nah???
    just had a look at your cover of 'faint',thats load of bollocks biy haha all your do is repeating his own lyrics **** sake ha

i dont get it it??? your just repeating of the lyrics of the original song nah???
    just had a look at your cover of 'faint',thats load of bollocks biy haha all your do is repeating his own lyrics **** sake ha
    Don't be a dikk, read his post and you'll see he said he's COVERED linkin park, he also said, HE HASN'T MADE HIS OWN MUSIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Don't be a dikk, read his post and you'll see he said he's COVERED linkin park, he also said, HE HASN'T MADE HIS OWN MUSIC.

easy on tiger,ya but usually a cover tends to have a slight difference to the original but this is the exact same,sounds like hes just readin the lyrics of a sheet and he also has an extremley montone voice,so just giving the guy my honest opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

easy on tiger,ya but usually a cover tends to have a slight difference to the original but this is the exact same,sounds like hes just readin the lyrics of a sheet and he also has an extremley montone voice,so just giving the guy my honest opinion.

That's fine, but you don't need to be an obnoxious dick while you're giving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It is great that this, yes this whatever it is, gets more watches/listens/replies than actual Irish Hip-hop on this board.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Enough of the bickering, back on topic.

This issue crops up periodically, not just on this forum. The problem with putting something up for review on a public forum and inviting opinions on it as the thread starter has done is that there is no way to guarantee you'll only get positive responses. Having said that, Yo! MTV SUCKS could probably have been a bit politer with his response. It's nice to be nice and all that.

Anyway, welcome to the forum anishboi!

Saying something is shyt is one thing, in that sense I totally agree, if he thought that was the case he should have just said so.
    but the lad spelled out exactly what it is he had done, he hasn't claimed he's produced a great new version of an old song, he's not claiming he's a serious rapper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

There's just a nice way of giving an opinion without being unpleasant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Malice wrote: »
    This issue crops up periodically, not just on this forum. The problem with putting something up for review on a public forum and inviting opinions on it as the thread starter has done is that there is no way to guarantee you'll only get positive responses. Having said that, Yo! MTV SUCKS could probably have been a bit politer with his response. It's nice to be nice and all that.

Anyway, welcome to the forum anishboi!

I put the song up for review, as long as people don't act like dicks, I welcome all opinions, whether they be good, bad or mediocre. That's why want a third party opinion, to know where to improve, or to be complemented.

If anyone else happens to read this post and hear the song, please take note of that!

And cheers there Hugh Cream ;)

Anyway, can I've more opinions please? Cheers!

It is great that this, yes this whatever it is, gets more watches/listens/replies than actual Irish Hip-hop on this board.

I call myself Irish.

anishboi wrote: »
    I call myself Irish.

I meant actual rappers or producers, that is in no way a put down on you I am just pointing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

There was no emotion in your voice man, that's something you're gonna have to work on :)

I call myself Irish.

I meant actual rappers or producers, that is in no way a put down on you I am just pointing it out.

Ah right I got ya, sorry I thought you were trying to say that I'm not an Irish rapper or something like that.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    There was no emotion in your voice man, that's something you're gonna have to work on :)

Cheers for the comment man :)
    Ya few people have told me that, I think it's partly because I have a ****e mic, so it doesn't really pick up great detail, just picks up a monotone sound. Hopefully I can improve on it later on though, thanks for pointing it out ;)

Hey lads if ye have YouTube accounts handy then would ye mind going over to the video page and leaving your opinion/like/dislike over there? I'd appreciate that.

And even if you don't, please keep the opinions coming here in the forum, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Don't know what to say really except maybe try writing your own lyrics and make original songs? Rap karaoke isn't much more than a party piece. I wouldn't go trying to spread a video around and gather a following doing it.

The audience for people rapping into an onboard/PC microphone is pretty limited. Just make tunes for yourself for a while (and look at what other people in this country are doing) then get someone to record you when you've gotten good. That takes a long time but a little patience and there's nothing stopping you.

Don't know what to say really except maybe try writing your own lyrics and make original songs? Rap karaoke isn't much more than a party piece. I wouldn't go trying to spread a video around and gather a following doing it.

The audience for people rapping into an onboard/PC microphone is pretty limited. Just make tunes for yourself for a while (and look at what other people in this country are doing) then get someone to record you when you've gotten good. That takes a long time but a little patience and there's nothing stopping you.
    personally id say avoid looking at whats coming out of this country and steer your own ship.
    dont conform to try and fit in either, the less "bleedin rapids's" we hear in songs the better imo.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advice dude. I personally find covers a good way to start out your venture in music, as people can judge whether or not you have the technique required to make your own music.

Also, I will have some of my own songs written soon, but the reason I broadcast my PC mic versions is so that I can get opinions on how good my lyrics and style are before I go and pursue professional recording on something that people aren't going to listen to.

I dunno, that's my view? I appreciate your advice :D:D:D

I do not think I have ever heard bleedin rapid in a song - links?

Anyway, covers and rap do not go well unless you were covering tonedeff or Drake or someone with some singing elements so you would be displaying some singing ability but just rapping their words is a bit bland tbh.

Anyway, covers and rap do not go well unless you were covering tonedeff or Drake or someone with some singing elements so you would be displaying some singing ability but just rapping their words is a bit bland tbh.

It may be bland but my main motive for uploading is I was looking for people who love hip hop enough to be able to analyse it, then they could judge my technique, flow, rhythm etc etc..

Does anyone have any of their own tunes, or even know of any friend who makes their own tunes, that they could post up here?

Check this out as well lads :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt6AdOkvmxM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 UnklePhil

I was generilizing, surely that's obvious?

It may be bland but my main motive for uploading is I was looking for people who love hip hop enough to be able to analyse it, then they could judge my technique, flow, rhythm etc etc..
    Pay no attention mate, their hip hop snobs, big load of ****** if you ask me, it's begiining to get boring.

Do what you like, if you like covering tunes keep doIng it.

I personally find covers a good way to start out your venture in music, as people can judge whether or not you have the technique required to make your own music.
    This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it be easier for people to judge your merits if they didn't first compare you (intentionally or not) to whatever vocalist you're covering?

• Advertisement

No you can make a judgment, whether it's a cover is irrelivant.
    It could be argued a persons ability may be over shadowed by the ****ty self penned song their performing.

That's a genuine argument IMO, personally speaking I feel I'd still be able to make a judgment.
    But the point is valid.

With rap it's hard to develop technique for a ton of reasons I sort of went into in the Lecs Luther topic. If you're going to rap in your own accent (which is the right thing to do) then you're going to have to develop your own cadence and delivery style. Copying American rappers can often work against you and then you have to spend ages trying to get rid of the yank sounding aspect which makes an Irish person seem like a wigger.

As I said before with Irish rap you have to go through a long teething period of sounding embarrassing before you get good enough to sound credible. It's just a symptom of there not being a ton of Irish rappers. The American rap beginners just jack some other American rapper for a couple of years before they develop their own style so they sound generic rather than cringey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Anyone do a bitta homemade rap/hip hop?

I experiment with it, I haven't got the best mic or software but I'm only starting out and I thought I'd show ye some stuff anyway.

I haven't made my own songs yet but I have covered other songs. I have done two Linkin Park covers, here's my rap cover of Linkin Park's best song "In The End". Check out my other tune "Faint" as well.

As I said, bear with the quality :):):)

If you do any hip hop stuff at home yourself, please reply to this thread, I wanna hear it! Cheers.

pretty cool effort there dude , keep it up
    I couldn't wrap a xmas present , I tried on the night of my stag , I had a go at too $horts tune paystyles ..........got a bit of praise for that , but I was totally sh1t-faced ,
    haven't really got the b'lls to try now tho , i hate the sound of my own voice

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Everyones got to start somewhere. The benefits that I see from this type of approach is that you learn more about rhyme pattern and delivery and timing.
    What annoys the crap out of me is verses that are structurally all over the place, there is a kind of battle thread on this forum that has countless examples of this and made me chuckle to myself. Say for example, the first few lines of a verse are 4 or 5 words. Then the last few lines are 11-12 words. How in the name of jaysus can that actually be delivered in the same time unless you are Busta, Twista or Mac Lethal.

Then there are the verses that look some thing like this:

word word word word word word
    word
    word word word
    word word word
    word word word
    word word word word word
    word word word word word word word
    word word word word word word word word
    word
    word word word word
    word
    word word
    word word word word word word word word word word word word

This sounds completel.y ridiculous in most cases and the mc is racing to get to the end of a line, and doesnt have the breath control to get to the next.

So I guess what I'm saying is that by covering other peoples songs, you are getting a feeling for the structure of lines and how things should sound.

Keep it simple to start, get more complex as you go along if you think you can.

A few people are saying that I shoul make my own rhymes rather than cover someone else's. Well I'll have a new song of my own recorded soon, it's partially about our economy so you can all relate to it :)

Anyway I found a good instrumental on YouTube I could use. I'll upload when it's done, stay tuned! :)

Malice wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't it be easier for people to judge your merits if they didn't first compare you (intentionally or not) to whatever vocalist you're covering?

Yeah many people have different views on this, but I'm going to make a tune of my own anyway so it can be judged too.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah many people have different views on this, but I'm going to make a tune of my own anyway so it can be judged too.
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Great, can't wait to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

It's true you can't judge someones rapping ability if they do a cover. Hip Hop is all about style and originality, doing your own thing. Like others have said it takes time to get your own style, so till then its ok to take influences and sounds from other MCs.

Here's some irish Hip hop from some lads I know:

If your serious about rapping then I'd be glad to make a beat for you. Here's something I cooked up the other day, if you can flow over it and rap then feel free to message me the finished piece.
    http://soundcloud.com/lethal-dosage/space-invaders-16bars

Hatred wrote: »
    It's true you can't judge someones rapping ability if they do a cover. Hip Hop is all about style and originality, doing your own thing. Like others have said it takes time to get your own style, so till then its ok to take influences and sounds from other MCs.

If your serious about rapping then I'd be glad to make a beat for you. Here's something I cooked up the other day, if you can flow over it and rap then feel free to message me the finished piece.

Cool man I'd be happy to flow a rhyme over your beat for ya :) It won't be the best quality (as I said a few times I don't have the best software) but I'll mail you the track when it's done :cool: :cool:

Is Lethal dosage your account on Soundcloud? You've some good stuff!

Hatred wrote: »

i agree with that to an extent but by the same token who is original, the guys in the video posted dont sound original, in fact they sound like every other irish guy trying to rap.
    (oh, and before im asked im not posting examples)
    originality and style do play a part but i wouldnt say its all about that, it really is hard to be original imo, everything seems to have been done.
    and theres definitely nothing original about irish hip hop so i wouldnt advise anyone that thats what they need to be.

in fact dont advise him what he needs to do, let him find his own path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Is Lethal dosage your account on Soundcloud? You've some good stuff!

oh yeah its an Amen for lethal

Sons Phonetic don't sound like other Irish rap artists at all. I think they've got a lot of UKHH influence which gives them a different slant.

Most of the Irish artists that are good and actually have a proper sound aesthetic sound really different from each other. There isn't really any Irish hip hop sound in the general sense. MJEX have a sort of Anticon kind of sound. Lethal Dialect sounds a bit like Marcberg or something. Infomatics are on that higher tempo fast rapping kind of thing with live instrumentation.

Sons Phonetic don't sound like other Irish rap artists at all. I think they've got a lot of UKHH influence which gives them a different slant.

Most of the Irish artists that are good and actually have a proper sound aesthetic sound really different from each other. There isn't really any Irish hip hop sound in the general sense. MJEX have a sort of Anticon kind of sound. Lethal Dialect sounds a bit like Marcberg or something. Infomatics are on that higher tempo fast rapping kind of thing with live instrumentation.
    every irish act sounds like someone else, a bad version of someone, so in that sense there is nothing original about irish hip hop.
    Sons Phonetic sound like someone else, some other act, that is not their own sound, thats the point im making.

Nonsense.

Unless you want to make the same point about most american rappers and r&b singers too in the way most of them sound like someone else too.

But if you are singling out IHH (which is a very very broad genre) then that is just nonsense.

To say Rob Kelly sounds like anyone else is ridiculous, whereas you could make the point that MJEX sound similar to some other acts much like how you could say the same for 1000's of American artists. Sounding similar is not a bad thing though, it is influence not just black and white robbery of a style.

its nonsense that you would blindly defend something thats so obvious, it really is, why would you do that?
    nothing about irish hip hop is original, the majority is awful, thats a given, they dont sound exactly like nas or whoever it is they are imitating, but they are imitating someone.
    for you to say that is not the case is ridiculously stupid.

just because its in an irish accent doesnt mean it doesnt sound like it.

Sounding similar is not a bad thing though, it is influence not just black and white robbery of a style.
    yes and it is not original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

3 posts in 4 minutes replying to one comment, are you really that determined to prove him wrong when he actually isn't?

So you can not name any artist and you can not name who they are imitating but they are imitating someone somehow?

That is the worst and most generic argument ever.

Are you one of those people who only listens to rap from the Bronx? or Drake.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Lads relax... When making music, which these guys do, it's not about copying. They MAY take influences' from others but their sound is their own and has been developed from years.

Saying that ALL irish hip hop sounds the same is frankly a lie. First off all sons phonetic's accents are distictly different from a more dublin sounding G.I. or Costello or even Lethal Dialect. The beats are made by different producers and as a producer myself I know that each persons style or sound preference is different.

Saying everyone sounds alike is like saying Beethoven sounds like Mozart.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement