Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any L.C. Hons Irish heads there?

• 24-01-2012 12:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

Hi Im a bit confused about this yrs Hons oral exam..Im learning from home and repeating Irish this year. For the 20 discussion pics do we have to learn them all? What advice are ppl getting from teachers re. learning stuff off? Are we asked 3 questions max per pic? Do we have to ask the examiners questions too or did I misread the booklet?
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Moved to main LC forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

They can ask you any of the 20. I'm writing out what I'm saying on each picture using the book and my own phrases, and yes as far as I know its exactly 3 per picture. You have to ask the examiner questions too which is a bit silly but ah well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Patchy~ wrote: »
    They can ask you any of the 20. I'm writing out what I'm saying on each picture using the book and my own phrases, and yes as far as I know its exactly 3 per picture. You have to ask the examiner questions too which is a bit silly but ah well :)

The good thing is you get to ask the examiner 3 questions first, just in case you have 3 prepared and they ask you those exact questions :) We write them out in the present tense although some seem to use the past.

Eg: "tá sé ag cur baistí taobh amuigh" rather than "bhí sé ag cur báistí taobh amuigh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

My teacher has told us that we have to ask the examiner 3 questions and the examnier has to ask us 3.He is one of the chief oral examiners in the country and he has told us that at the examiners conferences a lot of them are upset about being asked questions.They only want to do the asking.So us asking them 3 questions isn't realy confirmed yet but its likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

montown wrote: »
    The good thing is you get to ask the examiner 3 questions first, just in case you have 3 prepared and they ask you those exact questions :) We write them out in the present tense although some seem to use the past.

Eg: "tá sé ag cur baistí taobh amuigh" rather than "bhí sé ag cur báistí taobh amuigh"
    Oh, well the sample book uses the present tense so I assumed we were generally going to do it but I think I did a few of mine in the past tense now that I think of it. I thought they asked us first but that makes sense actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

http://www.scoilnet.ie/ScruduBeil2012.shtm

This is a great start, although higher level students should say a bit more for each picture, so maybe you could combine those notes with the notes in the sraith pictiúr book :D
    I'm typing all mine out in a word doc along with the pictures i.e first picture then under it i'll type what I would say, then second picture so on and so forth :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Yeah I don't really like the asking questions part, it seems kind of pointless. We have our picture stories written out in our oral copies, not to learn by heart but to get the gist of it. The majority of our pictures are in the past tense, so using verbs is easier as we don't have to change them, and besides it's better than saying "tá" most of the time! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

You are free to speak in any tense at all. You need at least 3 sentences on each pic to get a minimum 'D' grade. If you are doing it at higher level you need to add in as many phrases as possible. We have been told at conferences that the ideal would be that you can ask q. 2 or q. 3 based on the previous answer the examiner gave so it seems to be a proper conversation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

You are free to speak in any tense at all. You need at least 3 sentences on each pic to get a minimum 'D' grade. If you are doing it at higher level you need to add in as many phrases as possible. We have been told at conferences that the ideal would be that you can ask q. 2 or q. 3 based on the previous answer the examiner gave so it seems to be a proper conversation!!
    When exactly during the oral are we presented with the sraith pictiur? And would the examiner choose a sequence based on what level they think you are (obviously the more difficult ones for Honors students) or is it completely arbitrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverfinished

You do the greeting where you give 4 points of information and get marks for giving those points. Then you are asked to read a poem or a number of verses from a poem. The examiner will then choose one of the 20 pics and you will describe it. Technically they do not know if you are honours or pass so it can be any of the 20 pictures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement