Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Abroad ... what to do with horse?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I'll be finishing college May 202 and I'm hoping to get a 6/12 month working visa to either Australia or New Zealand. I do not want to sell my horse, so I'm looking into other options.

One of the first things that came to mind was leasing, what type would suit me best? I will be away, I would prefer for my mare to be used while I'm gone, this way I know she's being taken care of and isn't going to waste. The person leasing will have her on full lease, so they'll pretty much own her while I'm away (I will set up contracts, have her checked up on for me, get leaser to send pics/updates, etc) I would have to discuss fees and such - how would I go about it? the leasee paying livery, farrier, etc and cover costs for using my horse/tack/lunging equipment/rugs/etc

Another idea I had for her was sticking her out in a field while I'm gone, this will be my last resort, I would like to put her out in a yard however so at least someone is around to watch her, I would wire up money to pay for this if need be. I really would like to avoid this, she does not do well in Winter. Summer she would be grand though.

A breeding lease was suggested to me, my mare is a 15.1hh pure bred arabian mare 10 years, she is fully papered, DNA tested, etc. So a breeding lease would be considered if I go for the year - someone who wants a foal can use her while I'm away and once foal is weaned go our separate ways. Not the best idea really as there are so many precautions and I would prefer to be with her, however my mare loves foals, has at least 2 registered foals, she knows what she's doing, she's dieing to have a foal. (Mare goes into season twice a month at the moment shes unstoppable!) Contracts will obviously drawn up, person using her will pay for vet/etc (I will pay for initial vet scanning/cleaning to make sure she's suitable/ready for this lease) as well as everything she needs.

So could anyone on here give me some pointers? Pros/Cons of what I've listed above, any other options. She is not suitable for lessons, she's a very testy mare I reckon if I could get an ambitious young person to lease her they will both benefit greatly she has been used in advanced lessons.

Advertisement