Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor DVD Quality On xbox

Options
  • 24-01-2012 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Haven’t watched a DVD in ages so put one in my xbox360 on a Full HD TV using HDMI and it was really poor image, sorry i didn’t watch the movie i stopped 5min in and changed to my notebook using an external DVD Drive through AVG and it was much better. I know the Xbox is a games console and if you go with a dedicated DVD player the tech in the DVD player improves the image and sound but the Xbox was surprisingly bad anyone else notice this?

RIP Megaupload

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

You were most likely watching a standard quality DVD, you would need a HD DVD/ Blu-ray to watch HD movies. Standard quality ones don't magically get upscaled using the normal built in dvd player, you need the external HD DVD player for that.

Hi meesared!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dirtymurder

You were most likely watching a standard quality DVD, you would need a HD DVD/ Blu-ray to watch HD movies. Standard quality ones don't magically get upscaled using the normal built in dvd player, you need the external HD DVD player for that.

You misunderstand me. I know its not HD i was just stateing the set up i was using. So someone wouldnt start telling me i need a better tv or use a better connection like HDMI for my DVD's.

You may want to live a bit longer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've never seen any difference between playback through the PS3 and Xbox.

amacachi wrote: »
    I've never seen any difference between playback through the PS3 and Xbox.

Well id go as far as saying its bad, dont remember it being so, might have somthing to do with the update

Check it out i was watching 300

But even if you have a HDMI and the Full HD tv, it doesn't mean your dvd's will be good quality. But it could be a damaged DVD, or damaged cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭pdw

They Xbox does upscale movies when you are using a hdmi cable. So no you don't need an external HD DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Eh? lol

Meesared wrote: »
    Eh? lol

Ha i thought meesared was a site for downloading movies till you showed up.

pdw wrote: »
    They Xbox does upscale movies when you are using a hdmi cable. So no you don't need an external HD DVD player.
    Technically, MS says it does, but the difference is not noticeable, I've tried it in the past on my full HD TV and I've noticed no difference.

Meesared wrote: »
    Eh? lol
    I thought i'd be nice and say hi to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Connect to HD TV with VGA as thats the only way SD DVD is upscalled on xbox 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

wotzgoingon - Incorrect. The Xbox 360 does indeed upscale DVD's to 1080P over hdmi. MS say they do, and my TV which reports the input signal, reports 1080P/50HZ when I play a dvd from the Xbox media player - which means the 360 is upscaling and sending the signal out over HDMI. I don't know where you got the idea that it's only done over VGA. However the quality is pretty poor since the last dashboard update, whether you are scaling or not. Video playback is washed out, and there is a bunch of other problems.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-the-360-dash

Advertisement