Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatwave!

Options
  • 24-01-2012 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a heads up for anyone in and around the Perth area - we're in for a stinking weekend!

Apparently the next week will be the hottest in 47 years with temperatures peaking on Saturday at 42 degrees.

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/perth.shtml
    Thursday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 26 Max 40
    Friday Very hot. Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 39
    Saturday Very hot. Sunny. Min 26 Max 42
    Sunday Very hot. Sunny. Min 24 Max 40
    Monday Very hot. Sunny. Min 23 Max 39

If you're new to Perth and heven't experienced that sort of weather yet then be smart - stay indoors between 12 and 4 roughly, keep the aircon cranked, and drink plenty of water (especially if you're boozing on Oz Day or at the weekend).

I'll be getting very well acquainted with my sofa I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

And cross our fingers we get no power cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

Bring it on!
    One reason I moved to Perth was to enjoy a hot summer.
    Though it never got above 40 degrees last summer so maybe I won't be so chirpy on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Wow. Been living with average temperatures of just over 30 and loving it for the last couple of years. I have dealt with 40 OK but 47 would be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

missbudget wrote: »
    Bring it on!
    One reason I moved to Perth was to enjoy a hot summer.
    Though it never got above 40 degrees last summer so maybe I won't be so chirpy on Saturday!

Ha you're in for a bit of a shock I think. If you want to *really* get a taste for it, find somewhere with direct sun and no breeze or shade at about 2pm in Saturday and see how it feels.

Report back on Monday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

GIVE SYDNEY BACK ITS SUN YOU WESTIE BASTARDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Bricklaying
    + 37.5*C
    = SH1T CRAIC!

40*C, think il leave the trowel at home in the morning.

Was working across the road from a bottle shop in a dodge part of Perth and it was funny looking at the steady flow of Aussie tradies/bogans heading in for the carton from about 8.30am.

We'd get the odd one shouting over,
    "Hey ya fuking c**ts its too hot for that sh*t, get the piss in" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

My air-con broke down!! Waiting on parts from Sydney (don't get me started on that!!). Perfect timing eh? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

40 degrees is murder. Hell, 35 is too hot, especially when you get winds coming from the north. It's like a blow dryer on maximum temperature into your face.

Even on Sunday at around 32-33 degrees at the tennis in Melbourne was pretty unbearable. Anythingt sunny in the mid 20's is fine for me.

How some people enjoy 40 degrees is beyond me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Pissing in Sydney for the next few days apparently. This summer has been terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jank wrote: »
    Pissing in Sydney for the next few days apparently. This summer has been terrible.
    I know, thankfully I'm off to Melbourne for a few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

It’s been hot here in Melbourne (can’t wait till I move to my new place with aircon!). It’s meant to stay hot too until Sunday when were due some rain.

I'm in Melbourne now and it's mild for a West Australian! Wish I was heading back to the same in Perth :o

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Pah, cry me a river! I'm getting ready for cyclone number 2 and the season's just getting started.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    Pah, cry me a river! I'm getting ready for cyclone number 2 and the season's just getting started.

yep! Its funny! Up North its been 37-39c every single day since November!
    With alot of humidity

in the Pilbara it was 48c!

Perth made it to 40.6 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I like the Perth, it's got low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

in the Pilbara it was 48c!

:o how the f*ck do the lads in the mines manage it

been a steady 36-38 here for the last week in north victoria and i can honestly say im screwed, anyone know what the long range forecast is for perth for mid feb if thats even possible....supposed to fly back there on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Doc wrote: »
    It’s been hot here in Melbourne (can’t wait till I move to my new place with aircon!). It’s meant to stay hot too until Sunday when were due some rain.

Melbourne was friggin' hot last couple of days days. Factor 30 and I still got rashered :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We're having a proper Irish summer in Sydney. I'm wearing jeans + hoodie.

Wow it's bloody hot here. Just had my second cold shower of the day.

We've cracked the 40 degree mark and no sign of it subsiding until sometime next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yeah Sydneys a bit crap at the moment weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Im in Rockingham and its crazy hot aswell. Went out the back to read a book and I lasted 30 min before I was literally dripping with sweat. Measured 40C in the shade and the house thermometer maxed out at 60C in the sun on the back lawn!! :O

Perth just hit 41.9 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

**** that ****

Rainfall radar has got downpours coming down to perth from the north, rain over wanaroo at the moment. Might take the sizzle out of it. Hope it doesn't affect the fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I actually prefer this weather to the 35 degrees and humidity we had a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

jank wrote: »
    Its killing me financially my work reallys on it not raining

catbear wrote: »
    Rainfall radar has got downpours coming down to perth from the north, rain over wanaroo at the moment. Might take the sizzle out of it. Hope it doesn't affect the fireworks.

:confused: Just looked out window and it's all blue skies. I'm 5 mins from Wanneroo.

Edit: ah there they are, would be awesome if it poured.

It's clouded up a bit near the city, knocked a few degrees off the high. I'm loving this.

• Advertisement

Just stood out in the downpour for five minutes there, absolutely brilliant! Coming down heavy at the mo :D

Advertisement