Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatwave!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Rolling thunder here in the hills. And some high winds.....it is like a hair dryer out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wanneroo.

No thanks, I already have a wallaby at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

regi wrote: »
    We're having a proper Irish summer in Sydney. I'm wearing jeans + hoodie.

Every night I see your weather forcast and feel a little homesick!!!

Melting here in the Wheatbelt... 39 today, expecting 42 over the weekend. Can keep 1 room in the house cool with a reverse cycle AC but our ducted AC unit is fooked and p$$iing out water so the rest of the house is like an oven. :rolleyes:

Don't know how anyone works out in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Just got out of the pool here in Scarborough, was sitting in it looking at a mental lightning show heading down from the north.
    Hope its hits, looks close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I feel for you all :) 8C and counting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Moved the mattres into the one room with aircon. Forecasting 41 again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Wow oh wow, skyfest was brillient. Fireworks accompanied by lightning! What a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Haven been brought up all my life n Ire being told to get out when there was any sun now haven to stay in it just feels so wrong but know how quick can get burnt.

How's everyone doing? Anyone melted yet?!

Had a lie-in this morning, woke up at 9.30 stuck to myself.... it was already 32 degrees!!! :eek:

I don't like those big shopping centres but if I was near one, I would be heading there to their AC heaven for the day!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Didn't find it that hot outside but I checked the weather forecast and it is. Looks like we will hit the big numbers.

Great air-con is the way to go. If you don't have any head to the movies or the pub.

• Advertisement

head to the pub

OK!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The best place to be is In the water after 5pm when the UV level has dropped below crispy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Absolutely pissing down in brisbane city.... again.... bit sick of it now.

What id give for some sun :pac:

tipplad11 wrote: »
    :o how the f*ck do the lads in the mines manage it

Underground the rocks are hot and can be too hot to touch in places.
    50 - 60c if you go deep enough. Of course the ventilation and air con systems are huge. Big towers scattered around the landscape here are actually vents.

Anyone who doesnt like the heat just never ever go near the top end during the build up season

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hottest January in Perth for 34 years apparently with 20 days over 32 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

Underground the rocks are hot and can be too hot to touch in places.
    50 - 60c if you go deep enough. Of course the ventilation and air con systems are huge. Big towers scattered around the landscape here are actually vents.

Anyone who doesnt like the heat just never ever go near the top end during the build up season

Sounds like an Oven to me....you working in one? Wondering does it ever get TOO hot to actually work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

My idea of hell is living in Broome with no Air-con.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I never thought id say this but 30 is soooooo damn nice and cool now. Aahhhh refreshing.

tipplad11 wrote: »
    Sounds like an Oven to me....you working in one? Wondering does it ever get TOO hot to actually work?

I am working surface, know alot working underground here too.
    To be honest outside is like an oven this time of year. Hot winds feel like a hairdryer. The Pilbara is hotter than here though.

I worked in the NT top end during the build up and was outdoors for 10 hours a day surveying and after a bit you adjust.
    The first few days i was getting dizzy and got really worried because i was on my own miles from anyone else with no radio or mobile signal. If anything happened it would be all day until they even thought to look for you.

I had to freeze drinks the night before and put them in a cool bag so they would be cold during the day. I would get headaches unless I put alot of salt on my food during lunch so i started taking out salt and vinegar crisps and salted nuts which prevented headaches too. Drank nearly a litre an hour out there during the hottest hours. And all I was doing was walking around - nothing too physical really.

Australia is among the hottest places on earth.
    Take a look here:
    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=7149

globallst_amo_20032005_lrg.jpg

Ground surface temperatures reaching 70c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tipplad11

Jesus, sounds like fun. I suppose everyone has there tricks to deal with it. Looking at that Australia looks to be fairly on par with the sahara :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement