Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clouters A-Z of Authors Challenge

Options
  • 24-01-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Well folks, New Yrs resolution was to read more so decided to give the A-Z of authors challenge a go. Basically I have to read a book by an author starting with each letter of the alphabet. Would normally only read a dozen or so books so this will be as challenge. Here goes.

Author: Jane Austen

Title : Pride and Prejudice

Comment: Seen this was ranked No 1 in a lot of book lists so decided to give it a go. Cant say it was my most enjoyable read, took a bit of time to get into it but by the end I couldnt wait to find out about Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. Totally different from what I'd normally read but can see why it places so highly on a lot of peoples lists.

Score: 7/10

Next on my list is The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.

Feel free to comment or suggest books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Author: John Boyne

Title: The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas

Comment: Don't know what it was about this book but I only really started to get into it in the last 30/40 pages. Overall an enjoyable book but was left wishing it went on longer to finish.

Score: 7/10

Next on the list is Suzanne Collins "The Hunger Games"

Author: Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games

Comment: Really enjoyed this book. Very well written and kept me hooked all the way through. Will prob read the other 2 books of the trilogy now too.

Score: 9/10

Next on the list is Richard Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth

Seem to have let this slip a bit so better catch up!!

Reading Richard Dawkins - The Greatest Show on Earth and struggling through it. Got a quarter through it and just had to stop. A lot of very technical/scientific stuff that just didn't hold my attention. So put it down and read a few others. Went back to it this week and am determined to finish it. If for no other reason than so I can complete my A-Z challenge!!!

Title - Blind Faith

Author - Ben Elton

Comment - Strange book, took a bit of time to get into it but got going after a bit. Unfortunately not near as good as other books by Elton so was left feeling slightly disappointed.

Score - 7/10

Title- Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Author -Tom Franklin

Comment - Seen this book in Easons and liked the look of it so downloaded and really pleased with my choice. Really liked it and flew through it in 2 or 3 sittings. Will definitely be coming back to this author again in the future.

Score - 8/10

Title - Chimera

Author - Stephen Gallagher

Comment - Again just a random book I came across on Amazon and it sparked my interest. Really enjoyed the story although the ending was a bit disappointing, apparently a TV show/film in 80's was based on the novel. Good read and for €1 cant go wrong!

Score - 8/10

Advertisement