Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine laugh out loud books?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Anything by Bill Bryson makes me laugh. Especially A Walk in the Woods, Shakespere and down under.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Kill your Friends by John Niven - vicious, black humoured take on the 90s Brit pop music scene. Almost choked laughing reading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Anything by David Sedaris :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

livinsane wrote: »
    The Average American Male: A Novel by Chad Kultgen is laugh out loud funny as well as being obscenely filthy and hilariously misogynistic. D!ck lit you might call it!

Couldn't agree more. This was the only book to ever make a fool of me on public transport with my attempts to hold in the laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Three Men on boat - one of the few genuinely laugh out loud books I've read. Lucky Jim is also quite funny as is Catch 22. Some of Carl Hiaasen's stuff is very funny as is Michael Hollenbeuq (in a more savage way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

BREATHING LESSONS by Anne Tyler - in particular the segment with the old guy they meet on the road.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GrauballeMan

The World According to Garp, by John Irving
    The Third Policeman
    On Writing, by Stephen King (the first half, about his childhood and childminders is howlingly funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day
    Kurt Vonnegut's God Bless You Mr Rosewater
    And I'd second A Confederacy of Dunces.

Must check out Fraction of the Whole if you're a John Kennedy Toole fan. I used to see it nearly every day in work, but never got around to picking it up.

This is an absolutely hilarious book. Had never heard of it or the author but it was given to me by an Aussie friend and provided me with endless entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Seconded. Especially the first one! :D

In fact, most stuff by Tom Sharpe has laugh out loud moments. Other excellent works by him (IMO):

Indecent Exposure
    The Throwback
    Blott on the Landscape
    and the wonderful Porterhouse Blue.

Genius stuff.

I love Tom Sharpes' books - hilarious.

I also liked this
    Curiousincidentofdoginnighttime.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan. Side splitting stuff. There were another 4 or 5 books in his WW2 memoirs and all were funny but Adolf Hitler was the funniest.

I don't think they are still in print, pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

chughes wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan. Side splitting stuff. There were another 4 or 5 books in his WW2 memoirs and all were funny but Adolf Hitler was the funniest.

I don't think they are still in print, pity.

I love that book too. Especially the drawings and the silly gags such as:
    "One point to you"
    "It's rude to point."
    "OK, one blunt to you."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I love that book too. Especially the drawings and the silly gags such as:
    "One point to you"
    "It's rude to point."
    "OK, one blunt to you."

One of my favourite quotes from the Adolf Hilter book was when his band were playing at a venue where a lot of Canadian soldiers were drinking and getting rowdy. A fight started and a military policeman asks the band if they can play The Maple Leaf Forever. "No, we get tired after an hour" was Spike's reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

There have been a few books that have made me laugh out loud over the years and here are some of them.
    • Adrian Mole
    • Paddy Clarke, ha ha ha
    • I, Partridge
    • Black Swan Green
    • Catch 22
    • The Flashman Papers
    • Confederacy of Dunces
    • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
    • A Fraction of the Whole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For me I'd say Terry Pratchett, but only the ones with the Guards in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shinkicker64

Anything by Spike Milligan, especially his war memoirs plus the great 'Puckoon'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

For genuine jet-black humour, some of Irvine Welsh's stuff can be excellent. None moreso than the tale of the hate-filled, cocaine-fuelled police officer in Filth. The ways in which the main protagonist lives his life alone are worthy of a giggle, but the inhumane way in which he treats every single person around him is horrible, but hilarious at the same time.

Also, The Van by Roddy Doyle. Something quite amazing about this novel; there is just so much in the book. It is hilarious in parts, touching in others, sad in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ettellig

"The average American Male" by Chad Kultgen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

God, so many of these are brilliant...Have to root out a lot of them out again. Most recent funny book I've read is Air Babylon by Imogen Edwards- Jones & Anonymous. Worth a dig - especially if you find a copy in a charity shop like I did :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Pratchett's Discworld books are hilarious, never fail to get a good laugh out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

the average american male, catch 22 and particularly Filth by irvine welsh have all been reasons for waking people or disturbing fellow passengers with loud laughter.

i do sometimes laugh with excitement at the development of ideas and characters in iain m banks book but i guess thats not what you were looking for.
    still though, i hope somebody decides to make a film out of one of his books someday soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Tea rocks

Agree with earlier post about Paul Murray's "Skippy Dies". Outrageously funny in places (but some fairly poignant moments too).
    "Bossypants", Tina Fey's memoir, had me embarrassing myself with laughter on the bus in and out of work - partly because I had the audiobook version of it, which she narrates herself to great comedic effect.
    Have heard good things about Caitlin Moran's "How to be a Woman".
    Yes, Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide" is pretty good.
    Have read just one book by Carl Hiaasen, "Skinny Dip" and that was a good laugh too. "The Ask" by Sam Lipsyte is also a good 'un, but a little academic at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

My gf gave me Skippy Dies but I didn't start cos I thought it was going to be sad. Might give it a go now...

Advertisement