Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed to use wireless router as repeater

Options
  • 24-01-2012 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have (through Eircom broadband) a Zyxel P660HW-T1 V3 modem/router but cannot get decent wireless coverage throughout the house and with my kids having laptops, phones with wifi etc. I want better coverage.

I went out and bought a Netgear DGND3300 V2 thinking that it would give me far better wireless range and replaced the Zyxel, but it made absolutely no difference. In fact, the Netgear seemed to give slightly worse wireless coverage.

So, having done some reading and research, I tried to use the Netgear as a wireless repeater (using WDS).

So, the setup I am trying to achieve is that the Zytel is connected to the telephone line as the router and wireless, I then have the Netgear on the landing as a repeater.

I configured the Zytel as a WDS basestation and gave it the details of the Netgear (MAC address).

I then configured the Netgear as a WDS repeater and gave it the details of the Zytel (MAC address).

Both are on the same subnet (255.255.255.0). The Zytel is 192.168.1.254 and the Netgear is 192.168.1.253. Both have the same SSID. Both have the same WEP key.

When I turn the Netgear on, all the devices upstairs switch to the Netgear wireless seamlessly but cannot connect to the internet (my understanding is that it should pass all the traffic to the base station).

Any suggestions or has anyone else performed something similar?

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

By any chance is the Netgear giving out local addresses? If it is, you need to disable the DHCP server on it so that addresses are only given from the Zytel. Check the config settings in the Zytel that it is supplying the addresses. Might not be the answer but it's a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mmarks

thanks for the reply. The Zytel is set up to issue address via its DHCP. When you turn on the wireless repeater setting in the Netgrar, it switches off DHCP so the address should only be coming from the Zytel.

Advertisement