Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time limit for dole?

Comments

The actual practical real-world effect of this will be that those who have their social welfare cut will simply resort to other means. Be this fraud or (most likely) theft/burglary.

Social Welfare cuts should be blanket cuts. Affect everyone and no one feels overly hard done by. Affect a minority of that group and they will retaliate. Fairly basic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ah but sure didn't Joan give us the internship scheme? That's a great addition.

This is how it works. It seems that ANY person who wants to call themselves an employer can apply for an intern. An internship is like supervised learning, and basically gives people an opportunity to work in a position they may not get in to otherwise, and learn a bit about it.

It's a fabulous scheme. Some amazing internships have been offered. Topaz were so kind to give the opportunity to join their forecourt attendant internship. The Old Ground Hotel in Ennis were amazing, and welcomed a kitchen porter intern. There were even opportunities to take on a Landscaper internship.

Translate all the above sarcastic bullshít and you get: They have diminished any chance of low skilled work coming available by allowing "employers" to take advantage of the unemployed and get free labour for themselves. Sickening really.

You can't really blame the companies though. If I was trying to save money, and all businesses are regardless of size, I'd apply for 'low skilled' workers aswell. It should be up to the clowns running the scheme to vet companies properly and ensure only skilled positions get in, ie tradesmen looking to finish a trade, students looking to get invaluable experience in their field. Internships are very valuable when used properly, but this is Ireland and they've f**ked it up as usual :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Kirby wrote: »
    They still do this. You have to fill out a form every six months or so and provide written proof of failed applications, interviews etc.

Honestly, the militant "Spungerrrrs on da dole" brigade that show their faces everytime a thread like this rolls around are obviously already in employment. It's very, very easy to have a go at people struggling when you have a job yourself. Put yourselvs in their shoes for a minute please everyone before the flaming begins.

Yeah and on that... I have had plenty of guts coming into me. Track suit on, one hand down the front of their trousers, cigarette in mouth...

"how ya buuuuud, any jobs goin'?" (ME: "NO"). "Grand will ye sign me form"

On a few occasions I have said, "Yeah can you give me your CV" - guys grunts, turns around and walks out.

On one occasion after asking the guy to come back with a CV and I'd give him an interview he says "Fnuck that, I wouldn't work in this sh1thole anyway".

In my experience there are plenty of people who have no interest in working, even during the celtic tiger years, they are not suffering from an disability except for laziness and are only interested in being an anchor on society.

Filling out a form is not the best welfare fraud check in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    They used to do this not long ago, not sure about now. Jobseekers had to fill in a GSW form, Genuinely Seeking Work listing names of places they had applied for work and who they spoke to. I remember being asked to get it signed too.
    I was asked to do this once while I was on the dole between '09 and '10. So before I walked into the office on Cumberland Street, I went into an internet cafe on Parnell Street and printed off loads of application emails, interview invitations, etc. to back up what I'd stated on the form. Cost about a fiver, which I could have done without spending on printing at the time. Brought them into the office, handed in the form. Didn't want to take the evidence, even though it mentioned on the form that it would be required. I ended up bringing it home for shredding.

My point is that, this being Ireland, why don't we try to make proper use of the tools we have already before we start worrying about new ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

jc84 wrote: »
    any scheme introduced will be abused, i personally think the internship scheme is fantastic, where i work, we've taken on several interns in accounting positions, they badly need the experience as they can't get qualified without a minimum of 2-3 years experience, so at least by doing this they are getting 9 months, we've also taken people on in other positions and kept them on afterwards full-time, i think the scheme is great

Of course it's good in theory, but they continue to allow it to be abused.. How can they get the dole numbers down if low paid/skilled jobs are being eliminated.

They still do this. You have to fill out a form every six months or so and provide written proof of failed applications, interviews etc.

Honestly, the militant "Spungerrrrs on da dole" brigade that show their faces everytime a thread like this rolls around are obviously already in employment. It's very, very easy to have a go at people struggling when you have a job yourself. Put yourselvs in their shoes for a minute please everyone before the flaming begins.

No one's having a go at genuine people, but there's a lot of people who aren't genuine. If you're genuinely looking for work and are just very unlucky you'll sail through any SW interview and keep your benefits, and rightfully so. But why should the state continue to fund people who haven't checked a job site in months, get up at midday everyday and have no intention of doing SFA ever and use the recession as a convenient scapegoat. And there's a lot of them out there, even if it's 5% or less.

In Cork City for instance, there's companies here hiring continously and they'll take almost ANYONE, even in these times they can't get people for love nor money. The work's not great, but it's a wage and twice what you'll get on the dole. If you're a graduate you'll stroll in hassle free. Nothing stopping you staying 6 months and emigrating, or working your way up the ladder. Yet they consistently get fewer applicants than there are jobs. Strange eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm going try be as civil as possible here, but I'll be blunt, I take your post very personally and it makes my blood boil.

why are you taking it personally, I don't know you and you don't know me.

So to just say that after 6 months dole should be halfed, no questions asked, is incredibly stupid and short sighted

Where did I say this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

Of course it's good in theory, but they continue to allow it to be abused.. How can they get the dole numbers down if low paid/skilled jobs are being eliminated.

i agree, i don't blame the companies advertising the scandalous positions although they should be ashamed of themselves, i blame the government for not monitoring or pre-approving these ridiculous positions

but at the end of the day, no one has to apply for these positions, they are obviously just taking advantage of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

token101 wrote: »

In Cork City for instance, there's companies here hiring continously and they'll take almost ANYONE, even in these times they can't get people for love nor money. The work's not great, but it's a wage and twice what you'll get on the dole. If you're a graduate you'll stroll in hassle free. Nothing stopping you staying 6 months and emigrating, or working your way up the ladder. Yet they consistently get fewer applicants than there are jobs. Strange eh?

Would you mind listing these companies? Do they have websites? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On the "You're asked to prove your looking for work" thing...I've been on the dole for 19 months now and bar a FAS interview two weeks after signing on, I've never been contacted about proving I'm looking for work. I've got letters and so forth to prove I am, but there's never been a word to me on proving I'm actually looking. :/

The thing which annoys me about this is how every day, there's stories in the papers about 2000 bank jobs gone, 1000 teaching jobs gone, businesses going whallop, more austerity measures coming in.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be looking to tackle welfare fraud, but tbh, there's other aspects that need to be examined rather than the basic unemployment aspect, which is not getting better any time soon. It would do them more good to tackle people frauding their way to disability benefits, single parent benefits and those sort of extra allowences which the people and the government can do something about. There's too many people unemployed and too few jobs out there to start introducing new punishments for long term unemployed, given that the number of long term unemployed is only going to continue to increase as time goes on and things continue to decline....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

fryup wrote: »
    correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it in Canada you get the social welfare for something like 6 months and thats it and you're left to your own devices after that

there are jobs readily available in canada however.

Would you mind listing these companies? Do they have websites? :p

Apple, Amazon, and Abtran. Do a google search for CPL recruitment (Amazon), or La Creme (Abtran). Call centre work, but work nonetheless with a guaranteed monthly wage, none of this door to door horses**t.

Quite frankly, the way things are going with outsourcing, globalisation, mechanisation & resource limitations, there are fewer and fewer opportunities for work.

There may never be enough "real" jobs in the future, so what's the alternative.

Workhouse perhaps, or work for dole (jobs that don't make money) like removing rubbish from the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

hondasam wrote: »

why are you taking it personally, I don't know you and you don't know me.

Because you are lumping a huge amount of people together with a horrible generalisation and a backwards attitude to the problem, coming across as having a superiority complex (Not saying you do, just that that's how it's coming across). A group that I was apart of for a long time and was not helped at all by attitudes like this.

Where did I say this?
    I would go as far as to say after six months on the dole payments should be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Baz_welkin

I have a masters degree my wife has a degree, both of us were let go at the same time (5 months ago) as companies closed down. Applying for jobs left right and centre, 1 interview for part time job, few replies to say no luck with your application, still no medical card. 360euo coming into the house a week and rather than actually do their jobs properly and help the people the government only wishes to increase the pain. This is why people are leaving this country:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Joan's only pissed off because she can't think of a new method to massage the unemployment figures. People just aren't emigrating quick enough.

Perhaps she get the dole offices to diversify into becoming travel agents, handing out travel brochures and complimentary suitcases.

Well said, they might even throw in priority boarding cards.

These systems have being in place for years in the likes of the Netherlands and Germany, they were when I was working and living there 20 years ago.

And it should be in place here, though this is not the time to introduce such a system, it should have being implemented when there was a surplus of work available, 2000 - 2001, though we know that the people who governed us were more interested in keeping their interests at hand by keeping everyone happy and dandy so they could be sure of a vote.

More emphasis should be on Job Creation, also Job Protection in helping businesses operate at the moment.

I do book keeping, IT, Admin for a friends business, and he and the business worked extremely hard for November / December, just payed the Tax, and the VAT there, it swallowed alot of the businesses account, where wages are being put off until we get money in.

The intern system should be operated by the colleges and universities and not by the Government, everything is a short term solution with governments here, the 4 year plan by FG, where's that now, I wonder is there a need for government, as they are not governing this country, maybe we could save a large amount of money, pensions, expenses, etc, by just allowing the civil servants operate at the moment and when and if we get our sovereignty back or when politicians start to grow balls we can have them in the position where they can avail of all of the perks without the luxury of creating excuses which they are bound by the troika, etc.

I don't see any inovation or ideas from this government... I really don't.

Maybe if they brought in a 'emigration grant' where applicants receive a sum of money though sign a waiver that they will not use any state systems for a specified period of time.

At least they would be helping their citizens somewhat, like a lot of things in Ireland there is rules and laws which are not enforced for whatever reason, be it human resources, cost , etc, sometimes I think it's just to justify the positon and job of the creator of these papers.

I get a headache when I think of those clowns up in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

The problem here is that the government expect people to take any job but that is not possible when employers wont hire because they are worried you will walk away when you get a better offer. I know that for a fact because it was said to my brother. if Joan Burton actually met with people and see what they are doing in order to get work she would reconsider this.

My brother has tired to get any type of job like managerial positions in retail because he has managerial experience but has been turned down and has applied to UK jobs but no luck and has applied for jobs in other countries aswell. Might I add that he has achieved the highest level of education possible

He is in being turned for jobs he is qualified to do because he has to much experience.

I know many people who are not lazy to work but they cant get a low skilled job because they dont have experience. Also there are people to scared to return full or part time education because of their financial position and the fact that they wont get benefits or they cant get part time work to support themselves through college.

To solve the unemployment problem they need to have a better jobs strategy instead of an internship scheme that is not being run properly and which is being abused by employers e.g. supermakerts hiring staff through job bridge to work in fruit and veg.

The UK has internships for people who cant afford to go to college and they are far better internships than what we have in Ireland.

How can people on the dole afford to eat and pay bills if their payments are cut or taken away from them completely. Cutting payments or refusing to give benefits should have been done when times were good because you had school drop outs who did not want to work going and signing on.

The government are responible for the creating the environment within whih businesses can grow and survive. They are not doing this because they refuse to ban upward only rent reviews and its why people are losing jobs every day of the week and its going to increase until the country is ruined

The increase in VAT wont help protect jobs. Everything introduced by Minister Noonan is aimed at reducing the country's debt but that wont happen if people are continuing to lose their job and dont have any money to go out and spend

There will be a revolution in Ireland sooner rather than later.

I am not a racist and never will be but the chances of Irish people getting low skilled jobs are impossible with so many foregin nationals being left into the country.

We sure have a bunch of clowns in the dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

The actual practical real-world effect of this will be that those who have their social welfare cut will simply resort to other means. Be this fraud or (most likely) theft/burglary.

Social Welfare cuts should be blanket cuts. Affect everyone and no one feels overly hard done by. Affect a minority of that group and they will retaliate. Fairly basic stuff.

I was going to post something similar myself. Most of the 'career dolers' i know of aren't the most savoury of characters. And of course i want to see them get off their asses; i'm sick to the teeth of trying to scrimp and scrape through college (which i'm about to be priced out of because of recent unexpected medical expenses), i can't claim for a medical card because i 'earn too much' (or as i like to call it 'enough for my bed and board, barely'). Have i mentioned as well that my miserable, demeaning job that just about covers my bills and eats into my study time is about to show me the door because of a downturn in business?

Oh what the hell am i even trying for? Once i drop out of college and get let go from my s**t job i can sign on, not have to worry about medical expenses and collect my giro with the 'carrer dolers', have a chat about 'de telly' and 'de football'. Might start popping out a few kids too, thats seems to be a nifty little earner for them too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Baz_welkin

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    The problem here is that the government expect people to take any job but that is not possible when employers wont hire because they are worried you will walk away when you get a better offer

Couldnt agree more Lisa, the interview i had was for vodafone shop, part/time and was told the same thing as your brother. Im not fussy what job i get ANY job would do just to have money coming but the simple fact is they are not there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People used to lie on their CVs and invent experience and qualifications. I presume some people are doing the opposite now - 'forgetting' to mention that masters in architecture you have might just make the difference when Vodafone are looking for sales staff.

Because you are lumping a huge amount of people together with a horrible generalisation and a backwards attitude to the problem, coming across as having a superiority complex (Not saying you do, just that that's how it's coming across). A group that I was apart of for a long time and was not helped at all by attitudes like this.

I did say to reduce the payment not half it. There is a difference.
    Perhaps I have been fortunate to never have needed the dole or just a hard worker who is prepared to work for a living.
    Believe me I have worked ****ty jobs in my time.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Nice one starting this thread when the majority of dole spongers are still in bed.
    How many of you are suposed to be working at the moment?

Are you one of these people who think the unemployed shoud take any type of job and are too lazy to work?

Do you really think people want to be on the dole?

My father is under two years from retirement and was made redundant. Do you think he is a dole sponger?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

The reality is that in the ' New Ireland' if one is male, middle aged and Irish, one has the proverbial ' snowball's chance in hell ' of getting a job. Its all right for the comfortable middle classes to be talking about putting time limits on the dole but what do you do with a guy in his fifties who is on the economic scrap heap? You tell me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Perhaps I have been fortunate to never have needed the dole or just a hard worker who is prepared to work for a living.

Most people are hard workers too and have all worked ****ty jobs at some point, there's nothing exceptional about your case.

You're lucky, that's all. Count your blessings and stop thinking you've a valid opinion about people on the dole when you've never had to step inside the local office, particularly when the country is in financial ruins.

Baz_welkin wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more Lisa, the interview i had was for vodafone shop, part/time and was told the same thing as your brother. Im not fussy what job i get ANY job would do just to have money coming but the simple fact is they are not there.

When you have been working in the same job for years like my brother its hard to find any type of job.If you have worked in cinemas,off licences and furniture stores you have a wide range of experience and skills from sales experience to customer service skills.

Do employers not know that there are certain sectors that will take years to recover and some wont so why are they banging on about people leaving if they get a better job offer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just for an experiment try sending out a few CV's to get some of these mystical jobs that you think are out there that are paying the same as the dole. Make no mention of you currently having some other job of course as that would just be daft, just put in that you got made redundant 6 months ago.

Let us know if you hear anything back, anything at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do employers not know that there are certain sectors that will take years to recover and some wont so why are they banging on about people leaving if they get a better job offer.

+1
    If these other jobs were going to appear and cause us to leave in a month to greener pastures, don't they think that we might possibly have taken that job already during the previous 18months of looking? :confused:

Clareboy wrote: »
    The reality is that in the ' New Ireland' if one is male, middle aged and Irish, one has the proverbial ' snowball's chance in hell ' of getting a job. Its all right for the comfortable middle classes to be talking about putting time limits on the dole but what do you do with a guy in his fifties who is on the economic scrap heap? You tell me!

Agreed.

As I said in on of my posts my father is less than 2 years rom retirement and was made redundant. Social welfare had the cheek to ask was if he available for full time work. I am sad to say this but public sector workers dont have a clue whats going on if they are asking these questions. They will still get their big pensions.

Do they seriously think my father would be hired at his age?

Are you one of these people who think the unemployed shoud take any type of job and are too lazy to work?

Do you really think people want to be on the dole?

My father is under two years from retirement and was made redundant. Do you think he is a dole sponger?

Yes, if you're unemployed some work when offered is better than no work. Even if it's for a week, it's better than nothing. I've been there and done it, degree, masters whole lot. Week picking f**king daffodils last year for 200 quid being my personal highlight. It should be a pride thing if nothing else. Most people hate the dole and the perceived degradation and will take whatever offered.

Some do yeah! And they're the ones that need to be cut off.

No, you're taking it to extremes. The government aren't talking about people like your father. They're targeting people who've never worked a day in their lives, get up at midday, flick on Murder She Wrote, then throw on the PS3/X-Box for a few hours and then get a few cans and repeat daily. It's a small %, but there are people out there like that and it's not on. If someone can tell me why somebody not seeking a job deserves a jobseekers allowance then I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

Incase those who believe everyone on the dole is a sponger and are thinking I am one because I am posting so much I just wanted to let them its my job off for my part time job.

You're lucky, that's all. Count your blessings and stop thinking you've a valid opinion about people on the dole when you've never had to step inside the local office, particularly when the country is in financial ruins.

Perhaps I am lucky I don't know.

Can I not have an opinion, is it only unemployed people who can post in this thread?
    I know plenty of people who do not work, have lost jobs etc. I am not totally oblivious to the real world or the problems people have.

jc84 wrote: »
    any scheme introduced will be abused, i personally think the internship scheme is fantastic, where i work, we've taken on several interns in accounting positions

accountants for free ! of course you would like it
    The state is funding your payroll ****in hell

token101 wrote: »
    Yes, if you're unemployed some work when offered is better than no work. Even if it's for a week, it's better than nothing. I've been there and done it, degree, masters whole lot. Week picking f**king daffodils last year for 200 quid being my personal highlight. It should be a pride thing if nothing else. Most people hate the dole and the perceived degradation and will take whatever offered.

Some do yeah! And they're the ones that need to be cut off.

No, you're taking it to extremes. The government aren't talking about people like your father. They're targeting people who've never worked a day in their lives, get up at midday, flick on Murder She Wrote, then throw on the PS3/X-Box for a few hours and then get a few cans and repeat daily. It's a small %, but there are people out there like that and it's not on. If someone can tell me why somebody not seeking a job deserves a jobseekers allowance then I'm all ears.

I agree that some work is better tha none at all but if your not getting offered any type of job and are constantly getting rejection letters like many peeople I know are what are you meant to do?

I do know people who get up and turn on the tv to watch murder she wrote and the are not lazy. They are willing to do anything but are being rejected all the time because of a lack of experience

If you are offered a job that pays the minimum wage and is 100 miles away and your only option is to rent close to where you working would you do it if you ended up with not enough money to live on after you pay taxes. I know a friend who is in the situation and regretably had to turn down a job because he would not have enough money to raise his child, pay his bills and his mortgage and buy food and he actually would be losing alot of money on rent and bills for the rented accomodation before he would get paid for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

FFS at least the people are doing something constructive...

Snowie wrote: »
    FFS at least the people are doing something constructive...

I agree but the internships need to be designed like the one's in the UK where you get a internship salary and actually get proper on the job training. That way the state would not have to fund it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I agree but the internships need to be designed like the in the UK where you get a decent internship salary. that way the state would not have to fund it

I think someone posted on her about dixons offering one of these internships. You know what it was for? Loading a truck for deliverys for free. That was the job. I trained chimp could do it but rather than pay someone to do it they call it an internship and get someone to do it for free. Depends what the internship is. If its something really usefull or if its just a company taking the piss not wanting to pay someone for a job like I described.

I agree but the internships need to be designed like the in the UK where you get a decent internship salary. that way the state would not have to fund it

Nevermind that.. They need to clamp down on the cúntish businesses taking advantage and filling low skilled positions with "interns".

How can you pull people in for an interview and tell them their dole will be cut if they don't have the right answers, while you are allowing "employers" take complete advantage. It's ridiculous. Sort out the rubbish scheme and more low skilled jobs will appear.

How or why would a business take someone off the dole when they can fill the position for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

I don't have a solution, but there should be a complete reversal of the way things work. I don't understand why fas isn't disbanded and language schools set up in its place. There should be an emigration grant and a body set up to help people go.

I'm currently working on a production line 3x 12hrs a week. I have a masters in engineering. No one will hire me here so my only option is to save up and go. It's heartbreaking.

• Advertisement

k

If you are offered a job that pays the minimum wage and is 100 miles away and your only option is to rent close to where you working would you do it if you ended up with not enough money to live on after you pay taxes. I know a friend who is in the situation and regretably had to turn down a job because he would not have enough money to raise his child, pay his bills and his mortgage and buy food and he actually would be losing alot of money on rent and bills for the rented accomodation before he would get paid for the job.

You know there are working people in this situation, it's not just people on the dole who are suffering.
    Because of travelling and pay cuts I have moved nearer my job, it means renting and paying a mortgage and only going home on days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`m on the dole and I agree that if someone refuses to look at other sectors or won`t retrain there should be penalties, particularly if they take up a place on a course and don`t turn up.

Realistically there are very few jobs thou and as someone said qualified accountant are doing internships so how is someone like me, who just finished college and is looking for a training contract, suppose to get anywhere?

I`m applying to a hdip in computing aimed at accouting or business student to try to move into a different area and provide employers with more skills. I have been applying for internships and haven`t got them and will continue to apply for anything I can. Social welfare won`t go after the people they really should - I think there afraid of people from certain areas and don`t want to tackle the issue.

Also some of the people signing off on the sick should be examined eg. those claiming to suffer from depression, given I only know one person in this situation who is not genuine so that colours my opinion a bit.

Someone posted misleading fact earlier about the boomtime unemployment. They did not account for frictional or structural unemployment and failed to realise that these figure may not relate to money payed out. What we are currently experencing is cyclical unemployment and is completely different.

I agree that some work is better tha none at all but if your not getting offered any type of job and are constantly getting rejection letters like many peeople I know are what are you meant to do?

I do know people who get up and turn on the tv to watch murder she wrote and the are not lazy. They are willing to do anything but are being rejected all the time because of a lack of experience

Well you said orginally, 'Should people take whatever is offered?', I say yes. If work is not offered, the question doesn't arise. You're supposed to keep looking and hope that something will turn up. Not easy and soul destroying at times, but still necessary.

Well if you haven't the experience then get the experience. We still have BTE allowances from what I know of, and there's Springboard now aswell. Plus there's Job Bridge. Bottom line being, there's no excuse for young, childless people to be sitting around doing FA. And I believe they are the people that the government is targeting primarily for cutting off.

That's a fault with the system. When people have to turn down jobs because they get more on welfare, we're in trouble. Whether it's a case of cutting benefits to make work seem more attractive or subsidising his rent for a set period or whatever I don't know, but benefits should never be more than paid work. Maybe there's an argument for cutting benefits and subsiding childcare for those taking up offers ie new jobs, Fás, Job Bridge, BTE, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Incase those who believe everyone on the dole is a sponger and are thinking I am one because I am posting so much I just wanted to let them its my job off for my part time job.

I dont think anyone on boards thinks everyone one the dole is a sponger(and anyone who does is a muppet), but if an individual as been on the dole for 10+ years questions need to be asked.

Like I mentioned I have part time work. I also have a certificate and a degree. I have experience to go along with the certificate I got but sadly none for the degree. I dont have a problem with returning to education and retraining but the industry I would like to get into is suffering.

What I wanted to do with my degree is not possible anymore because thousands of jobs are being cut in my choosen sector across the world.

Leaving is not an option for me. I am single and anyone I know that is my age are married and have kids so there is nobody to go with. I admire those who love travelling and dont mind doing it on their own but its not for me.

Australia put limits on who they let in and so do other countries so why cant Ireland do it. We are not being racist by doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    I dont think anyone on boards thinks everyone one the dole is a sponger(and anyone who does is a muppet), but if an individual as been on the dole for 10+ years questions need to be asked.

Questions do need to be asked but if your constantly being told you have too much experience to do jobs you are qualified to do like some of my relatives are being told and you are trying to get jobs outside the country, then your not a dole sponger for being on the dole for so long.

If they fail to co-operate their payment will be reduced . . . . it would be a case of where opportunities are offered, whether for work, education or training, and are refused.

Fair enough so. The only people that could still struggle with that are the people that can't afford to make a move or pay for transport etc and are forced to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Well isn't it great that you are so optimistic. The reality is the jobs are not there. I am experienced in my field of work and am educated to masters level. I was unemployed for one year and was unable to find any work. I didn't care what work I did and now count myself lucky that I have been in a temping job for the last few months. It makes me sick when people who are in permanent jobs make stupid comments about everyone on the dole not wanting to work. Get with reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. I would gladly take a job with social welfare to investigate false social welfare claims - but alas I wouldn't hold my breath for such a job offer.
    It's not a rotten attitude imo. I'm sick of peoples attitude's here, there are some jobs out there but people are not willing to work for the crap money.

I will not be losing my job but if I did I would get another one.

Biggins wrote: »

That article makes me sick. The training courses run by FAS are crap and not suited to the difficult times we are in and there are too many people retraining and doing the same courses.

Do the Troika seriously think people are refusing the offer of a job? Maybe there are people who do refuse a job they are offered so punish them instead.

Dont punish those who are truely seeking work and cant get one job offer.

Other countries may have limits for the dole but thats because there are plenty of jobs to go around

Joan Burton said cutting payments was not an option because the money is spent and not saved.

If people cant get work are the meant to be broke and starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Benefit won't be cut if you can show you are actively looking for work. So it won't affect graduates etc that fire off CVs do long as they keep a record and follow up on those applications with a phone call.
    But if it comes into effect they need clear rules. They can't expect people to take a job offer of a cleaner in Sligo if they live in cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement