Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time limit for dole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

hondasam wrote: »
    k

You know there are working people in this situation, it's not just people on the dole who are suffering.
    Because of travelling and pay cuts I have moved nearer my job, it means renting and paying a mortgage and only going home on days off.

I agree with you. I have cousins in this situation. I also know they earn enough to be able to pay rent and a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

More smoke screening from the government who cannot create a single job in this country...and the angry masses are loving it.

Hilarious stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Biggins wrote: »

guess which party doesnt was to be relected next time..... being unfair to IT people with only 3 months when everyone else gets 6 months. no equality rights there i see

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Benefit won't be cut if you can show you are actively looking for work. So it won't affect graduates etc that fire off CVs do long as they keep a record and follow up on those applications with a phone call.
    But if it comes into effect they need clear rules. They can't expect people to take a job offer of a cleaner in Sligo if they live in cork.

So you basially apply for anything and everything even if you dont have experience and put up with constant rejection. There are people out there who cant take rejection well and get sick of applying for jobs all the time without success.

If people are to get off the dole jobs need to be created and if people have the skills for the job experience should not matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Do the Troika seriously think people are refusing the offer of a job? Maybe there are people who do refuse a job they are offered so punish them instead.

The troika dont give two flying fcuks what the people are doing they just want costs down to better enable the government to repay the bailout. Joan Burton doesnt give two flying fcuks what she has to do (which seems isnt much other than following orders) as long as she gets her salary, perks and pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 coyotefitzy

I have no problems in providing proof that I am seeking employment, however for every 10 jobs applied for I am only getting back maybe 1 confirmation letter.
    I had to provide proof of my seeking employment recently, as I had few letters i actually went to my welfare officer, and on his computer opened my email account and showed him the sent emails from my account. This was proof enough for him that I was seeking employment. And out of 5 places i used to work in full time, only two are still operating, and both with skeletal staff and two part time jobs I had years ago are in businesses which are now gone.
    I am aware that there is serious piss taking going on with regards to welfare fraud, but there needs to be jobs out there for people to apply for.
    We need proper job creation, and it needs to be spread out across the country, the south east is crying out for job creation, and the majority on the dole will be happier when we are back to work, I know i will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Australia put limits on who they let in and so do other countries so why cant Ireland do it. We are not being racist by doing this.

Immigrants have nothing to do with it. Asylum seekers have an acceptance rate of something like 2% (dont quote me on that, but it's low!!!), the rest are EU workers, Students (who are paying to be here and the government is trying to attract more of) or skilled workers needed that Ireland doesnt have (the long list of language immigrants coming to FB, Google, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I have been unemployed for the last two years after getting my masters. I worked for 4 years to get the money together for my studies but when I went to go on the social welfare I found out that my boss had not been paying the correct PRSI and I was not entitled to benefits. I then applied for allowance but because I moved back in with my parents after quitting my job I did not pass the means test.

I quit the job I had during college because after multiple robberies I had a panic attack anytime the door opened.

I have a masters degree, top of my class, and 4 years experience in retail and apply for 15-20 jobs a week (if I can even find that many that will accept my skill set). If I'm lucky I get a rejection letter. If I'm really lucky I might even get an interview but in the end I will usually get ignored.

That's two years unemployed with no welfare and €100 a month from my brother which immediately vanishes into car tax and insurance. Not too mention how wonderful it feels to be leeching off family.

It's all well and good to have a job and complain about scroungers too lazy to get a job, or for people who have years of experience in a desirable field and can find plenty of work but try putting yourself in shoes of somebody who doesn't have that experience. Unemployment is at 14%. Of that 14% somebody is going to have that experience that you don't have. You are the bottom of the heap.

I could try to retrain as something useful but as I don't pass the means test I do not qualify for training schemes either.

However I can totally understand how people think that I and others would enjoy that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Well no that's why there must be clear guidelines. There's no point in applying for a managerial position in IT if youre only experienced with retail or veterinary work. Actively seeking work shouldn't mean applying for anything. It should mean actively seeking work you're suited to.

As for rejection - no one likes it. It's disheartening. But you (people) have to just deal with that somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Are you one of these people who think the unemployed shoud take any type of job and are too lazy to work?

Do you really think people want to be on the dole?

My father is under two years from retirement and was made redundant. Do you think he is a dole sponger?

No Lisa. In my mind a dole sponger is someone who has no intention of working but who expects the state to support them and their families. Sounds like your father has been a contributer to the system. Even myself, if I went on welfare today and never worked again, it's unlikely I could claim back half of what I have paid in.
    I have just been out to help deliver furniture to a house that was being paid for out of the public purse. The occupants of the house, who appeared to be in full health, didn't even move stuff out of our way, but were quick enough to inform us of their entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

People on the dole during the so-called boom years should be made explain themselves. That's it. It's bad enough because of di*kheads in suits you're on the dole after work all your life and paying into th system without the same dicks harassing you when you're on the dole and don't want to be but are because of them and their pals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Perhaps I am lucky I don't know.

Can I not have an opinion, is it only unemployed people who can post in this thread?
    I know plenty of people who do not work, have lost jobs etc. I am not totally oblivious to the real world or the problems people have.

You certainly are lucky.

Of course you can have an opinion, but when it's one so out of touch with the situation at hand, don't be surprised when you get shot down for expressing it.

Back on topic about the dole spungers, part of the problem is you couldn't train them to tie their shoes. I recall being lambasted by a fellow i grew up with who's the dictionary definition of lazy - "ah look at Mr. Education, thinks he's great!". I was starting 4th year - of secondary school! What kind of job is suitable for a guy with that kind of mentality?

People on the dole during the so-called boom years should be made explain themselves. That's it. It's bad enough because of di*kheads in suits you're on the dole after work all your life and paying into th system without the same dicks harassing you when you're on the dole and don't want to be but are because of them and their pals!

I agree. I was on the dole for 3 months in 2003 before I did a course and you should have seen the 18 and 19 year olds in tracksuits signing on. Some of them may have had bad luck in getting a job but others were just too lazy. There the one's that must be targeted and of course those committing fraud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

I agree. I was on the dole for 3 months in 2003 before I did a course and you should have seen the 18 and 19 year olds in tracksuits signing on. Some of them may have had bad luck in getting a job but others were just too lazy. There the one's that must be targeted and of course those committing fraud.

Big time, I have two sisters like that and they make me sick. Most on the dole are unlucky and we're in the **** and there's no work so what can you do? But there's some, like my sisters, who rip the piss and are lazy and contribute nothing to society.

I have been unemployed for the last two years after getting my masters. I worked for 4 years to get the money together for my studies but when I went to go on the social welfare I found out that my boss had not been paying the correct PRSI and I was not entitled to benefits. I then applied for allowance but because I moved back in with my parents after quitting my job I did not pass the means test.

I quit the job I had during college because after multiple robberies I had a panic attack anytime the door opened.

I have a masters degree, top of my class, and 4 years experience in retail and apply for 15-20 jobs a week (if I can even find that many that will accept my skill set). If I'm lucky I get a rejection letter. If I'm really lucky I might even get an interview but in the end I will usually get ignored.

That's two years unemployed with no welfare and €100 a month from my brother which immediately vanishes into car tax and insurance. Not too mention how wonderful it feels to be leeching off family.

It's all well and good to have a job and complain about scroungers too lazy to get a job, or for people who have years of experience in a desirable field and can find plenty of work but try putting yourself in shoes of somebody who doesn't have that experience. Unemployment is at 14%. Of that 14% somebody is going to have that experience that you don't have. You are the bottom of the heap.

I could try to retrain as something useful but as I don't pass the means test I do not qualify for training schemes either.

However I can totally understand how people think that I and others would enjoy that situation.

Are you 25 years old and over? If you are I dont understand how you could not be entitled to jobseekers allowance because even if your living with your parents once you reach 25 their income is not taken into account when deciding if your entitled to the payment and how much. I know that for a fact because I was in that situation.

Obviously if they know you have savings and can support yourself while looking for work then you dont get anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've friends and family that have been on the Dole for over 2-4 years.. And they love it.. It's free money. Makes me sick sometimes. ( needless to say these people live at home and don't have kids/mortgages etc )

I was made redundant in April 2009. I was on the Dole for 5 weeks and I found a job.

Ive no degree or anything and it wasn't easy finding work but doing nothing all day nearly killed me. ( you could class my work as admin work )

I know it's not easy these days to find work. But there are jobs out there people just don't want the jobs that are there.

I think this time limit is a great idea. BUT I know from seeing it before that if all people had to do is show they are looking for work then all they will do is collect compliment slips from the company's ... yes I've seen people do that lol. That's there "proof" of looking. - Or just email in CV's and not turn up for interviews etc.

If it works and it fills up all the empty jobs out there then people on the Dole then have an excuse. ( I know alot of the jobs out there require highly skilled people but there a good few jobs with less experience required )

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

What if - when a person goes for an interview the company uses the company stamp and signs dates the booklet a person on the dole has?
    Of course most applications don't result in an interview so in that case you provide rejection letters. If the applicant doesn't get one it's up to them to ring and ask for one.
    But I don't know how practicable it would be as itd cost the companies some money

I know a lad on the uk. They enforce this rule about actively seeking work. Or they did where he lived. He took a temp job ever six months to keep the dole office off his back and then claimed dole in between. It was 10 years ago so I dunno if people can do that now but that was a true scrounger and the type we need to weed out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    What if - when a person goes for an interview the company uses the company stamp and signs dates the booklet a person on the dole has?

The booklet is kept in the dole office at all times.

This is what i used to do when I was on the dole.

I'd print off all the confirmation of application pages from jobs.ie or monster.ie or whatever site i had used to apply for a job. I was also signed up with 4 different Agencies and had a letter from each one confirming that my details were with them. Everytime they would send me out on an interview i would ask them for a confirmation letter to show the dole office (which they were always happy to give me).

The one time i was asked by the Social to prove I was looking for work I arrived down with this massive pile of papers and i was looked at like i had ten heads. lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

NeVeR wrote: »

I know it's not easy these days to find work. But there are jobs out there people just don't want the jobs that are there.

you skipped most of this thread... so ill reiterate the flaw in your statement

most employers wont hire irish people for these low skilled jobs because they think irish people will leave when they find something better....in truth they are probably right. It is not that people aren't appying for those jobs its just these employers arent hiring irish... they can get cheaper foreign labour and know that foreigners will stay longer.

I think this time limit is a great idea. BUT I know from seeing it before that if all people had to do is show they are looking for work then all they will do is collect compliment slips from the company's ... yes I've seen people do that lol. That's there "proof" of looking. - Or just email in CV's and not turn up for interviews etc.

If it works and it fills up all the empty jobs out there then people on the Dole then have an excuse. ( I know alot of the jobs out there require highly skilled people but there a good few jobs with less experience required )

about 90% of the jobs ive applied for never responded in any way shape or form... which is rude imo but proving you applied for jobs is not gonna be easy when employers cant be arsed to reply to your application. I even did an interview with ESB 2 months ago and have yet to even get a reject letter from them let alone a job offer.

• Advertisement

I've friends and family that have been on the Dole for over 2-4 years.. And they love it.. It's free money. Makes me sick sometimes. ( needless to say these people live at home and don't have kids/mortgages etc )

I was made redundant in April 2009. I was on the Dole for 5 weeks and I found a job.

Ive no degree or anything and it wasn't easy finding work but doing nothing all day nearly killed me. ( you could class my work as admin work )

I post too much here but since its my day off I have time do so.
    needless to say these people live at home and don't have kids/mortgages etc

That is not the case.I have relatives who are on the dole more than 2 years and who applied for hundreds of jobs if not more in Ireland and outside the country and cant get work.

They have financial obligations as in a mortgage and are doing everything they can to get work. So you cant say that everyone on the dole that long has no mortgage or kids.

I have a relative who worked in construction and immediately after he became a father he had to leave the country and spend two years working and only came home during holidays and so on and when the contract ended he was due to go to Sweden to work but due to the ash cloud fiasco he could not travel and someone else got the job.

He desparately wants to work to support child and pay his mortgage. He cant even get onto the CE Scheme. He is over experienced but wouldn't you think that everyone should have the opportunity to be considered for the scheme.it would be better than having them sit at home doing nothing.

If the Troika are actually warning the government to cut costs why dont tell them to cut their salaries and stop their laundry tax write offs.Also travel expenses should be stopped. Politicans choose to run for election the publuc did not tell them to so why should taxpayers money be used to pay for their travel. They are earning enough to pay be able to pay for it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Annabella1

People on the dole during the so-called boom years should be made explain themselves. That's it

Agree+ Read today that up to 1/3 of FAS interviewees dont turn up which indicates they are either working or bone idle.
    Delighted this is being brought in by the Troika which means the government have to implement it

Annabella1 wrote: »
    People on the dole during the so-called boom years should be made explain themselves. That's it

Agree+ Read today that up to 1/3 of FAS interviewees dont turn up which indicates they are either working or bone idle.
    Delighted this is being brought in by the Troika which means the government have to implement it

What happens if you cant get a job and you have reached the highest level of education and you cant get work outside the country either?

If your still on the dole after the time limit will your payments still be cut if so thats unfair.

I fear my relatives will be penniless and have no money.

Also its a known fact there are people who will never work again and thats not their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What happens if you cant get a job and you have reached the highest level of education and you cant get work outside the country either?

If your still on the dole after the time limit will your payments still be cut if so thats unfair.

I fear my relatives will be penniless and have no money.

Also its a known fact there are people who will never work again and thats not their fault.

That's how it is in most countries. After 1 year over here, you have to use up all your assets and savings and move into accommodation that meets certain requirements, e.g. size, cost, etc, before you get any further assistance - ~ €400 per month. And then you have to prove you are looking for work or you will lose that. You will be sent to interviews and you have to turn up, no excuses and no bs'ing the interviewer.

And Germany is one of the better countries. In other countries you are cut off full stop after a certain period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Simply put a system where the people who work gain next to nothing from paying into the system and people who pay nothing in get rewarded is simply unsustainable.

It's a mix of people will lose some benefit by actually working which isn't their fault exactly. How can you expect people to actually put themselves in a position where they will lose out on benefit/money by working.

The benefit system is a farce and needs to be seriously reorganised.

It's a complete load of sh1te along with the grant system in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I would go as far as to say after six months on the dole payments should be reduced.
    Sure, as long as after six months PRSI tax payments are reduced.

People complaining about those on the dole in the boom, learn the difference between long and short term unemployment.

• Advertisement

If they cut out the pile of shíte internship scheme, which is destroying anyones chances of getting a low skilled paid job, everyone would be better off.
    Oho hold on a minute.

What do you bet the first and last question asked at this "interview" will be "why didn't you take that christmas internship stacking shelves in Tescos?"

They can't make internships mandatory so they're sneaking it in the back door.

jester77 wrote: »
    That's how it is in most countries. After 1 year over here, you have to use up all your assets and savings and move into accommodation that meets certain requirements, e.g. size, cost, etc, before you get any further assistance - ~ €400 per month. And then you have to prove you are looking for work or you will lose that. You will be sent to interviews and you have to turn up, no excuses and no bs'ing the interviewer.

And Germany is one of the better countries. In other countries you are cut off full stop after a certain period of time.

I think that is a great idea but I dont like the bit about using all your savings and moving into alternative accomodation. If you have your own home and own it outright they should not be allowed to tell you what to do.Savings wont last forever. Do they seriously want to be broke before they are helped. I know in austria you have to atend an agency once a month to discuss what your doing to find work.

The government are adding to the unemployment figures by reducing redundancy rebate. It just maks it even more difficult to find work

My brother was told by social welfare to sign a form stating he was willing to attend an interview for a community based organisation. He was told that the organisation would be in contact to arrange an interview. he ever heard from them.

And I'll tell you something else - I sat down for dinner last weekend with three elderly relations who used to work in the public sector, and kept my mouth shut while they were snarling about how people on the dole should be forced to work, and they wouldn't have got that growing up.

Every one of them was enjoying a state pension that would have cost them half their paycheque for thirty years if they had to pay it themselves. What does Joan have to say about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You can see the perverted logic.

Force people off the dole into exploitative internship schemes so large businesses get pliant, dirt-cheap labour and the unemployment figures are massaged downwards.

Not so many years ago, we had unemployment rates of 2-3% so it's obvious that if reasonably-paid work is actually available, the vast majority of the population want to work.

I've said this so many times I may as well put it as a signature but all the smug (no doubt either young or in reasonaably secure jobs) posters pontificating about dole should just sign a binding affadavit that they will either take no dole, reduced dole or time-limited dole if they are ever made redundant in their working lifetime. Put your money where you mouth is; live by your principles and also provide a nice cash boost to the economy for the next 30-40 years.

If you don't want to sign this, then shut the fuck up with your whining on these interminable bloody threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Wanted to write out a well-thought out response for Joan, but really all I want to say is:

KISS MY DESPERATE, UNEMPLOYED, CONSIDERING TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE THINGS HOLE, YOU OVERPAID, OUT-OF-TOUCH KNOBETTE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

It's not a rotten attitude imo. I'm sick of peoples attitude's here, there are some jobs out there but people are not willing to work for the crap money.

I will not be losing my job but if I did I would get another one.

ob.I really hope you never lose your j

I lost my job in April 2009 after almost 21 years employment ...I thought I,d have no trouble picking something up after a few weeks... 14 months later after applying for 316 jobs and getting two interviews , I finally got a place on a CE scheme .
    I have a trade with all my Irish qualifications and a load of C&Gs.

Now I,m putting myself through college and hopefully I might get a few interviews and maybe even a job.

So if you can tell me where these jobs are let me know ? I'll try anything

I got the usual...... mortgage, kids etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I wonder is Joan watching now gathering IP addresses of all the unemployed here for her first batch of the 'Irish inquisition'? Ye should be all out looking for jobs!!! Why don't all ye wasters do something useful and set up a Facebook group: 'You're Harangueing me Joan!!' and add everyone in your local SW office :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

this country and welfare set up is the biggest joke ever,10 years ago when there was a so called boom and every one was reaping the benefits,the ones on the dole were left alone and not bothered with.

now all of a sudden there,s definately little or no work available and the decide to suddenly clamp down on the people claming dole to show where the have tryed for employment etc.where the fook do the think there gonna get jobs now?:confused:

why did,nt the clamp down on the dole 10 years ago??????????????????

mattjack wrote: »
    ob.I really hope you never lose your j

I lost my job in April 2009 after almost 21 years employment ...I thought I,d have no trouble picking something up after a few weeks... 14 months later after applying for 316 jobs and getting two interviews , I finally got a place on a CE scheme .
    I have a trade with all my Irish qualifications and a load of C&Gs.

Now I,m putting myself through college and hopefully I might get a few interviews and maybe even a job.

So if you can tell me where these jobs are let me know ? I'll try anything

I got the usual...... mortgage, kids etc .

Good luck to you in your studies. I know people who could not get work with a qualification and wanted to use the CE Scheme as a stepping stone to get back into work and get experience to go along with a course they did. They kept getting turned down.

I will complain and moan all I like about the system. There are many setors affected by the recession and businesses are closing or not hiring so where can the unemployed get work. I was right about the retired public sector workers. They dont know what its like to not be working. You cant be forced to work if nobody will give you a job. I am lucky that I have casual/partime job but there are no guarantees. I apply for jobs and get no response.

Why not get rid of FAS sooner rather than later and bring in the agency and get them to assist the unemployed.

The staff in SW offices are rude from what I have been told. They treat the unemployed like crap.

If I lost my job tomorrow I would glady take another job. I know what its like to be idle for a period of tme and its not nice.

Finally the government made mistakes throughou the years but its always those with nothing that suffer. Its a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

There's no need to label all of the unemployed as this type of scum, not all of them have this mentality, there are actually some decent people on the dole you know :rolleyes:

why not give them tasks that would be given to them and collect their dole?. Not every person on the dole is looking to "abuse the system" like you say, there are some decent people on the dole who would happily sweep the streets/pick up shit etc. And keep the streets clean for me and my work colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

bordsie wrote: »

why not give them tasks that would be given to them and collect their dole?.

Labour in exchange for financial reward eh? Problem is that they might dispute the conditions of their work. Then unionise. Then demand more pay. Then have a big meeting in Croke Park to say that their money can't be reduced. Sounds messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

It's a bit unfair to label all those receiving social welfare as "scum" or similar. I think something is needed to motivate those on social welfare to work harder to get a job, a lot begin well but get complacent and start not bothering to apply then. it's understandable, it's a severe knock to their confidence and their prospects are generally going to be a lot worse than they were previously. However, work is necessary.

A time limit, in theory, is good. What's the point though? 4% of those able to work didn't bother during the time when we had full employment and anyone could get a decent job. Are they going to work? No, are they going to be interviewed about it? Probably. Will they fling a few applications into jobs they know they won't get in order to satisfy the requirements of this interview? Most likely.

What we really need to do is reduce the welfare being given out and divert the saved money into a job placement program, where staff help people make their cvs and then apply for jobs on their behalf. Don't leave it up to the unemployed, get their cv in shape and out to employers and then penalize them if they don't turn up to interviews or are seen to be throwing them.

Another alternative would be to realistically look at things and just offer people a lump sum worth a few months dole in order to pay the costs of emigration and have sufficient money going over to get a job elsewhere. It'd look after the Irish citizens and reduce to bill long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

with that rotten attitude i hope you lose your job.

It's not a rotten attitude imo. I'm sick of peoples attitude's here, there are some jobs out there but people are not willing to work for the crap money.

I will not be losing my job but if I did I would get another one.
    You should consider becoming a fortune-teller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

FÁS should be privatised so that worthwhile certs/diplomas etc etc are awarded.

• Advertisement

Actually, can anyone offer me some advice?

I want to move to Dublin and look for work. (ANY work)

Problem is, I can't afford to stay there on meager dole savings. My sister lives there, as does my BF. My sister is a tough cookie, and while we do get on, she won't make me feel comfortable if I stay with her and her BF for a weeks, sleeping on their futon. My BF would have me in a second, but he has a flatmate so obviously it wouldn't be fair on him for me to crash there for a few weeks. Plus, their apartment is TINY and barely houses two. So, I feel kinda stuck. I'm living at my parents two and a half hours from Dublin. They can't afford to loan me money, as they have been badly affected by the recession too. So, what can I do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Actually, can anyone offer me some advice?

I want to move to Dublin and look for work. (ANY work)

Problem is, I can't afford to stay there on meager dole savings. My sister lives there, as does my BF. My sister is a tough cookie, and while we do get on, she won't make me feel comfortable if I stay with her and her BF for a weeks, sleeping on their futon. My BF would have me in a second, but he has a flatmate so obviously it wouldn't be fair on him for me to crash there for a few weeks. Plus, their apartment is TINY and barely houses two. So, I feel kinda stuck. I'm living at my parents two and a half hours from Dublin. They can't afford to loan me money, as they have been badly affected by the recession too. So, what can I do?
    Move into somewhere new with your boyfriend,or stay in a hostel for a while and get rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Lads, I think most of you are missing the point of this story. This will be aimed at people on the dole long term. People that lost their job in 2007 onwards will & should be ok due to the circumstances that the country is in.

This seems to be for the losers that make it their life to be on the dole. All they need to do is look at their records, see who was on the dole from 2000 - present day.. then simply stop their payments :) No excuses in the world could account for not working for this length of time.

These are the "people" that this is aimed at. About time too, People who make a living out of being on the dole are a piece of sh1t in my eyes..

hmm don't want to cause a panic but some people might consider being on the dole since 2007 longterm.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Move into somewhere new with your boyfriend,or stay in a hostel for a while and get rent allowance.

We've only been going out five months, so bit soon I think! :)

Problem is, I was ill which was why I had to leave my last job, so it's more illness benefit than dole (same amount though). That complicates things. And I just want to be off SW at this stage. :-/

The hostel is an idea! Hmmm, you got me thinking! :)

One last point the IMF has warned that the global eonomy is in serious danger. More jobs are going to be lost.If you apply for jobs and get knock backs you cant have payments cut. all the unemployed having their payments cut would just result in more jobs being lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I certainly agree there should be a time limit for collecting dole. I was out of work for 6 months, actively looking for a job and unable to get it because I live at home. Yet there are those who have been on it for months and years on end and not even attempting to find work.

Obviously it would need to be regulated and I don't honestly think anyone is saying EVERYONE should be subject to it. But if you simply not bothering to try to get work, then I have to problem with your payment being cut or stopped if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I hope this is balanced by increasing the benefits paid to people who have worked all their life (and paid PRSI), and who now find themselves on the dole.

It's a disgrace that people who have never worked a day in their life get the same dole, health benefits etc as those who have worked hard all their life. In fact, the former group get more as they'll be first in line for free houses and handouts for prams, communions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cladda1112

What annoys me is they are going to target the new people. These are the people that are or have lost their jobs recently. What about targeting the people that have being on the dole for years even through the boom years. And it would be so easy to trace these people. Anyone recently on the dole does not want to be their believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Why stop this plan of cutting for failure at social welfare?

Bring it into all areas:

If a PS worker fails in his/her duty of work - sack them instead of keeping them on.

If a politician fails and they were many in the previous government and some in the current government (espicially Joan and her farce of a slaveship scheme scheme) cut their payments.

Otherwise it is discrimination, pure and simple.

So go on Moan Burton and introduce this but don't forget about about yourself and the rest of the fcukwit politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

We should give the politicians an end time for them to have created jobs by and if they don't meet that deadline, we cut their pay.

Advertisement