Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steinel PIR floodlight not switching off

Options
  • 24-01-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

We have 4 steinel PIR security floodlights at the rear of our house.
    One of those suddenly stayed on all last night and continues on today.
    I have cleared the sensor area of light cobwebs but I don't think that has made any difference.
    Are these units known to fail ?
    I've no switch to override apart from (perhaps) a switch on the main fuseboard/circuitbreaker for all outside security lights.

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

It sounds broken to me. I recommend you fix it, or get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I turned off the circuit breaker switch to force it off and then turned back on again to see if that might reset it.
    All security lights came on but it was the only one remaining on constant after that so it looks well broken alright.

This is the light

The blurb says integrated PIR..
    Does anyone know if the PIR sensor can be replaced without need to replace the entire bulb housing, etc for these ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ifconfig wrote: »
    I turned off the circuit breaker switch to force it off and then turned back on again to see if that might reset it.
    All security lights came on but it was the only one remaining on constant after that so it looks well broken alright.

This is the light

Does anyone know if the PIR sensor can be replaced without need to replace the entire bulb housing, etc for these ?
    They don't normally give trouble. Also they come with a 3 year warranty. Perhaps you are still covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Thanks for info regarding warranty.
    We are in the house since September 2007 and I would say those lights were installed a few months before that again.
    I probably do have the receipts but that would be outside the 3yr warranty period, in any case.

I will phone the elec.wholesalers here in Mayo to see whether a full unit is needed.
    I might also take a look to see it isn't some temporary physical thing which is fooling the sensor.

-ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kaylen.

Thanks for info regarding warranty.
    We are in the house since September 2007 and I would say those lights were installed a few months before that again.
    I probably do have the receipts but that would be outside the 3yr warranty period, in any case.

I will phone the elec.wholesalers here in Mayo to see whether a full unit is needed.
    I might also take a look to see it isn't some temporary physical thing which is fooling the sensor.

-ifc

ID imagine its a faulty Sensor. As far as i know them steinel halogen lights are just a whole unit. You can get cheaper versions that will do the same job for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

This is the light

How long did you turn it off for? Some of these lights have an override mode where if you flick power off and then on quickly they stay permanently on.you have to turn them off for 10 seconds or so to reset.

Advertisement