Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i be forced to do overtime?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My work are putting me down for overtime without having asked me, its time that is directly before my repeat exams so i told them i can't do it but they told me its in my contract that i'm required to do overtime. Can anyone shed some light on this, its really stressing me out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

but they told me its in my contract that i'm required to do overtime

Did you check this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Your contract probably has something along the lines of "You will be expected to work overtime" - seen this fairly regularly.

You should check yours out....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

it says from time to time some overtime may be required. There is no overtime pay just the normal pay. Ordinarily i wouldn't mind but that its an extra 3 days a week, so full time right before my exams is really annoying me and would put huge stress and pressure on me. I already asked for it for holidays but was refused

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I take it you're working in retail and have a 15 hour contract or similar and they are putting you on a 37 hour week before your repeats.

If you were full time you could argue that over time would result in you working more that 48 hours per week and contravene the working time directive but as its only bringing you up to full time hours, you dont really have a case. If you say no, you will probably never be asked again. Is there some one else who would like the over time?

Advertisement