Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Points to be scrapped?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, we lose the great points discounts from live-codes and sites like that, but on the other hand, you buy games as you want them using real currency, so you'll never be in the situation where you have 400 points in your account looking for something random to spend them on....

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2012/01/23/exclusive-microsoft-to-discontinue-its-virtual-currency-system-microsoft-points/
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-10622-Rumour--Microsoft-to-Scrap-Microsoft-Points.html
    Microsoft’s proprietary virtual currency system, Microsoft Points, will be phased out by the end of the year, according to a source with knowledge of the company’s decision. The change will affect developers for Windows Phone, the Zune marketplace and Xbox Live.

By the end of 2012, all transactions will be based on the region set on the purchasing account and real money will be used to purchase all Windows Phone content. The move puts the Windows Phone Marketplace in line with the purchasing practices used in the App Store and the Android Market.

When asked Microsoft declined to provide further information, with a Microsoft spokesperson responding with “we do not comment on rumours or speculation.”

Mobile developers that have publishing agreements with Microsoft are being warned to plan their upcoming downloadable content (DLC) and in-app purchases in accordance with the change. Customers with existing Microsoft Points balances will have them converted into their local currency after the switch.

Microsoft Points are currently used to purchase games and media content on Xbox Live, the Zune Marketplace, the PC and Windows Phone, but the system isn’t used universally. On Xbox Live, the prices for full games are listed in dollars, but downloadable content is purchased with Points. On Windows Phone, apps are priced in dollars, but users can make in-app purchases with Points. Windows Phone users can also use Microsoft Points to buy accessories for their Xbox Live avatars and purchase Points directly from their phones.

While the decision to eliminate Microsoft Points may seem to be a surprising move, Microsoft has been gradually introducing cash purchases to Xbox Live, the most popular platform where Points are used. It makes sense for the company to move to a single cash-based payment system, as it brings it in line with its app market competitors and eliminates a consistent criticism of the system — that the Points to dollar conversion ratio is not only confusing, but it forces consumers to purchase more Points than they actually need. The smallest amount of Points that a consumer can purchase at one time is 400, or $5 worth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Seanie06

ABout time. Points were too confusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aw, I like the fact I'm fooled into thinking things are cheaper than they are. For instance, if I see something for 1200pts I'd be more likely to get it than if it says £9.99 or whatever. :o

On a personal note, I wonder how this will affect those of us currently being screwed by MS' account region shenanigans. For instance, I'm currently using my Irish account in the UK so does that mean, assuming there's an online top up system like the PSN wallet put in place, I'll have to pay in Euro and be subjected to to a conversion surcharge everytime I top up? Likewise, if they replace the current MS Points cards with cash equivalents, when I buy a sterling top up card will my balance be converted to Euro in my account so that I can purchase euro priced content?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I reckon it'll get to a stage where all your purchases are done by credit card, so there'll be no more topping up. Bit of a bollocks seeing as how difficult it is to get your card taken off your account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Time to invest in a 3v card or one of the others, no way are MS getting credit card details.

The points to cash conversion could be interesting , if it's done at current value MS sell points form the dash then surely there would be motive to buy one or two cheaper cards and put them on the account before conversion ;) ....... knowing MS it will probably end up costing us :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not happy about the idea of giving my credit card details to yet another company. Not happy with the alternative of rip-off pre-pay cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Well, I'll just scrap buying things on the marketplace so. I buy a fair few MSP and they will lose a lot of business from people who refuse to let them hold their credit card details or people who don't have or want a credit card.

I use the O2 money card for my online purchases but unlike the 3v card the details are static and I don't want MS having it. I used the 3v a few years back but it's a pain in the hole and I wouldn't bother with it again just to buy crap from the marketplace.

It also opens up the whole can of worms of security on Microsoft's part, Sony were hacked and tens of thousands of people had their details stolen and had to cancel cards etc, so forcing everyone to make their digital purchases through credit cards is putting a lot of stock in their security on their part. Which isn't fool proof as is being seen with all these Fifa Ultimate team account thefts etc.

Now if they do what Sony do now and offer top up codes of real world currency then I don't care, it's all the same to me.
    But if they scrap the option of buying your digital purchase currency in store or online on the cheap then they've lost me as a customer.
    This and the new "Dashboard" just pushes it over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well, I'll just scrap buying things on the marketplace so. I buy a fair few MSP and they will lose a lot of business from people who refuse to let them hold their credit card details or people who don't have or want a credit card.

I use the O2 money card for my online purchases but unlike the 3v card the details are static and I don't want MS having it. I used the 3v a few years back but it's a pain in the hole and I wouldn't bother with it again just to buy crap from the marketplace.

It also opens up the whole can of worms of security on Microsoft's part, Sony were hacked and tens of thousands of people had their details stolen and had to cancel cards etc, so forcing everyone to make their digital purchases through credit cards is putting a lot of stock in their security on their part. Which isn't fool proof as is being seen with all these Fifa Ultimate team account thefts etc.

Now if they do what Sony do now and offer top up codes of real world currency then I don't care, it's all the same to me.
    But if they scrap the option of buying your digital purchase currency in store or online on the cheap then they've lost me as a customer.

Wasn't Paypal being touted about, during the new dash talk. Possible Paypal integration in the future I think I heard coming up a few times. I'd say you'll likely be able to use a medium such as Paypal for CC interactions, rather than giving your details out directly. It'd cover MS nicely security wise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

EnterNow wrote: »
    Wasn't Paypal being touted about, during the new dash talk. Possible Paypal integration in the future I think I heard coming up a few times. I'd say you'll likely be able to use a medium such as Paypal for CC interactions, rather than giving your details out directly. It'd cover MS nicely security wise
    You can currently use PayPal for your purchases (e.g. Games on Demand or to Add Points to make purchases). I am sure that it would be seamless for them to spead that across the rest of the Dash / Ecosystem.

Also, I am sure you will probably still be able to get prepaid cards, like you can for iTunes credit (I think you can do the same for the PSN, too)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

On the contrary!
    The Fifa ultimate team scam uses microsoft points to buy these packages, so if anything it'll severely cut down, if not almost eradicate, that issue.

--
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

XBLM have newer games on demand going for €60..I seen one 2 weeks ago going for €70.

...pretty much pre-recession prices...no bloody way you greedy pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mr E wrote: »
    On one hand, we lose the great points discounts from live-codes and sites like that

Damn, now I will actually have to pay a tenner for an XBLA game instead of slightly less because I was getting my points on Live-codes.

Not good news for me this. :mad:

But I understand why some people would want rid of it too. Given the choice, i'd rather keep the MSP system so I can continue getting the points at a cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hopefully MS understands that $9.99 does not equal €9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Damn, now I will actually have to pay a tenner for an XBLA game instead of slightly less because I was getting my points on Live-codes.

Not good news for me this. :mad:

But I understand why some people would want rid of it too. Given the choice, i'd rather keep the MSP system so I can continue getting the points at a cheap price.

Agree completely. For example, 1200MSP games are generally meant to represent €15 afaik yet by buying the cheaper points cards they usually come out to about €11 approx. it'd be very annoying if we now just had to pay €15 for these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The other side of the situation is that companies may lower the €/$/£ price to sell more games, like others I'd be slower to buy something priced at x amount , where as if it's in MS points I don't give it nearly the same level of though............ Unlikely to happen though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

calex71 wrote: »
    The other side of the situation is that companies may lower the €/$/£ price to sell more games

I can't see that happening, I think nothing would be less than 10euro when it 1st comes out. I will be waiting for sales to buy any XBLA title when this comes in.

The way things are going no title might be less than 15euro, (10 might be too optimistic) its worrying to look at the games on demand and see some games for 25euro that you would pick up for about 5 in the shop, eg. NFS Most wanted.

I think this move will drive prices up, but we will end up buying less on release and lots more waiting around for deals in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I don't like this. Look at PSN - there are exchange rate issues and prices don't match. Plus if you read or try to source news, most of the prices are USD, which you have to make a stab at converting. Much easier to see 800 points = 800 points.

I also feel less like I'm spending real money because I'd already have the points / I'd be buying a points card anyway. Finally, there's the whole security aspect. Xbox accounts have been hacked faaaaar too recently for this to be welcome news in my opinion.

🤪

With regard to giving them your credit card details, there's no way MS won't have cash-equivalent top up cards for the service. I'm sure they're quite aware of the percentage of users who don't have a credit card and/or prefer to pay for their subs and points with store bought cards.

As for the conversion thing, while bemoaning a possible €9.99 = €9.99 situation it's equally futile to expect a straight currency conversion since that $9.99 price tag doesn't include any additional taxes whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

according to an update on the joystiq article, MS have claimed it's not true:

"Update: Microsoft Switzerland has reportedly told Gbase.de that the rumor is not true. The Google translation is a bit confusing, but it roughly translates: "We can not confirm these rumors - we are currently satisfied with the current Xbox Live Business model.""

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/rumor-microsoft-phasing-out-microsoft-points/

grimm2005 wrote: »
    according to an update on the joystiq article, MS have claimed it's not true:

"Update: Microsoft Switzerland has reportedly told Gbase.de that the rumor is not true. The Google translation is a bit confusing, but it roughly translates: "We can not confirm these rumors - we are currently satisfied with the current Xbox Live Business model.""

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/24/rumor-microsoft-phasing-out-microsoft-points/

That's hardly saying its not true though, it's just typical press release type cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

moving to a cash system away from points is a bad idea. I don't like the sounds of it at all. I reckon we'd see the price of everything go up seeing as there are decent deals available on buying points. I'd wager that 400 points would equate to €5 which is over priced. i don't see myself paying €10 for a game but 800 points is a more acceptable to price to me seeing as it comes in under €8 or at the least 100points = €1

I'll be curtailing my spend on DLC and XBLA if this does come to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

D
    jester77 wrote: »
    Hopefully MS understands that $9.99 does not equal €9.99

Me too. On windows phone £1.99 is equal to €1.99

D

Me too. On windows phone £1.99 is equal to €1.99
    $1.99 converted to Euro via xe.com is €1.53.
    €1.53 + VAT rate of 21.5% is €1.86.

Given that there are no conversion charges, nor allowances made for currency fluctuations, included in the above calculations I think it's fair to say their pricing seems pretty much spot on. :)

gizmo wrote: »

Given that there are no conversion charges, nor allowances made for currency fluctuations, included in the above calculations I think it's fair to say their pricing seems pretty much spot on. :)

But doesn't the €1.99 already include the US tax? So your comparing it against an already taxed price, & then adding on another tax?

EnterNow wrote: »
    But doesn't the €1.99 already include the US tax? So your comparing it against an already taxed price, & then adding on another tax?
    Nope. There is no federal tax in the US for digital goods, only a state one where applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

hes converting from pounds not dollars

fusuf wrote: »
    hes converting from pounds not dollars
    Well then he shouldn't be complaining if £1.99 converts to €1.99. Unless he's in the UK that is. Wait, I'm in the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Can't see this happening anytime soon but if it does it would be a good thing.
    amacachi wrote: »
    Not happy about the idea of giving my credit card details to yet another company. Not happy with the alternative of rip-off pre-pay cards.

Isn't that exactly what it's like now? Either you add your credit card/paypal account and buy points or you add a prepaid card which you buy in a shop which has a set amount of points on it. In fact, if they get rid of the points system the pricing for things will be more transparent. For anyone concerned about it, it definitely will not be mandatory to add your CC to buy points as you will be able to get prepaid cards for set amounts like you can for iTunes. Microsoft will not want to miss out on the money they could get from kids who have no access to credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Can't see this happening anytime soon but if it does it would be a good thing.

Isn't that exactly what it's like now? Either you add your credit card/paypal account and buy points or you add a prepaid card which you buy in a shop which has a set amount of points on it. In fact, if they get rid of the points system the pricing for things will be more transparent. For anyone concerned about it, it definitely will not be mandatory to add your CC to buy points as you will be able to get prepaid cards for set amounts like you can for iTunes. Microsoft will not want to miss out on the money they could get from kids who have no access to credit cards.
    True. Microsofts top selling 'peripheral' for XBox globally for the last number of years are the MS Points cards. All that will change is that you are buying credit in cash value than points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On a personal note, I wonder how this will affect those of us currently being screwed by MS' account region shenanigans. For instance, I'm currently using my Irish account in the UK so does that mean, assuming there's an online top up system like the PSN wallet put in place, I'll have to pay in Euro and be subjected to to a conversion surcharge everytime I top up? Likewise, if they replace the current MS Points cards with cash equivalents, when I buy a sterling top up card will my balance be converted to Euro in my account so that I can purchase euro priced content?
    Slugs wrote: »
    I reckon it'll get to a stage where all your purchases are done by credit card, so there'll be no more topping up. Bit of a bollocks seeing as how difficult it is to get your card taken off your account...

A combination of them not allowing changes to your country, and IP blocking, and not letting you put a card from a different country to the one your xbox is registered in ... etc... would mean there would be no way for us to purchase anything any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I like it. I hate using points and having to convert backwards. It's a real casino trick, people will hand over 1000 chips faster than a tenner even if they have the same value. It gives it more transparency and that can only be a good thing imo.

Advertisement