Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia Voltage?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey guys,

This may be a random question but maybe someone could help me out..

I was considering bringing my laptop charger, hair straightener to Aus with me but I was told by a friend the other day that they may not work over there due to different voltages..
    So the last thing I want is for this stuff to blow up on me over there!!!
    Would it be best for me to just leave them at home and buy new bits in Aus?

I hope this isn't a stupid question :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

It's the same voltage as here.
    You'll just need the correct power plug adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

Ah, great!
    You never know until you ask :)
    Thanks for you reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Do our tv's work out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

A laptop charger will work almost anywhere in the world. Normally says on them 100-240v. As long as you get a plug adapter to make it fit in the socket it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aus is 230v, just like Ireland. Different plugs is the only thing you need to worry about.

And No.6 - And TVs will work fine. Australia is PAL region just like most of europe.

• Advertisement

No6 wrote: »
    Do our tv's work out there?

Yes, we use PAL, 240v and 50Hz.
    Wouldn't bother bringing it though, would cost too much. TV's are reasonably cheap here.

Wouldn't bother bringing it though, would cost too much. TV's are reasonably cheap here.
    No.6 is emigratign with the family, so he'll probably have a container to ship over.
    But i agree with your main point, TVs have gotten very sheap lately. I recently got a great sony for $300 - picture quality is excellant.

If you'd rather, $199 for a 32" soniq with built in recorder (just connect an external drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A laptop charger will work almost anywhere in the world. Normally says on them 100-240v. As long as you get a plug adapter to make it fit in the socket it'll work.
    The one issue you may have with plug adaptors is the smaller footprint of the wall socket and the proximity of the socket wall switch. Australian sockets and switches are much smaller than UK ones. This means with the larger adaptors (especially multi-country ones) there is overlap and pressure on the power switch. Probably better to get a specific UK 3-pin to Aus one or else use an extension lead.

Example of socket with switch:
    1224plug.jpg

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    The one issue you may have with plug adaptors is the smaller footprint of the wall socket and the proximity of the socket wall switch. Australian sockets and switches are much smaller than UK ones. This means with the larger adaptors (especially multi-country ones) there is overlap and pressure on the power switch. Probably better to get a specific UK 3-pin to Aus one or else use an extension lead.

Example of socket with switch:
    1224plug.jpg

That looks like a kitchen socket, they are usually smaller to discourage double adapters and the like, overloading..

I use a Korjo AA02 on my laptop charger, good quality, nicely shaped, no problem fitting beside other plugs. Can be had for under $10 in most Coles supermarkets here.
    http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Adaptors---Transformers/Adaptor---AUS-NZ-%28AA-02%29--For-products-from-UK,-US.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Or you can do what I did and bring a few of 'our' board multi-socket extensions with you then you only have to change one plug.

I did the same thing when I can back having shipped a load of electrical goods back with me - it was cheaper then replacing them here. Brought a few Aussie extensions and changed the plugs on those.

I should tell that one of the things I brought back was a TV - We never managed to get sound on it - I know a few people that happened to. Picture came in fine - no sound. Worked ok with VCR/DVD/PS etc.
    I don't know if the same problem might occur taking a TV from Ireland to Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 cianor

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I should tell that one of the things I brought back was a TV - We never managed to get sound on it - I know a few people that happened to. Picture came in fine - no sound. Worked ok with VCR/DVD/PS etc.
    I don't know if the same problem might occur taking a TV from Ireland to Oz.

As mentioned not all TVs will work over here. I believe that the frequencies used are different from the UK/Ireland. My TV was a few years old when I brought it over, but it did have an option under set-up where I could tell it what country I was in. Australia was not an option, but I was able to select Germany and I get both Picture and Sound. This is a seperate setting from the Language which of course I left in English.

I believe that some people have encountered the No Sound Issue (more so on older tvs) but they use a Digital Set Top box and this works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That looks like a kitchen socket, they are usually smaller to discourage double adapters and the like, overloading..

I use a Korjo AA02 on my laptop charger, good quality, nicely shaped, no problem fitting beside other plugs. Can be had for under $10 in most Coles supermarkets here.
    The problem isn't fitting beside other plugs, but more the overlap with the socket switch - especially with the multi adaptor I was using.

universal-travel-adapter-with-usb-charger-613.jpg
    Now looking at the size of the Australian pins on that and you can see where problems would arise.

The korjo ones are much smaller than the one I was using (was travelling to several countries)

cianor wrote: »
    As mentioned not all TVs will work over here. I believe that the frequencies used are different from the UK/Ireland. My TV was a few years old when I brought it over, but it did have an option under set-up where I could tell it what country I was in. Australia was not an option, but I was able to select Germany and I get both Picture and Sound. This is a seperate setting from the Language which of course I left in English.

I believe that some people have encountered the No Sound Issue (more so on older tvs) but they use a Digital Set Top box and this works fine.
    The electricity frequencies are the same. 50 hertz
    And the TV broadcast frequencies are over the same range also.

The only reason an older television wouldn't work would be if it couldn't cope with the digital signal directly through the antenna port, which was previously only analogue.

Solutions would be to use analogue antenna, or a set top box or foxtel/sky box to handle the digital signal and feed the TV.

Or just buy a modern telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

My job is paying a relocation allowance, so I can basicly throw it in a container and at least I'll have a tv when i get there!!:D

HHmmm I'll bring a screwdriver too, I am sure I can manage to change a few plugs too!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Alot of laptop chargers allow you to remove the power cable for the charger itself so you could possibly just get an Australia power lead for the charger on eBay, if your going long term cut off the Irish plug and replace with an Aussie one.

No6 wrote: »
    HHmmm I'll bring a screwdriver too, I am sure I can manage to change a few plugs too!!!

Most if not all Australian plugs are molded 1 piece, you can't open them. I had a hell of time finding a fuse for an Irish plug that blew when I got here. They just don't sell them anywhere for that reason, no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Dont mean to derail but anyone know where to get an Australian adapter in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I picked one up in a hardware store when I went home, like 2euro or something.
    Think they also have them in the 2-euro-shop or whatever they are called

Advertisement