Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC MAC Address authentication?

• 24-01-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before but a (quick) search did not show up anything.

Do UPC use MAC authentication? I have a computer connected directly to the cable modem, this was installed/setup by a UPC technician ages ago. If I plug another computer into it it will not connect. I tried setting up a wireless AP yesterday and that didn't work either, DHCP problems.

I am wondering if I need to clone the mac address from the connected PC onto the wireless AP in order to get it to work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The cable modem itself uses mac to auth with upc. The devices connected to the cable modem do NOT use mac auth, they should just work.

This is unless you have changed the settings on your router to set it up yourself. If it still has default settings it should have wireless ap enabled. Just ring UPC and say it isn't working :) I had a lot of problem with router doing strange things (one pc could not connect, others were fine, router also kept resetting). I got UPC to replace router and problems went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is that a modem only? You need a router, not an AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I believe it's a wireless router only, no modem.

Correct me if I'm wrong: five ethernet ports on the back, one port marked WAN, the other four marked LAN1, LAN2....4. One wireless antenna.

I don't think it has any modem based on the assumption, no cable or telephone line ports on it. I assumed that the UPC modem would be doing the modem work and I could plug the ethernet from the UPC modem straight into the WAN port on the AP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can. Is the UPC modem just a modem or is it a router/modem? When you say DHCP problems, do you mean your PC doesn't get an address or the router doesn't get an address on its WAN port?

Zab wrote: »
    You can. Is the UPC modem just a modem or is it a router/modem? When you say DHCP problems, do you mean your PC doesn't get an address or the router doesn't get an address on its WAN port?

UPC is just a modem. It looked like the router didn't get an IP address, Under DHCP status the IP, Default Gateway and Subnet MAsk were all 0.0.0.0. From that section I tried 'DHCP release' and then renew but it failed to renew :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Is your original computer set to use DHCP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before but a (quick) search did not show up anything.

Do UPC use MAC authentication? I have a computer connected directly to the cable modem, this was installed/setup by a UPC technician ages ago. If I plug another computer into it it will not connect. I tried setting up a wireless AP yesterday and that didn't work either, DHCP problems.

I am wondering if I need to clone the mac address from the connected PC onto the wireless AP in order to get it to work?

Thanks

disable mac address authentication on the router.... its a useless easy to cheat system anyways.

if u cannot access the router do a reset on the router (that little pin hole) to set it back to it's default settings.

also plug the modem into the WAN port of the router.... make sure your router is set to static ip address such as 192.168.1.1 and the dhcp address pool is from 192.168.1.2 tp 192.168.1.254 and that dhcp server is enabled.

Short update, I got it working but am surprised. I connected the working PC to the router and cloned the PC MAC to the router...success

Am really surprised that worked though because that implies that the broadband is linked specifically to one MAC address only which would be a bit crap. Anyway, I'll give UPC a ring at some stage to get an explaination.

Advertisement