Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primer Recommendations!!

• 24-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a moderately-priced (no more than about €25) decent primer. I have combination skin, ranging from very dry to quite oily. I use oil-free foundation and a bit of powder so it's my dry skin that causes problems, my foundation often flakes around it and it just looks gross :(

For a while I was using L'Oreal Paris Studio Secrets and I actually found this really good, but it's a small enough size so doesn't last too long.

A few months ago I bought Gosh Velvet Touch Line Perfector. It had an identical look and consistency to the L'oreal one and, at €20, it was the same price but about 3 times the size. But it's useless, it doesn't make a difference to my foundation whether I'm wearing it or not. I guess I should have realised it's more for mature or wrinkled skin before using it!

So I'm thinking of going and buying the L'oreal one again, but if anyone else has any good recommendations please let me knoe!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm looking for a moderately-priced (no more than about €25) decent primer. I have combination skin, ranging from very dry to quite oily. I use oil-free foundation and a bit of powder so it's my dry skin that causes problems, my foundation often flakes around it and it just looks gross :(

For a while I was using L'Oreal Paris Studio Secrets and I actually found this really good, but it's a small enough size so doesn't last too long.

A few months ago I bought Gosh Velvet Touch Line Perfector. It had an identical look and consistency to the L'oreal one and, at €20, it was the same price but about 3 times the size. But it's useless, it doesn't make a difference to my foundation whether I'm wearing it or not. I guess I should have realised it's more for mature or wrinkled skin before using it!

So I'm thinking of going and buying the L'oreal one again, but if anyone else has any good recommendations please let me knoe!

The best primer I've used is by Peter Thomas Roth, voted best primer in the US in the Instyle Awards

gel_8.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Have you tried the Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer? I can't wear foundation without it. My skin is very combination, and it holds off the oil as well as smoothing out any flakiness. Only the tiniest amount will do the job! Maybe if you have one of those little pots you could acquire some from a sample in a shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I've tried loads and the only one that I have kept with is the L'Oreal Studio Secrets one that you liked. It's the only one that suited me perfectly. The likes of Gosh and Smashbox did nothing for me. I really think it depends on your skin though so different primers suit different skin types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jenizzle wrote: »
    Have you tried the Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer? I can't wear foundation without it. My skin is very combination, and it holds off the oil as well as smoothing out any flakiness. Only the tiniest amount will do the job! Maybe if you have one of those little pots you could acquire some from a sample in a shop?

No, that's the one I had in my hand to buy the day I ended up buying the Line Perfector one, and the sales girl said "Oh we have these new ones in too that are brilliant" so I went for that one instead! That's a great idea about taking a little sample, I might just do that, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah the Loreal is the only one I ever really liked. Wish it came in a bigger size!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I used to always use the Gosh velvet touch foundation primer and swore by it.

My mother bought me a bottle of it a few months ago and to be honest, it's just not the same. I don't know if any ingredients have changed (I'm assuming they have).

When I wear it now, my make up slides, it just doesn't stay in place, but if I don't wear the primer I have no problems with make up sliding etc.

It's around the €20 mark as well and frankly it isn't worth that price.

I have dry/combination skin too and I found the Smashbox photo finish primer really really good. I've only had samples of if though, it's around €40 for a small 60ml tube, but you only need a little (pea size amount) each time you use it, so the tube should last you long time, even with every day use.

http://www.smashbox.com/product/6041/17802/index.tmpl

If you go to any Smashbox counter, ask for samples of this primer, now they have various versions of this, so you could ask them for samples of various versions.

The Smashbox one is pretty expensive, but so so worth it.

There is also an Armani one, €30 I think it is, not sure though. You can get it in BTs. I don't know what Armani one it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've been using the inglot primer ever since my smashbox photo finish ran out and love it. Don't really notice a difference, it's just as good as photo finish. It isn't oil-free like PF though. Although, that hasn't impacted my opinion of it. I haven't really noticed any differences between the two. I bought it for €20 I think. You get loads in the tube too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

I'll probably be ate for saying this but I use Lanacane anti chafing gel. Seen a lot of bloggers raving about this. Had been using the Urban Decay complection perfection before and it was pretty good but ran out of it very quick and it felt very tacky to the touch. Was out in my parents the day after it ran out and seen my da had some after a recent op. He wasn't using it anymore so nabbed it to give it a try.
    I'll admit I was very hesitant to use it but after trying it I loved it. Glides on and my foundation just goes on a dream. I have very oily t zone and then dry patches on my outer cheeks and this mattifies lovely and doesn't accentuate any of my dry bits. For the price its worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I use the NYX Studio Perfect primer. It's pretty good, and you only need to use a little bit. I've quite dry skin, and it masks the flakyness well. Don't know how it is for oily though.

Apparently Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm is meant to be class as a primer, does anyone use it? My mum has a tube of it that she doesn't really use, but I don't want to nab it just in case it's no good :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Apparently Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm is meant to be class as a primer, does anyone use it? My mum has a tube of it that she doesn't really use, but I don't want to nab it just in case it's no good :p
    I used it once and to be honest, it was utterly useless, for me anyway.

At the time I used it, I had oily skin (all over) and the flash balm did nothing, it made zero difference to my make up etc. Many people find it good/fantastic/amazing etc, so it could just be me.

I haven't used it in a few years and have no desire to use it again to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Thanks for that. I've heard really mixed reviews on it, so that's why I'm a little iffy... I might just try it out when I'm home next for the craic.

Advertisement