Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alarm?

• 24-01-2012 12:05pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, do many people put alarms on their classic cars? I'm about to buy a '77 911 and it will be my daily driver. Obviously I'm concerned for its safety - I could put a huge chain around the steering wheel, but I would like an alarm/immobiliser, and remote central locking would be nice too. I would just be worried about potentially giving me problems like draining the battery - I've had battery problems with many vehicles in the past and it drives me nuts, so I want to make sure this is done properly. Has anyone got this done and can they recommend anyone?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Don't put central locking into it if the car is mostly original. Its a messy job, adds nothing to the car and would probably detract from its value in the future. You only have 2 doors and the car is small enough to be able to open or lock the passenger door from the drivers seat.

For a decent alarm go to a professional and get a tracker fitted as well. 911s are surprisingly easy to steal. If you need an optical deterent then buy a strong chain. Use the seat base to fit a ring where you can quickly put the chain through and through the steering wheel. Get a top quality lock as well, not a crap one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭mustang68

a chain is only as strong as the steering wheel it is attached to (usually a tube of steel wrapped in foam). But is is a deterrent. I got one of the steering locks that wraps around the whole wheel, really easy to see from outside the car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

An immobiliser is probably more important. If it's not an easy swipe - it unlikely to be targeted.

That and a $5 flashing LED from eBay for your dash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks that's actually a great idea! The car will be kept in an underground garage but I'm just thinking about the odd time I might have to park in town etc. Yes one of those wrap around the steering wheel ones are very visible and hopefully they just won't be bothered with the hassle..

Advertisement