Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual immersion switch - digital timer possible?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,

I have a dual immersion switch (sink/bath) which provides the hot water. For years I have suffered astronomical electricity bills heating up the water - I have to leave it on for an hour before bed so I can shower in the morning. So, after a final exasperating bill, I have decided to have a timer fitted in the hope that this helps with the cost. My problem is that I have asked an electrician to come and fit one, but he says it is not possible to fit a digital timer because the load is about 13Amps. He said digital timers are only rated for approx 5Amps.

Does this make sense? I would much rather a digital timer that I can program, as opposed to one of those simple one that will probably 'tick' all the time. If it's not possible, then it's not possible - just seems strange to me. Can anyone shed any light? And if so, what timer I should look at getting?

Many thanks

Cali

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Your electrician is wrong. TimeGuard and others make digital immersion timers. Most electrical wholesalers will stock them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

an apt timer or equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

Thanks lgk. I'll try again with someone else.

M ceebee - not sure what an APT timer is? From Google it looks to me like a mechanical/buzzing one? The immersion switch is outside the bedroom door so if the timer makes noise it will keep me awake.

the apt is mechanical but shouldnt be noisy

theres a couple of digital ones on the timeguard link

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

check out this digital timer on the esb website, will do all that you want and they deliver to your door
    http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Sangamo-Programmable-Immersion-Time-Switch-with-Boost-Control/1159/100

hope this helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

Yes your electrician is wrong, just fitted one the other day. I find that a heat merchants are the best place to buy them. Got a good digital one that is capable of holding 3 programmes a day 7 days a week. Cost €62 but is worth it when you start seeing the difference in the esb bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Even with a 5A digital timer, it can still easily be done through a contactor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Got a good digital one that is capable of holding 3 programmes a day 7 days a week.

Also worth having is a override button (not sure if this is the correct term) which allows one to turn on the immersion outside the pre-set hours but automatically turns off after one hour (in case one forgets)

Such items should really be standard fitting on all installations in this day and age.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Got a good digital one that is capable of holding 3 programmes a day 7 days a week.

Also worth having is a override button (not sure if this is the correct term) which allows one to turn on the immersion outside the pre-set hours but automatically turns off after one hour (in case one forgets)

Such items should really be standard fitting on all installations in this day and age.

the immersion isnt as important these days on new work

if its all electric water heating -the controller will have timed and boost

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Yeah a boost button is definately needed, i think most digital timers come with them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 realityr

Take a look at this range from uk called sangamo http://www.sangamo.co.uk/web/FILES/PDF_Documents/2010_Powersaver_Family_Low_Res_Literature.pdf
    and http://www.sangamo.co.uk/

I believe that smaller units (PSB boost & maxi, PSD, PS24/7, PSW) designed for single elements still can be installed ''before'' your current bath/sink button, so the current will go until the timer>bath/sink button>immersion heater. This way you could retain your bath/sink button and have timer installed to control the timing.

These units have 16A, 230V, 50/60H capacity so no problem there.

The larger dual elements timers (you need powersaver dual flexi) these I believe are going to ''replace'' your sink/bath button. - they are more expensive to buy and require larger hole in the wall + electrician. btw hi all.

realityr wrote: »
    The larger dual elements timers are going to ''replace'' your sink/bath button.

Well the immersion switch is an isolator as well as a selector switch, so if the isolator aspect of it is still required, it may as well have the selector as well, unless the timer is going to be an isolator too.

Simple switch isolators is the best way though.
    btw hi all.

Hello:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 realityr

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well the immersion switch is an isolator as well as a selector switch, so if the isolator aspect of it is still required, it may as well have the selector as well, unless the timer is going to be an isolator too.

From sangamo DUAL FLEXI range it appear that ''boost'' button acts as a selector that switches only the smaller heating element of the dual immersion heater (in this case it would be 'sink'). The digital timer would switch the 'bath' during the night for times/programs selected.

PS24/7 unit should be fine if installed as addition to current set up. This addition would be installed on the wall outside the hot press, between mains and sink/bath/on/off switch.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Simple switch isolators is the best way though.

Simple is the best but OP wants to control the time the switch is ON to lower his heating bills.

realityr wrote: »

Simple is the best but OP wants to control the time the switch is ON to lower his heating bills.

You missed my point. (Badly worded probably) I said a simple isolator switch to isolate the immersion is the best form of isolator. I never said a switch instead of a timer.

Your other post suggested no need for the immersion switch, or maybe just the bath/sink selector part, as the timer you mentioned does all.

Im saying an isolator switch should be used regardless of what timer setup is used.

Advertisement