Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Stop Dust in a Bedroom?

• 24-01-2012 1:13pm

Yeah, I've absolutely no idea where I'm supposed to put this, evidently there isn't a cleaning forum (no, the Ladies Lounge doesn't count, before someone jumps in there, which, since this is AH, will invariably happen!).

My room gets extraordinarily dusty no matter how often I clean, hoover and leave my windows open. It really aggravates me and makes me sneeze like a mofo - and, for the record, whoever said that a sneeze was an 1/8 of an orgasm was a lying so-and-so. All I get after 8 consecutive sneezes is watery eyes and a headache.

So, any advice on how to tell the dust to bugger off and leave me alone? And not actually just shouting "Bugger off, dust, leave me alone!" at the carpet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Use your bedroom less and dont open the windows as much:

Dust.
    Dust consists of particles in the atmosphere that come from various sources such as soil dust lifted up by wind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

burn the house down

also handy for getting red wine stains out of carpet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

really energetic sex in bed will have the duvet creating a mini weather system that should blow all dust out previously opened window?

also how often to you vacuum the carpet?

that could be holding the dust that gets kicked up again.

However this is still better than wooden floor as when you try and vacuum/brush it the dust just rises and lands back down again whereas with vacuum it holds the dust till its sucked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elimare

an air filter \ purifier might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Stop sheading Skin? Dust is mostly Skin particals, all you can do is clean your room everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Ultrasonic humidifier might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Put cling film over every surface including the curtains and light bulbs and change it every six hours. Its the only way to be sure.

danniemcq wrote: »
    really energetic sex in bed will have the duvet creating a mini weather system that should blow all dust out previously opened window?

also how often to you vacuum the carpet?

that could be holding the dust that gets kicked up again.

However this is still better than wooden floor as when you try and vacuum/brush it the dust just rises and lands back down again whereas with vacuum it holds the dust till its sucked up.

I would hoover at least twice or more a week.

Burning the house down isn't an option. If anything, that's just cause more dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

*Imagines OP living in a tent on a beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Put cling film over every surface including the curtains and light bulbs and change it every six hours. Its the only way to be sure.

Also, perfect way to freak the hell out of any woman I might bring back to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yeah, I've absolutely no idea where I'm supposed to put this, evidently there isn't a cleaning forum (no, the Ladies Lounge doesn't count, before someone jumps in there, which, since this is AH, will invariably happen!).

My room gets extraordinarily dusty no matter how often I clean, hoover and leave my windows open. It really aggravates me and makes me sneeze like a mofo - and, for the record, whoever said that a sneeze was an 1/8 of an orgasm was a lying so-and-so. All I get after 8 consecutive sneezes is watery eyes and a headache.

So, any advice on how to tell the dust to bugger off and leave me alone? And not actually just shouting "Bugger off, dust, leave me alone!" at the carpet.

Get yourself a bubble, but don't play Trivial Pursuit with an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

jester77 wrote: »

HEPA would work, but make sure you get at least a Class 13. Good vacuum cleaners come with Class 13/14 these days.

I would hoover at least twice or more a week.

Burning the house down isn't an option. If anything, that's just cause more dust.

jesus....

well that puts me to shame and i don't have any dust really.

Maybe look into closing your window more. are you near a road or what is the room overlooking?

jesus....

well that puts me to shame and i don't have any dust really.

Maybe look into closing your window more. are you near a road or what is the room overlooking?

I always thought leaving your window open would attract less dust, not attract more. Then again, I've no idea why I thought leaving it open would help either ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When dusting your surfaces, first run your cloth under the tap and then give it a good wringing out. Works much better than a dry cloth or duster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Try a plugin IONIZER http://www.djclarke.co.uk/images/white-ionizer.gif,

I bought one many years ago, and I've never looked back, its great!

Many different makes & models to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

All I'm thinking about now is this!

I always thought leaving your window open would attract less dust, not attract more. Then again, I've no idea why I thought leaving it open would help either ..

well i know with my useless hayfever i have to close all windows in the house from June to August as dust/pollen will get in.

So if there is wind you will get bits coming in i'd assume. Especuially if you are beside a busy road with thermals from cars and the random wind flows of cars and lorrys passing.

If you want to leave the windows open do it when its cooler as most of the dust would stay low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Not opening the window only matters if you're allergic to pollen.

Replace the carpet with wooden floors OP. Hoover regularly and dust, as the purple tin advised with a slightly damp cloth. Your issue could be dust mites in your duvet/pillow/mattress. Suggest replacing these entirely and then buying hypoallergenic ones instead. Then buy hypoallergenic covers for the pillow/mattress.

And if none of that works start on the antihistamines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You're supposed to hoover your bedroom?

When the hell did this get decided?

also can't believe so many people are saying air purifiers
    In a small, poorly ventilated room, an indoor air purifier that produces even a few milligrams of ozone per hour can create an ozone level that exceeds public health standards, researchers at UC Irvine have found.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060509235740.htm

i know the article is a few years old but still

Not opening the window only matters if you're allergic to pollen.

Replace the carpet with wooden floors OP. Hoover regularly and dust, as the purple tin advised with a slightly damp cloth. Your issue could be dust mites in your duvet/pillow/mattress. Suggest replacing these entirely and then buying hypoallergenic ones instead. Then buy hypoallergenic covers for the pillow/mattress.

And if none of that works start on the antihistamines.

disagree with this,

as i said in an earlier post wooden floors are worse than carpets, carpets will hold in the dust till you hoover and with a wooden floor you are more than likely just moving the dust around.

unless you are going to mop the floor on a very regular basis stick with carpet

EDIT: link showing both sides of the argument

http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Can-Hardwood-Flooring-Make-You-Healthier.16353.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't get wooden floors OP, increases the risk of you fracturing your mickey by falling out of bed on to your pisshorn :(

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Depends, if it's outdoor dust coming in or indoor dust not getting out.
    If you live next to a road, quarry, just ploughed field you might need to put a dust screen on the window.
    Most indoor dust comes from skin, hair, clothing and paper, and outdoor dirt carried in on shoes etc. Good ventilation will help as will limiting outdoor clothing and laundry activity from 'living' areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

disagree with this,

as i said in an earlier post wooden floors are worse than carpets, carpets will hold in the dust till you hoover and with a wooden floor you are more than likely just moving the dust around.

unless you are going to mop the floor on a very regular basis stick with carpet

EDIT: link showing both sides of the argument

http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Can-Hardwood-Flooring-Make-You-Healthier.16353.html

Anyone with bad allergies always advised to get rid of the carpet.

Carpets much dirtier than wooden floors IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Have sex there once in a while. Prevents cobwebs on the undercarriage too.

Anyone with bad allergies always advised to get rid of the carpet.

Carpets much dirtier than wooden floors IMO.

have really bad hayfever had carpet in room, got ripped up for allergies and had the wooden floor, noticed an increase in dust in my room. diagnosed with athsma

Got carpet put down again and didn't need inhaler again. havam't used it since.

I dunno it just makes sense to me that the carpet will trap any floating dust whereas if it falls on wooden floors it will just end up being blown around the room.

* also i know that i may be different to other people so perhaps others find wooden floors better and that the athsma coming and going could be down to many factors but again its what i found.

and when i had to get tested for allergies later on with the prick test (no AH i'm not a prick before some smartarse asks) for nuts and seen everything i was allergic too he asked carpet or wooden floor in my bedroom and he advised carpet but my local GP said wooden floors were better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

have you a computer in your room? they are like dust magnets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a mosquito net in B&Q and put over the window this will keep most of it out.
    Can be cut to size and is affixed with velcro so you can easily remove it/reattach it.

I haven't done this myself but at 7 euro it's a cheap way to try.

AH->DIY

Advertisement