Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 day ban in Soccer for standing up to keyboard bullies

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭

I'm absolutely disgusted with this. For any Mods reading, please go to late last night on the Liverpool fc superthread where (I presume) the posts related to my ban are still up. Try follow from the start. I voiced opinions strongly, I always do, but the outright bullying that followed gobsmacked me. Of course I responded, to defend myself, and maybe under the 'charter' I am guilty, if so, I'll accept that, even though I don't particularly agree with it.

I've received a 7 day ban from soccer. Not only as a fan can I not post in the Liverpool thread, neither can I post in the Boards fantasy football thread.

What I want to bring up is the issue of bullying. The way I was rounded on and the Tribalistic nature of it all astounded me. All the more shocking because I've posted there fairly often and would hope I'm considered a semi-decent poster (and certainly not a troll). Obviously it wasn't everybody, but I'd like the Mods to take an extremely serious look at things, if I'm to get a ban for defending myself the way I did, then I want a ban for each and every person that unnecessarily rounded on me. I'd like to think you take the issue of bullying extremely seriously. And if I don't see some necessary action taken, I will be taking this grievance to a higher level

Regards,

m_m

P.S: Oh and i would like to add in that 'Kess' the Moderator was present (and posting in the meanwhile) pretty much all during this time. I don't know if he's a Soccer Mod or it's another Category, but regardless i find it astonishing as a Mod he kept his mouth shut in relation to what was going on in the thread, and did nothing nothing whatsoever to try and calm things down. Is this acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Kess73 wrote: »
    manual_man wrote: »
    I'm absolutely disgusted with this. For any Mods reading, please go to late last night on the Liverpool fc superthread where (I presume) the posts related to my ban are still up. Try follow from the start. I voiced opinions strongly, I always do, but the outright bullying that followed gobsmacked me. Of course I responded, to defend myself, and maybe under the 'charter' I am guilty, if so, I'll accept that, even though I don't particularly agree with it.

I've received a 7 day ban from soccer. Not only as a fan can I not post in the Liverpool thread, neither can I post in the Boards fantasy football thread.

What I want to bring up is the issue of bullying. The way I was rounded on and the Tribalistic nature of it all astounded me. All the more shocking because I've posted there fairly often and would hope I'm considered a semi-decent poster (and certainly not a troll). Obviously it wasn't everybody, but I'd like the Mods to take an extremely serious look at things, if I'm to get a ban for defending myself the way I did, then I want a ban for each and every person that unnecessarily rounded on me. I'd like to think you take the issue of bullying extremely seriously. And if I don't see some necessary action taken, I will be taking this grievance to a higher level

Regards,

m_m

P.S: Oh and i would like to add in that 'Kess' the Moderator was present (and posting in the meanwhile) pretty much all during this time. I don't know if he's a Soccer Mod or it's another Category, but regardless i find it astonishing as a Mod he kept his mouth shut in relation to what was going on in the thread, and did nothing nothing whatsoever to try and calm things down. Is this acceptable?

I am not a mod in the soccer forum and am just a regular poster there, and as such I have to abide by the same charter rules as anyone else. So basically what you are saying I should have done is back seat mod a petty arguement that I was not involved in, despite the fact that back seat modding is a punishable offence in the soccer forum.

If I were you I would look more to your own behaviour in the thread that night rather than trying to pass to buck to someone who was not involved in your petty rows and who is nothing more than a regular poster in that forum.

Btw you want a ban for everyone that argued with you that night, or rounded on you as you put it. But you have no problem rounding on me in here despite me not being involved in your arguement?

I'm not rounding on you. I simply pointed out that you were present and questioned if you should have done something about it. I was not aware what Category of Mod you are, nor was i aware what back seat modding is. I'm glad you cleared that up. I simply asked the question, i'm not 'rounding' on you. I've stated that i'll accept my ban, but try put yourself in my position, i was attacked from all sides for holding an opinion i was wholly entitled to, you were there so you should remember, the manner in which a number of posters decided to round on my and try 'bully' me into submission was beyond appalling, and it's not something i expected from that thread having posted there and followed the thread quite a bit recently. if Boards thinks this disgusting kind of bullying behaviour is acceptable, then fine there's not a whole lot i can do about it, but i wrote up this original post (as i believe i'm entitled to do as a member), because what happened the other night deeply upset me, and i feel it's important that i'm allowed air my views

Nice to see someone has taken the time to look at this. Not a single email to even acknowledge my complaint.

So thanks to whoever is supposed to look after these things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Did you contact the mod who banned you?

trout wrote: »
    Did you contact the mod who banned you?

Have since been in touch. The first thing i saw in the email stating i was banned for 7 days was the link to here (the dispute resolution section), i was a bit worked up about it so i didn't read the part after in the mail saying i should try to work it out with the Mod first. Have since explained this to the Mod, as well as pointing their attention to (this) thread. I have to say i wasn't overly impressed with the response. I'm not here to make enemies, but it's disappointed me that my complaint doesn't seem to have been taken seriously. All i got from the Mod was a couple of mails bringing to my attention the point about contacting the Mod first. I explained what i explained to you above, but since heard nothing back. I'm gonna forget about the whole thing, it's not worth gettin upset about, it just would have been nice to think this kind of thing was taken a bit more seriously, so just disappointed more than anythin else.

Advertisement