Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy easy breakfasts?

Options
  • 24-01-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Hello all!

So I have been keeping with my new year resolutions so far, one thing different a week for myself. Week one was give up smoking, week two was start jogging, week 3 focus on clearing bills faster and week 4 is change my diet.

Been doing this since week one on and off, but this week I am changing from not eating breakfast at all to having a decent breakfast every morning and one thing I am going to do is have a boiled egg or two with some brown bread with spinach maybe with baby tomatoes too, simples.

Anyone know if its ok to boil about 6 eggs on a Sunday night and leave them in the fridge to have each morning until friday or so or will they go a bit off?

And what do you guys have in the morning time that is healthy and real easy to put together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I have porridge alot of mornings made with skimmed milk and water and a banana sliced on top or some dried fruit. I soak the porridge the night before and it only takes a couple of minutes in the morning. You can also get microwaveable packs so whatever suits you best.

I have a boiled egg with toasted rye bread other mornings, pretty quick and easy too. I pop the egg on to boil while I'm getting dressed and it's good to go by the time I get back down.

On weekends I'll have a couple of grilled rashers with grilled tomatoes and a scrambled/poached/fried egg.

I think the eggs would keep okay or you could always just do a couple the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Green monster smoothie, soy/rice/almond milk, spinach, banana, blueberries, almond butter and the Aldi linseed, sunflower, goji berry mix. Blend till smooth then add some ice and blend again, 3 of your 5 a day plus protein and some good fats before you leave the house in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If I had a blender I would totally do that! But sadly I dont, so maybe in the future.

Ah porridge, never really got into it myself. Friend of mine is trying to get me to eat it too, but he mixes in walnuts or, something sweet with it also.

Thanks for the tips guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Try to give the porridge a go. I used to absolutely hate it but now I really look forward to it in the mornings.

You could also try making your own museli, 160g Jumbo porridge oats, 35g mixed dried fruit and 25g mixed chopped nuts. You can mix up a batch and then it's in the press in an air-tight container when you want to eat it.

So I had boiled eggs on wholemeal bread with spinach and rocket and baby tomatoes with some juice! YUM!!!! Didnt want it to end lol. Totally having this again tomorrow! Only thing, boilded and pealed the eggs this morning, and felt very delayed even though I was up earlier than ususal, so will boil the eggs tonight instead, its all trial and error at the moment.

Yeah I dont really mind porridge, have it in the press at home for sat mornings and stuff, but, mah, just not my thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The egg and brown bread combo sounds v nice. With the side salad and juice, you are getting a great balance of nutrients. Can't fault it.

I usually have a yogurt followed by banana on a lovely seeded brown bread that supervalu do. Its quick and easy.

I always find breakfast a hard one to call. It seems only some foods are socially acceptable. At the weekends, I could have anything from soup to mashed spuds first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Only thing, boilded and pealed the eggs this morning, and felt very delayed even though I was up earlier than ususal, so will boil the eggs tonight instead, its all trial and error at the moment.

If you find that is taking too much time, you should try pickup some of these you can pour your egg into it and cook it in the microwave takes <1 minute. Similar ones on amazon

I'm not sure where sells them now, but I got some a couple of years ago in Dunnes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I am a porridge convert. The apple and raisin one is delicious - thats coming from someone who couldnt even look at gloop without gagging.

I put a blueberry compote in mine as well if I fancy a treat. Also use the oats in smoothies if running late. Gives it an malty kick.

If you find that is taking too much time, you should try pickup some of these you can pour your egg into it and cook it in the microwave takes <1 minute. Similar ones on amazon

I'm not sure where sells them now, but I got some a couple of years ago in Dunnes.

Ah yes, I remember my mother had a few of these in the house in the 90's. Handy little yokes, but I think I will be ok. Boiled 2 eggs last night, left them in the fridge and the shell came off much easier this morning than it did yesterday, cut it up and was grand. Want to get a really good egg slicer thingy I think, less messy.

Really enjoying this egg spinach/rocket tomatoe on the wholemeal bread!
    But i fear I will get bored of this soon, so will start to look for other recipies to try in the morning time soon.

Still hungry by 10am, but think my tummy is just getting used to having something in it so early in the morning as apposed to nothing for the past 15 years.
    livinsane wrote: »
    The egg and brown bread combo sounds v nice. With the side salad and juice, you are getting a great balance of nutrients. Can't fault it.

I usually have a yogurt followed by banana on a lovely seeded brown bread that supervalu do. Its quick and easy.

I always find breakfast a hard one to call. It seems only some foods are socially acceptable. At the weekends, I could have anything from soup to mashed spuds first thing in the morning.

Weirdo! Lol.

I guess you can eat anything in the morning tbh. What would you have with the spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A small microwaveable bowl will do the exact same job
    Want to get a really good egg slicer thingy I think, less messy.
    These ones are pretty common
    strawberry-mushroom-and-egg-slicer.jpg

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

These ones are pretty common
    strawberry-mushroom-and-egg-slicer.jpg

Oh! Where would I get one of them? I've only seen the weak wired ones in shops that just smush the egg instead of cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Tim Ferris in his "Four Hour Body" recommends protein within 30 minutes of waking for weight loss.

I am doing a high protein low carb thing at the moment.

Eggs!

Crack two or three eggs inna bowl, knob of butter (Irish Pasture Fed Vitaminised Butter according to Tim Ferriss!) and nuke for 30 seconds.

Depending on your nuker, whip with a fork and nuke for another 30 seconds.

Take out and whip again, judge the scrambledness and nuke again (mine are done in another 15 seconds)

Take 'em out, whip and add some butter, salt and pepper to taste.

High protein and good fats in under two minutes, off to work like a Hero! :D

Get some Coconut Oil in there for good fat, no bread/toast. If hungry add eggs!

I am eating a half dozen eggs a day now, and have dropped a stone in three weeks.

Whole eggs, no whites or ****e, bit of butter yea... get 'em in ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BaBaBluesheep

I love the flavahans seedy micro porridge with semi-skimmed milk and a blob of honey/maple syrup/jam/cinnamon.Takes 3mins to put together(30 secs spent locating bowl/spoon/sachet o'porridge/milk..I use a little more milk than the pack suggests and then you can't just dive in to it..needs to cool for around 5mins.I was away recently and found myself looking forward to coming back so I could have my usual breakfast(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Oh! Where would I get one of them? I've only seen the weak wired ones in shops that just smush the egg instead of cutting it.

Howards Storage world in Carrickmines sell these and lots of other good quality kitchen stuff.

BTW, Dont bring your CC if you are sucker for buying gadgets, though. Dangerous shop.

Advertisement