Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very sad to hear but unfortunately not surprising. As you say, people go out there with not a care in the world and with no knowledge of the waters yet Scarborough and, in particular, Trigg are dodgy spots a lot of the time.

Wonder was he between the flags as the lifeguards are usually well aware of any rips that are about.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

25 bugger
    • To avoid rip currents, always swim between the red and yellow flags.
    • If you need help; stay calm, float, and raise an arm to attract attention.
    • To escape a rip, swim parallel to the beach.
    • Always conserve your energy, the waves can assist you back to the beach.

From http://www.ripcurrents.com.au/

RIP

Look after your mates out there lads

Article has been updated -
    He was swimming in front of a “no swimming sign” which was erected at 8am, 100m south of the flags.

FFS, why put yourself at risk like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

They did pull 150 people out yesterday, including one of their lifesavers. I was swimming there the previous evening when the swell was getting going and the rip was strong then. Sad to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FFS, why put yourself at risk like that?
    I don't think people really appreciate how big the risk is, despite the signage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Jagera wrote: »
    I don't think people really appreciate how big the risk is, despite the signage.

And that risk is quite high for people with little or no knowledge of surf swimming.
    I used to find it funny at the start looking at people getting trashed about and not a clue what to do, but was nearly killed myself by a bloke who got caught out. I went to help him he tried to pull me under he was in that much of a panic. In the end i left him and a Aussie kid had to give him his board to hold on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

So sad, a parents every worst nightmare

When I go to perth I don't think I'm going to do anything more than go paddling.. the beaches seem pretty lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I remember renting a surfboard up around Lancelin/Cervantes. I would have been past beginners level, and I got pummeled by the waves. I just remember the power of them.
    You would see as big in Ireland sometimes, but any of the ones in Ireland I experienced (not surfing, but getting bashed by), didn't seem to have the same power as the ones in Aus....

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

What everyone needs to know coming here is STAY BETWEEN THE FECKIN FLAGS , ask about the water before you go swimming . The lifegaurds or locals will tell you what you need to look out for . Dont swim where there are no flags r lifegaurds .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

When I go to perth I don't think I'm going to do anything more than go paddling.. the beaches seem pretty lethal[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, even paddling can be risky. One minute you are up to your knees and the next you are submerged under a wave.
    If you do come to Perth, try Mettam's Pool or Hammersley Pool.
    There is a reef off shore that blocks most of the massive surf.
    Or Cottesloe right near the pier is quite calm as well.
    These are the only beaches where I will go into the water.
    Despite living 5 minutes from Scarborough I rarely go there- the surf scares me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I second Cottesloe, reliably calmer than most other beachs. Plus there's far greater visability if someone does get in trouble.

So sad, a parents every worst nightmare

When I go to perth I don't think I'm going to do anything more than go paddling.. the beaches seem pretty lethal

They aren't really that lethal, just read the signs and look for the flags and you'll be fine. Same as anywhere else really.

There's cautious and then there's missing out on a good swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Port Beach, in North Fremantle, is usually pretty calm.

All the beaches south of Fremantle, down towards Rockingham, are usually very calm. That stretch of the coast is well sheltered by Garden Island, and waves are often no more than biggish ripples. You can bring your five-year-old there without a worry.

But if you're swimming on beaches north of Cottlesloe:

1. Stay between the flags. In the hundred-year history of surf lifesaving, nobody has ever been lost swimming between the flags, except through heart attack or some similar cause.

2. Swim between the flags. Seriously.

3. SWIM BETWEEN THE F*CKING FLAGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

We usually go to Leighton but the sea can get rough there too. I had a bad dunk there when I was heavily pregnant and I was only in waist high.

According to the West Australian the person who drowned couldn't swim so I wouldn't imagine he would have been out further than chest height really.

Every year there are spinal injuries from the surf. It is just not worth taking a risk for.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    They aren't really that lethal, just read the signs and look for the flags and you'll be fine. Same as anywhere else really.

There's cautious and then there's missing out on a good swim.

True.
    And scarborough can be calm most of the time too, easy to paddle with the odd half metre wave in the right place.

Advertisement