Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

A double going on Wednesday. €4.15/kg for bullocks and €4.25 heifers. Was told by agent that price will be pulled by Friday. Wether that's true or not we are loading up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

A double going on Wednesday. €4.15/kg for bullocks and €4.25 heifers. Was told by agent that price will be pulled by Friday. Wether that's true or not we are loading up.
    A lad I know was offered 4.35 for heifers from some place down the country, I told him to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Bro in law got 4.30 (all in) heifers and 4.25 bullocks all HE cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bit of sunshine now along with the Euro '16 on tv will keep the bbqs fired up. Nothing like a juicy angus burger and a few bottles of carlsberg. Probably.:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any harm to ask where this is?

If anybody has bulls u24 mths now is a great time to get them away. Last of mine went last week, happy enough this year. I'm not expecting miracles next year, but the aim is to get them all gone u16 mths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

blue5000 wrote: »
    If anybody has bulls u24 mths now is a great time to get them away. Last of mine went last week, happy enough this year. I'm not expecting miracles next year, but the aim is to get them all gone u16 mths.

What sort of prices did you make Blue?

kk.man wrote: »
    Bro in law got 4.30 (all in) heifers and 4.25 bullocks all HE cattle.

Will he get the HE bonus on top of this price?

MfMan wrote: »
    Any harm to ask where this is?

Dawn Charleville - quite a few prerequisites to get this price tho.

• Advertisement

What sort of prices did you make Blue?
    PM sent, between 390-405 this month, 3.80 earlier on for a light, lame bull.

Prices and weights of cattle sent off. All cattle only feed grass or grass silage while on this farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Prices and weights of cattle sent off. All cattle only feed grass or grass silage while on this farm.

Do u need a drinking buddy for the weekend ???,id say they left a nice margin reared as u described above

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Do u need a drinking buddy for the weekend ???,id say they left a nice margin reared as u described above

Come on Mahoney. Off to France with us for the Ireland game. My treat. ..... and back to the real world now.
    Yeah, they left a good-ish margin, but replacement cattle were crazy price so far this year. Feed the beef animal the same type of grass as a milking cow and they'll finish off grass..... No meal.

Come on Mahoney. Off to France with us for the Ireland game. My treat. ..... and back to the real world now.
    Yeah, they left a good-ish margin, but replacement cattle were crazy price so far this year. Feed the beef animal the same type of grass as a milking cow and they'll finish off grass..... No meal.

Sure I'm only a poor dairy farmer with the Arse falling out of my trousers ,I'll hardly have the price of the TVs licence to watch the soccer on the telly ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

What age were they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Darragh, Will u follow up on the price cut on the second heifer that had fat score 5?
    Great cattle you had.

Darragh, Will u follow up on the price cut on the second heifer that had fat score 5?
    Great cattle you had.

I won't follow up. But my dad will, he has a better way about him when dealing with the f****rs in the factory. There are 3 to be followed up on and I'd expect some recourse

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    What age were they

Under 30 months

Thanks for sharing dara, don't mind them dairy begrudgers:pac: Any idea why the ch were picked out? I reckon you did well, great prices. Are you getting angus bonus?

• Advertisement

Thanks for sharing dara, don't mind them dairy begrudgers:pac: Any idea why the ch were picked out? I reckon you did well, great prices. Are you getting angus bonus?

We were lucky. Right place at the right time and with cattle ready (well most of them anyway). Have no idea why the CH were marked

Yeah, angus bonus. Agent asked if we had any more ready, had to be a minimum of 10..... but €4.00. Don't really have that amout fit so we passed. He said they'll be back to €3.90 - if that true, price if ****ed for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Heard on the grapevine agents are actively looking for cattle this afternoon. Quoting lower price and not moving off it......at present. Middle/end of next week will tell a story. Agents are saying not a lot of cattle out there but procurement managers trying to hold lower quote's. There was a flush of cattle for last two weeks last of shed cattle and cows that were culled. Next week will tell a story I think.

Slava Ukrainii

Heard on the grapevine agents are actively looking for cattle this afternoon. Quoting lower price and not moving off it......at present. Middle/end of next week will tell a story. Agents are saying not a lot of cattle out there but procurement managers trying to hold lower quote's. There was a flush of cattle for last two weeks last of shed cattle and cows that were culled. Next week will tell a story I think.

Mart prices are fairly strong, feedlots have emptied out. My guess is lg wants to buy cheaper cattle in the marts, best way to knock down the mart price is to drop the slaughter price, just my 2 15 cents.

Mart prices are fairly strong, feedlots have emptied out. My guess is lg wants to buy cheaper cattle in the marts, best way to knock down the mart price is to drop the slaughter price, just my 2 15 cents.

I think you may be right. This may be a play to fill feedlots with heavier young (2015) cattle to fill a gap in Sept/Oct. They would allow them to control the market from now to Christmas and after than the flush of cattle will be there for 2017/2018. In a way they could play into exporter's hands who may looking for late 2015 and early 2016 cattle for Turkey.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

I just wanted to touch on your point about feeding dairy cow quality grass to beef animals, do you find you have a big fertilizer bill to keep this quality of grass or does it work out a lot cheaper than meal feeding on average grass, also does it require a lot of grassland management and topping to keep this level of quality and do you find they get very spoiled wanting grass every time you walk into the field. Do a lot of people here with suckler herds keep grass of this quality in front of their cows. I know people who do sucklers and dairy and their sucklers follow around after the milking cows. Always felt myself in order to achieve good weanling you needed to keep good quality grass in front of them at all times but it’s also important to graze fields don’t tight in order to maintain quality, so it’s a bit of a balancing act. What do people think.

Irish Beef wrote: »
    I just wanted to touch on your point about feeding dairy cow quality grass to beef animals, do you find you have a big fertilizer bill to keep this quality of grass or does it work out a lot cheaper than meal feeding on average grass, also does it require a lot of grassland management and topping to keep this level of quality and do you find they get very spoiled wanting grass every time you walk into the field. Do a lot of people here with suckler herds keep grass of this quality in front of their cows. I know people who do sucklers and dairy and their sucklers follow around after the milking cows. Always felt myself in order to achieve good weanling you needed to keep good quality grass in front of them at all times but it’s also important to graze fields don’t tight in order to maintain quality, so it’s a bit of a balancing act. What do people think.

In our system, the mower is probably the most important implement we have. If grass goes stemmy or strong, it has to be taken out for bales. If grass is going to be in tight supply, we sometimes have to feed grass that isnt perfect, but it has to be topped after. Usually each group of bullock only gets 3 to 4 days grass at a time. Reels and pig tails are in constant use.
    It takes good grassland management and time. But I'll admit, my dad does most of it. Fertiliser usage is down (around 60% to 65%) once we changed to baling suplus paddocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Darragh, what kind of kill out % did you get off grass only. Did you weigh the cattle before hand? I have a load to go this week and have two agents on 4 even. Numbers are still tight so I will see tomorrow.

locha wrote: »
    Darragh, what kind of kill out % did you get off grass only. Did you weigh the cattle before hand? I have a load to go this week and have two agents on 4 even. Numbers are still tight so I will see tomorrow.

Our agent was asking had we any more ready that would be rounded up by tomorrow morning, he was offering €4.00 with the advise that they'd be €3.90 by the end of the week. (Hard to know what to believe)
    We didn't have anything really ready so had to pass.
    My dad would weight 5 or 6 of them (1 or 2 from each breed). I'll have to ask him about kill out %

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Factory agent on the phone to me last night quoting 3:90 base for steers that i have ready to go.
    Guess the effects of the Brexit vote are starting to hit home.

• Advertisement

dryan wrote: »
    Factory agent on the phone to me last night quoting 3:90 base for steers that i have ready to go.

Factory's are trying to pull prices and paying through the nose in the marts for heavy cattle. It is using Brexit as an excuse If enough hold prices will go up if poo many sell prices will go down. TBH it is up to ourselves.

Did he ring out of the blue or had you contacted him. If he rang out of the blue I have hung up on him.

Slava Ukrainii

That's what he wants u to think in the hope you'll soft sell to him .id of hung up and tell him go away and think about it .factory agents still paying big bucks for finished and short keep cattle ,what does that tell u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That's what he wants u to think in the hope you'll soft sell to him .id of hung up and tell him go away and think about it .factory agents still paying big bucks for finished and short keep cattle ,what does that tell u

Trade is back for heavy cattle everywhere.. If you have cattle fit sell them. If they are not don't.

It's not shares in stock market you are trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Whats the trade for cull bulls at the moment like? How much could I expect to get for a 900kg CH Bull 7 years old?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Trade is back for heavy cattle everywhere.. If you have cattle fit sell them. If they are not don't.

It's not shares in stock market you are trading.

Not what I'm hearing anyway from a few friends I have at that game and covering 3/4 marts a week .maby ur buying forclarry though!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

I have 4 base for a load on Friday. Steers U/A. They are anxious but agents are talking them down hard.

• Advertisement

I have 4 base for a load on Friday. Steers U/A. They are anxious but agents are talking them down hard.

They are still buying them but anxious is stretching the truth. Dig in lads. Sell hard. You might get 3.80 next week.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭nhg

Have a quote for €3.90 for finished FR steers, were to go yesterday evening to Waterford now not going until next week - oldest one not 30 mths until 17/7 so 2 weeks to play with....

Rang a different agent and he quoted me this weeks prices - 4 base - west midlands..
    Couldnt give me a quote for next week, he will ring me saturday with one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

nhg wrote: »
    Have a quote for €3.90 for finished FR steers, were to go yesterday evening to Waterford now not going until next week - oldest one not 30 mths until 17/7 so 2 weeks to play with....

Flat price?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I'd be anxious as well if I was an underage steer with a lorry on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Anyone get quotes in Tipp area rang Cahir, Nenagh and Roscrea all not quoting for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Did you try dawn in rathdowney? The kill has gone up this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Worth remembering too that even though the value of Sterling has gone down, the UK outlets still have to source their beef. It's not like we are gone dear compared to everyone else. We (as in all other countries) have all gone dear together, and Irish Beef is still the cheapest in Europe, if you know what I mean.
    The UK stores still have to fill their shelves and I think they would still rather source from Ireland than go outside the EU.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

barnaman wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes in Tipp area rang Cahir, Nenagh and Roscrea all not quoting for next week.

Try them again this afternoon around 4pm;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The brexit won't make much difference to the factorys, but the will use it to talk down price. There's every chance that it will work for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Its cull suckler cows trying to offload; will head to the mart with them if not get them in. Not sure brexit seems sterling/euro is more part of it factories reckon will go lower so holding quotes. So lad who supplies Roscrea told me. But who knows.

Sterling went to 83 against the euro this morning as opposed to 77 last Wednesday week. That doesn't do the processers any good at all but as usual it whips straight down the wire to the farmer. I would not be surprised to hear 3.80 quoted next week.

i squeezed 3.95 base for steers out of one agent for next week - midlands, earlier in the week he was quoting me 3.90.

Second agent ringing me on saturday with a price - west midlands.

will decide then what to go with

i squeezed 3.95 base for steers out of one agent for next week - midlands, earlier in the week he was quoting me 3.90.

Second agent ringing me on saturday with a price - west midlands.

will decide then what to go with

Go with the one that you are happy with grades.. There's an agent here on the south east that buys for a couple of Midlands plants.

Oh top price ,, free Lorry ,,

and then the cattle kill out and grade like Mongolian donkeys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Willfarman wrote: »
    Go with the one that you are happy with grades.. There's an agent here on the south east that buys for a couple of Midlands plants.

Oh top price ,, free Lorry ,,

and then the cattle kill out and grade like Mongolian donkeys!

oh yes i know him, a true gent :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement