Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Got 3.34 for r grade cow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Wonder will they try pull the price tomorrow (Friday)?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Agent here said €3.80/kg for steers till Friday. Can't tell me if it'll hold for monday or it'll be back to €3.75

Most likely 3.75 tho

Agent here said €3.80/kg for steers till Friday. Can't tell me if it'll hold for monday or it'll be back to €3.75

Most likely 3.75 tho

Ya I couldn't get a definite price today either for next week. Have you a load to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Prices only go one direction this time of year I'm afraid.

Cattle Numbers are very tight. Unlike last year there will not be a lot of 2015 cattle coming off grass fit for slaughter to help fill the gap. Processors had hoped this would be the case. Not saying they will go up but do not see any significent price drop either.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

3.85 base for heifers in kepak yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cattle Numbers are very tight. Unlike last year there will not be a lot of 2015 cattle coming off grass fit for slaughter to help fill the gap. Processors had hoped this would be the case. Not saying they will go up but do not see any significent price drop either.

This year I am inclined to agree with you bass. I think the pull will come as always now as grass and ground head for Autumn but this will be reversed as quick. U.K. Market is firm and even strengthening slightly. Good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Any fear a dairy cull could supply those numbers to drop the price. Advice at our group seems to be offload the cull now as better price may be obtained as opposed to when the usual flush comes which may see them finished earlier than normal?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Any fear a dairy cull could supply those numbers to drop the price. Advice at our group seems to be offload the cull now as better price may be obtained as opposed to when the usual flush comes which may see them finished earlier than normal?

A strong dairy cull now would benefit everyone (beef and dairy farmers) down the road. Happened in the states a few years back, but it takes a long time for numbers to re-build, 4 years maybe. There's an awful lot of beef calves to come from the dairy herd next year, big herd near here and all beef bulls running with cows, no ai.

Mooooo wrote: »

A cull of dairy cows is weather dependent and unlikely to happen pre November. Most dairy farmers will continue to milk these cows as long as grass grows as she would be producing 3+ euro/day of milk. While some cows are fairly fit exiting the parlour not all culls are.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭QA1

Rang my 2agents this morning 1abp 3.75 for bullocks on grid full for this week and next week he said price will be 3.70 he reckons for next week and Fridays cattle this week dawn same 3.75 base full for this week .I have none going over age for 3 or4 weeks so going to leave them thrive away

QA1 wrote: »
    Rang my 2agents this morning 1abp 3.75 for bullocks on grid full for this week and next week he said price will be 3.70 he reckons for next week and Fridays cattle this week dawn same 3.75 base full for this week .I have none going over age for 3 or4 weeks so going to leave them thrive away

Find it hard to believe that any factory is full for next two weeks. I know that with rain for last two weeks there might be some lads on wetter ground offloading cattle but hard to see a glut of cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

QA1 wrote: »
    Find it hard to believe that any factory is full for next two weeks. I know that with rain for last two weeks there might be some lads on wetter ground offloading cattle but hard to see a glut of cattle.

I honestly think it's cash flow, the whole country is waiting for 16th Oct. Agents know this too.
    Other possibility is there's good value in the marts, fr bull weanlings are 3 for a thousand, these would get a good bit of weight up on grass before housing and won't poach the place either.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I honestly think it's cash flow, the whole country is waiting for 16th Oct. Agents know this too.
    Other possibility is there's good value in the marts, fr bull weanlings are 3 for a thousand, these would get a good bit of weight up on grass before housing and won't poach the place either.

Why 16th october

Why 16th october

SFP. However I think it effect is over rated when you look at the price of store at present

Slava Ukrainii

Ya I couldn't get a definite price today either for next week. Have you a load to go?

Have about 15 to go. Leaving it up to my dad as I'm flat out with other work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Why 16th october

Tis easy known its not going into your bank account!😉

Tis easy known its not going into your bank account!😉

Ya smart hoor

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Some of them are cutting back on the number of days that they're killing next week, the cynic in me says that they're trying to create a bit of a backlog amongst suppliers.....and hey presto - a price cut.

tatoo wrote: »
    Some of them are cutting back on the number of days that they're killing next week, the cynic in me says that they're trying to create a bit of a backlog amongst suppliers.....and hey presto - a price cut.

The ploughing is the week after next, they always struggle to get cattle that week. it might just be a case what we have we hold.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

The factories know exactly the number of cattle coming near 30 months so they price with that in mind. Totally wrong and screwing the farmer. First ones here not over 30 months till 25th September so going to chance holding them till then and hopefully it will rise from 3.75 which in being quoted now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Salrub wrote: »
    The factories know exactly the number of cattle coming near 30 months so they price with that in mind. Totally wrong and screwing the farmer. First ones here not over 30 months till 25th September so going to chance holding them till then and hopefully it will rise from 3.75 which in being quoted now

It is the same story every year,the problem is the price could drop to 3.70 as easy ,the majority of dairy bred stock being born around end of march into april is no help as well as the weather to also contend with

cute geoge wrote: »
    It is the same story every year,the problem is the price could drop to 3.70 as easy ,the majority of dairy bred stock being born around end of march into april is no help as well as the weather to also contend with

If it goes down to 3.70 we are all up the creek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I've been selling a few as they come fit.

Last bunch are getting a bit of meal and will try hold them till Nov.

As bad as 3.70 /80 is of grass it has to be better than 4 or even 4.25 out of shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

mf240 wrote: »
    I've been selling a few as they come fit.

Last bunch are getting a bit of meal and will try hold them till Nov.

As bad as 3.70 /80 is of grass it has to be better than 4 or even 4.25 out of shed.
    Would not be well up on the economics of fattening but know 3.80 is piss poor as alot of stock wont grade and price is alot lower ,but how do you figure it is better then 4 out of the shed.
    And the big question will lads see €4 for cattle out the shed next year

http://www.icbf.com/?p=6243

Fair spike for 30 months down the track from feb-apr 2015. By my rough pack of fags calculations that is 900k, 450k males from the dairy herd + 450k from the beef herd, give or take what beef heifers go in calf and what goes as u16 months or gets exported. Makes the 30k a week kill look very small. But the beef heifers going in calf will be balanced by culls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

http://www.icbf.com/?p=6243

Fair spike for 30 months down the track from feb-apr this year. By my rough pack of fags calculations that is 900k, 450k males from the dairy herd + 450k from the beef herd, give or take what beef heifers go in calf and what goes as u16 months or gets exported. Makes the 30k a week kill look very small. But the beef heifers going in calf will be balanced by culls.

Going by that from July on next year will be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Robson99 wrote: »

Same was said 12mts ago!

Same was said 12mts ago!

I read you and raise you by 87,000

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/over-87000-extra-dairy-calves-born-so-far-this-spring/#

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »

It will be a disaster from much earlier than July. I think the figures are that there are 200K more cattle in 2015 than in 2014. That is equivilent to 4K cattle/week. The figures above show it higher than that. Cattle do not magically appear or dissappear. Very little 2015 cattle exported. A lot of cattle not exported thsi year or last. Some lads thing that Turkey will solve the problem. Like Croker I doubt it. There is no way that 4-5K cattle/week will be exported.

Earlier in the year I taught that 3.5/kg was a good guess at a base for most of next year. Now I am not that optimistic. The real issue is who will finish cattle this winter. Loads of lads myself included will leave the shed empty. Putting numbers through with cheap grain will not be the answer to making a profit.

Same was said 12mts ago!

No anyone looking at the figures would have said from September/October depending on throughput. At present it looks like cattle will be tight until January.

Slava Ukrainii

3.75 this week in most places so far. Hard to know what next week will be like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Talking to agent the other day and reckoned blks could hit 3.70 but won't be for long though

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

simx wrote: »
    Talking to agent the other day and reckoned blks could hit 3.70 but won't be for long though

Ranging between 3.70 per kilo and being told that they don't want cattle in this country.

Sent off 17 yesterday. 10 bullocks at €3.80/kg and 7 heifers at €3.90/kg. Price was dropping if they were loaded this morning
    Only 4 left now, and they'll be fed at grass and go to the factory before housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Beef price protest in Tullamore tomorrow, what have the factories done now........gonna be a long winter for some!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

rangler1 wrote: »
    Beef price protest in Tullamore tomorrow, what have the factories done now........gonna be a long winter for some!!!!!!

No real justification for a price cut only proves they can do do as they wish if numbers rise even minimally. and that the cartel is in full control. Sterling strengthened in recent weeks as did U.K. Beef price.

Willfarman wrote: »
    No real justification for a price cut only proves they can do do as they wish if numbers rise even minimally. and that the cartel is in full control. Sterling strengthened in recent weeks as did U.K. Beef price.

Massive difference between uk beef price and price here. We seem to always get the raw deal over here anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quotes for bullocks for next week? Talk of another 5c cut to 3.70. Would leave o grade cattle fairly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/opinion-days-bringing-farmers-streets-protest/

There you are !!!!! all we had to do was withdraw supplies....yeah right.
    That'd happen alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

talking to an Liffey Meats agent he said getting cut to €3,70 soon. Booked 10 heifers in at €3.85

• Advertisement

barnaman wrote: »
    talking to an Liffey Meats agent he said getting cut to €3,70 soon. Booked 10 heifers in at €3.85

Was told local factory is paying 3.8/kg for next week...... unfortunately they are full for the week. Squeezed in an AA bullock's and a HEX going over 30 months of age in next 10 days. Would have like to get 6-8 away.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

yeah its a killer and weanlings making more nearly than finished cattle. I am going to read the snail farming thread and come up with the angle of farming slugs.

rangler1 wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/opinion-days-bringing-farmers-streets-protest/

There you are !!!!! all we had to do was withdraw supplies....yeah right.
    That'd happen alright

TBH at present they are right. Any slow up in cattle going to factory's will really lift prices. Finished cattle quite scarce. Agriland's suggestion is as good as trying to get any satisfaction by protesting out supermarkets. We only kill 10% of our cattle for Irish Market. Do the supermarkets handle 60% of that 10%. So trying to rise prices being paid to us by Larry and co by protesting outside Supermarkets in Ireland will encourage Sainberry and Asda to put pressure on Larry to rise prices.

On Larry I wonder is he involved to any great extent any longer. Somehow by the suttle change in direction over last two year I wonder has senior management and his son the main input at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TBH at present they are right. Any slow up in cattle going to factory's will really lift prices. Finished cattle quite scarce. Agriland's suggestion is as good as trying to get any satisfaction by protesting out supermarkets. We only kill 10% of our cattle for Irish Market. Do the supermarkets handle 60% of that 10%. So trying to rise prices being paid to us by Larry and co by protesting outside Supermarkets in Ireland will encourage Sainberry and Asda to put pressure on Larry to rise prices.

On Larry I wonder is he involved to any great extent any longer. Somehow by the suttle change in direction over last two year I wonder has senior management and his son the main input at present.
    The tail is now wagging the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Next week local is booked out and killing for 5 days, that didn't happen for the last two years. Allot of heavy cattle being flung in. Finding it hard to see any lift in price from now to Christmas.

I reckon it's the last few 30 month cattle from Spring 2014.

Anyone with any up to date quotes for steers? Any sign of price rising next week or staying the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

2000 fat bull's making there way to Turkey tonight.
    1st of many hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

2000 fat bull's making there way to Turkey tonight.
    1st of many hopefully
    Should give a lift to trade....what weight/ age limit is on them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

U grade continentals around 600kg each

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement