Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

restive wrote: »
    U grade continentals around 600kg each

Just a tester load. Weanlings on next one

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Any change in steer prices ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

tatoo wrote: »
    Any change in steer prices ?

Nothing yet. Still only 3.70 around here which is a disgrace really. I wonder is there any sign of them rising a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

No, to many cattle flowing into the factory's at the moment and looks that way for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

3.70 Base on offer for steers here in Midlands. Anything better out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

dryan wrote: »
    3.70 Base on offer for steers here in Midlands. Anything better out there?

€3.75 dawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

€3.75 dawn

I'm hearing 3.65 for ballyhaunis on monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

F**k the c**ts. And double f**k them.

Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Lot of lads in mart spouting that price alright is that where u heard it? Sterling is fecking us up.

• Advertisement

Lot of lads in mart spouting that price alright is that where u heard it? Sterling is fecking us up.

An agent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

Greatest shower of c***ts ever. Have lost whatever respect I had for the factories now. When you compare the price for similar animal over in England

An agent

Yup. Was talking to another lad last night and he said the same fella was happy out saying it!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon it is to try encourage winter finishers to go out and buy a few when the bfp lands next week. Larry and the big boys don't want to be left finishing ALL the cattle for the winter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Who2

blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon it is to try encourage winter finishers to go out and buy a few when the bfp lands next week. Larry and the big boys don't want to be left finishing ALL the cattle for the winter.

I think it might have had the opposite effect

He also said that's the bottom . the dry weather is helping things and will ensure a more even supply of cattle rather than these big busts of 35k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It'll take another few boatloads of cattle to turkey to sort next years trade out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

€3.65 price heard from a couple of agents and Bord Bia price and IMO heading to €3.60. Sterling making Irish beef expensive also its expensive compared to lots of EU countries.

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/eucountries.aspx?country=Czech
    http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/eucountries.aspx?country=Belgium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

barnaman wrote: »

Irish beef was always well priced compared with europe, used to amaze me on here the way posters blamed factories, ifa , the cat, for poor prices when all meat buyers had to do was buy beef from europe in stead of Ireland.
    The week i was in france last year, our price was 30c ahead of theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I killed an overage friesian today in Nepal. Only got docked 5cents rather than the usual 10 cents. Base 3.65.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

How much was the haulage to Nepal?

• Advertisement

I think he meant kepak (Athleague). Bloody spell check!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Sorry spell checker

I killed an overage friesian today in Nepal. Only got docked 5cents rather than the usual 10 cents. Base 3.65.

They're talking of 3.60 next week, we might be better off going to Nepal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Prices are Catmandu at the moment

I'll get me coat

Anyone have any update on Steer factory prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone have any update on Steer factory prices?

Talking to agent an hour ago who I want to look at a few I have. Talking about 3.70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Talking to agent an hour ago who I want to look at a few I have. Talking about 3.70

I suspect taht cattle prices will eise over next 15 days yhen hold as white meat takes over until the week before Christmass. Not a lot of cattle were put inside during Sept/Oct so it could be good over from Christmas to late January. Hard to know yet though.

Slava Ukrainii

How long more will cattle be killed off grass? There's still a few around here anyway. I reckon the weak sterling is a big factor this autumn, S cattle are probably no longer being killed up north.

I suspect taht cattle prices will eise over next 15 days yhen hold as white meat takes over until the week before Christmass. Not a lot of cattle were put inside during Sept/Oct so it could be good over from Christmas to late January. Hard to know yet though.

Most factories have their own cattle for December, there hasn't been a decent price rise in Deceber in a while

rangler1 wrote: »
    Most factories have their own cattle for December, there hasn't been a decent price rise in Deceber in a while

With the exception of last year and 2013 always got a good price rise Christmas week. Generally factory's only chug along with what they get the weeks before Christmas. Cattle killed Christmas week are for the new year when red meat is back on the plate. Last year loads of lads put in cattle in September it did not happen this year. In 2013 Larry and co filled there sheds of Herefords and killed them for December and early January. It ruined the Bull trade.

Every year is different but cattle prices rising at present which augars good for Christmas week and January

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

3.65 is as much as I've heard of.

With the exception of last year and 2013 always got a good price rise Christmas week. Generally factory's only chug along with what they get the weeks before Christmas. Cattle killed Christmas week are for the new year when red meat is back on the plate. Last year loads of lads put in cattle in September it did not happen this year. In 2013 Larry and co filled there sheds of Herefords and killed them for December and early January. It ruined the Bull trade.

Every year is different but cattle prices rising at present which augars good for Christmas week and January

Has there been any december that they made €4/kg for ordinary farmers, isn't that always the time that farmers start complaining......I should know

Has there been any december that they made €4/kg for ordinary farmers, isn't that always the time that farmers start complaining......I should know

Got a base of 4/kg if I remember right for cattle Christmas week 2014. Got 4.2/kg of a base in January. Christmass Week 2012 got either 3.9 or 4Kg for O grade bulls they were killed as bullocks on the sheets lot of that went on before the horse meat saga. They used to take bulls up to 30 months of age.

Used to do 15-20 every year from 2010-2013. I would buy them as weanlings previous autumn 12 months, 6-10 would go 2-4 days before Christmas rest before end of January. 2013 killed it processors were killing the HEx bullocks that all the store men cleaned up with in September selling to Larry's feedlots. He used them to depress price of cattle from before Christmas all winter long.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Not a chance of a lift. 7 weeks left in the year and plenty cattle left about. If selling 28 day steak cuts etc thats 4 weeks of the seven accounted for. Those steaks etc will have a 1 week shelf life so not going to be a shortage for the factory for Xmas/ New Year; that kill will be sorted by the end of Nov.

Got a base of 4/kg if I remember right for cattle Christmas week 2014. Got 4.2/kg of a base in January. Christmass Week 2012 got either 3.9 or 4Kg for O grade bulls they were killed as bullocks on the sheets lot of that went on before the horse meat saga. They used to take bulls up to 30 months of age.

Used to do 15-20 every year from 2010-2013. I would buy them as weanlings previous autumn 12 months, 6-10 would go 2-4 days before Christmas rest before end of January. 2013 killed it processors were killing the HEx bullocks that all the store men cleaned up with in September selling to Larry's feedlots. He used them to depress price of cattle from before Christmas all winter long.

I got severely criticised on here when I told people here that I knew farmers that were getting €4/kg in 2014......you must be one of their pets .
    As i said I should remember......unreal the hassle i got over it

I got severely criticised on here when I told people here that I knew farmers that were getting €4/kg in 2014......you must be one of their pets .
    As i said I should remember......unreal the hassle i got over it

It was the rest of 2014 that was a disaster Rangler all the other 50 weeks. Base was 3.5 from August -November slight climb after that and a jump the week before Christmas. 3.4/kg for O grade bulls in February, 3.7 base for March/April, Base of 3.9 in May/June dropped start of July. Not sure did it bottom out below 3.5/kg at 3.4 or 3.3 in November. Had some Friesian Bullocks and housed them in early October ( weather was very wet) and sold them week before Christmas. IF a price rise comes during the winter finishing period you see it the week before Christmas.

Slava Ukrainii

It was the rest of 2014 that was a disaster Rangler all the other 50 weeks. Base was 3.5 from August -November slight climb after that and a jump the week before Christmas. 3.4/kg for O grade bulls in February, 3.7 base for March/April, Base of 3.9 in May/June dropped start of July. Not sure did it bottom out below 3.5/kg at 3.4 or 3.3 in November. Had some Friesian Bullocks and housed them in early October ( weather was very wet) and sold them week before Christmas. IF a price rise comes during the winter finishing period you see it the week before Christmas.

As I say €4 It wasn't available to ordinary farmers, but it was available to a few. I used to always have a load of heifers ready before christmas from the suckler herd and used to get a really good price from them, but then they rented a feedlot and didn't care whether they got them or not. That was around late 90s and they used to be actively looking for cattle in December

As I say €4 It wasn't available to ordinary farmers, but it was available to a few. I used to always have a load of heifers ready before christmas from the suckler herd and used to get a really good price from them, but then they rented a feedlot and didn't care whether they got them or not. That was around late 90s and they used to be actively looking for cattle in December

R'downey by any chance? Used to be v.good week after christmas alright.

Larry is trying to to get lads to panic sell!!

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/cattle-to-sell-beef-prices-on-the-increase-236121

On Saturday, a number of factories paid farmers 5c/kg to 10c/kg above quoted prices.

At the top end of the market a base of €3.85/kg was paid for steers, increasing to €3.95/kg base for heifers. Tighter supplies are as a result of the transition from grass-finished to shed-finished cattle.

An unseasonably dry October has slowed down the housing of stock and this has resulted in a lower number of shed cattle coming for fit for slaughter.

With Christmas orders to fill, factory agents are very keen to secure stock for the weeks ahead.

Currency volatility

After a six weeks of downward pressure, farmers now have an opportunity to drive the trade. Most agents are predicting that the supply and demand situation will see prices break the €4/kg barrier before Christmas. Of course, much will depend on currency volatility.

There has been positive movement in this regard over the past 48 hours, with sterling having strengthened against the euro by just over 3%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Larry is trying to to get lads to panic sell!!

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/cattle-to-sell-beef-prices-on-the-increase-236121

On Saturday, a number of factories paid farmers 5c/kg to 10c/kg above quoted prices.

At the top end of the market a base of €3.85/kg was paid for steers, increasing to €3.95/kg base for heifers. Tighter supplies are as a result of the transition from grass-finished to shed-finished cattle.

An unseasonably dry October has slowed down the housing of stock and this has resulted in a lower number of shed cattle coming for fit for slaughter.

With Christmas orders to fill, factory agents are very keen to secure stock for the weeks ahead.

Currency volatility

After a six weeks of downward pressure, farmers now have an opportunity to drive the trade. Most agents are predicting that the supply and demand situation will see prices break the €4/kg barrier before Christmas. Of course, much will depend on currency volatility.

There has been positive movement in this regard over the past 48 hours, with sterling having strengthened against the euro by just over 3%.
    €4? They are probably trying to get lads to fill sheds with talk like that.

Cavanjack wrote: »

The vexing thing is that the Journal and their "award winning" journalists would stir ****e like that knowing full well there is a hidden agenda! May as well call it Larrys Journal.

What's being quoted for next week ?
    I rang a fella and he told me 3.65

The vexing thing is that the Journal and their "award winning" journalists would stir ****e like that knowing full well there is a hidden agenda! May as well call it Larrys Journal.

And you'd accuse them of talking it down if they didn't tell you what was paid....typical.

Quoted same here for over 30 month steers.
    3:70 for under. Midlands.

And you'd accuse them of talking it down if they didn't tell you what was paid....typical.

As I say €4 It wasn't available to ordinary farmers, but it was available to a few

Your own words. They are reporting the wealth of a few to the masses!

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »

Any cattle put into shed at present will not be fit for slaughter before Mid/Late January and these will be only the most forward stores. Most cattle put for feeding now will not be finished before late February. Unless lads are blind very little cattle were put in sheds before last week. Cattle being killed over next 2-3 weeks would have to be put in a shed in early September or come fit off grass. Most cattle coming fit off grass are hanging now in general these would have been the last of the April/May 2014 cattle.

For under 30 month cattle you are looking at cattle born from June 2014 so in reality we are looking at late 2014 and early 2015 cattle. There are a certain amount of cattle around that will be 36 months early next year mostly Friesians. The mart I was at last week there was a roaring trade for these cattle that were over 600kgs making up on 1.8/kg big empty plain stores. IMO cattle will be tight for next 10 weeks.

This has been in the pipeline for last 6-8 weeks. Word form millers was no rations/nuts being purchased by lads that feed a few. Yes Larry filled his feedlots and has expanded existing ones but no contracts handed out until last 10 days to 2 weeks. An arrogant procurement manager was supposed to have said in September '' the cattle are there someone will finish them''. Too many finishers with empty pockets and debts since last year. From February on it will not be great but until then if lads have cattle that are finished they may make a twist.

If I had cattle in a shed I be slow parting with them unless base was hitting 3.9-4/kg. If they are outside I would try to hold as long as possible. I could be wrong but cattle will rise fast kill has dropped 5K in 2-3 weeks even with B/H week that is some drop and it may not stop at that.

Slava Ukrainii

As I say €4 It wasn't available to ordinary farmers, but it was available to a few

Your own words. They are reporting the wealth of a few to the masses!

They have to report the facts, guarantee you there'd be some whinger on claiming he got more in the following weeks editions if they didn't.
    They haven't said any more than Bass said above....or is he one of larrys' men too/

''Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not all out to get you''

Anyone quoted for underage heifers this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone quoted for underage heifers this week?

I'm sending some aax from the suckler herd off Wednesday. 3.75 base. I was trying for 3.80 but when we agreed on 3.75 he said make sure and not tell anyone, as if he was doing me a favour. Maddened me a bit but what can you do. I seem to be always on the lower end of quoted prices. I'm also getting a good Aa bonus of 20cents so that enticed me. Although it will be 16cent next week I think, not a big difference.

I'm sending some aax from the suckler herd off Wednesday. 3.75 base. I was trying for 3.80 but when we agreed on 3.75 he said make sure and not tell anyone, as if he was doing me a favour. Maddened me a bit but what can you do. I seem to be always on the lower end of quoted prices. I'm also getting a good Aa bonus of 20cents so that enticed me. Although it will be 16cent next week I think, not a big difference.

It is always hard to get a fancy price for AA when extra winter and spring bonus's are in place. In a way it the reason I think aa are over prices normal bonus is 12c/kg I think ona 250kg heifer that is 300 euro and it is 40 euro on a 330kg bullock then they take another 5 euro off that for scheme managment. If your complete load is AA bullocks they tend to stick to lower bases as well.

IMO it is lose on price, lone on weight lose on AA fee lose on purchase first day for a measley bonus on a low weight carcase taht grades O+ and a atendency to over fat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement