Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone quoted for underage heifers this week?

3.70 set to rise to 3.75 next week.. that's base +QA and Grades..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

IMO it is lose on price, lose on weight, lose on AA fee, lose on purchase first day for a measly bonus on a low weight carcase that grades O+ and a tendency to over fat.

Jaysus tell us how u really feel!

How much is the fresian bonus again, l can't remember?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Rang 2 lads last Wed have 18 R3 bullocks to go; all LMX and both said €3.65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The bonus with friesans is that the hobby lads don't bid against you for them.

I like aa cattle though I'd prefer white heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No bonus for them but usually I do not have to pay for it either first day
    mf240 wrote: »
    The bonus with friesans is that the hobby lads don't bid against you for them.

I like aa cattle though I'd prefer white heads.

The other bonus with Friesians is that if you are bidding against Willf.... sorry the lads around the ring they find it harder to offload the expensive ones onto lads that they are buying a few for.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

No bonus for them but usually I do not have to pay for it either first day

The other bonus with Friesians is that if you are bidding against Willf.... sorry the lads around the ring they find it harder to offload the expensive ones onto lads that they are buying a few for.

Ouch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You are right to be fair. We sold a comrade of this bunch last June, probably the best of them for 1170. It was a bullock. No way will he leave money for the poor farmer that bought him. He was only 16montha at the very most. As I said all ours were suckler bred. And ya, it's hard bargain with agent when there is a good bonus, he kept bringing it up.

You are right to be fair. We sold a comrade of this bunch last June, probably the best of them for 1170. It was a bullock. No way will he leave money for the poor farmer that bought him. He was only 16montha at the very most. As I said all ours were suckler bred. And ya, it's hard bargain with agent when there is a good bonus, he kept bringing it up.

You are getting as good a base as I've heard of. 3.70 seems to be fun of it in south east.

Willfarman wrote: »
    You are getting as good a base as I've heard of. 3.70 seems to be fun of it in south east.

I am just after reading a farmers journal link on facebook saying cattle getting scarce, and 3.80 to 3.85 is what "they are paying". It also said factories are throwing In sweeteners like free transport to keep base price down and secure cattle. You wouldn't know what to believe. As I said before I can rarely get the higher quoted prices.

The lads writing for Independent must not read the Journal they have lower prices as the norm in todays paper.

• Advertisement

Isn't there so much luck/timing/guesswork involved

The journal is inclined to get quotes from the Ifa maybe. Not the best place to look for accurate information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

The journal is inclined to get quotes from the Ifa maybe. Not the best place to look for accurate information.

Does any farmer tell the truth when it comes to the price of cattle/sheep,
    On a trip abroad I was sharing a room with Darren Carty, and on the Tuesday night he spent hours phoning agents and farmers for feedback,....was the information credible, i don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

rangler1 wrote: »
    On a trip abroad I was sharing a room with Darren Carty, and on the Tuesday night he spent hours phoning agents and farmers for feedback,....was the information credible, i don't know

Paranoia will destroy ya Rangler! ☺

Not only do your posts sound that your in bed with them.....now in fact you have proved you are....how cozy.

barnaman wrote: »
    The lads writing for Independent must not read the Journal they have lower prices as the norm in todays paper.

They have but they are still bulliish expecting that prices will rise over the short term. If there is any hold (interruption) in supply we could see prices rise to 4/kg very fast. Not sure what last weeks through put was if if it goes below 30K prices will rise, if it heads for 28K we should be at 4/kg. A kill below that and it is anyone guess what price we will hit.

It is not so much that but they tend to be getting prices off larger suppliers with a bit more bargining power than the ordinary lad with 5-19 cattle or a load every few weeks.

If you know a lad personelly he will give it to you straight. A good journalist will know who tell it straight and when. He should be able to read between the line. In fairness the Journl is begining to cop on and starting to quote what is available to different suppliers.

What he said last week was that Steers were 3.60/3.65 with most lads securing 3.65/kg and some lads with larger lots securing 3.68/3.7. Heifers were 3.7/3.75 with some suppliers with large lots holding( that would imply that they were not getting it but expecting it early this week) for 3.8/kg

My own opinion is that there are not a lot of inspec cattle out there that are finished. Last year lads filled sheds in September expecting over 4/kg from mid November on but lots of lads did it, (an indian autumn like this year) had loads of cattle coming off grass as well. However this year kill was way stronger in October/November than last year which had a strong kill as well.

Processors know there is 120K more 2015 cattle there than 2014 so they presumed that someone would finish them. But too many lads had sore pockets compared to last year and were not willing to finish without contracts which were not forecomming.

It will not take much for prices to take off Ii what I am posting is right. It is too expensive to finish cattle to be gambling. They need the lad finishing a 10-15/week for the winter but he cannot afford it any longer. The lad that finishers 2-3 pens(20-40) cattle over the winter is browned off as well. All summer long has been tough as well pockets are only so deep and confidence is everything in this game.

Slava Ukrainii

They have but they are still bulliish expecting that prices will rise over the short term. If there is any hold (interruption) in supply we could see prices rise to 4/kg very fast. Not sure what last weeks through put was if if it goes below 30K prices will rise, if it heads for 28K we should be at 4/kg. A kill below that and it is anyone guess what price we will hit.

It is not so much that but they tend to be getting prices off larger suppliers with a bit more bargining power than the ordinary lad with 5-19 cattle or a load every few weeks.

If you know a lad personelly he will give it to you straight. A good journalist will know who tell it straight and when. He should be able to read between the line. In fairness the Journl is begining to cop on and starting to quote what is available to different suppliers.

What he said last week was that Steers were 3.60/3.65 with most lads securing 3.65/kg and some lads with larger lots securing 3.68/3.7. Heifers were 3.7/3.75 with some suppliers with large lots holding( that would imply that they were not getting it but expecting it early this week) for 3.8/kg

My own opinion is that there are not a lot of inspec cattle out there that are finished. Last year lads filled sheds in September expecting over 4/kg from mid November on but lots of lads did it, (an indian autumn like this year) had loads of cattle coming off grass as well. However this year kill was way stronger in October/November than last year which had a strong kill as well.

Processors know there is 120K more 2015 cattle there than 2014 so they presumed that someone would finish them. But too many lads had sore pockets compared to last year and were not willing to finish without contracts which were not forecomming.

It will not take much for prices to take off Ii what I am posting is right. It is too expensive to finish cattle to be gambling. They need the lad finishing a 10-15/week for the winter but he cannot afford it any longer. The lad that finishers 2-3 pens(20-40) cattle over the winter is browned off as well. All summer long has been tough as well pockets are only so deep and confidence is everything in this game.

Hope you are right Bass. We have a good few nearly ready for road.

Paranoia will destroy ya Rangler! ☺

Not only do your posts sound that your in bed with them.....now in fact you have proved you are....how cozy.

Junkets,!!!it'd be impolite not to go on them

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

What would be the likely live weight of HEx that killed out at 362kg

CHOPS01 wrote: »

Around 700kg. Did ya send many off?

• Advertisement

Hex what cow bull heifer??? Or did you mean Rex? Poor oul devil was a hoor for the mash. At that weight his paws just gave in

Hope you are right Bass. We have a good few nearly ready for road.

Not sure if I am right or wrong but if it happem=ns it will be short lived we will be back under pressure in February.

680-710kgs depending on grade, frame and FS. This would be empty weight. If you weight them fresh out of a field or pen. you could add another 15-25kgs for gutfill.

Slava Ukrainii

Hex what cow bull heifer??? Or did you mean Rex? Poor oul devil was a hoor for the mash. At that weight his paws just gave in

Ha sorry lads. Bullocks 30/31 months.
    Bought 204 days previous at average weight of 483kg so just want to get an idea of what weight I put on them in that period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody kill any young bulls lately, what are prices like?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Around 700kg. Did ya send many off?

Sent nine. Eight bought earlier this year while the other lad was the last calf born here on the farm. He killed out at nearly 400kg.
    It's my first year doing it on my own so more than happy with the weight gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anybody kill any young bulls lately, what are prices like?

Neighbour got 3.80 for u grade Bulls last week under 24 months

• Advertisement

Goodish Herefords here I'd work on 53% ko on empty belly. So 680. Would look like you avg kilo a day at that? Leave any money?

Goodish Herefords here I'd work on 53% ko on empty belly. So 680. Would look like you avg kilo a day at that? Leave any money?

Was thinking myself they had come in about kg/day which I was happy with.
    Bought when cattle were dear so cost just shy of 2.30/kg at the end of April. Haven't worked out my exact costs yet but reckon I turned a few euro on them alright. Fresh grass in front of them every day and 2.5kg/day of nuts for the last 3 weeks with access to baled silage for last 2 weeks.
    Shot of Closivet P/O eight weeks ago.
    Dealer who is a long time friend of my father organised them in the first place for me from West Clare said they were bang on and in perfect order. Always nice to get a compliment.
    I know agents will tell you what you want to hear but he is genuine having practically grown up in the same yard as the old man.

Was thinking myself they had come in about kg/day which I was happy with.
    Bought when cattle were dear so cost just shy of 2.30/kg at the end of April. Haven't worked out my exact costs yet but reckon I turned a few euro on them alright. Fresh grass in front of them every day and 2.5kg/day of nuts for the last 3 weeks with access to baled silage for last 2 weeks.
    Shot of Closivet P/O eight weeks ago.
    Dealer who is a long time friend of my father organised them in the first place for me from West Clare said they were bang on and in perfect order. Always nice to get a compliment.
    I know agents will tell you what you want to hear but he is genuine having practically grown up in the same yard as the old man.

You done a great job on them and done what very few managed to do this year... Make a clear profit!

You done a great job on them and done what very few managed to do this year... Make a clear profit!

A neighbour here grossed €400/hd on his cattle this year, he has 12 acres with 10 cattle and 1500 bps and plus his ANC payment...sold some hay as well....nice money i thought for a hobby, he reckoned his expenses were €100/hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

heard there's a few agents looking for heifers last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

They are getting scarce. Must be a rise from now to Christmas. How much I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

A neighbour here grossed €400/hd on his cattle this year, he has 12 acres with 10 cattle and 1500 bps and plus his ANC payment...sold some hay as well....nice money i thought for a hobby, he reckoned his expenses were €100/hd

What kind of cattle had he..when did he buy?

kk.man wrote: »
    What kind of cattle had he..when did he buy?

End March, dairy bred blacks, all graded o3 except one r 3, he said they cost 900 coming in

You reckon he got 1300 this year for o grade cattle? They haven't the grade or the weight. Someones calculator is gone haywire

You reckon he got 1300 this year for o grade cattle? They haven't the grade or the weight. Someones calculator is gone haywire

If they killed out at 360kg would he have got €3.60 for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

It would be good weight for Angus but achievable. There was one r and don't forget the aa bonus and if gone a few weeks at 3.70 base .

mf240 wrote: »
    It would be good weight for Angus but achievable. There was one r and don't forget the aa bonus and if gone a few weeks at 3.70 base .

Do you not have to be supplying at least 50 cattle/yr to qualify for aa bonus? They'd have to have been up on 700kg live. Would those cattle get into that weight? Great land in that part of the world though !!

They could of been limos. Even if they were Angus 1300 was achieved all right. Nothing to boast about there But 900 in the end of March wasn't buying much in the way of 2 year old stores. 400kg raw looking outliers possibly then it could be true..

Definately not like rangler to tell tall tales.,

If they killed out at 360kg would he have got €3.60 for them?

The weights were between 350 and 400, price was 360 flat, they were killed in a small abbatoir, they looked more like black limos alright

Do you not have to be supplying at least 50 cattle/yr to qualify for aa bonus? They'd have to have been up on 700kg live. Would those cattle get into that weight? Great land in that part of the world though !!

2 of the many conditions below
    • Cattle must be pre-booked 100 days in advance of processing
    • Members must supply a minimum number of cattle per year to avail of the AAA bonus. Finishing farmers must supply >50 cattle per year and Suckler farmers must supply >20 cattle her year to avail of the bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

barnaman wrote: »
    2 of the many conditions below
    • Cattle must be pre-booked 100 days in advance of processing
    • Members must supply a minimum number of cattle per year to avail of the AAA bonus. Finishing farmers must supply >50 cattle per year and Suckler farmers must supply >20 cattle her year to avail of the bonus.

F@ck that, they're just falling short of there must be a full moon with the wind blowing from the South East with the cuckoo in the nest scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

Agents are eager for cattle. 385 base achievable for heifers.
    Also a certain exporter that went bust a few years ago is buying all sorts of weanlings at home. Weigh in through 6 mile bridge mart. Giving better than what they would make in the ring too.

Agents are eager for cattle. 385 base achievable for heifers.
    Also a certain exporter that went bust a few years ago is buying all sorts of weanlings at home. Weigh in through 6 mile bridge mart. Giving better than what they would make in the ring too.

Where is 3.85 base for heifers achievable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Anyone get quotes for this week?

locha wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for this week?

€3.70 and €3.80 bullocks and heifers

Cavanjack wrote: »
    €3.70 and €3.80 bullocks and heifers

Where is that Cavanjack?

They are creeping up but it will slow after this week as white meat comes into play. This is nearly the last week's kill that is needed for the pre Christmas market.

Slava Ukrainii

Where is that Cavanjack?

Kepak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

if they are 3 70 now what do ye reckon they will be at the end of january?

• Advertisement

primary 2 wrote: »
    if they are 3 70 now what do ye reckon they will be at the end of january?

3.85-3.90 Christmas week, 4.00-4.10 the end of January, 3.80 for March and April

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement