Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ballpark €3.70 for R grade, are you in hereford prime?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shelleyb

blue5000 wrote: »

No the first time to kill cattle. I reared them as calves I have got the q/a sorted out and was hoping to get the Hereford bonus too! I going to try slaney meats tomorrow they are the nearest to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Agent told me 3.70 for heavy ones we sent this morning but 5c extra avail in places for in spec hex/aax types.

Got killout back from what were sent Thursday. Happy out.☺

BR M/D G/F KG COLD
    CHX 22/24 U+2= 456
    LMX 24/27 U=3+ 430
    LMX 24/21 R+4= 384
    CHX 24/26 R=3- 417
    CHX 24/27 R+2+ 486
    LMX 24/22 U+3- 461
    LMX 24/9 R=3+ 436
    LMX 22/23 U=3- 436
    LMX 22/22 R=3+ 429
    LMX 30/02 U-3- 366
    LMX 24/26 U-2+ 388
    LMX 31/5 U=3- 457
    CHX 24/27 U= 3- 477
    CHX 22/24 U-2+ 391

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Got killout back from what were sent Thursday. Happy out.☺

BR M/D G/F KG COLD
    CHX 22/24 U+2= 456
    LMX 24/27 U=3+ 430
    LMX 24/21 R+4= 384
    CHX 24/26 R=3- 417
    CHX 24/27 R+2+ 486
    LMX 24/22 U+3- 461
    LMX 24/9 R=3+ 436
    LMX 22/23 U=3- 436
    LMX 22/22 R=3+ 429
    LMX 30/02 U-3- 366
    LMX 24/26 U-2+ 388
    LMX 31/5 U=3- 457
    CHX 24/27 U= 3- 477
    CHX 22/24 U-2+ 391
    Great weights Cough.
    What were you feeding them for the last coupe if months.?
    You could have even fed them fir another month

Robson99 wrote: »
    Great weights Cough.
    What were you feeding them for the last coupe if months.?
    You could have even fed them fir another month

They were getting 5kg finishing ration. Getting that since start oct. They were finished out so you can imagine the tearing they were at. Could have done till new yr alright but they did fine. My auld b&w's will never see weight like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

They were getting 5kg finishing ration. Getting that since start oct. They were finished out so you can imagine the tearing they were at. Could have done till new yr alright but they did fine. My auld b&w's will never see weight like that.

What would the ration cost per head, €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

What would the ration cost per head, €200?
    70 days at 5kg is 350kg. At €250/1000kg that works out at €87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Did you get docked for the one a few days over?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Did you get docked for the one a few days over?

Yup. Lost the qa. The same two would be first to meal morning and evening.

huey1975 wrote: »
    70 days at 5kg is 350kg. At €250/1000kg that works out at €87

€82.50☺ you are on the ball. They needed every ounce of it. They just kept flippin growing. Was hard enough to put a finish on them.

Great grades by the way. But small things like that are annoying. I wonder if you mentioned it to the agent/procure manager when you booking them would he have left you off? Where did you send them, Liffey meats?

Was hard enough to put a finish on them.

Bullocks? Noticed they weren't overfat. Would you not have left them go nearer the 30mths? Continentals need every bit of the time I find, even with heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Did you get docked for their weight? More importantly did they leave any money behind them?

€82.50☺ you are on the ball. They needed every ounce of it. They just kept flippin growing. Was hard enough to put a finish on them.

Serious weights considering they were only getting 5kg. Must be good proof in that ration

• Advertisement

Serious weights considering they were only getting 5kg. Must be good proof in that ration

They were well bred. Were all bought of an A1 tech.

Great grades by the way. But small things like that are annoying. I wonder if you mentioned it to the agent/procure manager when you booking them would he have left you off? Where did you send them, Liffey meats?

Went to Nenagh. It was either take the two overage or take the hit for being slightly overweight!! 3.70 on grid got 12c on 12 and highest one got to 4.06 and lowest 3.82 incl two overage.

Bullocks? Noticed they weren't overfat. Would you not have left them go nearer the 30mths? Continentals need every bit of the time I find, even with heifers.

bullocks. They were outside and it was either shed or factory. Shed would have put them back.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Did you get docked for their weight? More importantly did they leave any money behind them?

They left me nothing. Last of FILs stock. Prob made 200 a head on them.

Bought as weanlings? Ye done them well.

• Advertisement

Bought as weanlings? Ye done them well.

They were between 8-13mts at the time and all bought together. youd have been a long trying to get the likes together in mart. God bless done deal ☺. They got no special treatment really. Would have been block grazed 8acres at a time. Remember when we bought them. The FIL used to love going for a spin back the fields for a look at them. A bit of a spark for him and kept him going i think. Pity he didnt have the chance to see them go. He'd have been 8feet tall all weekend.☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is all right your B&W will leave a profit:D. Serious though I see it if you have QA quality stock you really have to watch the ages and shift them before 30 months. It a pain as you have to separate them earlier to feed them. Were they on silage as well or had you grass for them Cattle that size would need a lot of grass and you were lucky with the month of November.

Slava Ukrainii

It is all right your B&W will leave a profit:D. Serious though I see it if you have QA quality stock you really have to watch the ages and shift them before 30 months. It a pain as you have to separate them earlier to feed them. Were they on silage as well or had you grass for them Cattle that size would need a lot of grass and you were lucky with the month of November.

Hopefully they will. I will tell ya one thing. Anyone who called over last few months and looking over gate at them like they were new born babies!! Ya wont have lads looking at frx like that.☺. They were on grass and silage. Last two weeks only a pick but adlib silage. Had two fresh fields put aside for them until then. Poxed lucky with weather. They have one field ready for light harrow and reseed in spring. Ya couldnt have cattle 800kg plus out in bad weather no matter how trafficable the land. Ages have to be watched alright but big changes around here so they were left together and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A bit of fair grading makes all the difference.

Willfarman wrote: »
    A bit of fair grading makes all the difference.

It does. But could also have been caught badly for being over weight.

Often hear lads say you can't get a finish on continental's till they are over 30 months. Yours would have been well overweight at that age and You have sufficient fat cover on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

An ounce of breeding and a ton of feeding. No.3
    403066.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bit slow with the paperwork are we ch?:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Often hear lads say you can't get a finish on continental's till they are over 30 months. Yours would have been well overweight at that age and You have sufficient fat cover on them.

Ya great finish for 24 month bullocks with only 5 kg feeding. Much easier to have continental heifers finished at 22 -24 months

I was only in senior infants when he was registered.:D she was well capable of putting weight on calves. the 2010 lad was definitely born in April and he done 1.8 kg/day.

• Advertisement

I was only in senior infants when he was registered.:D she was well capable of putting weight on calves. the 2010 lad was definitely born in April and he done 1.8 kg/day.

April what yr...😂...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

3:70 base seems to be the best on offer in the midlands for steers this week.

Can anyone cheer me up with better news?

dryan wrote: »
    3:70 base seems to be the best on offer in the midlands for steers this week.

Can anyone cheer me up with better news?

Unfortunately not. Word on the street is that they will pull them a bit

Unfortunately not. Word on the street is that they will pull them a bit

Quite possible after this week anything killed from now to Christmas week will be going to the table against white meat. In general factory's are easy about cattle for these 10-14 days they will be ticking over. If it continues like this any lad killing cattle will be getting a bit of a roasting. Hard to see money being made with the price of stores

Slava Ukrainii

Quite possible after this week anything killed from now to Christmas week will be going to the table against white meat. In general factory's are easy about cattle for these 10-14 days they will be ticking over. If it continues like this any lad killing cattle will be getting a bit of a roasting. Hard to see money being made with the price of stores

The plainer stores have adjusted almost to where they need to be but as we were saying it now has to go back the line to the suck calf..

I suppose the only good news is that the sustained high weekly kill now might reduce the glut a little in January Feb.

The plainer stores have adjusted almost to where they need to be but as we were saying it now has to go back the line to the suck calf..

I suppose the only good news is that the sustained high weekly kill now might reduce the glut a little in January Feb.

Not sure if it will a 100K+ extra cattle is a lot to kill over next 12 months. Steer kill is nearly 2K/week less than last year, cow are 2K/week extra, backlog of steers building up I am afraid

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Not sure if it will a 100K+ extra cattle is a lot to kill over next 12 months. Steer kill is nearly 2K/week less than last year, cow are 2K/week extra, backlog of steers building up I am afraid

Was in factory dropping off culls yesterday and worker telling me plenty of cows/stock bulls but very small numbers of younger stock this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

An ounce of breeding and a ton of feeding. No.3
    403066.png

I've literally never seen a beast that heavy. My stock bulls don't kill that.

Theres a little chink of light appearing I think. Agents and procurement managers cold calling wanting cattle for 2 day kill next week and week after.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Theres a little chink of light appearing I think. Agents and procurement managers cold calling wanting cattle for 2 day kill next week and week after.

was talking to a man yesterday he was telling me he had an agent in his yard friday evening and an other rang him sathurday looking to know had he anything to go this week or next

I'd say they'll be a glut of cattle after Christmas. Every lad you talk to (myself included) is saying "I've a load to go after Christmas sure the price might improve".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got a phone call here today the factory to see if I have any for next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Killing 3 days down in Bandon next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

need to get heavy cows shifted next week or 2

roscrea not interested

any pointers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

dzer2 wrote: »
    Got a phone call here today the factory to see if I have any for next week

what kind of prices are they quoting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

orm0nd wrote: »

roscrea not interested

any pointers ?

Youngish heavy continental cows have been selling well in the marts around here, better than they'd make in the factory anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

dryan wrote: »
    what kind of prices are they quoting?

3.75 told him he was under the live trade price

Was in factory today and saw cattle being killed. Very humane in my eyes compared to that halal **** 20 year ago in same spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

dzer2 wrote: »
    3.75 told him he was under the live trade price

Try Hacketstown they like heavy cont cows

orm0nd wrote: »

roscrea not interested

any pointers ?

Fred salter ballon meats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.