Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Had an agent call me 3.80 going for Steers next week atm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

locha wrote: »
    Had an agent call me 3.80 going for Steers next week atm

would that be for inspec or do they cut for out of spec stock now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

primary 2 wrote: »
    would that be for inspec or do they cut for out of spec stock now?

As long as you are qa and cattle are under 36 months.. Seems to be no cuts or weight limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What's the beef kill in the journal. Its still 3.7 for bullocks and ten more for heifers

Willfarman wrote: »
    As long as you are qa and cattle are under 36 months.. Seems to be no cuts or weight limits

thats good news so,last year i was cut 10 cent a kilo for anything over 4 20kgs and also 4 euro a head for clipping,any news on prices and do you think they will rise much by the end of january?

thats good news so,last year i was cut 10 cent a kilo for anything over 4 20kgs and also 4 euro a head for clipping,any news on prices and do you think they will rise much by the end of january?

3.75 is the price at the minute though I think 3.80 is to be had for a for double of under 30 months. I think that will be the height of it. And downhill is the probable forecast after but who really knows?

One good thing this time as compared to 2014 is that the processers are moving vast tonnages of beef and there doesn't appear to be any backlog yet.

any updates on prices? was talking to an agent thursday 3 75 for bullocks,proably 3 80 if tryed hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

any updates on prices? was talking to an agent thursday 3 75 for bullocks,proably 3 80 if tryed hard

Load going this week. 3.80 base for over 30 month bullocks. Easily got but don't think there is any more to be got for that age anyway.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Load going this week. 3.80 base for over 30 month bullocks. Easily got but don't think there is any more to be got for that age anyway.

what type of cattle have you going? do you reckon they will rise much in the next few weeks? have friesians to go myself,i will wait an other 2 to 3 weeks and see what happens,ideally i would like to get a flat price

what type of cattle have you going? do you reckon they will rise much in the next few weeks? have friesians to go myself,i will wait an other 2 to 3 weeks and see what happens,ideally i would like to get a flat price

Big Friesian's. Can't see them rising much more but sure who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jjjack77

Any change in the price of beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

€3.90kg base price for heifers this week in abp clones co.monaghan.

Jjjack77 wrote: »
    Any change in the price of beef

3 80 for steers now in most places,talking to an agent tonight he reckons they might go to 3 85 next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

€3.75 bullocks & € 3.85 heifers Athleague
    Hard get anymore than that in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jjjack77

Robson99 wrote: »
    €3.75 bullocks & € 3.85 heifers Athleague
    Hard get anymore than that in the west

Same everywhere I think

Jjjack77 wrote: »
    Same everywhere I think
    True that.
    There is 3.80 in southeast for a double of underage but that's nearly always the way.

No problem up this way getting 3.80 for over 30 month steers. Not sure if more can be got for under 30 months.
    Skipped through the journal last night. Interesting article on the value of an o grade and a u grade carcass. An o grade carcass could be worth €100 more to the processor. The sucklers are finished if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

No problem up this way getting 3.80 for over 30 month steers. Not sure if more can be got for under 30 months.
    Skipped through the journal last night. Interesting article on the value of an o grade and a u grade carcass. An o grade carcass could be worth €100 more to the processor. The sucklers are finished if that's the case.

'' You can buy gold too dear eh''

I asked a lamb wholesaler in france what grade lambs we should be producing...he said R3. easier for him to market and easier for him to source

rangler1 wrote: »
    '' You can buy gold too dear eh''

I asked a lamb wholesaler in france what grade lambs we should be producing...he said R3. easier for him to market and easier for him to source
    I've been saying it for the last few years, if want they want is an r or o+ grade at a certain weight then they should pay top price for them.

• Advertisement

I've been saying it for the last few years, if want they want is an r or o+ grade at a certain weight then they should pay top price for them.

They're easier to market because they're less expensive,I'm sure if they were the same price as Us and Es they'd take the higher grades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,983 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They're easier to market because they're less expensive,I'm sure if they were the same price as Us and Es they'd take the higher grades

It is morw than that. The O/R grade carcasses are ideal stake spec/size. U grade steaks have to be cut too thin to get within price brackets. House wife/ coup!Es want 2 steaks for 8 euro. Mincesells very well also, competes with cheap chicken fillets and pork chops.
    In a way U grade cattle are cheaper/ kg for beef recovered from carcasses. But steaks and roasts too big , too little mince and some roasts have no fat cover.p grade cattle have too much cheaper cuts.

Slava Ukrainii

It is morw than that. The O/R grade carcasses are ideal stake spec/size. U grade steaks have to be cut too thin to get within price brackets. House wife/ coup!Es want 2 steaks for 8 euro. Mincesells very well also, competes with cheap chicken fillets and pork chops.
    In a way U grade cattle are cheaper/ kg for beef recovered from carcasses. But steaks and roasts too big , too little mince and some roasts have no fat cover.p grade cattle have too much cheaper cuts.

If the factories try to explain that to farmers that come with overweight cattle they get abused.
    should be compulsory for every beef farmer to work for 6 mths in a butchers shop, see how far they get with 450kg carcases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

The mince from the cow costing the processors 3.20 ish at the moment is big profit for them. It's never sold to the supermarket as cow meat/cuts but yet its sold as the same price as prime cattle meat to the customer. In most cases its Bord Bia QA so farmer is real loser in the chain. It should be compulsory to display the beef gender/age or pay the farmer the QA bonus.

If the factories try to explain that to farmers that come with overweight cattle they get abused.
    should be compulsory for every beef farmer to work for 6 mths in a butchers shop, see how far they get with 450kg carcases

That is why grading age QA is a joke. It was set up to suckler spec cattle and about 50-60% of cattle fall into O grade and below. O- and P+ cattle are providing very cheap beef to processors amazing how hard it is now to get FAR cattle into FS3 compared to 5 years ago. Yet factories have no issue with For bulls atbFS2= in general you can squeeze them in and get paid the O grade price when they are looking for cattle.

Very hard now to get traditional breed cattle and even Cont breed dairy crosses Ito the R Grade. Machines are being tweaked ina lot of people's opinion to suppress the beef price

Slava Ukrainii

That is why grading age QA is a joke. It was set up to suckler spec cattle and about 50-60% of cattle fall into O grade and below. O- and P+ cattle are providing very cheap beef to processors amazing how hard it is now to get FAR cattle into FS3 compared to 5 years ago. Yet factories have no issue with For bulls atbFS2= in general you can squeeze them in and get paid the O grade price when they are looking for cattle.

Very hard now to get traditional breed cattle and even Cont breed dairy crosses Ito the R Grade. Machines are being tweaked ina lot of people's opinion to suppress the beef price

I wonder is there no notice inspections on the grading machines, theoretically they're a computer that grades exactly the same as an electronic grader anywhere else in Europe

• Advertisement

I wonder is there no notice inspections on the grading machines, theoretically they're a computer that grades exactly the same as an electronic grader anywhere else in Europe

I do not think so. Who has the training to access them tonstead the code. The only one it would pay to train some one to code is guess who. The processors.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Wasn't there a thing about a machine working too fast and more fat was shaved off so a few less kilos and a less fs

any word on prices for the week comming?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

any word on prices for the week comming?

Just off the phone to factory agent.
    Quotes for this week in the midlands...

3.80 base for bullocks
    3.90 base for heifers

dryan wrote: »
    Just off the phone to factory agent.
    Quotes for this week in the midlands...

3.80 base for bullocks
    3.90 base for heifers

was talking to a few today,3 75 for bullocks and 3 85 for heifers but you would get the 3 80 and 3 90 i think the way they were talking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

3.85 Base for in spec heifers

North West today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

3.40 R grade cont cows. Sterling lifted a good bit, should help beef too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Have few lim heifers for mart nxt few weeks, one of them is just gone over the 30 months how much of a hit can I expect?rest are spring 15 born.

Have few lim heifers for mart nxt few weeks, one of them is just gone over the 30 months how much of a hit can I expect?rest are spring 15 born.

Hard to know it depends on level of finish And weight. The buyer lose's the 12c/kg QA and maybe 5-10 c/ kg on the base. As well she will have to be slaughtered before the end of June. At a guess 20- 30c/kg LW.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Thanks bass,i'd say she is 450 kg, surely still make over 800 euro?

Thanks bass,i'd say she is 450 kg, surely still make over 800 euro?
    Weight is against you as well if she is only 450 kgs. To get flesh on her a lad will need to get her to 600,kg,+ so he may have to let her go over 36 months. It really hard to know whether she is runtish or notI am always wary of such animals as they can tend to be very slow to put on weight.

Last year local factory was quoting 20c/kg powerbase for over 36 months. This was off the quoted base. If I was bidding I would have lost interest at 700 euro

Slava Ukrainii

Bemused to see 2 pages of bull****e in today's farmers journal regarding Irish beef factory price for each grade.. Because all cattle are apparently graded equally regardless as to what plant you go to..

Bemused to see 2 pages of bull****e in today's farmers journal regarding Irish beef factory price for each grade.. Because all cattle are apparently graded equally regardless as to what plant you go to..

Yeah that same story is published every year.

I also think it is stupid they used to give this cognisant to soft sellers. What is an SS a lad that see no point paying a lad to collect cattle this evening at 5,PM when he can drop them in late AM tomorrow and between transport and weight loss it is worth 10+c/ kg. It alright to bargain if every factory is around you. As well there is no investigation of the impact of feedlot cattle in any particular factory

Slava Ukrainii

i see on the journal that lads are getting 3 70 flat for underage friesans,would overage friesans still get the 3 70 do you think or would they be priced differently?

• Advertisement

i see on the journal that lads are getting 3 70 flat for underage friesans,would overage friesans still get the 3 70 do you think or would they be priced differently?

Give the journal a ring and see who and where that is available. Pure bull****e. 3.50 might and just might be got from one thes flat price places but it's wait a month for your money if you deal there.

I have only aranged to flat price Friesian bullocks a few times. You would need at least 15-20 and maybe double that at present. Some processors may flat price them but in general if they at that kind of price They would all want to be O grade with very few P grade cattle. There would want to be over 50% grading O=or better so in reality you might be little better off if you had to travel 50+ miles more than normal. The reason for underage is because of supermarket demand for U30 month cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

Give the journal a ring and see who and where that is available. Pure bull****e. 3.50 might and just might be got from one thes flat price places but it's wait a month for your money if you deal there.

Agree with you there. Sold a couple of loads of over 30 month Friesian's in the last few weeks. On the grid with a base of €3.80 it works out at €3.68 for an o+ (which is the minority of them). For a p+ it's €3.50 on the grid. Can't imagine any factory giving 3.70 flat even if underage. Unless that includes 12cent quality bonus?

Agree with you there. Sold a couple of loads of over 30 month Friesian's in the last few weeks. On the grid with a base of €3.80 it works out at €3.68 for an o+ (which is the minority of them). For a p+ it's €3.50 on the grid. Can't imagine any factory giving 3.70 flat even if underage. Unless that includes 12cent quality bonus?
    Flat means It would include everything but I'm sure these avid hard sellers that the journal gets his quote from is getting free transport bonuses and a ride off the procurement managers wife in the bargain..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spoke with a lad this evening sending a load of heifers- dont know where though- 3.96 ch and aa

The best offer i could get this week for steers is 3:80 base - 10 cent cut on any carcass over 450 kg
    Going with them in the morning.
    Mixed bunch or over and under 30 mths.

dryan wrote: »
    The best offer i could get this week for steers is 3:80 base - 10 cent cut on any carcass over 450 kg
    Going with them in the morning.
    Mixed bunch or over and under 30 mths.

its as good as can be got right now,how many days had you them sold before he would take them?

its as good as can be got right now,how many days had you them sold before he would take them?

Agent called to the yard Saturday morning to have a look at them.
    Said he would check with a few of the factories and get back to me.
    Rang me back monday night with best quote.

Im hoping he will do me a twist as most of the carcass weights will be >450. (he has done before)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

5 years to the day yesterday since this thread started. Not a huge change in prices I suppose. How do inputs compare.

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    5 years to the day yesterday since this thread started. Not a huge change in prices I suppose. How do inputs compare.

You are wrong 5-7years ago base was always over 4/kg for bullocks around Christmas. And I always got 390-410 for O grade Friesian bulls and 30 months was the cut off not 24. A ration/ nut was costing 200-220/ton now it is nearly 240/ton. Fertlizer was at or around this year's prices contractor prices have risen by 15-20% at a guess.

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement