Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

yea getting 4.00 euro next week for bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Anyone getting 4 euro for bullocks ?

was quoted 3.90 base for bullocks last weekend - midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Getting 3.90 for bullocks and 4.00 for heifera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

leoch wrote: »
    yea getting 4.00 euro next week for bulls

They are keen for beef there. Best I heard was €4 for heifers.

Yea getting a bit keener alright foyle meats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Who2

A lad was telling me he got offered 4.10 for 15 month bulls today as a base price, he didn't say who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Beef very tight at the moment, and will be for the next few weeks. It had to slow down sum time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Got quoted €3.25 flat price for o/p fr cows ,great demand for cows at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

What weight do they have to be over?
    cute geoge wrote: »
    Got quoted €3.25 flat price for o/p fr cows ,great demand for cows at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

What's the best going for bullocks and heifers at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Duke92 wrote: »
    What's the best going for bullocks and heifers at the moment.

Here ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Here ya go

Think those figures include 6 cent R+ bonus and 12 cent bord bia bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

No i think they a base prices before any bonus

Here ya go

Thanks but that's only the average weekly base price on all cattle for last week and includes bonuses
    Heard there's 3:95 and 4:05 going is there any more to be got
    3:40 going for o and p cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

No i think they a base prices before any bonus

Are they not for an R+ animal????

• Advertisement

Going with bulls in morning 4.05 and talk of 4.10 for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Working with a lad today and his father rang him about cattle they killed. They killed FR unlocks and they went into €1800 each. Don't know weight,price per kilo or age but thought it was a great price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

ELP wrote: »
    Working with a lad today and his father rang him about cattle they killed. They killed FR unlocks and they went into €1800 each. Don't know weight,price per kilo or age but thought it was a great price

They had to be 4 year old tonne weight lads..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Willfarman wrote: »

They had to be 4 year old tonne weight lads..

And maybe a bit with it if they averaged 3.7/ kg they need to be 486kgs. Now factory's are always spouting about heavy carcass, plain cattle and over 36 months. On the other hand with Italy and France being on the higher end of the EU grid it had opened the market for heavy cattle. They are not into QA as either. Those heavy fresians will grade as well O=/+ so only 12-18c back off the base. Friend got quoted 3.95 of a base for a half dozen O+/R Grade over 36 months lightish killing cattle. So them fresians could have averaged 3.8 and killed 468kgs. Going into 1800 might be averaging 1775 euro each

Slava Ukrainii

I thought it was some price alright. I'll ask tomorrow to see if he has the weight or age of them

• Advertisement

Seen 930 kg frs in the mart last week they made €1500 they were 4 year old they guy that bought said if he only got cow price he'd get a touch on them

Duke92 wrote: »
    Seen 930 kg frs in the mart last week they made €1500 they were 4 year old they guy that bought said if he only got cow price he'd get a touch on them
    He get a right touch on them 250-300/ head. Like I always see in mart's finished cattle seldom make as much as in the factory.

Slava Ukrainii

He get a right touch on them 250-300/ head. Like I always see in mart's finished cattle seldom make as much as in the factory.

The man selling them didn't have a clue the value of them.

Cavanjack wrote: »

The man selling them didn't have a clue the value of them.
    Even if he did it unlikely they hit within 100 euro of there real value in a mart

Slava Ukrainii

Got asking about the 1800 cattle today.
    They were fr bulls that was the top price. He said they were under age but didn't know kill out or price

Got asking about the 1800 cattle today.
    They were fr bulls that was the top price. He said they were under age but didn't know kill out or price

Very doable with the right type of friesian bulls under 24 months.

Very doable with the right type of friesian bulls under 24 months.

For a friesian bull to make 1800 euro he have to grade R and kill 450 DW, if they averaged above 1600 euro they must have been hiding in the rushes a while

Slava Ukrainii

For a friesian bull to make 1800 euro he have to grade R and kill 450 DW, if they averaged above 1600 euro they must have been hiding in the rushes a while

Killed a few in the summer coming up on 24 months. A few were over 450kg one lad 475kg and they graded r-. They were very well fed!!! You'd surely get €3.90 for these at the minute?
    These were the exception mind. Average was round the 400kg.

any updates this week on Bullock prices?

was quoted 4.00 base last week.

Midlands

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

dryan wrote: »
    any updates this week on Bullock prices?

was quoted 4.00 base last week.

Midlands

Nothing on Bullocks, but got 4.00 for U grade bulls u 24 mths.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the negativity surrounding projections for 2017 it is at least a thing that prices are matching 2016 levels, for what it is worth.

4:00 base this wee still holding for steers in the midlands.

Have a few that ran over the 36 months as were hard to finish.
    no cut on them - same base price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Danzy Given the negativity surrounding projections for 2017 it is at least a thing that prices are matching 2016 levels, for what it is worth.

I think a lot less 2 yr old fr bullocks came off dairy farms this spring. This probably held the price up. Trouble is they're all grazing now and will make a glut in the back end before they hit the third winter/30 months.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

dryan wrote: »
    4:00 base this wee still holding for steers in the midlands.

Have a few that ran over the 36 months as were hard to finish.
    no cut on them - same base price.

Same as. Have 9 going tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

blue5000 wrote: »
    Danzy Given the negativity surrounding projections for 2017 it is at least a thing that prices are matching 2016 levels, for what it is worth.

I think a lot less 2 yr old fr bullocks came off dairy farms this spring. This probably held the price up. Trouble is they're all grazing now and will make a glut in the back end before they hit the third winter/30 months.

I went for more heifers, mostly continental and a dozen WH, this year, aiming to have them finished by mid September in most cases. Looks as if there is ess heifers coming through and might beat the glut of bullocks dragging price down.

It made sense at the time we'll see in the fall.

Heard 4.05 in Waterford and another factory near by usually match them. Plus ment to be hard to get suitable heifers

4.05 was for steers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone sold any weanling heifers? I've a few
    herefords let out to grass, they're scrawny enough yet. Balla mart tells me there's a good trade

Got cheque back. Ave weight 318kg ave price €3.98 ave, ages from 23/29mts and 25/26mts for the 9 including all deductions and bonus. All dairy bred stock. 1SIX R=, 1LMX R-, 1HEX O+ , 2HEX O=, 4HEX O-. All grading fat score of 3.
    Wont be in too much of a hurry to push young cattle for the winter again. ☺

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Got cheque back. Ave weight 318kg ave price €3.98 ave, ages from 23/29mts and 25/26mts for the 9 including all deductions and bonus. All dairy bred stock. 1SIX R=, 1LMX R-, 1HEX O+ , 2HEX O=, 4HEX O-. All grading fat score of 3.
    We're the o- Herefords as bad as that? It's a ffer that qa and breed bonus is gone too..

We're the o- Herefords as bad as that? It's a ffer that qa and breed bonus is gone too..

Its becoming an issue with these bonus's. The AIBP factory's are now staring to insist that breed bonus cattle are killed on a specific day a week. This is bringing two issue first if you have other cattle that breed bonus cattle these may have to be killed on a different day. The other isue that it may cause is a tweak in the machine means that they do not have to pay the bonus on a lot of cattle this stops the issue of quota's

Another factor is are cuts from cattle that are not paid the bonus being sold as AA or Hereford prime. The big demand is for steaks and burgers. Roast cuts,mince etc would not be in the same demand. I am really getting suspicious but then again maybe I am paranoid

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Another factor is are cuts from cattle that are not paid the bonus being sold as AA or Hereford prime. The big demand is for steaks and burgers. Roast cuts,mince etc would not be in the same demand. I am really getting suspicious but then again maybe I am paranoid

Yes they are in most cases except burst bellys or bruised cattle. They go to the same boning line and into the same boxes. Some young bulls and cows the same. Hex the same. Some cases like Aldi Lidl will only take a certain weight and fat score but not too many.

Killing on the same day is more got to do with logistics than grading but we all know different factory's get different grades. The dep are starting to clamp down on this a bit. The more that companies about bad grades in these places the better.

Be as well off with a good friesian as herefords or AA. You have to pay a premium to buy them then they end up killing out light and missing the bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Its becoming an issue with these bonus's. The AIBP factory's are now staring to insist that breed bonus cattle are killed on a specific day a week. This is bringing two issue first if you have other cattle that breed bonus cattle these may have to be killed on a different day. The other isue that it may cause is a tweak in the machine means that they do not have to pay the bonus on a lot of cattle this stops the issue of quota's

Talking with a neighbour the other day who rears a few HEx from calves to slaughter. He was telling me that he has to inform the factory how many he is rearing/feeding and tell them now when they will be fit for slaughter later in the year - sorta like booking them in advance by 6 months :(

Be as well off with a good friesian as herefords or AA. You have to pay a premium to buy them then they end up killing out light and missing the bonus.

A fr that O- 3- will kill out nearly as good as a hex O-3-. He will cost 150-200 cheaper as a calf or a weanling. Ya need to be getting into O+ and Rs to get any benefit out of the bonus. But that takes age and age brings 4+ fat score so there is no margin for error. Dont get me wrong i did ok out of them they all left 490 ave but if id let them out to graze end of feb and leave them until the youngest was 26mts off grass in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A fr that O- 3- will kill out nearly as good as a hex O-3-. He will cost 150-200 cheaper as a calf or a weanling. Ya need to be getting into O+ and Rs to get any benefit out of the bonus. But that takes age and age brings 4+ fat score so there is no margin for error. Dont get me wrong i did ok out of them they all left 490 ave but if id let them out to graze end of feb and leave them until the youngest was 26mts off grass in June.
    IMO takes a fair bit of feeding/management to get a FR into a 3 and like you said about HEx there is no margin for error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sent a free Martin Angus heifer to factory last week. R4 284kg @€;4.15 =€1181 in my dad's herd so not quality assured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

whelan2 wrote: »
    Sent a free Martin Angus heifer to factory last week. R4 284kg @€;4.15 =€1181 in my dad's herd so not quality assured

Did it say how much the quality assurance was worth ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No .

QA is 12c/kg which come to 34 euro at present if in AA scheme they are paying another 15c/kg on top of that or 42 euro. You cannot enter AA scheme without QA. There is a flat 5/head deduction on AA cattle above normal deductions so after deductions 71 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement