Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

Have an agent calling today
    Is it still 4.05 and 4.15 for heifers approx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

jd06 wrote: »
    Have an agent calling today
    Is it still 4.05 and 4.15 for heifers approx?

That seems to be what's on offer ok

Ya that's it, just had him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

9 steers gone this morning at 4.05 base - midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Im reading everywhere (Paper, IFA website, ICSA tetxs etc) you can get €4.05 to €4.10 for steers in spec in my local factory. Yet I can only get €4.. What am I missing

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

gerryirl wrote: »
    Im reading everywhere (Paper, IFA website, ICSA tetxs etc) you can get €4.05 to €4.10 for steers in spec in my local factory. Yet I can only get €4.. What am I missing

I'd never rely on prices from the paper. Most of the time they are not accurate. Don't know about IFA website.

gerryirl wrote: »

What and how many are you selling? You should be able to get 4.05

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I picked a few out this evening might bring 7 or 8, a few not just ready yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Just got quoted 3.95 base kepak Athleague. Anyone doing any better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

restive wrote: »

There a pull?

Maybe? What are the other factories like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Rumour going around for last 10 day that they were going to pull prices this or next week. February cattle starting to go over 30 months so processors have it on there own side for a while. Demand will decide where it settles.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone kill under 16 month bulls this year and if so what price and when?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

3.95 being quoted now..last of cattle at 4.05 being killed now..getting lots of cattle at present but things could settle in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Anyone kill under 16 month bulls this year and if so what price and when?

A chap here who has serous AI bred ch stock 14 months old with a months feeding could only get €2:20 live in macroom Saturday. No bite at all.He didn't want to bother finishing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I killed a AA X Lm cow R 4 385 kg DW @ E 3.60

Anyone book in steers for next week? Any quotes?

Both Liffey meats and kepak quoting 3.90 for underage steers up to 440 kilos for next week.

Both Liffey meats and kepak quoting 3.90 for underage steers up to 440 kilos for next week.

You'd wonder why we bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Same **** different year...

• Advertisement

Strange how the manage to be so co-ordinated🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Strange how the manage to be so co-ordinated🙄

What business in the whole country has the exact same price for the one product !Competition Authorities just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,861 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kk.man wrote: »
    What business in the whole country has the exact same price for the one product !Competition Authorities just don't care.
    Its more or less the same as the dairy industry, afaik every creamery went up 1cpl last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

whelan2 wrote: »
    Its more or less the same as the dairy industry, afaik every creamery went up 1cpl last month

No it is not there is a difference in price paid between top and bottom co-op's. Yes they all went up 1c/L but off different prices. As well at certain time some co-op's will raise there prices while other hold. With the beef processors it is totally different they move in unison to drop prices.

Slava Ukrainii

restive wrote:

Do all factory's do the 4.40 kg cut off
    I sent some last week there was no mention of weight restrictions

Have a load to go in a week or so coming up to 30months. Wonder am I better hold on for a month or 6 weeks and see if price improves and lose the bonus? They are continental's and just about fit. Another month would do them no harm.
    More boats for finished stock needed. No excuses for this pull. The kill hasn't increased enough to justify a 15cent cut in the last two weeks.

jd06 wrote: »
    Do all factory's do the 4.40 kg cut off
    I sent some last week there was no mention of weight restrictions

I presume so. I only phoned local factory's, if anyone knows of another factory not doing it I'd appreciate a head's up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have a load to go in a week or so coming up to 30months. Wonder am I better hold on for a month or 6 weeks and see if price improves and lose the bonus? They are continental's and just about fit. Another month would do them no harm.
    More boats for finished stock needed. No excuses for this pull. The kill hasn't increased enough to justify a 15cent cut in the last two weeks.[/QUO
    You are long enough around now ,in 6 weeks time base might be back another 15 cent with the way the weather is and the glut of extra cattle in the country!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

More boats for finished stock needed. No excuses for this pull. The kill hasn't increased enough to justify a 15cent cut in the last two weeks.

There is no justification for the cut but one, from their part, Cattle are going to becoming in any way.

It is very difficult to see pressure upwards in the next 6 weeks but that doesn't mean it might not happen but it would be a real hop.

The Free Market and competition are held as glorious things for the little guy by the big one but a very different attitude when dealing with it oneself applies further up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If they are fit move them on. Fat scor 3.. If they aren't. Don't.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    If they are fit move them on. Fat scor 3.. If they aren't. Don't.

Have them going at the end of the week €3.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

A double going in the morning. €3.95 for bullocks. €4.05 for heifers.
    When through about 60 of them this evening, and pull out what's to go. I say well have another double in 2 to 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

I have a few AA steers 28 months @ approx 580kg. If i sold at mart what price would i get? An agent reckons 1200 in factory after feeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wigster wrote: »
    I have a few AA steers 28 months @ approx 580kg. If i sold at mart what price would i get? An agent reckons 1200 in factory after feeding?

I'd say he's not far off the mark..don't know if you would do any better in the mart.

Can anyone say where the €4 being quoted in todays independent is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Hi All

I have 10 bullocks and one will be 30 months old at the end of the week, the other 9 will be 30 months late October/early November.
    Should I send him to the factory or just leave him to go with the rest later in the year. He is a BB cross 600kg+
    Do the factories penalise if over 30 months??
    I am not QA
    Any thoughts would be appreciated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Hi All

I have 10 bullocks and one will be 30 months old at the end of the week, the other 9 will be 30 months late October/early November.
    Should I send him to the factory or just leave him to go with the rest later in the year. He is a BB cross 600kg+
    Do the factories penalise if over 30 months??
    I am not QA
    Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Try and get qa before you sell them by october ,no big deal getting beef qa the first time anyway .You will get bonus on any cattle that qualify if under 30 months.You may as well let the 10 go together unless he is over fat already .
    No penelty over 30 months but no qa might be some deductions

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Any quotes for next week?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Any quotes for next week?

Got some bullocks away yesterday at 3.95 but they told me it'd be 3.90 for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I've a 28mth old lim heifer I wasn't planning on selling until October as the rest of her bunch are a good bit younger. She's looking a bit fat to me the last while, I'd very rarely finish any animals but is she near finished and would it be worth getting her to the factory rather than holding her for the mart later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Dozer1 wrote: »
    I've a 28mth old lim heifer I wasn't planning on selling until October as the rest of her bunch are a good bit younger. She's looking a bit fat to me the last while, I'd very rarely finish any animals but is she near finished and would it be worth getting her to the factory rather than holding her for the mart later in the year

Wouldn't be an expert but had few LM x heifers for factory in last few weeks and going by them I think she's well fit and you'd want to be sending her to factory sooner rather than later in case she gets over fat - looks like she could be pushing on towards that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

What is the penalty for over fat?

Wigster wrote: »
    What is the penalty for over fat?

Depends on conformation. Google qps grid and You'll find it.
    That lassie is probably an r+ so if she's over fat she would be docked 18c a kg. If she's a u- then 12c. The worse the grade the more your penalised for over fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Was quoted 3.85 and 3.95 for bullocks and heifers next week. Long way back from 4.20 just a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

New to this finishing lark, would this fella be considered ready?

• Advertisement

I think he could go a good bit more, it will take a lot to have him go over fat given his breed.

In my opinion, if you sold him to the factory now, you'd be leaving money out of your pocket. Whether he is 30 months or not soon, I did the same last fall and regretted it.

He should be able to put up a good bit of weight yet but I'm just in the year ahead of you in this School.

Take it as one man's opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Someone has to be the devil's advocate and I hope you take this as constructive criticism.

But what the hell are you grazing?
    You'll never get an animal to fatten on that.

There's no feed value let alone feed to fatten on in that growth stage of grass.
    You need grass for fattening to just have 3 leaves and no dead leaves below those 3 leaves and by that I mean no stem.

Best thing you can do with that is cut it and save it for the winter and graze the aftergrass.

So p6 is the animal fit for killing. He didnt post the photo to get slammed on his grazing techniques:rolleyes:

whelan2 wrote: »
    So p6 is the animal fit for killing. He didnt post the photo to get slammed on his grazing techniques:rolleyes:

No but if he is a lad new to the game, then something that is important to finishing should be pointed out.

Ways and means of doing that.

Fair enough, but some of us dont have the best land in the country to work with. We do the best with what we have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement