Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

whelan2 wrote: »
    So p6 is the animal fit for killing. He didnt post the photo to get slammed on his grazing techniques:rolleyes:

No it's not but if we are all nicey nicey and thank each others posts for the sake of it, we learn nothing.

I'm not here to make friends.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fair enough, but some of us dont have the best land in the country to work with. We do the best with what we have.

For a new lad at the game you would have had some education in grass management this year, in many parts it got out of control and a man can find he is chasing his tail for months after. .

If you can get the finishers on to leafy grass then do so Mon.

If you can pick that up, then it might be an option.

Give them a bit of ration as well if u can.

Fair enough, but some of us dont have the best land in the country to work with. We do the best with what we have.

Who's we?

More of that populist make friends with me nonsense.

There's an awful lot of terrible farmers out there who given a silk purse would make a sow's ear out of it and you know it.

We. We me hole.

Right I'm off for a break.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Who's we?

There's an awful lot of terrible farmers out there who given a silk purse would make a sow's ear out of it and you know it.

We. We me hole.

You just had you dinner ffs.

Don't forget that you too once upon a time did not know everything about this craic.

Danzy wrote: »
    You just had you dinner ffs.

Don't forget that you too once upon a time did not know everything about this craic.

You were agreeing with me before.

If I did something wrong I'd always like to be told rather than just whinge about stuff.

We are here to learn from others are we not?

I take back my original post then.
    The op has a wonderful animal and wonderful pasture.

I also note there's been no complaints from the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Thanks lads!

The pic was taken a week ago and it has since been cut. Its just a rough area at the bottom the field I let them have access to.
    They are on better grass at the minute with a good chunk of after grass, that is coming along nicely, to follow. I'll take a few pics this evening!

You were agreeing with me before.

If I did something wrong I'd always like to be told rather than just whinge about stuff.

We are here to learn from others are we not?

I take back my original post then.
    The op has a wonderful animal and wonderful pasture.

I also note there's been no complaints from the op.

Take it easy. I'm not disagreeing with you.

There was meant to be a wink symbol, showing it was a gentle ribbing.

Thanks lads!

The pic was taken a week ago and it has since been cut. Its just a rough area at the bottom the field I let them have access to.
    They are on better grass at the minute with a good chunk of after grass, that is coming along nicely, to follow. I'll take a few pics this evening!

and there was peace in the valley once more.

What ration are you giving them.

Corby Rock
    Supreme Beef

Protein: 16%
    Oil and Fats: 5.4%
    Fibre: 9.4%
    Ash: 7.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who's we?

We. We me hole.

Aye indeed.....whatever you think yourself:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD note; Ok folks, back on topic please, beef price, try and keep the personal stuff out of it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Corby Rock
    Supreme Beef

Protein: 16%
    Oil and Fats: 5.4%
    Fibre: 9.4%
    Ash: 7.5%

How many kegs a day is he getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Someone has to be the devil's advocate and I hope you take this as constructive criticism.

But what the hell are you grazing?
    You'll never get an animal to fatten on that.

There's no feed value let alone feed to fatten on in that growth stage of grass.
    You need grass for fattening to just have 3 leaves and no dead leaves below those 3 leaves and by that I mean no stem.

Best thing you can do with that is cut it and save it for the winter and graze the aftergrass.

Get caught now and again with this type of grass during the summer. In beef no point in feeding ration to put weight on during the summer so watching grass is abit different to cows where you can afford to supplement and get paid for it.

With this type of grass I pre mow it for cattle. In the present type of weather you can pre mow 3-4 days grazing. If very hot weather and long days you would want to limit it to 1-2 days at most. I did it ths summer in late june waiting for after grass. I was amazed in the difference in thrive between mowing and grazing. With pre mowing intake is huge and no waste compared to tryong to graze it. As well you will have to top it anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

When do you start giving your bullocks ration Bass,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Quotes back this morning I'm told. 3.85. That blue bullock isn't fit as others have said. The grass isn't ideal but not that bad. The trick with pasture like that is let them cherry pick the best out of it and move on but don't force them to clean it out.. use dry cows dry ewes or the topper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He's not fit yet. What age is he?

No matter how good the grass I'd build him up to 5kg min asap and he should have flesh enough in 3-4 weeks...blues are very lean. U can see the cod has not filled out yet and no flesh around tail head..best of luck and let us know what he kills out

When do you start giving your bullocks ration Bass,

I been feeding bullocks since late April first lot went the 3 week in June( a F@@king week to late). I have exited winter finishing and bulls. I run cattle in two batches stores( yearling and 2 year olds) and a finishing bunch getting 3ish kgs of a Barley/maize/hulls mix. It is costing 215/ ton in the bin. Some cattle will get 8-10 weeks but some only 4-6 weeks. As they come fit they are killed. Any time a friesian is hitting 1300 euro or over he leaving a right nice twist.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He just turned 30 months yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

With this type of grass I pre mow it for cattle. In the present type of weather you can pre mow 3-4 days grazing. If very hot weather and long days you would want to limit it to 1-2 days at most. I did it ths summer in late june waiting for after grass. I was amazed in the difference in thrive between mowing and grazing. With pre mowing intake is huge and no waste compared to tryong to graze it. As well you will have to top it anyway.

Get caught now and again with this type of grass during the summer. In beef no point in feeding ration to put weight on during the summer so watching grass is abit different to cows where you can afford to supplement and get paid for it.

Love your posts Bass. Positive and informative as usual. Really shows boards at its best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I been feeding bullocks since late April first lot went the 3 week in June( a F@@king week to late). I have exited winter finishing and bulls. I run cattle in two batches stores( yearling and 2 year olds) and a finishing bunch getting 3ish kgs of a Barley/maize/hulls mix. It is costing 215/ ton in the bin. Some cattle will get 8-10 weeks but some only 4-6 weeks. As they come fit they are killed. Any time a friesian is hitting 1300 euro or over he leaving a right nice twist.

Are you feeding them on grass?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Some good advise there lads. This is what they're grazing at the minute and after grass coming. If I wanted to finish that BBX in 8-10 weeks, would he want to be getting 5kg of ration from now?

Some good advise there lads. This is what they're grazing at the minute and after grass coming. If I wanted to finish that BBX in 8-10 weeks, would he want to be getting 5kg of ration from now?

Looking good, in my mind that amount should definitely finish him. Mind he has a good bit to go but that should do it.

Other animals on the same programme might end up getting fat over that time though, the BBX takes a lot to be over fat.

Put up another few photos as the weeks go by, we'll make this one a class project. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If you are giving 5kg, make sure to give it over two feeds as opposed to once a day.

• Advertisement

Have a read of this as well.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/animals/beef/feed-options.pdf

Keep an eye out for acidosis as well from the over feeding.

Anyone getting better than 3.85? Usual ****e. Take it or leave it and it's 3.80 for next Monday. My friendly local Larries plant.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Anyone getting better than 3.85? Usual ****e. Take it or leave it and it's 3.80 for next Monday. My friendly local Larries plant.

They are truly awful bastards.

The must be easily getting the number of cattle they want?

Don't think they ar, it is down to the cattle having nowhere else to go, a monopoly in the market.

• Advertisement

Hence, the "take it or leave it" approach by the factories...

That is precisely it Danzy. More boats needed. There will come the usual nonsense calls for digging in and hard selling but experience generally shows the lone farmer can't fight the tide controlled by greedy processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The over 30 months rule guarantees a certain amount of cattle this time of year.

What are cows at . Ps and os

I reckon the minions are due into your local mart any day now to buy cheap cattle, cheaper because the factory price has dropped. Feedlots have to be filled now to depress the factory price at christmas.

Only other excuse is that sterling is at 91p.

On the 30 month thing, cattle numbers should not be starting to peak until next month ( March 2015 births). They won't fall off in numbers till November.

2015 ICBF Calf registrations;

Proportion-of-calving-births-for-2015-Source-ICBF-1-400x260.png

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/expansion-continues-to-drive-calf-numbers-dairy-births-up-69000-head/

I think it will bottom out at 3.8-3.85. It is a case of holding cattle not yet fit. Lads panicking and throwing cattle at them will not help over a 5c fall next week.
    They are truly awful bastards.

Partly our own fault too many lads finishing cattle too much for factories. A bullock killed at 4.1/kg in June if 340 kgs would makeabout 1400 euro. The same bullock today at 3.85 would need to be 365kgs to hit 1400 euro. That is 40-50 kgs of LW so in reality he be only breaking even at best if all that weight was gained on grass.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    I reckon the minions are due into your local mart any day now to buy cheap cattle, cheaper because the factory price has dropped. Feedlots have to be filled now to depress the factory price at christmas.

The lads with contracts are not the issue they will finish anyway at a price. The real issue is the amount of small finisher like myself that have exited winter finishing. I know 5-6 lads that have exited, Total no of cattle they would have finished would be anything from 20ish for lads like myself to one lad that used to finish over 200 cattle. So that is over 300 less cattle that these lads are finishing. I think this is being repeated all over the country.

More and more winter cattle will have to be contracted as risk is too great.

Slava Ukrainii

Dunedin wrote: »
    If you are giving 5kg, make sure to give it over two feeds as opposed to once a day.

Feeding up to 6kg in one feed with buffer though

blue5000 wrote: »

Baa nana!!!
    It's all that eejits like me can hope for.
    But while the barons are allowed to plunder rural economies we can't carry the losses on our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Baa nana!!!
    It's all that eejits like me can hope for.
    But while the barons are allowed to plunder rural economies we can't carry the losses on our own.

I wounder what deal they have with the supermarkets.? Their buyers must be aware that the factories are sourcing clearer product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

You'll never get an animal to fatten on that.

There's no feed value let alone feed to fatten on in that growth stage of grass.

Needed to be said. Maybe this man doesn't have a tractor and mower, or maybe the land is too wet to pass and if so fair enough, each to his own. Best of luck to him.

• Advertisement

Got 3.90 on Monday in kepak but they were sold last week. Think they are quoting 3.85 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

folks its shocking whats going on.. Theres no excuse this time for 30 cent swing in 2 weeks. Its time the IFA and other the other mouthpiece's stopped talking about it and actually do something about it... but I wont hold my breath. The IFA have become very weak the last 10 years when dealing with the beef issues. A study done a few years ago showed to be breaking even or god forbid even make a cent you need to be getting €4 a kilo

Ya, if its going to 3.80 next week, what will be the long term consequences? Maybe its time to let the dairy guys reach their full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

gerryirl wrote: »
    folks its shocking whats going on.. Theres no excuse this time for 30 cent swing in 2 weeks. Its time the IFA and other the other mouthpiece's stopped talking about it and actually do something about it... but I wont hold my breath. The IFA have become very weak the last 10 years when dealing with the beef issues. A study done a few years ago showed to be breaking even or god forbid even make a cent you need to be getting €4 a kilo

Only one solution , withdraw supplies, until that's done the ''mouthpieces'' are the only ones that are actually doing anything.
    When we were trying to thrash out the new National Roads Deal years ago it wasn't a lot of help to us when the NRA were claiming that ''there's deals being done''
    Breakeven cost of silage is over €25/bale....plenty being bought at €20 and it's farmers that's the offenders there

riemann wrote: »
    Needed to be said. Maybe this man doesn't have a tractor and mower, or maybe the land is too wet to pass and if so fair enough, each to his own. Best of luck to him.

Everyday is a learning day and if you're listening to sugar everyday you're not learning. I think the message got across to the poster and to anyone else reading the post so some information was learned by all so it was a useful exercise.

What I learned though is that Whelan2 has the horn on for me by thanking any posts mildly disagreeing with me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

rangler1 wrote: »
    Only one solution , withdraw supplies, until that's done the ''mouthpieces'' are the only ones that are actually doing anything.
    When we were trying to thrash out the new National Roads Deal years ago it wasn't a lot of help to us when the NRA were claiming that ''there's deals being done''
    Breakeven cost of silage is over €25/bale....plenty being bought at €20 and it's farmers that's the offenders there

If one were to pay e25 per bale it would be more economical to sell the cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Everyday is a learning day and if you're listening to sugar everyday you're not learning. I think the message got across to the poster and to anyone else reading the post so some information was learned by all so it was a useful exercise.

What I learned though is that Whelan2 has the horn on for me by thanking any posts mildly disagreeing with me.:D
    Without getting into a row . I have learnt that p6
    doesnot like anyone disagreeing with him. Anyways, anyone sell culls lately? Also 11 year old Angus bull to go too.

OK pedigree 6 take a 24 hour break from posting in farm and forestry, you ignore it and next step is a ban.

I think we have this same conversation every year when prices drop.
    What can we do about it? Not very much as individuals but there is a problem in the industry as far as competition goes.
    Heard nothing about producer groups this while. Wonder would they be any addition.

• Advertisement

Boats boats and more boats! Ship the calves, ship the weanlings ship the fat cattle. It's the only hope we have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement