Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

rangler1 wrote: »
    Next Saturday, it'll be a big ask, 350 ewes for sale, 2.30 in TULLAMORE MART,
    Thanks for giving the lead in to advertise it
    If I was in the market for ewes/sheep I wouldn't miss the sale as you and your wife have an excellent reputation for quality breeding & stock.
    Other than rearing a few pet lambs we haven't kept sheep in over 20 years due to too many problems with dog attacks.
    Best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I was always brought to meetings with politicians because of my PR skills, pity more farmers aren't capable of putting the boot in when there's an issue

You were only there because that's where the bus let you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

mf240 wrote: »
    You were only there because that's where the bus let you off.

Ah no,had to bring the car cos either me or them'd walk out .....sure 'twas all part of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Next Saturday, it'll be a big ask, 350 ewes for sale, 2.30 in TULLAMORE MART,
    Thanks for giving the lead in to advertise it

Best of luck with sale and retirement

Here's a fair question then, if these knowalls know so much about the inconsistencies in factories, why don't they follow it up.
    I don't care what any report says, a friend used to claim that the paper in them was a bit hard for what he'd use them for.
    Quoting Public service doesn't impress me as you know
    Back on track :)
    TBH we don't know about inconsistencies in any factory cause there are no figures published :mad:
    IMO, MMI are the tail that wags the dog while we (farmers) sit on our arses patting its head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

valtra2 wrote: »
    Will stick to the mart I think. 1760 925kg 9year old

Getting back to the beef tracker theme... I can't figure out how cow could be worth this much to someone for factory unless making about €3.80 a kilo? Or am I missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

As long as there are farmers to provide an oversupply of Cattle to the factories they will be in the driving seat. Not a whole lot we can do.
    Anyway load going off this week @ €3.80 for steers.

Getting back to the beef tracker theme... I can't figure out how cow could be worth this much to someone for factory unless making about €3.80 a kilo? Or am I missing something
    Apologies for contributing to the thread going offside but the use (misuse for all that we know :eek:) of VIA's is like a thorn in my side.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    As long as there are farmers to provide an oversupply of Cattle to the factories they will be in the driving seat. Not a whole lot we can do.
    Anyway load going off this week @ €3.80 for steers.
    So what do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

It was bought by a agent. So I am happy and I am sure he is not losing out. Or maybe the agents are getting less than the farmers. Bahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Easy when it's going to France for around 3k plus the fifth quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Unless she was a real tight cow. Real heavy cattle K/O 2-3% and maybe more than cattle that are 150kgs lighter. I would imagine that a good quality youngish contenintal cow over 900 kgs would kill up on 55%.

Slava Ukrainii

Base price wrote: »
    So what do you suggest?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm only pointing out that 30k odd cattle a week is enough for the factories to keep a bit of competition between them. How we keep it to this I've no idea. More boats for finished cattle maybe or maybe the China thing will finally happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Base price wrote: »
    So what do you suggest?

The sucker herd needs to be halved, and all the part timers (like myself) need to feck off and concentrate on our day jobs. Most the land needs to be rented to the horny dairy farmer next door.
    The majority of animals for the factory need to be off Jex cows and a carcass weight of 250kg to 275kg.

Ah shur I'm joking...... But

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

The figure of 30k cattle per week has been bandied about for years as the tipping point, They tell us they have customers/markets for this amount of beef. Are the factories telling us that they have failed to increase their turnover/secure new markets over the years?
    To answer my own question, they have secured new markets and double shaft farmers when the weekly kill goes over 30k. They are the lowest of the low and deliberately cut the price once cattle start to become fit after the summer and when the weather starts to turn. They know they have the farmer under pressure then and are not slow to put the boot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The figure of 30k cattle per week has been bandied about for years as the tipping point, They tell us they have customers/markets for this amount of beef. Are the factories telling us that they have failed to increase their turnover/secure new markets over the years?
    To answer my own question, they have secured new markets and double shaft farmers when the weekly kill goes over 30k. They are the lowest of the low and deliberately cut the price once cattle start to become fit after the summer and when the weather starts to turn. They know they have the farmer under pressure then and are not slow to put the boot in.

Playing devil's advocate here, but what do you expect? Beef is consumed 365 days of the year and supply has to match that. How can you expect the price not to drop when the supply increases. That's how every free market works. And remember prices go up aswell, just as much as they go down. Law of averages and all that.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

And another point you missed. This 30k kill a week is now full of O and P grade cattle. 2 of them put together wouldnt make one good bullock. Carcass are lot smaller. There will be thousands more coming on the market in the next 5 years to help the factories out. The Bord Bia grid system will suit them better as well.they wont have to worry about paying the extra 12 cent cause nothing will make the cut

Any advance in €3.80 for steers? According to the journal factories are anxious for cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Any advance in €3.80 for steers? According to the journal factories are anxious for cattle.

I've only 20 left to go before housing in November. They'll be left here till the price gets back up 15 cent (hopefully 20).
    If they are anxious for cattle, well see them pull the price 5 more cent next week and that will be the bottom of it. Price will rise again bit by bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Playing devil's advocate here, but what do you expect? Beef is consumed 365 days of the year and supply has to match that. How can you expect the price not to drop when the supply increases. That's how every free market works. And remember prices go up aswell, just as much as they go down. Law of averages and all that.

They're on the 30k for years. Have they not developed any new markets? They know how many cattle are there.
    What you're saying is they are maintaining/entitled to hold their margin while at the same time putting farmers out of business???

• Advertisement

or maybe the China thing will finally happen.

Honestly that will only pay the factorys not the farmers. Sample loads of ribs have been put together for them already. They want a cheap piece of rib. Ribs cut about 20cm wide by 3 ribs. Normally put trough a mincer. It's only the factory's adding value to sh!t.

gerryirl wrote: »
    And another point you missed. This 30k kill a week is now full of O and P grade cattle. 2 of them put together wouldnt make one good bullock. Carcass are lot smaller. There will be thousands more coming on the market in the next 5 years to help the factories out. The Bord Bia grid system will suit them better as well.they wont have to worry about paying the extra 12 cent cause nothing will make the cut

The highest priced market in the Europe for the last nearly 10 years is the UK market. They factory's love O grade cattle for that market. As one factory boss was quoted as saying O+/= cattle FS 3 are more than adequate for that market. For o+ cattle they pay 12c/l there is a 12c deduction off the base, 18c off O= and 24c and no QA bonus on O- cattle. That is why coming in from Christmas on they flat prices these cattle.
    I've only 20 left to go before housing in November. They'll be left here till the price gets back up 15 cent (hopefully 20).
    If they are anxious for cattle, well see them pull the price 5 more cent next week and that will be the bottom of it. Price will rise again bit by bit.

Yes prices will rise again but it will be November at leas 3.95/kg would be a good result at Christmas. They are getting plenty of cattle at the moment and it will not change for the next 6-8 weeks after taht it will depend on how fast 2016 cattle come on stream.
    They're on the 30k for years. Have they not developed any new markets? They know how many cattle are there.
    What you're saying is they are maintaining/entitled to hold their margin while at the same time putting farmers out of business???

Beef consumption dropped during the 90's it has stabilized. Too many farmers willing to have sucklers cows losing money.

Slava Ukrainii

Where did I say that? Look I'm as pissed off as anyone else. I've more cattle to sell this year than ever before. It's just this constant bitching and moaning that does my head in. I've listened to guys giving out about factories for over 40 years now. What's the point? What's stopping any of these guys from getting together and setting up their own factory? No - easier to be the hurler on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I'm being quoted 3.75 ( kepak )

Where did I say that? Look I'm as pissed off as anyone else. I've more cattle to sell this year than ever before. It's just this constant bitching and moaning that does my head in. I've listened to guys giving out about factories for over 40 years now. What's the point? What's stopping any of these guys from getting together and setting up their own factory? No - easier to be the hurler on the ditch.

While agree with the first part of your post it annoys me when lads throw the line ''What's stopping any of these guys from getting together and setting up their own factory?'' The reason for thsi is we are an exporting 90% of our beef. While setting up a niche market may be possible setting up a new factory would be impossible. Even the few smaller independent processors are going. Slaney gone to AIBP, Kildare as good as in the hands of Dawn, Kelly Meats now owned by Kepak.

There are so many different markets for different stock and different parts of an animal it would be impossible to set up a new processor. As well rendering is virtually in the hands of the big two so you will not get a competitive price for cattle rendering service. However our hands are tied behind our backs. Moaning is no good either.

However some lads will not help themselves. These are the same lads that spring after spring pay through the nose for 30-40 cattle or want to buy charley's that will kill 450kgs that these is a very limited market for.

Last night was having a pint and a lad was telling me about some nice black LM bullocks 440kgs that made 950/head in the mart. There was a fortune to be made in them he taught if carried to next year. My own opinion was that next year 1500-1550 would be the slaughter price no matter when you killed them or what you did with them if the market was the same as this year.

Now here the thing last week I killed two Fr bullocks sub 300kgs that came into 1035 euro. They were bought as year and a half stores last November 340ish kgs for 480 landed in the yard. 550 of a gross margin. The fancy LM had Mart fees and transport home so landed in the yard they be 970 euro and a gross margin of 550 again. Now the LM would be a nice fancy animal in front of the house but the Fr did the same job. They got about 28 euro of meal and silage and grass after that. Because they were light were cheap to carry and they only arrived in November. TBF to them they came in with compensatory growth, they went out of the shed with it and on ration they had it. There are six more that will take another 4-6 weeks but will kill heavier they should leave much the same. If I had bought them last September they would have made another 100 euro/head.

These are the cattle that fella turn there nose up at or carry to 40 months to kill another 3-400 euro more. I have heard one lad refer to them as ''V backs'' It is never wrong to take a profit. But going back to sh!te about setting up a factory to process your own cattle is rubbish. Or even going on about farmers markets like France and the UK. What we do need is competition in the form of more exports. We also need lads to stop paying 50-100 euro more for calves than they are worth and then blaming finishers or factory's if they lose money.

Finally we need to limit factory feedlots but it is not going to happen and we need producer group legislation but rangler and the IFA have there heart set against it. For some reason it is not in the interest of retired farmers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I had a small batch of Saler heifers, sent them off this week.

I'll put up their weight, grade and what they made but the ugly ducklings at puck money prices really opened my eyes, I was lucky, no doubt there but they had a decent shape when bought but they were great heifers.

When I look at what the White head heifers did and what they cost and what they left.

I think there are a lot of lads who have massive firepower, a life time of experience and savings, they like nice cattle and they are happy to roll the ball over.

All that matters is what they leave behind and what works for you, if that means killing earlier or in September/October so be it.

A lot of people are going to have to find their own spin on it though if it is to be worth their while.

While agree with the first part of your post it annoys me when lads throw the line ''What's stopping any of these guys from getting together and setting up their own factory?'' The reason for thsi is we are an exporting 90% of our beef. While setting up a niche market may be possible setting up a new factory would be impossible. Even the few smaller independent processors are going. Slaney gone to AIBP, Kildare as good as in the hands of Dawn, Kelly Meats now owned by Kepak.

There are so many different markets for different stock and different parts of an animal it would be impossible to set up a new processor. As well rendering is virtually in the hands of the big two so you will not get a competitive price for cattle rendering service. However our hands are tied behind our backs. Moaning is no good either.

However some lads will not help themselves. These are the same lads that spring after spring pay through the nose for 30-40 cattle or want to buy charley's that will kill 450kgs that these is a very limited market for.

Last night was having a pint and a lad was telling me about some nice black LM bullocks 440kgs that made 950/head in the mart. There was a fortune to be made in them he taught if carried to next year. My own opinion was that next year 1500-1550 would be the slaughter price no matter when you killed them or what you did with them if the market was the same as this year.

Now here the thing last week I killed two Fr bullocks sub 300kgs that came into 1035 euro. They were bought as year and a half stores last November 340ish kgs for 480 landed in the yard. 550 of a gross margin. The fancy LM had Mart fees and transport home so landed in the yard they be 970 euro and a gross margin of 550 again. Now the LM would be a nice fancy animal in front of the house but the Fr did the same job. They got about 28 euro of meal and silage and grass after that. Because they were light were cheap to carry and they only arrived in November. TBF to them they came in with compensatory growth, they went out of the shed with it and on ration they had it. There are six more that will take another 4-6 weeks but will kill heavier they should leave much the same. If I had bought them last September they would have made another 100 euro/head.

These are the cattle that fella turn there nose up at or carry to 40 months to kill another 3-400 euro more. I have heard one lad refer to them as ''V backs'' It is never wrong to take a profit. But going back to sh!te about setting up a factory to process your own cattle is rubbish. Or even going on about farmers markets like France and the UK. What we do need is competition in the form of more exports. We also need lads to stop paying 50-100 euro more for calves than they are worth and then blaming finishers or factory's if they lose money.

Finally we need to limit factory feedlots but it is not going to happen and we need producer group legislation but rangler and the IFA have there heart set against it. For some reason it is not in the interest of retired farmers.

Some BS there alright, we must be great people having a lamb produder group going since the sixties. legislation my ar.., get your finger out and do it for yourself.
    Have a decent product and market it , it's not rocket science.

I think Rangler is the only one living in the real world. Maybe you could explain Bass Reeves how the Producer Groups would work in practice. What exactly would they do and how would they negotiate with the factories? What would be their bargaining chip?
    On a more serious note, what happens of sterling stays down the way it is? Who can produce beef at €3.70 and what will be the long term implications of this? High prices may cure high prices but will low prices cure low prices?

I think Rangler is the only one living in the real world. Maybe you could explain Bass Reeves how the Producer Groups would work in practice. What exactly would they do and how would they negotiate with the factories? What would be their bargaining chip?
    On a more serious note, what happens of sterling stays down the way it is? Who can produce beef at €3.70 and what will be the long term implications of this? High prices may cure high prices but will low prices cure low prices?

When go into negotiation we highlight,
    Consistency of the lambs, 80% lambs within spec, R3 or better and weight .....not really difficult as we get hammered on price for out of spec
    QA,
    Clean effeicient hauliers.....they never have to worry if there's an audit on the days we go
    Working with factory on promotions

• Advertisement

Two years ago because recognised the imbalance in the producer/processors relationship the EU Comission gave the greenlight to allow large sized producer groups to negotiate prices between farmers and processors. They are already been put in place in some countries example France. Normally such groups that could have a controlling influence on price would be considered anti competitive.

It is worth noting that as recently as early this year the EU commission again intervened in the meat market to insist that meat processors will have to publish there accounts even though technically they are unlimited companies. This was for two reasons they see an imbalance in the market and also several of the so called unlimited companies such as AIBP were in fact limited entities. AIBP operates out of the Isle of Man

To give you an idea below you can see some of the draft guidline that would have been allowed. These guideline would allow producer groups negotiate base prices, forward pricing etc but it would also have forced processors to negotiate national base prices. Take the situation where by the AA and HE schemes give a bonus but the base price is negotiated locally by the farmer. The AA bonus where they give a forward booking bonus but this open to widescale abuse where the base price is for such cattle at these time is reduced by 5-10 cent by the local procurement managers.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/consultations/2015_cmo_regulation/draft_guidelines%20_en.pdf

Rangler are you telling me that the AA and HE cattle that the processors are not in spec, not only are they in spec but as even cattle that do not recieve the bonus are still sold to supermarkets for that scheme but the farmer is shafted. Rangler you are living in vacum in what happened 20 years ago. No processor will allow a beef producer group to negotiate a national base price at present. In reality they along with the IFA have lobbied against or for the legislation to be watered down by allowing some special producer groups to be set up.

I have followed this since it started it is hard to believe we are still 3 years down the road and still we do not have the legislation. So Rangler it is you who are BSing. Like the IFA you consider the suckler cow to be scarsconant when in reality the processors are creaming it on O grade cattle that provide up to 50% of the national kill. The EU price average hide the fact that Irish beef producers are are actually receiveing about10c/kg less than the actual published data suggest.

Patsy sterling is outside out control yes it has a huge influence at present but in reality it is only costing us 40% of the present price drop. But the real story is that UK beef prices have risen over the same period as the fall in sterling. From what I hear even though they have 3-4K extra cattle a week compared to June/July processosr cold rooms are not full as liked happened previously when the kill climbed for the autumn. It is easy to sell a cheap top class productr even though Rangler thinks that the processoors want only R grade cattle. Asd I have told him lots of time lamb is a totally different product. it is easy to have a set spec on Pigs, chicken and lamb as all are slaughtered sub 6 months.

We could produce such a product in Bulls but the demand is not really there. The UK supermarket requied steers and heifers from 280-340kgs but will take them up to 370ish or down to 250kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Lads. There will be no producer groups. Even if there was it would be another toothless tiger full of empty promises and hot air. It's gas looking at unions for other groups negotiating trade talks and pay deals. They are all talk and gain pittance of wage increases for their members while talking themselves up and charging their members for the privilege. Great men entirely. To make changes and to get changes you need power and money. And unfortunately all the power and all the money is on the other side. Remember we live in a corrupt little country where money talks and talk is cheap.

Lads. There will be no producer groups. Even if there was it would be another toothless tiger full of empty promises and hot air. It's gas looking at unions for other groups negotiating trade talks and pay deals. They are all talk and gain pittance of wage increases for their members while talking themselves up and charging their members for the privilege. Great men entirely. To make changes and to get changes you need power and money. And unfortunately all the power and all the money is on the other side. Remember we live in a corrupt little country where money talks and talk is cheap.

Jesus, lol, the last 20 years it was only a fool who wasn't in an Unionized job.

Unfortunately, I might sound harsh but your approach seems to be to lie down and take it.

Danzy wrote: »
    Jesus, lol, the last 20 years it was only a fool who wasn't in an Unionized job.

Unfortunately, I might sound harsh but your approach seems to be to lie down and take it.

If the IFA don't stand up and fully get behind the the plight of the beef sector as they are supposed to be the organisation that stands up for the farming community and not just the dairy boys. Then we are only pi$$ing against the breeze. If we can't get our own "union" to look out and after us then how is anyone else going to take us seriously? Any producers group even if it was done right through farmers alone would be welcomed by the beef processing industry to the media and headlines in newspapers and loads of camera opportunities with one hand and stubbed out like a cigarette with the other.

I cant see how any producer group would have any sort of bargaining power. Threaten the factory with what? Keep the cattle till they go overage and over fat.:mad:

If the IFA don't stand up and fully get behind the the plight of the beef sector as they are supposed to be the organisation that stands up for the farming community and not just the dairy boys. Then we are only pi$$ing against the breeze. If we can't get our own "union" to look out and after us then how is anyone else going to take us seriously? Any producers group even if it was done right through farmers alone would be welcomed by the beef processing industry to the media and headlines in newspapers and loads of camera opportunities with one hand and stubbed out like a cigarette with the other.

I agree with that.

• Advertisement

I cant see how any producer group would have any sort of bargaining power. Threaten the factory with what? Keep the cattle till they go overage and over fat.:mad:

No clout whatsoever Patsy. There are three types of beef farmer.

1. The big fulltime beef farmer who works his bollix off and has his job down to a "T". This man is happy to be getting his 5-10c more than the normal joe soap and thinks that is his pot of gold when in fact he is licking the crumbs from the table bruahed onto the floor like a pet house dog.

2. The part time farmer that works his bollix off both on and off the farm and sees his 900euro purchase as a good way to make 250euro in 12 Mts when the same money might only make 15euro stuck in the bank.

3. The armchair farmer completely understocked with supermodel limo and ch crosses with Beyonce arses and backs you would sleep on. All he cares about is his SFP and how great a man he is with his show cattle.

All the Dairy boys have their costs down the last cent and the main thing is that it is their FULL TIME job which for the majority of beef farming it's only a hobby. More of a point that the factories will never take us seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No clout whatsoever Patsy. There are three types of beef farmer.

1. The big fulltime beef farmer who works his bollix off and has his job down to a "T". This man is happy to be getting his 5-10c more than the normal joe soap and thinks that is his pot of gold when in fact he is licking the crumbs from the table bruahed onto the floor like a pet house dog.

2. The part time farmer that works his bollix off both on and off the farm and sees his 900euro purchase as a good way to make 250euro in 12 Mts when the same money might only make 15euro stuck in the bank.

3. The armchair farmer completely understocked with supermodel limo and ch crosses with Beyonce arses and backs you would sleep on. All he cares about is his SFP and how great a man he is with his show cattle.

All the Dairy boys have their costs down the last cent and the main thing is that it is their FULL TIME job which for the majority of beef farming it's only a hobby. More of a point that the factories will never take us seriously.

Just to add to your post, sadly the processors hold the aces as there is very few options/markets for the farmer,

Also farmer 2 dreams that he can retire early from paying job to farm full time (mortgage paid & kids finished college)

Two years ago because recognised the imbalance in the producer/processors relationship the EU Comission gave the greenlight to allow large sized producer groups to negotiate prices between farmers and processors. They are already been put in place in some countries example France. Normally such groups that could have a controlling influence on price would be considered anti competitive.

It is worth noting that as recently as early this year the EU commission again intervened in the meat market to insist that meat processors will have to publish there accounts even though technically they are unlimited companies. This was for two reasons they see an imbalance in the market and also several of the so called unlimited companies such as AIBP were in fact limited entities. AIBP operates out of the Isle of Man

To give you an idea below you can see some of the draft guidline that would have been allowed. These guideline would allow producer groups negotiate base prices, forward pricing etc but it would also have forced processors to negotiate national base prices. Take the situation where by the AA and HE schemes give a bonus but the base price is negotiated locally by the farmer. The AA bonus where they give a forward booking bonus but this open to widescale abuse where the base price is for such cattle at these time is reduced by 5-10 cent by the local procurement managers.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/consultations/2015_cmo_regulation/draft_guidelines%20_en.pdf

Rangler are you telling me that the AA and HE cattle that the processors are not in spec, not only are they in spec but as even cattle that do not recieve the bonus are still sold to supermarkets for that scheme but the farmer is shafted. Rangler you are living in vacum in what happened 20 years ago. No processor will allow a beef producer group to negotiate a national base price at present. In reality they along with the IFA have lobbied against or for the legislation to be watered down by allowing some special producer groups to be set up.

I have followed this since it started it is hard to believe we are still 3 years down the road and still we do not have the legislation. So Rangler it is you who are BSing. Like the IFA you consider the suckler cow to be scarsconant when in reality the processors are creaming it on O grade cattle that provide up to 50% of the national kill. The EU price average hide the fact that Irish beef producers are are actually receiveing about10c/kg less than the actual published data suggest.

Patsy sterling is outside out control yes it has a huge influence at present but in reality it is only costing us 40% of the present price drop. But the real story is that UK beef prices have risen over the same period as the fall in sterling. From what I hear even though they have 3-4K extra cattle a week compared to June/July processosr cold rooms are not full as liked happened previously when the kill climbed for the autumn. It is easy to sell a cheap top class productr even though Rangler thinks that the processoors want only R grade cattle. Asd I have told him lots of time lamb is a totally different product. it is easy to have a set spec on Pigs, chicken and lamb as all are slaughtered sub 6 months.

We could produce such a product in Bulls but the demand is not really there. The UK supermarket requied steers and heifers from 280-340kgs but will take them up to 370ish or down to 250kgs.

So you think legislation is utopia, sadly you have to have something the market wants if you want to sell, legislation has nothing to do with demand.

Like any business you have to produce competitively. Larry seems to be able to buy beef cheaper than here, will legislation be able to make him buy here if it doesn't suit him, i doubt it, last I looked it was a euro/kg cheaper in poland than here, You claim I focus on R grade Cattle, do you want to compete with O grade cattle in Poland, Last time I was in France they were wondering how we were being paid so much for cattle...can we compete there, I doubt it, we have to go in there with lamb at a euro/kg cheaper than french lamb to get on the shelves.
    Blame IFA if it makes you happy but the truth is we're too dear

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/prices.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'm most like farmer number 3 . no point running around like a blue arse fly. Hard bring it all with you and especially when we all can agree the margins just aren't in it.

Muckit wrote: »
    I'm most like farmer number 3 . no point running around like a blue arse fly. Hard bring it all with you and especially when we all can agree the margins just aren't in it.

Ah me auld Muckit, you're more of a 2 than you'll ever let on☺.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Just quoted 385 for heifers and 375 for steers. Sickened as i have stock fit for to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

There must be some way of protesting that upset the factories and supermarkets. The IF A are getting paid enough or paying advisers to come up with some plan.

I know and not advocating what Tom Parlon in did a few years back ... unfortunately that ended in a high court judgement against that type of protesting. It might be worthwhile bringing a test case to the Supreme court to see it's validity. The right to protest peacefully is enshrined in the constitution.

tatoo wrote: »
    I'm being quoted 3.75 ( kepak )

Got 3.80 off them yesterday for bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

Muckit wrote: »

I was farmer number 3 but, just like the gullible gambler at the roulette table, I bought in big this year and now I am farmer number 2....
    I now feel like a complete twit.... I'm gonna wait 6 more weeks then sell off and take my punishment whatever it will be!
    BTW my jobber(advisor) assures me cattle will get dear again come the end of October......as Judge Judy says "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU"...!!

What I don't get is with the hit sterling is taking, why are we paying for it? Why are we trading in sterling and not euro?

They voted for britex, they are buying our beef, why isn't the English consumer paying more for the beef in the shop with sterling diving. Instead we take the hit!

What I don't get is with the hit sterling is taking, why are we paying for it? Why are we trading in sterling and not euro?

They voted for britex, they are buying our beef, why isn't the English consumer paying more for the beef in the shop with sterling diving. Instead we take the hit!

Dont be thinking about it. All that thinking and wondering is way above our paygrade.

kk.man wrote: »
    There must be some way of protesting that upset the factories and supermarkets. The IF A are getting paid enough or paying advisers to come up with some plan.

I know and not advocating what Tom Parlon in did a few years back ... unfortunately that ended in a high court judgement against that type of protesting. It might be worthwhile bringing a test case to the Supreme court to see it's validity. The right to protest peacefully is enshrined in the constitution.

95% of businesses fail due to poor leadership and lack of management not poor employees. Micheal Donoghue captained Clarinbridge to a county title.......then he managed them to a county title and an all Ireland from nowhere. Now he has brought us to the holy grail last Sunday. This is not a coincidence. It is the top down approach that will make life better for the beef farmer. No matter how efficient us minions are, no matter how hard we individually moan, bitch, protest or fight we will not get results until we have the management in place (IFA) to lead us to the promised land. Why do I say IFA....because that's supposed to be their fcuking job.

Anthony Considine in Clare has a similar record. :D Pity he came up against the 'Clare Mafia' (his words) before he got results at the Clare job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

To risk the ire of the beef brigade why don't yous take control of your own destiny and not be expecting someone else to do it for you.

I mean that on an individual basis maybe partly a collective basis. But expecting someone else to look after you and then bitch and moan when that someone else lets you down is not a good life decision.

There's always something we can change inside or outside the farm gate that we can control ourselves.

You or we are not helpless.

Be initiative not dependent.

I'm not telling yous to get out but I used to breed horses quite a few in fact and it came to a time when the costs of producing that foal were more than the sale price. I was extremely lucky with a few and we would consider ourselves good judges but it just came to a point when we were loosing money so we got out. Looking at the sales figures there's still people breeding foals and giving out about the sales price and loosing money.
    I don't know why they do it.

Floki wrote: »
    To risk the ire of the beef brigade why don't yous take control of your own destiny and not be expecting someone else to do it for you.

I mean that on an individual basis maybe partly a collective basis. But expecting someone else to look after you and then bitch and moan when that someone else lets you down is not a good life decision.

There's always something we can change inside or outside the farm gate that we can control ourselves.

You or we are not helpless.

Be initiative not dependent.

I'm not telling yous to get out but I used to breed horses quite a few in fact and it came to a time when the costs of producing that foal were more than the sale price. I was extremely lucky with a few and we would consider ourselves good judges but it just came to a point when we were loosing money so we got out. Looking at the sales figures there's still people breeding foals and giving out about the sales price and loosing money.
    I don't know why they do it.

In a perfect world you are right. But when we are not taken seriously by our own organisation what leg have we to stand on?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement