Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

It is hard to believe that they were not fit 6 weeks ago. What FS were the last ones. No point in feeding for the sake of it. Even if not fit more than likely they be 2+, on the grid for U grade cattle you get the same for 2+ as a 4=. When prices start to drop you should be hanging them as fast as possible

there U grade cattle. Send them with no flesh you dont get your 12 cent Bord Bia as they wont be in spec. In hindsight Id be as well have sent them with the 30 cent drop but I cant see into the future all that well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

gerryirl wrote: »
    there U grade cattle. Send them with no flesh you dont get your 12 cent Bord Bia as they wont be in spec. In hindsight Id be as well have sent them with the 30 cent drop but I cant see into the future all that well

That'd be my attitude too; too many unfinished and out of spec are no good to anyone and will eventually come back to bite you, probably bring them to the mart be best if unfiished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As long as they are FS2+ you get the BB bonus. As well on R+ and U grade cattle there is no 6c deduction on FS2+ like cattle in the O grade. You would know from the FS on your previous cattle whether you should have send them or not. A lot of them better quality Continentals take too much finishing.

Slava Ukrainii

the cattle I sent were all r grade cattle not in the same league as these ones but your right them better quality continentals are very hard finish. I had one last year he killed out 470 kgs he just made the grade for the 12 cent. I could be still feeding him if a i had him..lol

the cattle I sent were all r grade cattle not in the same league as these ones but your right them better quality continentals are very hard finish. I had one last year he killed out 470 kgs he just made the grade for the 12 cent. I could be still feeding him if a i had him..lol

As a matter of interest what are you feeding them. I always use a hulls/barley/maize mix for the summer. It really compliments the grass and gets flesh on cattle fairly fast

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Quoted 3:80 base for bullocks this week - Midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

3.75 south east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Willfarman wrote: »
    3.75 south east

Ffs you can't be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Ffs you can't be serious?

Sounds right - quoted 3.85 heifers midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Sounds right - quoted 3.85 heifers midlands

Just got a call from agent and that next week quotes for bullocks is 3:75.

So will move what i have ready in the morning at 3:80 quoted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

dryan wrote: »
    Just got a call from agent and that next week quotes for bullocks is 3:75.

So will move what i have ready in the morning at 3:80 quoted earlier.

Weather not helping at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

3.75 in the West last week and this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Weather not helping at all.
    Anybody housing heavy cattle yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

blue5000 wrote: »

Yup. No other choice. We now have acres of water with a a few ponds of grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »

Yeah going to bring in all heavy cattle to finish at the wknd. No feeding left in the grass and they'll just tramp whatever is left into the ground. Younger stock will get more value out of what grass is left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yeah going to bring in all heavy cattle to finish at the wknd. No feeding left in the grass and they'll just tramp whatever is left into the ground. Younger stock will get more value out of what grass is left.

Have 11 near ready for factory. They are only poaching around where they are being fed. Other than that a dry week will sort our ground. Hope to carry anything up to 24mts for another month. Some younger stock until November and house/out-winter paddock then.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

3.75 in kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

3.75 in kildare

We're being royally screwed but at least we know it. I was back on site with the factory I'm doing a job for in Armagh. Still offering £4/kg (may be £3.95) for a full load of the right animals...... and get this, he's selling the carcasses and cuts of meat into an Eurozone country.

We're being royally screwed but at least we know it. I was back on site with the factory I'm doing a job for in Armagh. Still offering £4/kg (may be £3.95) for a full load of the right animals...... and get this, he's selling the carcasses and cuts of meat into an Eurozone country.

A little over 50% of cattle go to the UK so in reality the fall in sterling is only about 50% of what is supposed to be. EU and UK prices are rising......except Irsih beef prices. But I suppose the processors have to fill feedlots.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The pound jumped 3p this week, will beef rise as well???

3.30 for heavy O grade cows this week in the midlands.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A little over 50% of cattle go to the UK so in reality the fall in sterling is only about 50% of what is supposed to be. EU and UK prices are rising......except Irsih beef prices. But I suppose the processors have to fill feedlots.

Should lift the price of store cattle so.......:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

A little rebound perhaps. 3.80 in slaney and liffey meats cattle booked in for next week

Should lift the price of store cattle so.......:rolleyes:

I do not think that is the point of this exercise. However we have to understand this is not market manipulation the processors have too many cattle. loads outside of spec if we understand it from those that know better than us mortals. We are simply supplying the wrong cattle processors want cerise pink cattle with white dots at this time of year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I do not think that is the point of this exercise. However we have to understand this is not market manipulation the processors have too many cattle. loads outside of spec if we understand it from those that know better than us mortals. We are simply supplying the wrong cattle processors want cerise pink cattle with white dots at this time of year.
    I've heard it so many times it's ad nauseum at this stage.
    We quit chasing that dragon after the fiasco of Winter/Spring '12/'13. So far, it has been one of the better decisions we have made.

no they dont have too many cattle. You ask anyone in a factory.. Its in the front door and out the back. there is no meat in storage. There all empty or most of them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

no they dont have too many cattle. You ask anyone in a factory.. Its in the front door and out the back. there is no meat in storage. There all empty or most of them anyway

Folks your all missing the point..this is Larry's and the rest of the lads Harvest 😅

And still Weanling prices seem to be holding their own, compared to last year prices anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

And still Weanling prices seem to be holding their own, compared to last year prices anyway.

Us finishers can't get a break. Bad enough the factories screwing us, now the exporters are having a go too!!!
    Good prices at the minute ok and the suckler man needs every penny of it. Might buy a few springing heifer. Sure what could go wrong🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Anyone having a run with IBR at the minute? Rampant around us this year and even with vaccine some struggling

Anyone having a run with IBR at the minute? Rampant around us this year and even with vaccine some struggling

Yes it's about. Just goes with stress with cattle being traded and moved. Any quotes today??

• Advertisement

Yes it's about. Just goes with stress with cattle being traded and moved. Any quotes today??

Quoted 3.80 base bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Ya, bought 8 bulls last week and they have it.

A good article on Larry this week in the journa following from an intro last week. Next week they pose the question "Goodman the man and has he been good for farmers?"

A good article on Larry this week in the journa following from an intro last week. Next week they pose the question "Goodman the man and has he been good for farmers?"

Yes great articles. There is no doubt about it he is some operator he has a positive attitude and dedication second to none. Even though I give out about him at times!

Yes he's a bolix that's made himself a billionaire from screwing family farms.. but begad ya can't take it away from him and Charlie! They were dedicated to their greed.

kk.man wrote: »
    Yes great articles. There is no doubt about it he is some operator he has a positive attitude and dedication second to none. Even though I give out about him at times!

And there's only a few left that think beef processing is worth the trouble, I hear there's a local factory in for a change of owner and there's not too many clambering for it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I see last week the ceo of JBS was voted back in think there share price dropped as they were expecting someone new with the Brazilian scandal

Yes he's a bolix that's made himself a billionaire from screwing family farms.. but begad ya can't take it away from him and Charlie! They were dedicated to their greed.

I'm sure there was no one envying him the long hours he put in since the start,
    little point in begrudgery now.

kk.man wrote: »

I know people that worked for him...proper jobs, not the mind numbing work on the line...and they had nothing only respect....

I'd say Larry is as thick skinned as the cattle he kills.

• Advertisement

I'd say Larry is as thick skinned as the cattle he kills.

Ah his skin is the same hide as our ranglers! When the good mans fall, as all dynasties do there will be no beef producers crying for them.

Ah his skin is the same hide as our ranglers! When the good mans fall, as all dynasties do there will be no beef producers crying for them.

same as any business, or anyone for that matter, six mths after they're gone there won't be a word about them.
    What about our fellow countyman M O'L, he's really throwing down the gauntlet to the staff, He's wealthy enough to walk away from Ryanair, I wonder are all the staff equally independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

rangler1 wrote: »
    same as any business, or anyone for that matter, six mths after they're gone there won't be a word about them.
    What about our fellow countyman M O'L, he's really throwing down the gauntlet to the staff, He's wealthy enough to walk away from Ryanair, I wonder are all the staff equally independent.

Unlike beef farmers ,airline pilots have sought after transferable skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

The only problem Mickey boy has is that there is a worldwide shortage of pilots. Pilots can walk into another, unionised pilot job within a week if they want to Jack in Ryanair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don't they say attack is the best form of defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

MOL is a bully. Nothing admirable in that. As you say if Ryanair went flop there would b nothing about them in 6mths time.

Seemingly there's going to be very cheap flights for while as they try to clamber back customer confidence. It's going to hurt the other airlines too ironically.

Muckit wrote: »
    MOL is a bully. Nothing admirable in that. As you say if Ryanair went flop there would b nothing about them in 6mths time.

You have to admire MOL, he changed a whole industry that was dominated by workers rights and entitlement. He transformed it from a high cost base where air travel was very expensive. Not sure if six months after a collapse we have forgotten either LG Or MOL

I know people that worked for him...proper jobs, not the mind numbing work on the line...and they had nothing only respect....

it is not about wealth Rangler I think that is where you mistake those that really achieve and those that consider money there God. I have an admiration for both LG and MOL. Both made sweeping changes to there industries.

MOl's was for the the vast majority a change for the better where by on the biggest airline route in Europe, Dublin to London he changed a return fare from an average of 200 pounds plus in the early Nineties to sub 100 euro. This change has revolutioned travel and emigration where by those now working in England find it easier to maintain roots in Ireland.

In Goodmans case you cannot quite claim the same rather the benefit has transferred to the large retailers where by red meat is seen as a highly profitable product. However In reality I suspect that he is no longer in control of his companies that this has largely transferred to his sons. The big issue is that he and his processing company has been at the center of the two biggest scandals in the Irish food industry, the Horsemeat scandal and the Beef Tribunal. As well he operated in an industry that was heavily state(EU) subsidised for over two decades in the 70's and 80's.

Slava Ukrainii

You have to admire MOL, he changed a whole industry that was dominated by workers rights and entitlement. He transformed it from a high cost base where air travel was very expensive. Not sure if six months after a collapse we have forgotten either LG Or MOL

it is not about wealth Rangler I think that is where you mistake those that really achieve and those that consider money there God. I have an admiration for both LG and MOL. Both made sweeping changes to there industries.

MOl's was for the the vast majority a change for the better where by on the biggest airline route in Europe, Dublin to London he changed a return fare from an average of 200 pounds plus in the early Nineties to sub 100 euro. This change has revolutioned travel and emigration where by those now working in England find it easier to maintain roots in Ireland.

In Goodmans case you cannot quite claim the same rather the benefit has transferred to the large retailers where by red meat is seen as a highly profitable product. However In reality I suspect that he is no longer in control of his companies that this has largely transferred to his sons. The big issue is that he and his processing company has been at the center of the two biggest scandals in the Irish food industry, the Horsemeat scandal and the Beef Tribunal. As well he operated in an industry that was heavily state(EU) subsidised for over two decades in the 70's and 80's.

There's much bigger crimes against humanity being commited in this country than goodman is ever supposed to have done and they're getting away with it every day of the week.
    Most of the criticism on here is just reflecting that none of us have the mindset for business...thread on or be thread upon

• Advertisement

There's much bigger crimes against humanity being commited in this country than goodman is ever supposed to have done and they're getting away with it every day of the week.
    Most of the criticism on here is just reflecting that none of us have the mindset for business...thread on or be thread upon

Sometimes I wonder about you Rangler. You seem to have the cap in hand fawning attitude from a bygone era. I recently had dealing with a few Limerick GAA supporters. There was a similar attitude to JP McManus. Now again I have a huge respect for JP But similar to other super rich who at time preach to us(to be fair JP is not one of them) I like to remind people that they do not pay there taxes in Ireland something that LG and MOL do.

But I do not hold them up as Gods. Money and success at any cost seem to be your God Rangler. You brag about your personnel success in IFA however were you involved in your local community in sporting or charity organisations.

Yes there are bigger crimes but a lot of LG's business practices were sharp at best and seems to lack a moral ethos. TBF MOL has seem to operate within ethical boundries AFAIK. Success is more often in what you leave behind you whether it is love of sport in you children, a love of farming an scense of ethics just the ability to live life. Not a life where money is god.

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement