Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I admire mol and quietly admire lg, as I think I would be slated amounts my friends if I said so aloud. The world was, is and will always be the same when it comes to business. If it wasn't lg if would have been someone else, maybe not to the same excess, or maybe more, who knows.
    In both men's cases, there were rules in place, and they played to the limit, and bent them, but as the saying goes rules are made to be broken! Unethical and unfair-yes, but life is unfair at the best of times. I think lg looked after his workers too and a lot had good time for him.
    If we all had the sharp minds, charisma and confidence like lg and mol would we be much different?
    Also, I think what was said about money not being your god is correct. You should not ignore community and family chasing money. Mol gives a lot back to racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Sometimes I wonder about you Rangler. You seem to have the cap in hand fawning attitude from a bygone era. I recently had dealing with a few Limerick GAA supporters. There was a similar attitude to JP McManus. Now again I have a huge respect for JP But similar to other super rich who at time preach to us(to be fair JP is not one of them) I like to remind people that they do not pay there taxes in Ireland something that LG and MOL do.

But I do not hold them up as Gods. Money and success at any cost seem to be your God Rangler. You brag about your personnel success in IFA however were you involved in your local community in sporting or charity organisations.

Yes there are bigger crimes but a lot of LG's business practices were sharp at best and seems to lack a moral ethos. TBF MOL has seem to operate within ethical boundries AFAIK. Success is more often in what you leave behind you whether it is love of sport in you children, a love of farming an scense of ethics just the ability to live life. Not a life where money is god.

Money is definitely not my God, wouldn't be foolish enough to Drystock farm if it was, I respect people who work hard to achieve their goals, I don't go cap in hand to anyone and you're getting personal again in your posts....again

Certainly don't respect begrudgery, plenty of opportunities to go into beef processing for you out there, another factory for sale for you.
    A love of sport in children isn't much good to pay the bills in a country,
    I think someone should wake you up because you're dreaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sad the way this thread is going. Sometimes you're better off not to say anything.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

What would your expert opinions be on these bull calves-good enough or too poor to try finish as u16 bulls? Never done it before

Few more pics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Few more pics

What age and weight are they now,
    A neighbour claims that they need to be 'Lost' in the furze for a few months before you register them at that crack

rangler1 wrote: »
    What age and weight are they now,
    A neighbour claims that they need to be 'Lost' in the furze for a few months before you register them at that crack

Late Feb to middle of April. Registered correctly. About 300kg tops

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

You could do u16 with them but it's a long time in shed until next June July..u could let them out in spring and then put in but it's questionable with small numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Tall orange lad maybe. But it wouls be a loss making exercise for the rest of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The money is one thing. Time is another.

• Advertisement

€2100 and 800kg. Sixmilebridge mart in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

€2100 and 800kg. Sixmilebridge mart in Clare.

is that what he sold for. I have a lad for the factory next week similar to him and a little over that weight but he wont make that money anyway .. What does the man that bought him do with him.. did you get his number by any chance..lol

gerryirl wrote: »
    is that what he sold for. I have a lad for the factory next week similar to him and a little over that weight but he wont make that money anyway .. What does the man that bought him do with him.. did you get his number by any chance..lol

He looks decent on his feet. Id say hes gone for breeding

He looks decent on his feet. Id say hes gone for breeding

He's a bullock.

He's a bullock.

Oh lol ha

Tall orange lad maybe. But it wouls be a loss making exercise for the rest of them

That was my thinking too tbh. Might try sell him soon and squeeze the rest and keep for next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You could do u16 with them but it's a long time in shed until next June July..u could let them out in spring and then put in but it's questionable with small numbers
    Would u16 bulls be better suited to Autumn born?
    If these bulls were housed now @ 300kg, pushed over the winter what weight would they be in Apr/May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

If these bulls were housed now @ 300kg, pushed over the winter what weight would they be in Apr/May?

Yup.

I was wondering that too the last day, but say you are calving in august, then these calves will be 16 months old in December, when there isn't traditionally a huge demand for beef due to the Christmas.

I was wondering that too the last day, but say you are calving in august, then these calves will be 16 months old in December, when there isn't traditionally a huge demand for beef due to the Christmas.

Have them at xmas .reg in feb kill in june. Would be handiest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

He's a bullock.

Some bullock, and you can still see his ribs. Bit of feeding left in him yet.

Have them at xmas .reg in feb kill in june. Would be handiest

Buy by having them at Christmas, there is a hell of a lot more labour, and probably expense, as you meed to keep them indoor longest, sat Tull march

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

€2100 and 800kg. Sixmilebridge mart in Clare.[/quo

What was the dearest bullock ever sold in a mart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

CHOPS01 wrote: »

I bought two weanling for 600 when I was starting out. I can guarantee they were!

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Some bullock, and you can still see his ribs. Bit of feeding left in him yet.

Nobody commented on the red rosette on his back. That went a long way to boost his price. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Nobody commented on the red rosette on his back. That went a long way to boost his price. :cool:

show sale, was that yesterday?

we have a fancy lm heifer here, was thinking of showing her next week,

orm0nd wrote: »
    show sale, was that yesterday?

we have a fancy lm heifer here, was thinking of showing her next week,
    Ya, for the older cattle, not the weanlings.

CHOPS01 wrote: »

you know I'll be shot for saying this but there everywhere the Show dog farmers as I call them.. They buy the prize winners and all the best cattle at the mart and are polled rightly. might not make a cent on them but hell what do they care everyone talks about them..

Ill get my coat

10 BULLOCKS 24-30mts gone this morning. 3.80bp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Making the call myself in a while to organise to get a few away.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

10 BULLOCKS 24-30mts gone this morning. 3.80bp.

Is that an increase on last week ?

The best I could do, without travelling, was 3.75

tatoo wrote: »

Ya up 5c

Lmx 29/26 U- 3- 414kg
    Chx 28/5 R= 4= 445kg
    Lmx 26/19 U- 4- 481kg
    Hex 24/18 R+ 4+ 381kg
    Chx 28/20 R+ 2= 462kg
    Hex 24/25 R- 3+ 384kg
    Chx 29/8 R= 3= 408kg
    Chx 27/2 R= 3= 442kg
    Hex 24/15 R- 4= 411kg
    Lmxfr 29/25 O+ 3= 348kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

tatoo wrote: »

Ya up 5c

Lmx 29/26 U- 3- 414kg
    Chx 28/5 R= 4= 445kg
    Lmx 26/19 U- 4- 481kg
    Hex 24/18 R+ 4+ 381kg
    Chx 28/20 R+ 2= 462kg
    Hex 24/25 R- 3+ 384kg
    Chx 29/8 R= 3= 408kg
    Chx 27/2 R= 3= 442kg
    Hex 24/15 R- 4= 411kg
    Lmxfr 29/25 O+ 3= 348kg

Cheque for about 16700 euro had you them for long and what was the average buy in price

Slava Ukrainii

Cheque for about 16700 euro had you them for long and what was the average buy in price

Not far off that figure Bass TG. 925 ave. Lmxfr 29mts. A calf that tried to die harder than live. Hex last NOV and rest June 16. The six contenintals last of boss man's cattle. Year dead this wk. That yr flew.

Ya up 5c

Lmx 29/26 U- 3- 414kg

What do the numbers mean. 29 is 29 months I take it. What is the 26?

• Advertisement

Ya up 5c

Lmx 29/26 U- 3- 414kg

What do the numbers mean. 29 is 29 months I take it. What is the 26?
    26 days

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

so avg factory price of 1586?? so about 660... so made about 50% of that as profit, after costs etc

wiggy123 wrote: »
    so avg factory price of 1586?? so about 660... so made about 50% of that as profit, after costs etc

They got a grain of meal last winter and on finishing meal starting at 2kg for last 7 weeks and slowly upped to 4kg so didn't cost a fortune other than keeping fresh paddocks in front of them. Around that gross margin id say. I'd lose a day (and probably the will to live) at the real job if I wanted to calculate the net figure.

That fella that killed at 480kg, he must have been circa 830kg live?

That fella that killed at 480kg, he must have been circa 830kg live?

He must. Couldn't believe what he killed out. Very shapely animal but never thought him to be over big compared to some of them. Ounce of breeding worth a tonne of feeding sure!

• Advertisement

He must. Couldn't believe what he killed out. Very shapely animal but never thought him to be over big compared to some of them. Ounce of breeding worth a tonne of feeding sure!

now you said it.. its all in the breeding. It don't matter how good a bull is if the cow ain't no good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

now you said it.. its all in the breeding. It don't matter how good a bull is if the cow ain't no good

He was a fair animal. Good cover of fat on him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

a load of bulls reputed to belong to the no1 factory owner passed my door this afternoon, on their way to the factory, on nuts for quite a while and silage for more than a week

sorry to side track the thread a bit but i bought a bullock today. Ill be the 4th movement . does that mean the factory will be the fifth when he goes. Is it harder get the likes of him killed. Its a long story how I ended up with him, mix up in the mart .I kept him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They giveth with one and and taketh with the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

sorry to side track the thread a bit but i bought a bullock today. Ill be the 4th movement . does that mean the factory will be the fifth when he goes. Is it harder get the likes of him killed. Its a long story how I ended up with him, mix up in the mart .I kept him anyway

Your ok. Still QA

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Not sure bout the movement part - you wont get QA but will prob depend on factory demand otherwise. I wonder did the auctioneer land him on you after puffing him up and then left with no buyer?

Not sure bout the movement part - you wont get QA but will prob depend on factory demand otherwise. I wonder did the auctioneer land him on you after puffing him up and then left with no buyer?
    Ya I'm guessing I won't get QA but he was not that dear if he lives at all he will leave money..lol

No there was a mix up with cards an mart numbers.

Ya I'm guessing I won't get QA but he was not that dear if he lives at all he will leave money..lol

No there was a mix up with cards an mart numbers.

If you are the 4th owner you will get QA. These are the cattle you make money on as the dealers cannot push them on. As the young fellas says watch the board, when it says 3 they are gambling not you.

Mind you he is on Bondi Beach at the moment.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

What are FR bullocks making this weather around 450-480kg ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement