Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

My vet swears by a dose of bovitrace down the mouth once a month to ensure they all get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

nhg wrote: »
    Who2 wrote: »
    How do you know they are still working? That they haven't chewed them up and shat them back out? That they didn't throw them up two minutes after you put them in? Do you really believe the bonus will sit there and release a set amount of minerals per day?

That's why I threw that comment out there... To find out what people's opinion is on them..

I have often seen bolus scattered around the field shat out whole after dosing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How much are these blouses? It's hardly worth giving to dry stock is it, unless your land is severely deficient in something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

20silkcut wrote: »
    My vet swears by a dose of bovitrace down the mouth once a month to ensure they all get it.

I do similar myself, using grovite forte every 3 months or so. Only sure way that you know they have it got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭squinn2912

WE did use grovite but this and last year gave calves boluses. Gave store cattle them as well last year more on neighbor's advice than anything. The difference is that they buy in all their stock while we rear ours so the difference of night and day was because the cattle bought in were likely only half dosed if at all. Noticed very little difference with bolus. We were late this year getting a dose on calves and I certainly noticed that, it took them a while to respond and bloom up again, meaning that we kept all of our weanlings. It was a bad year weather wise as well so there are several factors but the ones you can control you need to. The bolus' are an awful undertaking as well trying to hold cattle. There are some suggesting that cows should get them too but I don't fancy trying to talk them into it. We'll have to join this millennium and get a bar for the crush!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Jack C

Any stir in base price for steers.
    Housed a few a couple of weeks ago that I'd normally finish off grass. Starting to go over 30 in a month. Can't see any change myself in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jack C wrote: »
    Housed a few a couple of weeks ago that I'd normally finish off grass. Starting to go over 30 in a month. Can't see any change myself in the short term.

There wont be much of a stir till possibly start of Dec and if they fill their feedlots with cheap aax/hex that are being panic sold in last few and next few weeks, there will be feck all of a rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I have a notion that yes there will be a fractional improvement in 3 weeks time or so.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I have a notion that yes there will be a fractional improvement in 3 weeks time or so.

Your "notions" are usually good second hand facts/info.☺

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I reckon the further north you are the better chance you have of a price rise. Lot of cattle housed and have a dose got in the last couple of weeks, and not so many that can be killed off grass. Just my €0.02.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Quoted 3.70 Liffey Meats Ballyjamesduff

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Jack C wrote: »

If you let them go over 30month you will lose money..I presume your horsing meal to them and picking them out as age dictates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

kk.man wrote: »
    Was quoted 3.75 today however word on the street is that in about 3 weeks time supply will be a lot tighter and prices set to rise. Anyone buying stores now is your time.

Every year the price starts to fall from mid-Aug onwards and won't pick up again until well into November or even December. Obviously weather dependent but year in year out this is the jist of it.

Why is it then there are always some lads who can't accept the price has dropped (and continuing to fall) instead encouraging everyone to hold off? To what end?

I have to say even though €3.70 is far from ideal, it's a lot better than I had expected when the number of cattle and the price of sterling is taken into account. Worth noting while sterling has recovered from it's low in August, it has been on a downward trend again in the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Jack C

If you let them go over 30month you will lose money..I presume your horsing meal to them and picking them out as age dictates?

Yeah...they're on about 7kgs barley/barley balancer 50/50 mix and fairly good wrapped silage. Most are my own aug '15 born limousins and then 7 bought in charlois that are going overage end of nov.
    Although they all could carry more I think I'll pick whats fit to kill for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

that 30 month limit has every farmer by the short and curlies.. its so frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

riemann wrote: »

Every year the price starts to fall from mid-Aug onwards and won't pick up again until well into November or even December. Obviously weather dependent but year in year out this is the jist of it.

Why is it then there are always some lads who can't accept the price has dropped (and continuing to fall) instead encouraging everyone to hold off? To what end?

I have to say even though €3.70 is far from ideal, it's a lot better than I had expected when the number of cattle and the price of sterling is taken into account. Worth noting while sterling has recovered from it's low in August, it has been on a downward trend again in the last few weeks

At present the price has little to do with sterling and more to do with numbers. I agree that prices have held up well compared to last year. However what is interesting is the Dutch Bull price which had jumped nearly 20% this year. You might wonder why the Dutch Bull price is important it is that it is the cheapest source of beef in Europe over the last few years along with Polish beef. This means that commodity beef is rising in Europe. Now I be inclined to move cattle that are hitting 30 months and will qualify for QA. However just like factory supply cattle coming off grass into mart's will dry up fast as well. I be making sure I did not get caught selling cheap and paying through the nose to replace. Things like nitrates as well as 30 months will impact on supply this time of year as well.

Heifers will be what will supply underage cattle over next few weeks. But a lot of heavy cattle have been housed over last 10 days on even good land. In general cattle that have been dosed will not be available to the factory's for the next ,30+ days. As well lost of lads will see 50 days feeding as a minimum before slaughter. However we will need a 3-5k drop in supply to impact on price unless there is a falling out amongst thieves

The thing lads are thinking about now is if a price rise comes before or after Christmas is will it hit 4/ kg. If it is it will pay to hold cattle if not it's a waste of time. But again it depends on whether you need to replace or not.

Slava Ukrainii

gerryirl wrote: »
    that 30 month limit has every farmer by the short and curlies.. its so frustrating

Was just thinking about that lately. I'm sure when the 30 month rule was "invented" they had looked at the ages of slaughtered cattle and saw a good deal of them killed at 32-33 months of age. It was just another way of cutting a few pound off them. It's frustrating, the amount of cattle that we could comfortably kill at 32 months but instead they have to be pushed to get them away under the 30.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Was just thinking about that lately. I'm sure when the 30 month rule was "invented" they had looked at the ages of slaughtered cattle and saw a good deal of them killed at 32-33 months of age. It was just another way of cutting a few pound off them. It's frustrating, the amount of cattle that we could comfortably kill at 32 months but instead they have to be pushed to get them away under the 30.

30 months originally came in with BSE. However it has since being used as a stick to beat us with same as u16 month bulls and U24 month bulls. TBF some of thsi comes from English retailers but not all beef goes to the UK admittly about half what we kill. but again not all is caught by this rule.

The main reason factory's enforce now is to stop excessive carcasse weights on continental suckler bred cattle in the main. What really kills it now is that there is a lot of cattle acceptable up to 36 months for the UK market and age is not a huge factor in a lot of the other EU markets.

Slava Ukrainii

thought Mconalds and a few others wont buy the meet unless its less than 30 months as you say because of the BSE

thought Mconalds and a few others wont buy the meet unless its less than 30 months as you say because of the BSE

Not a huge influe 've o price these are l.p. term contract I imagine linked to Irish average price. It is all forequarter beef as well so provide a market for that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I had always thought that McDonald’s bought fleshy cows. So all they’re meat is u30 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Got a quote of €3:80 for bullocks Monday is there any more going or is that it

Duke92 wrote: »

Are prices edging up a bit??

Slava Ukrainii

dont know didn't sell anything for a good

Best I've heard of Duke. 3.75 is as good as got in south east. What kind of stock and is that definitely the base price on the grid? Monday is a bank holiday but you do know that I'm sure...

Where is that for? Good to see a bit of strength in it. Plenty of talk of 3.70

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

was quoted 3.75 base for bullocks yesterday by agent - midlands, said to sit tight for another week and may get more.

dryan wrote: »
    was quoted 3.75 base for bullocks yesterday by agent - midlands, said to sit tight for another week and may get more.

I sat tight for 4 weeks.. My arse was sore so I killed them

I sat tight for 4 weeks.. My arse was sore so I killed them

The agents or the cattle?

• Advertisement

The agents or the cattle?

:D:D

Willfarman wrote: »
    Best I've heard of Duke. 3.75 is as good as got in south east. What kind of stock and is that definitely the base price on the grid? Monday is a bank holiday but you do know that I'm sure...

There going Thursday next week rang him Wednesday and he wouldn't give a price for next week until today
    There ch and lim one au
    I'm hoping they will die around 420kgs started feeding mid august but ground got to wet so put them in mid September don't think there as good as last year because there in

Your not feeding them too long. How much meal a day were they getting

Your not feeding them too long. How much meal a day were they getting

Had them up to 15 at grass and 25 in the shed
    That's pounds
    Why how long more should I be feeding them

Had them up to 15 at grass and 25 in the shed
    That's pounds
    Why how long more should I be feeding them

ah no you feed till there fit. every animal is different.. was just curious what you were feeding them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I had always thought that McDonald’s bought fleshy cows. So all they’re meat is u30 months?

They do mostly. A few aa bought when they do their Angus burger specials.

As long as it's a bovine on the card and it's cheap with qa it's in spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Numbers are starting to get tight they tell me, quite possibly a stir in price next week but more likely a fortnight's time.

Any quotes for the week ahead folks? Bulls/bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

tatoo wrote: »
    Numbers are starting to get tight they tell me, quite possibly a stir in price next week but more likely a fortnight's time.

Theres still way over 30K per week being killed its hard to see a price rise. Hope im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Won’t be any rise but the next few weeks it will be easier to get numbers sold.

Heard rumours of flat pricing U 30 months Friesian's at 3.65-3.75kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know dawn in ballyhaunis do give flat prices for fr. but that a long haul for everyone ,never heard too many more places given flat price for fr. this time of year anyway

Why would any factory do this? At a base of 3.75 for a p+ and o- that's roughly 3.45 and 3.51 respectively. Flat prices given for bulls only round here. Maybe if killing bigger numbers it's a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Why would any factory do this? At a base of 3.75 for a p+ and o- that's roughly 3.45 and 3.51 respectively. Flat prices given for bulls only round here. Maybe if killing bigger numbers it's a different story.
    Flat is the price regardless..base is a different kettle of fish when Fr are concerned.

U30 month cattle are scarce this time of year it encourages lad to kill From at light weights. A 280kg DW Friesian would gross 1020-1050 euro. Enough to tempt lads to slaughter any with a bit of flesh rather than overwintering them or feeding them to collect the QA

Slava Ukrainii

Kill dropped 4K last week from 37k-33K mabe a chink of light, it had rebound after storm Brian but has dropped sharply maybe a chink of light at end of tunnell. However we have one this and next weeks kill before factory's start to slow down as change to white meat over the Christmas period. A price rise now would set it up nicely for Christmas and the New Year

Slava Ukrainii

A marginal improvement in south east. 3.75 everywhere but 3.80 if for if you'd a number. (Despite the reports 3.70 was it up to last midweek). My motto is move them if their fit. Rises are minuscule and slow slow unlike the drops which come like a water slide!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

3:80 base for bullocks on offer in midlands for friday.

3.80 bullocks 3.95 u grade bulls next week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

3.80 bullocks 3.95 u grade bulls next week

O/U 16 mths? Have O 16 months going tomorrow. 3.80 and 3.90, taxman has to be paid:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Anyone price fr bulls lately I've 30 to go all around 650 and 22 months old

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement