Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

stanflt wrote: »
    Anyone price fr bulls lately I've 30 to go all around 650 and 22 months old
    you must have a big tax bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    you must have a big tax bill :D

:D
    Sure all ye dairy farmers are making a fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »
    O/U 16 mths? Have O 16 months going tomorrow. 3.80 and 3.90, taxman has to be paid:(

As far as I know under 16 month is a base of 3.80 on the grid. Ah You need to get a better accountant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Is it true that very few farmers are feeding meal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Ring donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Ring donegal

Ring dawn grannagh.

Prob get €3.75 if they are a decent fs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Are they finished at 650? You might need another bit on them to get fs right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Are they finished at 650? You might need another bit on them to get fs right.

My take on Friesian bulls they were finished when you got the price. Heard a price of 3.78 today. This lad had them eating 15 kgs/ day hard to sustain that with Friesian's. That would be a cost of at least 3.5/ day. To be making money they want to be adding a kg of DW per day or at least 1.5-2kgs LW/day. I imagine that he was only breaking even at best. He want 10-20c/ kg rise to carry them to Christmas to make it worth his while.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

P and o fr bulls today 18 months old €3:70 today in Waterford 339 average weight

Duke92 wrote: »
    P and o fr bulls today 18 months old €3:70 today in Waterford 339 average weight

Bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Do they do a flat price for Fr bullocks do you know?

Good loser wrote: »
    Do they do a flat price for Fr bullocks do you know?

Sometimes, there is rumours that at present if you have Friersians that some plants are flat pricing them at the base or at 4-6 cent less. This would be for Friesian under 30 months. Looking at official steer prices in this weeks journal(for week ending 3/11) it is interesting to see that both Jennings in Ballinrobe and Donegal meats both have high O prices and are virtually flat from O+ to O- in Jennings case. dawn In Dawn Ballyhaunis have a high O-/P price which suggests some flat pricing as well there.

Slava Ukrainii

Sometimes, there is rumours that at present if you have Friersians that some plants are flat pricing them at the base or at 4-6 cent less. This would be for Friesian under 30 months. Looking at official steer prices in this weeks journal(for week ending 3/11) it is interesting to see that both Jennings in Ballinrobe and Donegal meats both have high O prices and are virtually flat from O+ to O- in Jennings case. dawn In Dawn Ballyhaunis have a high O-/P price which suggests some flat pricing as well there.

I don't pass much remarks of them tables in the back of the journal. It doesn't take into account aa, hf or quality bonus. Often killed steers for example, rang a few plants and went with the highest quote, the next week my plant could be bottom of the list.
    Next week all will be either 3.75 or 3.80 for steers yet the plants killimg most u30 month or paying the most bonuses will be higher up. What I'm saying is the charts don't say who is paying the highest base price (I understand what You mean though).

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I don't pass much remarks of them tables in the back of the journal. It doesn't take into account aa, hf or quality bonus. Often killed steers for example, rang a few plants and went with the highest quote, the next week my plant could be bottom of the list.
    Next week all will be either 3.75 or 3.80 for steers yet the plants killimg most u30 month or paying the most bonuses will be higher up. What I'm saying is the charts don't say who is paying the highest base price (I understand what You mean though).
    No and with certain cattle it is not about the base price at time. But if you look closely at it some plants you will see good O+/O= only and a sharp drop to O- wich signals base price only HE/AA bonus are pulling the average up towards the base. But if you see O- prices that are within a cent or two of O+/O= then it it is a signal that flat pricing is taking place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ballyhaunis always getting artics of friesians and dairy crosses from up the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

good weight for 18 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ballyhaunis always getting artics of friesians and dairy crosses from up the country
    Ballyhaunis since UMP/Halal days always catered for FR's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

good weight for 18 months
    There bulls, the would want to be that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

If bullock at base € 3.75 grades R+ 2- what should it's price be...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Snowfire wrote: »

A bullock needs to be 2+ to 4= for fat to get on the grid.

tanko wrote: »
    A bullock needs to be 2+ to 4= for fat to get on the grid.

But would a deduction of 30 cent sound right..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Your at he mercy of procesor
    Have seen better and worse than 30c

It up to the factory. An R+ 2- should not have gone to the factory. As no QA it would be at less than 3.7/kg. How much did you get.

Slava Ukrainii

It up to the factory. An R+ 2- should not have gone to the factory. As no QA it would be at less than 3.7/kg. How much did you get.

€3.45,I know shouldn't have let him off also had a U- 2= that just got base price 3.75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The mart was the place for them.

€3.45,I know shouldn't have let him off also had a U- 2= that just got base price 3.75

3.45 was a bit harsh I have said 3.50/kg. However very lean carcasses are hard to move. The R should have gone to the Mart. The U great bullock more than likely made as much in the factory as in the mart.

Slava Ukrainii

3.45 was a bit harsh I have said 3.50/kg. However very lean carcasses are hard to move. The R should have gone to the Mart. The U great bullock more than likely made as much in the factory as in the mart.

Chanced a lad a few months ago that was coming up to 30 months. Knew he was a bit lean but had feeding in him and there was a load going. He graded u- 2= Which falls out of the spec for quality payment. The base price was €3.85 and got 3.91 for him. He was 440kg.
    He was a mighty animal and was only getting a bit of meal for 6 weeks. In hindsight I should have fed him on another month and forget about the 12 cent.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Chanced a lad a few months ago that was coming up to 30 months. Knew he was a bit lean but had feeding in him and there was a load going. He graded u- 2= Which falls out of the spec for quality payment. The base price was €3.85 and got 3.91 for him. He was 440kg.
    He was a mighty animal and was only getting a bit of meal for 6 weeks. In hindsight I should have fed him on another month and forget about the 12 cent.

Maybe maybe not if he had scraped into a 2+ you be 18c/kg better off. If the base price dropped you were at nothing. I tend to start feeding anything hitting 30 month 10 weeks before if they are good enough. Nothing wrong with feeding 3kgs to a 600+ kg bullock in April or May to make sure he is out sub 30 months. He still hit 1700 euro you would never see that kind of money in a mart for an 800kg bullock.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It's at the mercy of the procurement manager. If you get the base price you'd be doing ok. It's a big problem with blonde,parathanaise, some bb and limousine cattle. Taking a lot of meal and driving them into big carcass weights before they are fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Maybe maybe not if he had scraped into a 2+ you be 18c/kg better off. If the base price dropped you were at nothing. I tend to start feeding anything hitting 30 month 10 weeks before if they are good enough. Nothing wrong with feeding 3kgs to a 600+ kg bullock in April or May to make sure he is out sub 30 months. He still hit 1700 euro you would never see that kind of money in a mart for an 800kg bullock.

830kg made €1940 in Ennis thurs ;)

There's always a story behind those 'who has the biggest manhood' types...

Good u grade mart weight bullock (empty belly) is worth that to kill.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Good u grade mart weight bullock (empty belly) is worth that to kill.
    I'd say 430 kgs dead weight would be generous and would ya get 4.05 for a u atm?....he be under serious pressure to make that money in the factory.

Even an E grade at 4.20 ...sorry figures just don't add up and I'm not even going to mention deductions at both locations.

If bullock was a very good sort, and after standing all day belly was empty I'd be assuming a kill out of 58%. (55 or 56 full belly) be a 485 kg carcass. And I'm being conservative!

Willfarman wrote: »
    If bullock was a very good sort, and after standing all day belly was empty I'd be assuming a kill out of 58%. (55 or 56 full belly) be a 485 kg carcass. And I'm being conservative!
    Ok if you say so but its a gamble...but what price would a u or e come into?..and the fat score would need to be band on?

4.00 to 4.10 off top of my head. Not saying bullock was sold cheap, just maybe not as mad as it would appear to a layman.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I killed a bullock a 2 months ago .. He killed out 480kg. Cant remember rightly but I think he was around 820/830 kgs alive. Was a U+ 3+ ended up getting €1973 for him so that mart price of €1940 mightn't have been so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    I'd say 430 kgs dead weight would be generous and would ya get 4.05 for a u atm?....he be under serious pressure to make that money in the factory.

Gotten 430kgs dw from a 730 kg liveweight young bull before

He was probably worth €2500 to the factory that bought him so it's not worth fighting over.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    830kg made €1940 in Ennis thurs ;)

The odd bullock will make as much in the mart or even more if two dealers/factory buyers fall out but it would be the exception rather than the rule. In my time seeing finished bullocks going through the mart only about 20% make slaughter price and only a small percentage make more than factory price. The lads who buy directly to kill can afford to let there ego's get in the way of there business

My point to Cavanjack is that the bullock that he sold may have being as well off hanging as waitinh and chancing other routes. It all very well saying to feed them on further and not get QA if you can. But if prices are falling then letting U30 month cattle go overage or chancing them in the mart if they are nearly or fit for slaughter is stupidity

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Some cattle are better than others. Some factories are better than others. Some marts are better than others. Different farmer perferences.

So many factors. There's no one size fits all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Factories are underpaying for good U type cattle. These are the kind they are willing to pay that bit more for in the marts.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Sold my cattle to soon heard bullocks are making €3:90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sold my cattle to soon heard bullocks are making €3:90

Where? Haven't heard that in the west where supplies still seem to be plentiful.

Heard a factory in Waterford gave it for a double of cattle yesterday

In the FI bullocks 3.80-3.9 with 3.85 the general run. Neighbour was offered 3.8/kg yesterday but refused to sell.

Slava Ukrainii

In the FI bullocks 3.80-3.9 with 3.85 the general run. Neighbour was offered 3.8/kg yesterday but refused to sell.

Kepak giving €3.85

• Registered Users Posts: 31 turfin

Has anyone quotes for bullocks this week?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement