Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

turfin wrote: »
    Has anyone quotes for bullocks this week?

Few going Tuesday. 3.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Few going Tuesday. 3.80.

They the 4 lads you pictured there lately

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    They the 4 lads you pictured there lately

Yup. Ready for road.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

What kinds weights you expecting

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    What kinds weights you expecting

379kg each hopefully!! They are 25/26mts so if not the 379 north of 400! Hopefully not gone too fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Just looking on this thread from last year. €3.70 to €3.75 was base price..... we're a whole 5 cent / kg better off this year

Just looking on this thread from last year. €3.70 to €3.75 was base price..... we're a whole 5 cent / kg better off this year

There was plenty of talk for 3.60/65 for this yr back then also. Lads got the numbers right but the prices are holding well considering the kill is 3-4k above the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Something seems to have shifted in the way of consumption as There's no beef in storage.
    There's another shake to come before year end. I have a notion that 4.00 isn't too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Willfarman wrote: »
    Something seems to have shifted in the way of consumption as There's no beef in storage.
    There's another shake to come before year end. I have a notion that 4.00 isn't too far away.

All they have to do is pull the price and they'll get all the cattle they want.
    Store prices seem to be up on the back of the beef price rise. Wonder what way are the numbers looking like for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Store prices seem to be up on the back of the beef price rise. Wonder what way are the numbers looking like for next year?

That won't happen before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

There was plenty of talk for 3.60/65 for this yr back then also. Lads got the numbers right but the prices are holding well considering the kill is 3-4k above the norm.

The kill number is up but is the tonnage of beef up?? They had a sob story last week about all the extra work with the small carcasses!

You are correct Cavan jack. But they won't wobble the roulette table when they are cleaning up. We are lagging behind the French and Italian price at the minute. The Ffestin pricks are making hay and moving a ferocious volume with no storage taking place.

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

The kill number is up but is the tonnage of beef up?? They had a sob story last week about all the extra work with the small carcasses!
    No the farmers journal had an unsubstantiated bull**** story to massage suckler farmer egos. It wasn't a quote from the MII. They are doing just fine when they have control of grading machines that are cheapening the far greater tonnage of beef and they ain't complaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not really sure. Lots of lads over the last few years killing young cattle 18-20 months off grass especially heifers. These will dry up now. It will be shed cattle from now on. If we see a large kill over winter next summer will see very strong prices. However with demand I think we will see 4/kg by Christmas and a bit stronger in January. It will slip back in Februay as cattle start to come on stream again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

You are correct Cavan jack. But they won't wobble the roulette table when they are cleaning up. We are lagging behind the French and Italian price at the minute. The Ffestin pricks are making hay and moving a ferocious volume with no storage taking place.

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx
    Their margins are around 3% or so they say. But 3% of current volumes is monopoly money at present.

kk.man wrote: »
    Their margins are around 3% or so they say. But 3% of current volumes is monopoly money at present.

With the way numbers are going through and chills are empty they may be operating at a fraction higher than that. As well fixed costs are down for them with extra throughput

Slava Ukrainii

Hex suckler 26&1/2 mts 396kg r+ 4=
    Hexfr all 25mts 378, 369, 363kg 0+ 3-to4-

383c base plus qa & prime bonus on all.

Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Happy out.

Patsy said in another thread that the base price was 450c/kg in 1992. You're about €1000 worse off over the 4 bullocks than you would have been 25 years ago. Sickening isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Patsy said in another thread that the base price was 450c/kg in 1992. You're about €1000 worse off over the 4 bullocks than you would have been 25 years ago. Sickening isn't it.

I bet there'd be more difference on a tonne of barley

• Advertisement

I was only 8. Tis what it is. Ya can only play the hand your dealt. We can only do the best with what we have. I could go on......they were probably dearer to buy that time. Turnover is dreaming and profit is reality. I could have as much left in my pocket as the lad killing 25yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Happy out.

You're not getting base on the fr !

I was 12. They were great times. Purcells were buying fat cattle for export that time and the angel dust men were cock of the walk in the mart! No age limits or worries about weights. I remember a bull calf bought in 90 for 300 pounds. The first Belgian blue . Reared him as a double suck on an MRI cow with her MRI bull calf.

Muckit wrote: »
    You're not getting base on the fr !

Dunno boss. Only got sketchy details from agent over phone while sitting on tractor. Will know full details on Mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Sending 2 Fresian bullocks to factory tomorrow both 600 kilos both probably p rated what sort money can I expect from them they 28 months thanx in advance

Mod note:Moved from the chit chat thread, if someone here could help, please?

Thanks in advance,

Buford.

marathon wrote: »
    Sending 2 Fresian bullocks to factory tomorrow both 600 kilos both probably p rated what sort money can I expect from them they 28 months thanx in advance

Have You agreed a price with the factory or agent? They could have been fed on a bit at that age and weight but they might kill out at 50% so 300kg dead @ a base of €3.85 for a p grade You should get at most €3.55 so that leaves €1065. If You haven't agreed a price You might get less of a base.

• Advertisement

Mod note:Moved from the chit chat thread, if someone here could help, please?

Thanks in advance,

Buford.
    Have You agreed a price with the factory or agent? They could have been fed on a bit at that age and weight but they might kill out at 50% so 300kg dead @ a base of €3.85 for a p grade You should get at most €3.55 so that leaves €1065. If You haven't agreed a price You might get less of a base.

Have you weighted them and is it mart or fresh. IMO if they are 600kgs fresh weight they may kill as low as 46/47% especially if FS is 2+/3-. If it is mart weight they may kill 49%. As well unless you negotiated the price the base cound be as low as 3.75.

950-1050 unless they fall into a P=

More than likly it would have paid to feed them until after Christmas if you base price went up. If you fed them into an O- to 650LW and they killed 49% if the base reached 4/kg they hit about 1200 euro. On good silage and a barley/soya mix the be costing about 2.2/day for 50-60 days.

Slava Ukrainii

Have you weighted them and is it mart or fresh. IMO if they are 600kgs fresh weight they may kill as low as 46/47% especially if FS is 2+/3-. If it is mart weight they may kill 49%. As well unless you negotiated the price the base cound be as low as 3.75.

950-1050 unless they fall into a P=

More than likly it would have paid to feed them until after Christmas if you base price went up. If you fed them into an O- to 650LW and they killed 49% if the base reached 4/kg they hit about 1200 euro. On good silage and a barley/soya mix the be costing about 2.2/day for 50-60 days.

It’s mart weight. Not long at this game maybe I should have fed them on so

It’s mart weight. Not long at this game maybe I should have fed them on so

Feeding Friesians is dependent on a rising base price otherwise you are at nothing. It depends as well if there is flesh on them. If there fall into FS2= you will really suffer.

Slava Ukrainii

U weren’t far out averaged 1050 for both haven’t seen any receipt yet so not sure the details. Cheers

U weren’t far out averaged 1050 for both haven’t seen any receipt yet so not sure the details. Cheers

Cough cough! :D

• Advertisement

Cough cough! :D
    Oh yea cheers

Bit more bite to it. 3.90 for underage for Monday in south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

Bit more bite to it. 3.90 for underage for Monday in south east.

4.00 for heifers in south east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

Factory agent ringing round offering 4.10 for bulls must be a scarcity on good to see will it last though is the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,930 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

leoch wrote: »
    Factory agent ringing round offering 4.10 for bulls must be a scarcity on good to see will it last though is the question

Calve births start to get scarce around june. That could be the reason for it.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Calve births start to get scarce around june. That could be the reason for it.

Coming up to Christmas was always a good time to sell beef cattle, I thought factories having their own feedlots had saved them from having to beg for cattle at this time of year

wrangler wrote: »
    Coming up to Christmas was always a good time to sell beef cattle, I thought factories having their own feedlots had saved them from having to beg for cattle at this time of year

According to the FI the kill was over 40K last week. Yet prices are rising. I imagine that feetlots are starting to empty out yet demand is out stripping syupply if prices and the kill are rising togeather. However the last of the cattle will be killed thsi week before the change over to Turkey and Ham for the festive period. What will be intresting is what happen when the trade resumes. Traditionally until about 3 years ago I always found that there used to be a significent price rise the week before Christmas.

If the factory's have used there feedlot stock to keep the kill rising over the last 3 weeks we are into an intresting Christmas and New year. Will the kill drop to 5K+ or maybe even significently more than that. Will we hit a base price significently above 4/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

There's no doubt there's an unprecedented demand after springing up. It looks good for short term anyway. So long as the brits don't import the South American product.. which lets face it is going to happen in the long term.

There's no doubt there's an unprecedented demand after springing up. It looks good for short term anyway. So long as the brits don't import the South American product.. which lets face it is going to happen in the long term.

The British consumer is the most quality consience in the world. Therwe supermarkets demand tracability because of consumer demand. While I could see them taking Argentenian Beef I am not sure about Brazilian(look at the USA as well). I be more afraid of being replaced by Australian product if it is available. US and Canadian product will have a hormone issue.

Slava Ukrainii

Could it guys deciding to carry stock over the winter and finish off grass, rather than winter finish?

• Advertisement

Could it guys deciding to carry stock over the winter and finish off grass, rather than winter finish?

IMO unlikly if there was no demand processors would have dropped the price substancialyy by now rather than slowly incresing it. There were lads here a few weeks ago that were forecasting that if processors dropped prices it would increse throughput. What may be happening is that lads are killing youn cattle sub 24 months off grass with low carcases weights sub 300kgs it is unlikly it is all over 30 months heavy carcasses.

If there is a lot of young cattle killed it will make next year interesting

Slava Ukrainii

Where was the 4.10 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

I am going to make a bold statement here and I might not be popular for saying it.
    These are actually good times for the beef farmer. The weekly kill has now surpassed 40k and factories are increasingly the price. We have an excellent market next door in the UK and a nice floor one in Europe with emerging markets elsewhere. Fifth quarter product is in demand and good stock in our marts are making decent money. There is also a back up albeit smallsh export trade.
    If you know what your at in the beef game you can turn a few bob.
    Warning/they are exceptions to all this with fodder crisis etc.
    I hope Brexit won't upset the apple cart.

That about sums it up kk man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Factory agent ringing round  offering 4.10  for bulls must be a scarcity  on good to see will it last though is the question
    Was speaking to a brother in law in the north yesterday he is getting £3.58/59 for u grade bull's says hard to get fat cover on some breeds.

From 1/1/2016 to 5/12/2017
    Source - Bord Bia

CattlePrices_20171205083553.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

€3.95 /kg for bullocks in kilbeggan yesterday. €4/kg for heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

I wonder is the "ok" price at the moment with the high kill because of the looming brexit. With brexit coming the processors must be looking harder for new markets for themselves in preparation the uk leaving the market, all the while still supplying them until it actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    I wonder is the "ok" price at the moment with the high kill because of the looming brexit. With brexit coming the processors must be looking harder for new markets for themselves in preparation the uk leaving the market, all the while still supplying them until it actually happens.
    4.05 for heifers. Could be 4.10 next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Quoted 3.95 base for bullocks in kilbeggan yesterday.
    anything better to be got?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement