Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

dryan wrote: »
    Quoted 3.95 base for bullocks in kilbeggan yesterday.
    anything better to be got?

That's the run of it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would be of the opinion that it is time to dig in unless committed to a price. Next week would show allot. 4.1/kg for bullocks and 4.2kg for heifers???.

The only offerings should be on an Altar

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I would be of the opinion that it is time to dig in unless committed to a price. Next week would show allot. 4.1/kg for bullocks and 4.2kg for heifers???.

The only offerings should be on an Altar

It's going to be a short week in a lot of places too, with probably only one or two days killing the week between christmas and new yr. Quoted 3.90 for bulls o16mths and u24 mths.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's going to be a short week in a lot of places too, with probably only one or two days killing the week between christmas and new yr. Quoted 3.90 for bulls o16mths and u24 mths.

Got 4.10 for u grade bulls during the week. 4.05 for r's. All between 16 and 24 months.

blue5000 wrote: »

I say most processors will kill at least four days next week and 2-3 days the following week. Again after NY day they will kill the four days. While marts close down the factory's continue to kill. This actually creates a supply issue as there are no cattle from marts to supply the kill. As well lots of lads with one or two will not be bothered with killing over the next three weeks. Traditionally next week was always a week that prices jumped

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Crazy that when this thread was setup 6 yrs ago the prices were higher.

Crazy that when this thread was setup 6 yrs ago the prices were higher.

We must have been rolling in it back then and we didn't know it!! Wonder what price stores and weanlings were. Beef price good at the minute for the price paid for weanlings and stores last back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

Got call from agent this evening.
    4.00 base for bullocks in kilbeggan next week.

Anybody know what way prices are. Locally they are quoting 4/kg making 4.05 available but were paying 4.1 the week after Christmas as far as i understand for steers. From Agriland they are at 4.15 but is that including QA?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 31 turfin

Anybody know what way prices are. Locally they are quoting 4/kg making 4.05 available but were paying 4.1 the week after Christmas as far as i understand for steers. From Agriland they are at 4.15 but is that including QA?

4.15 is for R+ 3+, so isn’t that base price plus 6c? It’s not including bonuses according to the calculator. I’d be interested to know myself what quotes are going around,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭kk.man

Man in yard this morning told me he was quoted at 4.05 for aa and hr load of steers to se factory that does not include as and he thinks he can get 20c on the AA/He scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

He's not lying. 4.00 to 4.05 for the lads who have to travel. Plus 12 cent qa and 10 cent for Angus Hereford if the monkey controlling the lotto grading machine decides they're o= or better. Grading accuracy has improved lately there though. Shows the want for beef..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Local factory gave 4.10 for bks week goner by back to 4.05 next week. Waiting to see what happens!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

€ 4. 00 for bullocks. € 4.10 for heifers. Athleague last week

Hershall wrote: »
    Local factory gave 4.10 for bks week goner by back to 4.05 next week. Waiting to see what happens!!!!!

What part of the country Hershall ?

Robson99 wrote: »
    What part of the country Hershall ?

Midlands😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Willfarman wrote: »
    He's not lying. 4.00 to 4.05 for the lads who have to travel. Plus 12 cent qa and 10 cent for Angus Hereford if the monkey controlling the lotto grading machine decides they're o= or better. Grading accuracy has improved lately there though. Shows the want for beef..
    So through about the grading. Killed cattle last week that were poor but graded a lot better than they handled. Joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Sent a few animals to the factory today. 1 cull cow and 2 weanlings were badly lame through two accidents. A neighbour that sent a load today aswell and he just rang with the grades, the Agent must have been in contact with him. Just wondering what do the finishing gurus think they're going to come into.
    The cow killed 424kilos he couldnt remember the grade but she might have scraped into an R.
    The 15month old bull killed at 299kilos U+ 1+.
    The 16month old Heifer killed at 287 kilos O+ 2+.
    That's all the info I have on um anyway and im not QA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Sent a few animals to the factory today. 1 cull cow and 2 weanlings were badly lame through two accidents. A neighbour that sent a load today aswell and he just rang with the grades, the Agent must have been in contact with him. Just wondering what do the finishing gurus think they're going to come into.
    The cow killed 424kilos he couldnt remember the grade but she might have scraped into an R.

1250 avg for 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

1250 avg for 3

He'll hardly be that lucky.

• Advertisement

The heifer will make €1208 if he gets a base of €4.15
    It'll be up to the factory what they pay for the bull as he is way under fleshed, say €3.80 a kg
    The cow maybe €3.60 a kg

Assuming no price agreed and an agent that is useless also no QA so 20c/kg less at least that normal.

Young bull 2.8-3.8/kg because of fat score or about 830-1150 after deductions
    Heifer 3.8-3.9/kg 1110 euro approx
    Cow presuming she's an R 3.2/kg 1350 euro

that is around 1150 euro/head average minimum. Not being in QA is a killer processors can give what they like. The young bull price depending on the agent and the PM could vary from 3-3.5/kg. Above that the Gods are really similing at you.

Slava Ukrainii

tanko wrote: »
    He'll hardly be that lucky.

Didnt notice the bull wasnt fat...

The bull would have been shipped long ago if he hadn't damage himself last April. T here isn't a man in the country that could have fattened him. That's him in Oct. I had a few lads that all finish cattle look at him lately and they all said he'd grade an E and FS was 2, they all agreed that unless I dew half of Kerry co op to him he would never get enough fat cover on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

He's some tank, hardly off Fiston is he?

The bull would have been shipped long ago if he hadn't damage himself last April. T here isn't a man in the country that could have fattened him. That's him in Oct. I had a few lads that all finish cattle look at him lately and they all said he'd grade an E and FS was 2, they all agreed that unless I dew half of Kerry co op to him he would never get enough fat cover on.

I would have fed him on another while. Its amazing sometimes especially those lads that are lame will just take off. What were you feeding him some bells and whistle nut. I imagine he was about 550kgs. He was eating 10kgs of nuts/day but with the like of him you would want plenty of energy. If I was feeding him what ever nut or ration I was feeding him and the heifer I would have gone about 70/30 with rolled barley for last 6-8 weeks to get fat cover on him. To stop acidosis I have added 100 grams of limestone flour. The heifer could have used a bit of energy as well to get her into FS3 and an R.

Slava Ukrainii

Spot on Tanko.
    They were on a 19% Protein ration for about 6 weeks then onto a high energy nut since the start of November. They were a bag of that a day for the last month 12.5kgs each and that's about as much as they could eat.

Spot on Tanko.
    They were on a 19% Protein ration for about 6 weeks then onto a high energy nut since the start of November. They were a bag of that a day for the last month 12.5kgs each and that's about as much as they could eat.

IMO protein was much too high at the start. I am not gone on these so call hi-energy nuts unless I know what was in them Was never mad on Kerry group bagged. Was it a bag between 2 or 3. I have a lump of a Fr rig on about 9-11 kgs/day( he is in with a few other and on a hi-maize ration and barley added) he has come into FS 3 in about 120 day. I never went above 14% ration finishing even bulls and generally dropped it to 10-12% for last third at least of the finishing period. Never exceed 10kg by much and for long and also had silage in the diet. I can only feed once a day which is a disadvantage but usually get friesians into FS 2= to 3-. with most in the 2+/3- range

Slava Ukrainii

IMO protein was much too high at the start. I am not gone on these so call hi-energy nuts unless I know what was in them Was never mad on Kerry group bagged. Was it a bag between 2 or 3. I have a lump of a Fr rig on about 9-11 kgs/day( he is in with a few other and on a hi-maize ration and barley added) he has come into FS 3 in about 120 day. I never went above 14% ration finishing even bulls and generally dropped it to 10-12% for last third at least of the finishing period. Never exceed 10kg by much and for long and also had silage in the diet. I can only feed once a day which is a disadvantage but usually get friesians into FS 2= to 3-. with most in the 2+/3- range

Would u not add maize meal?

• Advertisement

Would u not add maize meal?

Usually barley is more competitive and maize slows down the rumen too much. You need to add a little wheat to maize to get it to work right. If you have to by wheat to add to the maize it gets messy. I had a mix a few years ago about 40% maize, 20% barley, 14%rapeseed, 8% wheat 16% sugar beet pulp and 25min&vits. It was a firewater of a feed but you need to be finishing a few to get it made at a competitive price, you could replace the pulp with soyahulls if pulp was expensive.

I always think that good barley is under rated. It a very stable feed especially if only feed once a day. As I said maize can sit in the stomach unless you had something to drive it on. But wheat is a dangerous feed because it can bring on acidosis very fast.

Slava Ukrainii

Was looking at robin talbot (that writes on the indo) a few weeks ago on twitter. Finishing similar type stock under 16 months with great fat scores. Reckons oats is a great job for putting flesh on them.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Was looking at robin talbot (that writes on the indo) a few weeks ago on twitter. Finishing similar type stock under 16 months with great fat scores. Reckons oats is a great job for putting flesh on them.
    Havent used oats in a finishing mix before but it probably could replace soya hulls / citrus pulp

Working a mix here of 45% Barley 20% Maize 15% Distillers and 20% Citrus Pulp + Acid Buff / Sodium Bi Carbonate. Approx 11.5%p
    Find the ground maize better that rolled maize as well
    As Bass said no need for high protein andhard to beat Rolled Barley. IMO nuts are too dear at €260 - €270 / tonne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭QA1

Cavanjack wrote: »

hi what's his twitter name
    read him in the paper myself

Would be slow to use Oats unless it was well below barley price and you could repalace your fibre source with it as well> Wheat will put on fat cover but acidosis is the issue with it. Barley is about the best option if you have access to it at a competitive price

Slava Ukrainii

QA1 wrote: »
    hi what's his twitter name
    read him in the paper myself

@autumncalver

• Advertisement

1250 avg for 3

You weren't far out to fair to you.
    3.80 for the Bull
    3.90 for the heifer
    3.60 for the cow after a bit of argument.

1260 on average.
    I was very happy with that. The agent told me ffs go away a be QA the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Fair dues to your agent you got on ok but in fairness that bull you had a picture of was A! top drawer animal pity you could not keep him a bit longer

1250 avg for 3

You weren't far out to fair to you.
    3.80 for the Bull
    3.90 for the heifer
    3.60 for the cow after a bit of argument.

1260 on average.
    I was very happy with that. The agent told me ffs go away a be QA the next time.

They usually are very finicky about QA. I have heard of lads around local getting rightly shafted over it. You had a good agent. Around us usually 20c deduction for QA. As well usually if you are only trading a few cattle a year they tan your hide as well.

Slava Ukrainii

3.95 for bks next week in the local factory.
    Is that the norm around the country??
    Didnt take them long��

Not the norm at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jjjack77

Not the norm at all.

Dats all I can get aswell, where can u get more?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

4.10 for heifers going Monday

Abp waterford and slaney both on 4 for Monday tuesday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hershall wrote: »
    3.95 for bks next week in the local factory.
    Is that the norm around the country??
    Didnt take them long��
    Abp waterford and slaney both on 4 for Monday tuesday

Is there a North-South shift in prices? Their own feedlot cattle could be coming on stream now perhaps.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Was talking to an agent before Christmas, he was saying the talk was that come February/march numbers would be well back because a lot of cattle were housed early and finished before Christmas. They are probably killing their own cattle now and trying to pull prices back before they have to rise them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

how are ye finding weight gain in sheds this year. I weighted mine Saturday. As normal mixed bag. Generally happy with the weanlings. Couple that were sick earlier on not doing much good but thats usually the way. The stores are struggling a bit but there not on as good silage as the weanlings. All are getting meal. Weanling 2kgs a day and the stores and up to 4 kgs now. Dont even think 4 kgs is enough tbh

Any change this week ?

gerryirl wrote: »
    how are ye finding weight gain in sheds this year. I weighted mine Saturday. As normal mixed bag. Generally happy with the weanlings. Couple that were sick earlier on not doing much good but thats usually the way. The stores are struggling a bit but there not on as good silage as the weanlings. All are getting meal. Weanling 2kgs a day and the stores and up to 4 kgs now. Dont even think 4 kgs is enough tbh
    4kgs is plenty for the stores. You'll notice them straighten up after a few weeks. When would usually turn out or do you sell them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

lads a bit of advise please

I have a few HEX (ex fr. cows) heifers born mar/apr 16 , nice cover of flesh but a couple are low with a bit of a belly , weighted 5 picked at random on a local weight bridge and they average 550 kg

local butcher has offered me 1130 euro on the hoof, & I deliver to an abattoir which is about 20 miles away. only issue is he'd take half now and the rest 2 weeks time, I'd have to make 2 runs anyhow

how does that sound , they are QA but I would be a bit worried about grading etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You would need them all to grade o+ in the factory in order to get qa and the same price from the butcher .Heard some lads getting caught with grades and price could easy slip back to €900 for that animal .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement