Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got 4 for mine at clonee. Tell ya I can't wait to get rid if them...Might have zero grass if this keeps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Go on the England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Got 4.05 for steers yesterday in clones. I'd say they'll drop like a stone in the next month if this weather keeps up. They are getting cows thrown at them now too to keep the English in burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Got 4.05 for steers yesterday in clones. I'd say they'll drop like a stone in the next month if this weather keeps up. They are getting cows thrown at them now too to keep the English in burgers.

yes this weather will drive the price down. Not much chance for grass finishing when there little in places. I got rid of a few a few weeks ago lucky but I know lads that are in bother with grass. I have a picture on my phone of a field I let cattle out on on the 4 may. They ruined it it was that wet. I topped the same field the other evening. its like I put round up on it. Will this last years weather be a once in a life time event do you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pushing them all on a good bit and try to get them out asap. The Pollys and whiteheads should finish with decent enough grass in the next few weeks but the ban of friesian bullocks will be looking at silage and stubble.

Guessing that the price will be rough in October, even by normal standards.

Cavanjack wrote: »

I heard the factories don't want Cows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

kk.man wrote: »

Had to wait about 10 days after booking them in, but got a few away this week. I suppose they prefer a 3+ or 3= fat score to stick the burgers together. They probably don't want under finished cows alright.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Had to wait about 10 days after booking them in, but got a few away this week. I suppose they prefer a 3+ or 3= fat score to stick the burgers together. They probably don't want under finished cows alright.
    A big cow finisher says they don't want Fr cows, finished or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A big cow finisher says they don't want Fr cows, finished or not.

this always happens when certain types of cattle are plentifull. Friesians always are the ones they try to back up because of there ability to carry more wait and not go over fat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

this always happens when certain types of cattle are plentifull. Friesians always are the ones they try to back up because of there ability to carry more wait and not go over fat.

There’s a fair old volume being moved at the minute. 3.95 for this coming week for bullocks in slaney.

Willfarman wrote: »
    There’s a fair old volume being moved at the minute. 3.95 for this coming week for bullocks in slaney.

Jesus but the f87564s look like they'll be dropping the price every week at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have you cattle going next week ?
    Hoping my man will be taking a few to be killed Monday morning.

CHOPS01 wrote: »

Have you cattle going next week ?
    Hoping my man will be taking a few to be killed Monday morning.
    Yes. Yours might be in at a better price. I tried on to book in last Wednesday and was told booked out but ring Friday for day and price.

Oh I almost forgot.. well done England!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Ah its only 3 but have to make a phone call in the morning to confirm if they're going or not. Hopefully they are as it will help before i have to start feeding bales next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Oh I almost forgot.. well done England!!!!

More burger sales : - )

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

any updates on quotes for this week?

Supposed to be supplies backing up. Anything I seen the lair-age in slaney was well fit. Burnt grass makes roast beef as they say.

Supposed to be supplies backing up. Anything I seen the lair-age in slaney was well fit. Burnt grass makes roast beef as they say.

Is it good for cattle, suppose it would be, they can eat more.

Was going to wait till next week to book a few bullocks in but no point in hanging on. They might be here longer than I think.

Will all this killing now, leave things a bit tighter in October.

Danzy wrote: »

Is it good for cattle, suppose it would be, they can eat more.

Was going to wait till next week to book a few bullocks in but no point in hanging on. They might be here longer than I think.

Will all this killing now, leave things a bit tighter in October.
    Cattle in general seem to have thrived very well. I suppose intakes of dry matter and the climate looking after their body heat along with long periods of lying off ruminating.
    I’ve never generally seen cattle scarce in October.. bar 2011..

But aside from that. CMON England!!

• Advertisement

My hopes of making my first million from fattening cattle this year have been dashed as hard as our neighbors World Cup hopes.. another 5 cent cut next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Sent a single of bullocks away this evening. €4.00 / kg base. Dropping to 3.90 by next Monday.

Have no more to send for a mobth id say

Sent a single of bullocks away this evening. €4.00 / kg base. Dropping to 3.90 by next Monday.

They must have been good cattle to get 4 now this year, a sad state of affairs. 3.95 was the base for most I know.

Have 6 to go end of next week and 10 before the end of the month, they will surely drop again the first week of august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

My hopes of making my first million from fattening cattle this year have been dashed as hard as our neighbors World Cup hopes.. another 5 cent cut next week.[/quote

3.90 for bks next week midlands. They've a nice job done on it just like every other year..............

My hopes of making my first million from fattening cattle this year have been dashed as hard as our neighbors World Cup hopes.. another 5 cent cut next week.

I have made my first million off cattle, unfortunately, it has taken a good portion of an average life and much of it came in and out of the account in the same week.

Still beats working in an office,did it for a few years, some birds can't take to water and are happy on dust and small pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

They must have been good cattle to get 4 now this year, a sad state of affairs. 3.95 was the base for most I know.

Have 6 to go end of next week and 10 before the end of the month, they will surely drop again the first week of august.

Booked in on Sunday, and they were in good order alright. Sent a load 2 weeks ago too and still haven't bought in any replacements. Been sellung grass instead.

I've a friend with 6 stock bulls to go, and they refusing to take them for the next 2 weeks

Booked in on Sunday, and they were in good order alright. Sent a load 2 weeks ago too and still haven't bought in any replacements. Been sellung grass instead.

I've a friend with 6 stock bulls to go, and they refusing to take them for the next 2 weeks

That is insane for early June but it is a quare year.

October is already here as far as beef is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Holy crap . Was going to send a few. This 30 month thing is some load of rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I have heard of some cattle getting rejected by the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Can't keep fr cows killed fast enough around here, most stock not finished. Will this create a good price next spring with allot of the dead wood being removed now?

• Advertisement

Can't keep fr cows killed fast enough around here, most stock not finished. Will this create a good price next spring with allot of the dead wood being removed now?

You would think it would help, same as a lot of cattle killed earlier in the year, should help this year, a lot of cows repeating as well I hear.

It will help but we might not see it in the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You would think it would help, same as a lot of cattle killed earlier in the year, should help this year, a lot of cows repeating as well I hear.

Mentioned this at a DG meeting yesterday, it will be 2 years before it is felt in finished cattle price.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Mentioned this at a DG meeting yesterday, it will be 2 years before it is felt in finished cattle price.

I'll buy everything i can get my hands on, under 6 months.

It might create a demand for for cows/beef next May/June if lots of cows killed this year rather than finished. Traditionally cows are culled at end of season rather than June/July. If there are limited culls available next October then there will be few for slaughter next May/June

Not really any cattle being killed are cattle destined for slaughter this year anyway with maybe the exception of cows. That is unless lads start trying to finish bulls that were targeted for the Christmas/New Year market. However dairy and suckler farmer may be temped to cull cows that are repeating if they are tight on fodder
    I think 2 years time will be no issue 45K more calves on the ground this year compared to last year in 2 years time they will be being finished it is after that where the issue will be. Calves born could be well back next year.
    I'll buy everything i can get my hands on, under 6 months.
    As above if I was buying anything at present it would be 18 months cattle. In the Journal thsi week there was a bunch of 414 kg HE that made only made 735 and a bunch of AA heifers 396 that made 740. The week before there was Friesians 2016 cattle 528 that made 880. The Friesian and heifers could be slaughtered off grass if you had it. The herefords would be serious cattle next June again if you had grass to carry them until after the drought.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It might create a demand for for cows/beef next May/June if lots of cows killed this year rather than finished. Traditionally cows are culled at end of season rather than June/July. If there are limited culls available next October then there will be few for slaughter next May/June

Not really any cattle being killed are cattle destined for slaughter this year anyway with maybe the exception of cows. That is unless lads start trying to finish bulls that were targeted for the Christmas/New Year market. However dairy and suckler farmer may be temped to cull cows that are repeating if they are tight on fodder

I think 2 years time will be no issue 45K more calves on the ground this year compared to last year in 2 years time they will be being finished it is after that where the issue will be. Calves born could be well back next year.

As above if I was buying anything at present it would be 18 months cattle. In the Journal thsi week there was a bunch of 414 kg HE that made only made 735 and a bunch of AA heifers 396 that made 740. The week before there was Friesians 2016 cattle 528 that made 880. The Friesian and heifers could be slaughtered off grass if you had it. The herefords would be serious cattle next June again if you had grass to carry them until after the drought.
    42K more calves exported to date this year over last year.

Base price wrote: »
    42K more calves exported to date this year over last year.

So livestock numbers in two years time will be similar to last year and this year. However another factor is taht there are much less Fr calves on the ground dairy farmers are using much higher rate of beef bulls compared to 2-3 years ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Not sure if they will manage to pull it that low by August. Grass cattle still very scarce and will remain so for 3-5 weeks. 2014 was the same and prices rose in July until cattle came on stream processors actually guaranteed a price to regular sellers on late August so as to drop prices to smaller producers

I don't know where you get your information, but it might be time to reassess.

riemann wrote: »
    I don't know where you get your information, but it might be time to reassess.

Drought is forcing cattle out that otherwise would not have come on stream. Loads of cows being slaughtered if lads can get them into the factory's. Most of what is happening is forced selling. I am in the same way, cattle that I did not intend to slaughter for another 6-8 weeks will be send ASAP. Things have really changed in the last month. Even on heavy land grass growth has slowed down.

Hard to believe that millers are again finding it hard to keep nuts and rations supplied. No second cut silage to any great extent. Heard of a lad that got 2 bales/acre, I am premowing 4 acres of hybrid for cattle. I say at most there was the equivilent of 10-12 bales on the 4 acres. The first cut was taken the 25th of May. Only 50% of my silage requirement in the yard.

More than me taught it unlikely that beef price would have fallen so fast. However this may cause the start live exports of finished cattle. Crystal ball gazing is not an exact science.

Slava Ukrainii

Drought is forcing cattle out that otherwise would not have come on stream. Loads of cows being slaughtered if lads can get them into the factory's. Most of what is happening is forced selling. I am in the same way, cattle that I did not intend to slaughter for another 6-8 weeks will be send ASAP. Things have really changed in the last month. Even on heavy land grass growth has slowed down.

Hard to believe that millers are again finding it hard to keep nuts and rations supplied. No second cut silage to any great extent. Heard of a lad that got 2 bales/acre, I am premowing 4 acres of hybrid for cattle. I say at most there was the equivilent of 10-12 bales on the 4 acres. The first cut was taken the 25th of May. Only 50% of my silage requirement in the yard.

More than me taught it unlikely that beef price would have fallen so fast. However this may cause the start live exports of finished cattle. Crystal ball gazing is not an exact science.

I'm aiming to have the last animal of the year killed by August 15th. Not planned or foreseen in the wildest scenario.

It is the type of year where the good white head and the poor Friesian are going up the line together.

This year is like a broken ankle, you'll get over it but there will still be an ache next year.

• Advertisement

So livestock numbers in two years time will be similar to last year and this year. However another factor is taht there are much less Fr calves on the ground dairy farmers are using much higher rate of beef bulls compared to 2-3 years ago.
    Also the number of animals slaughtered in the "other category" has increased by 4k from last year. I presume JE/JEx bull calves.

I'm aiming to have the last animal of the year killed by August 15th. Not planned or foreseen in the wildest scenario.

It is the type of year where the good white head and the poor Friesian are going up the line together.

This year is like a broken ankle, you'll get over it but there will still be an ache next year.

In early May of this year a lad said to me that the winter of 2017/18 would not be over until the spring of 2019. His point was that late sown grains would have an impact on ration prices next winter. However I was talking to him early in the week it is going to be much worse than he orginaly taught he said.

There will be an ache well into next year and beyond. It a case of hunker down and survive it as best you can. We have not seen the bottom of this yet. Even if it rained tomorrow (and there is no sign of rain for next 10 days), you will not have grass for a month. Huge amount of fertlizer sitting in bags across the country with feed bills mounting.

Slava Ukrainii

In early May of this year a lad said to me that the winter of 2017/18 would not be over until the spring of 2019. His point was that late sown grains would have an impact on ration prices next winter. However I was talking to him early in the week it is going to be much worse than he orginaly taught he said.

There will be an ache well into next year and beyond. It a case of hunker down and survive it as best you can. We have not seen the bottom of this yet. Even if it rained tomorrow (and there is no sign of rain for next 10 days), you will not have grass for a month. Huge amount of fertlizer sitting in bags across the country with feed bills mounting.
    I was at our feed merchants last week collecting straights and the yard was full of pallets and large bags of fertilizer. I jokingly said to the manager that they were well stocked up for when the rain comes, his reply was that unless the meal is paid for then most of it will stay in the bags.

Base price wrote: »
    I was at our feed merchants last week collecting straights and the yard was full of pallets and large bags of fertilizer. I jokingly said to the manager that they were well stocked up for when the rain comes, his reply was that unless the meal is paid for then most of it will stay in the bags.

Most millers are in for a penny in for a pound. They may have huge exposed credit positions. I cleared the total bill a few weeks ago. My ration bill since Christmas worked out at 110 euro/ head to be slaughtered this year and it has not stopped yet. Feeding 4-5 kgs to cattle on grass. As fast as anything can go they will.

Slava Ukrainii

No, it is not over, or close to it. We are at late Summer conditions in a bad drought year in July.

If it didn't change till September or October, who could be surprised. When it gets hot here, it tends to stick.

I don't mean to be negative, it is not my type, but everyone needs a solid plan for the next year, for their own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭FeirmeoirtTed

Howdy folks just wondering what price would angus or hereford weanlings be at this time about 3 to 4 months old?

• Advertisement

Howdy folks just wondering what price would angus or hereford weanlings be at this time about 3 to 4 months old?

Hard to know all stock have dropped back in price hard to see them making 400 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hard to know all stock have dropped back in price hard to see them making 400 euro.

Have a few to sell. All under 10 months, all bulls, 2 blues, 2 fr, 2 Angus and 2 Hereford. On meal. Would I be better off waiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Have a few to sell. All under 10 months, all bulls, 2 blues, 2 fr, 2 Angus and 2 Hereford. On meal. Would I be better off waiting?

Hard to know what they'll come into. I took a poor price in the yard for the last 10-15 calves in April and a couple in May, delighted I don't have them know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »

Neighbour has to bring home cattle from Mart this week, similar to above, wasn’t even bid on two of them and they where good 300kgs r grade cattle, mart trade has collapsed in midlands anyways but then again their isn’t a blade of grass left in this area

whelan2 wrote: »
    jaymla627 wrote: »
    Neighbour has to bring home cattle from Mart this week, similar to above, wasn’t even bid on two of them and they where good 300kgs r grade cattle, mart trade has collapsed in midlands anyways but then again their isn’t a blade of grass left in this area

I cannot see myself buying any cattle for the winter. At present I have 31 yearlings and 38 2 year old cattle. Will kill 30ish of the 2 year olds ASAP. hope to get 15-20 away in next 2 weeks. That will leave me with 35 cattle going into the winter. i have 150 bales of silage (50% of normal requirement) will have to start feeding some of that in the next 2 weeks. Normally I be buying 20 year olds and 25 ish weanlings.

Even if I was buying cattle are 10c/kg back off this time last year and dropping fast. That is 35/head less that lads like me can afford to pay for replacements. I have spend 110/head of finishing cattle on ration since the New Year. Normally it would be less than half that. Add the two together and I would have al least 100/head less to spend on replacements.

Whelan if you can get an exporter to give you an ok price for them I would be moving them on.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement