Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Exporters are the great white hope at the moment. The more stock we can get out of the country the better this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

It is never good advice to wait, or hang on when finishing steers.

If they're fit they're fit and any gain in weight will be cancelled out by a fall in price because if your stock are gaining weight chances are everyone elses are too.

It is important to live in the real world, the beef industry is far from perfect and may even be a cartel, but dreaming of high prices in August or September is not conceivable unless we see another horse meat type scandal.

If anything a high finishing price will wreak havoc the following year as this would push the price of restocking up with a high likelihood of finishing prices returning to the mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are still masses of Cattle in the country, kills arent up so much as to really change that, yet look what it has done to the price.

There are lots of cattle on a bale, ration and eating stalky remnants and they are doing surprisingly well of what one would think of as the worst of grass.

So we have a lot of cattle still to kill, fields getting stripped bare and not growing back.

On top of that Cows that might not have been culled till next year or the year after are being lined up for the bolt goodo.

I'm treating it as we if are in September now, time to drive em on and get them gone cause whatever happens everyone else is going to be forced to do the same unless it pisses for a fortnight and even then the factory will not improve things much because the cattle will still have to get the bolt sometime.

I might be wrong on it, and it may be different for each person but I cant see the benefit in giving the factory a specimen beast for what a much poorer animal would make now, probably in any year, but certainly in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

I sent 17 off there on Thursday. The lorry man said they were fine cattle as i thought most of them were, 2 O's and 2 U's is what i thought.
    Then the lorry man said that because we were supposed to get €4 base that he reckoned the ***kers on the grid would screw us.... just because they can .

Came back 6 O's and 1 U. (The rest R's)I was bucking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Midlands factory?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Midlands factory?

North Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

North Cork

It Dawns on me that I might know the place would not be in a hurry to send cattle there.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It Dawns on me that I might know the place would not be in a hurry to send cattle there.

Sure you'd be only glad if they got the grades wrong....sure tis only up they could go! :D

(sorry sir the ball came in lovely and twud to a sin not to pull on it!)

Thanks for the reminder I must call the agent to see how the Cattle did, off they went this morning.

West along the road might be an option, 12 miles extra but that is small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I sent 17 off there on Thursday. The lorry man said they were fine cattle as i thought most of them were, 2 O's and 2 U's is what i thought.
    Then the lorry man said that because we were supposed to get €4 base that he reckoned the ***kers on the grid would screw us.... just because they can .

Came back 6 O's and 1 U. (The rest R's)I was bucking.

Were they on meal?

• Advertisement

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Were they on meal?

No. They never get meal here.

Were the at least o+?

Were the at least o+?

Yes.

It’s not the worst scutching I’ve heard of so.. the midlands plants are great for the 5 cent in the price but if a faraway mug falls for it they clip clean cattle and charge for it and grade them like Mongolian donkeys.

Not that far north... keep packing information into your brain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

What quotes are ye getting this week for under 30 mth bullocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Neddyusa wrote: »
    What quotes are ye getting this week for under 30 mth bullocks?

3.90 midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Hershall wrote: »
    3.90 midlands

ya got 3.90 today for cattle. The weanling would want to well cheap this backend I tell ya or I think I'll become a summer time farmer :D

gerryirl wrote: »
    ya got 3.90 today for cattle. The weanling would want to well cheap this backend I tell ya or I think I'll become a summer time farmer :D

It looks like they will be, the economics and logic of short fodder adds to it but they will not be as cheap as things suggest.

Logic and the mart ring are often not on speaking terms.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

Now you said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

After all the dry cows sold the last few years there mightn’t be the plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I think there will be a lot of suckler cows for sale this back end, drought leading to less fodder , the available fodder will be expensive And the suckler cow won’t generate anywhere near the € that the black and white can to justify E40 a bale of hay

I think weanling and stores will be under fierce pressure this back end. There is no second cut silage
    Danzy wrote: »
    It looks like they will be, the economics and logic of short fodder adds to it but they will not be as cheap as things suggest.

It will not just be fodder but ration will be crazy money as well. Bulk ration will be 280ish/ton. Bags 8.5-9 euro/bag if it is any way decent. No finisher has money in his pocket and they have not a lot of silage either

There will be plenty of them, higher percentage of beef breed calves off dairy cows.
    sonnybill wrote: »
    I think there will be a lot of suckler cows for sale this back end, drought leading to less fodder , the available fodder will be expensive And the suckler cow won’t generate anywhere near the € that the black and white can to justify E40 a bale of hay

Everything will be under pressure. Lads will have big ration bill before the winter starts at all. As cheap as store or cull goes there still will not be buyers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,858 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got bales of hay yesterday for €25 each

whelan2 wrote: »

Were they small square ones:D

Seriously though that's not bad price as long as it's good stuff. A lot of rushes baled up this way for bedding as I'd say straw will not be got

• Advertisement

Seriously though that's not bad price as long as it's good stuff. A lot of rushes baled up this way for bedding as I'd say straw will not be got
    ye nice enough stuff, will give it to sucklers in the autumn

Most suckler farmers (up this way anyway) won’t be too badly effected as they keep same amount of cows, cut same amount

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KAMG

3.90 base yesterday in the midlands. Grades seemed a little on the harsh side but maybe I'm imagining it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Have booked straw at €35 for rounds. No price for big squares yet.

Have booked straw at €35 for rounds. No price for big squares yet.

Was talking to my straw man last night. He said its crazy the amount t of lads ringing looking for straw and last year ya couldn't give it away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Was talking to my straw man last night. He said its crazy the amount t of lads ringing looking for straw and last year ya couldn't give it away

Straw was expensive last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

TITANIUM. wrote: »

Got round bales of straw delivered for €18 in August last year, it got expensive after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Any issues with killing cattle that are only in the herd for a week or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

mayota wrote: »
    Any issues with killing cattle that are only in the herd for a week or so?

None at all but You won't get the 12cent quality bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Most suckler farmers (up this way anyway) won’t be too badly effected as they keep same amount of cows, cut same amount

Well you might be right but around here we cut the same or more but did not get what we need for winter.
    I would think there might be a lot of suckler cows for sale but not too many willing to buy them if they are incalf

TITANIUM. wrote: »

I'd say he meant the stuff that couldn't be baled until ages after it was cut

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Well you might be right but around here we cut the same or more but did not get what we need for winter.
    I would think there might be a lot of suckler cows for sale but not too many willing to buy them if they are incalf

It was discussed recently
    If they’re goo sort bring up this way, later on
    A good one will make a good price, but strong dairy influenced not as good
    Heard could be lots of dry cows as Problems getting incalf due to last year

That’s v good, Out west you can add a E10 transport cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Was in fermoy yesterday at the boat , thought 170/180 per kilo live was a great price for bad cattle plenty of Frx there .

What R+ Cull cows making in factory ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

o/p cows quoted at only €2.90 flat in munster ,although local lad with a few loads got €3.10 flat earlier this week

The glut of prime cattle has passed.
    And it will be steady as she goes for a good while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

cute geoge wrote: »
    o/p cows quoted at only €2.90 flat in munster ,although local lad with a few loads got €3.10 flat earlier this week
    Taking to a lad in Wexford yesterday and he was saying there is a two week wait to kill a cow in the SE.

It was taking nearly that to get prime cattle killed too.. until today. They were boasting of another pull for Monday midweek but they ain’t getting the cattle. Possibly a bounce back coming. The milk men are throwing underfleshed cow at them devil may care attitude but good cows are a better trade.

https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

Interesting that we are not that much behind last year on price..

https://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/default.aspx

Interesting that we are not that much behind last year on price..

In theory yes. But cattle are coming 20-30kgs DW lighter That is 100 euro on an animal. Gardes are back a bit as well costing another 3-4 cent or 8-10 euro. Costs are up after the winter and cattle have eaten naerly twice the meal before slaughter and ration are 20-30/ton more erxpensive all this adds another 35 euro/head.

Add it all togeather and it is costing 150/head. The big killer will be the fodder situation it will be uneconomic to buy cattle you do not have fodder for.

Slava Ukrainii

Factory beef price isn’t theoretical?

I’m well aware of the lack of turn from the job but my memory was playing tricks with me regarding quotes as I think it is with a lot of fellows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Factory beef price isn’t theoretical?

I’m well aware of the lack of turn from the job but my memory was playing tricks with me regarding quotes as I think it is with a lot of fellows.

Also prices rose as we moved into November and December last year. We pushed to kill cattle under 30 months in September last year. The lads that didn't make the 30 months weren't killed till November/December (mostly over 30 months) killed 50kg heavier with a higher price. They made the 12cent bonus look like a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Just got quoted 3.85 base underage Angus Bullock's. Kepak athleague.

• Advertisement

restive wrote: »
    Just got quoted 3.85 base underage Angus Bullock's. Kepak athleague.

went to the mart today at lunch from work. Store cattle have taken a hammering. only right when you see the way factory prices are going. Ive been buying weanlings for a good few years in the back end but if they are not cheaper this year Im gonna call it off. A store would make more sense. Even wintering cattle is getting hard to justify.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement