Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

gerryirl wrote: »
    went to the mart today at lunch from work. Store cattle have taken a hammering. only right when you see the way factory prices are going. Ive been buying weanlings for a good few years in the back end but if they are not cheaper this year Im gonna call it off. A store would make more sense. Even wintering cattle is getting hard to justify.
    Store & weanling producers have bills too.
    Appears cost of living goes up & farm produce prices come down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

gerryirl wrote: »
    restive wrote: »
    Just got quoted 3.85 base underage Angus Bullock's. Kepak athleague.

went to the mart today at lunch from work. Store cattle have taken a hammering. only right when you see the way factory prices are going. Ive been buying weanlings for a good few years in the back end but if they are not cheaper this year Im gonna call it off. A store would make more sense. Even wintering cattle is getting hard to justify.
    Wintering cattle simply does not pay and let everthing be right. You want to buy very cheap stores to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

kk.man wrote: »
    Wintering cattle simply does not pay and let everthing be right. You want to buy very cheap stores to justify it.

Very True. Could be as far on becoming a summer farmer. Buy to keep the SFP. I hear there looking at that too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

If you can get to 4 or 5 sales a week in the spring , wintering is brainless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Pidae.m wrote: »
    If you can get to 4 or 5 sales a week in the spring , wintering is brainless

What about rolling over the money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Danzy wrote: »
    What about rolling over the money.

Talk to your accountant, It does not necessarily follow that if you sell all your stock in December that you wind up with a big tax bill the following November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I got it wrong. 3.85 for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Willfarman wrote: »
    I got it wrong. 3.85 for next week.

I hope lads remember this is the price they should be budgeting for when they start bidding on cattle this coming autumn and next spring and not the 4.20 that does be available every may/june for two weeks.

I worked off a budget of 3.80 last October November but didn’t account for a 7 month winter. And then after 12th may turnout and great initial thrive the land turned into a hairy cracked brick so feeding again from mid July.
    Nothing made out of them.
    Stores need to be very cheap or i won’t be bothering this autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

I worked off a budget of 3.80 last October November but didn’t account for a 7 month winter. And then after 12th may turnout and great initial thrive the land turned into a hairy cracked brick so feeding again from mid July.
    Nothing made out of them.
    Stores need to be very cheap or i won’t be bothering this autumn.

Finished killing here now first batch at 4.10 and last batch at 3.90. €80 blew in a couple of weeks. Plain stores are cheap in the marts but the good store is a good trade. Always finished some over the winter but changing this year will tick them over and let them out next spring.
    The nut im buying has gone up €40 a tonne and rising....... Grass still the cheapest option or should i say the lesser of two evils........

• Advertisement

Hershall wrote: »
    Finished killing here now first batch at 4.10 and last batch at 3.90. €80 blew in a couple of weeks. Plain stores are cheap in the marts but the good store is a good trade. Always finished some over the winter but changing this year will tick them over and let them out next spring.
    The nut im buying has gone up €40 a tonne and rising....... Grass still the cheapest option or should i say the lesser of two evils........

Did they leave any money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not finishing cattle this winter either. Silage is tight and I am putting in 4 acres of rape. Normally I have about 75-80 cattle for the winter. This year I will be back to 45-50. No weanling being bought this year and will not have full complement of stores either normally I have about 55 stores. Wintering cattle has become too expensive and ration/nuts in particular. Like you said rations gone up 40/ton and may rise (or quality drop) by another 20-30/ton before Christmas.

I have killed cattle twice this year similar to yourself while the price has dropped faster than previous years there are other losses. For the first kill the cattle killed 10-15kgs lighter because of the spring. Last cattle killed 30kgDW lighter than last year. The other issue is because cattle kill lighter they are grading poorer. My FS are 3-/3= with the odd 2+'. Previous years FS were 3=to 4- with a few 3-. As well have fed nearly 150kg/head more ration than other years. Wintering costs were another 25-40/head dearer.

Adding it all up less weight is 75-100/head and 12-15 for lower grading, extra ration is 35/head and extar cost of ration is 8/headadd in extra wintering cost @25-40 and between costs and less output I am looking at 165-190/head.

I will not recover much of that through buying in as I have 32 in hand for next year in weanling bought early last year. Margins are well back and unlikly to recover much because of my system and not being unable to buy in weanling because of fodder. Mind you even if you had the fodder you might be as well of selling it

Slava Ukrainii

Mother Nature bollocked the south east. We go the brunt of the snow. Then the rain like everyone but we got the brunt of the drought and even the Macamores is still in bother. Silage is scarce straw is scarcer but enthusiasm and hope is the scarcest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Did they leave any money?

The first batch at 4.10 were lucky. After that it was a getting out job only saving grace was these ones were bought in Feb so not much cost against them. I worked part time for years until 2015 went full time then best move I ever made...........

I often heard my folks talking of old George Warren an auctioneer in Gorey saying when things weren’t going well in farming “farming land at the minute is like holding a fart.. you’d be better to let it”

I have been half assured that 3.85 is going to hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mother Nature bollocked the south east. We go the brunt of the snow. Then the rain like everyone but we got the brunt of the drought and even the Macamores is still in bother. Silage is scarce straw is scarcer but enthusiasm and hope is the scarcest!

For the first time ever. I was down in athy and tullow last week...spring barley is at least 2-3 weeks ahead of around here and grass grows for conservatively 4-5 weeks longer.

I often heard my folks talking of old George Warren an auctioneer in Gorey saying when things weren’t going well in farming “farming land at the minute is like holding a fart.. you’d be better to let it”

I have been half assured that 3.85 is going to hold.

Things can change very quickly. We could get a nice Sup of rain now and grass will take off. Finished cattle could dry up for a while and the price could hold or strengthen. Second cuts will be made in September and we could have a good back end.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Things can change very quickly. We could get a nice Sup of rain now and grass will take off. Finished cattle could dry up for a while and the price could hold or strengthen. Second cuts will be made in September and we could have a good back end.

On good ground you are never going to make up the gap. Silage cut end of September will be low DM so every 2 bales mage has only the same or less feed value than early summer silage. No growth for 8 weeks on highly stocked farms is a disaster.

As I have psoted on other thred as I have only 50% of my normal silage made no paddocks and no second cut, there will be no excess grass until end of Auagust. It is a case of surviving it.

I think the real issue will be that not only will store prices be very low thsi autumn but there may be a real issue that cattle will not be able to be sold even at low prices.

Cannot see any significent prices rise for autumn as lads will still be offloading finished cattle as fast as possible to keep cattle in hand as out as long as possible to shorten winter. Lads with lower stocking levels d not realize the issues facing lads that are heavily stocked. Silage will be the limiting issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

On good ground you are never going to make up the gap. Silage cut end of September will be low DM so every 2 bales mage has only the same or less feed value than early summer silage. No growth for 8 weeks on highly stocked farms is a disaster.

As I have psoted on other thred as I have only 50% of my normal silage made no paddocks and no second cut, there will be no excess grass until end of Auagust. It is a case of surviving it.

I think the real issue will be that not only will store prices be very low thsi autumn but there may be a real issue that cattle will not be able to be sold even at low prices.

Cannot see any significent prices rise for autumn as lads will still be offloading finished cattle as fast as possible to keep cattle in hand as out as long as possible to shorten winter. Lads with lower stocking levels d not realize the issues facing lads that are heavily stocked. Silage will be the limiting issue.

I'm stocked at a light enough rate. Im in an area that gets higher than average rainfall and while the land is largely decent, has a lot of clay as well.

So I should be ok and to a degree I am but grass just isn't growing. If you had two goats to the acre at the moment you'd be overstocked in most of Munster.

Certainly agree that some aren't looking at the picture beyond their townland or own circumstances.

I was talking to a lad today whose land is a thousand feet above sea level, it tends towards the heavy side but it is grazed bare.

The dry spell may be going on only so long but rain was light since April in many places and downpours when it came, straight out the gap.

Ground battered the previous autumn as well is adding to it as well.

I have 2 fields that are a foot above loose pencil, they are dry fields on wet years, they are closed now and I can't see cattle in them this side of November.

Most farms couldn't survive the volatility of this year on a regular basis, in whatever country they are and they tend not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

3.95 base bullocks

• Advertisement

3.95 base bullocks

Good to see it, where is this or what part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Good to see it, where is this or what part of the country?

Midlands

Pm me the plant. I’ve a load fit and 3.85 is it here in south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm stocked at a light enough rate. Im in an area that gets higher than average rainfall and while the land is largely decent, has a lot of clay as well.

So I should be ok and to a degree I am but grass just isn't growing. If you had two goats to the acre at the moment you'd be overstocked in most of Munster.

Certainly agree that some aren't looking at the picture beyond their townland or own circumstances.

I was talking to a lad today whose land is a thousand feet above sea level, it tends towards the heavy side but it is grazed bare.

The dry spell may be going on only so long but rain was light since April in many places and downpours when it came, straight out the gap.

Ground battered the previous autumn as well is adding to it as well.

I have 2 fields that are a foot above loose pencil, they are dry fields on wet years, they are closed now and I can't see cattle in them this side of November.

Most farms couldn't survive the volatility of this year on a regular basis, in whatever country they are and they tend not to.

Grass growing phenomenally last three days after Wednesdays rain.

Must be 80/90 kg DM daily.

Superb article by John Heney in the farming independent as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fr cows, locked up so can't sell, they have high scc. Prob get about 450 if sent straight to factory, would it be worth drying off and fattening to be gone before housing, oct/Nov? Would prices be down there due to normal activities pre housing.?

they won’t be fat before housing. It’l Be a month before they start to pick up after drying off.. and the joys of summer mastitis. if grass and fodder are scarce these are surely the animal to take a bit of a hit on?

they won’t be fat before housing. It’l Be a month before they start to pick up after drying off.. and the joys of summer mastitis. if grass and fodder are scarce these are surely the animal to take a bit of a hit on?

Not too bad here fodder wise feeding two bulls currently anyway. Valid point tho, 're what they'd eat and get to by housing may as well just let them off

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

3.90 base for bullocks is the best I can get here in Midlands.

• Advertisement

It’s to be had in south east for coming week. A little improvement but not really a rise in the sense the bastards dropped them by the same two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

9 HEx heading to Ballyjamesduff in the morning.

Only killing 3 days down here this week. Like pulling teeth this weather. Got a phone call from The top of the country this week. Price was OK but I wanted a shake more to travel. Still nice to get the call, don't happen too often

Killing flat out in Ballyjamesduff it seems.Now supplying a major German retailer that was previously being supplied by another processor with a preference for hereford.

Jaysus have they lost the contract?

So it seems going by agent i use !! So if you have Hex looka like the Cavan man is the lad to deal with !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think a factory owner near me (in N Tipp;)) fell out with Hereford society over bonuses/what is a hereford or not etc. but the main thinking on the ground is that there are more than enough hereford cattle in the country now that there's no need for a bonus anymore.

3.75 for R grade bulls u24 months this week. Not long ago since I got 3.40 for cull cows.

It's no wonder really that 2 more top operators in my DG are going milking.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think a factory owner near me (in N Tipp;)) fell out with Hereford society over bonuses/what is a hereford or not etc. but the main thinking on the ground is that there are more than enough hereford cattle in the country now that there's no need for a bonus anymore.

3.75 for R grade bulls u24 months this week. Not long ago since I got 3.40 for cull cows.

It's no wonder really that 2 more top operators in my DG are going milking.

The amount of land that's converting in Westmeath is unreal and it was never a prominently dairy county.
    If the land isn't a dairy farm now it's supplying a dairy farms fodder...unfortunately it's sounding like the building boom in the noughties and that went well

wrangler wrote: »
    The amount of land that's converting in Westmeath is unreal and it was never a prominently dairy county.
    If the land isn't a dairy farm now it's supplying a dairy farms fodder...unfortunately it's sounding like the building boom in the noughties and that went well

Difference being I guess in the boom we were buying and selling to each other at least the milk is leaving the country

wrangler wrote: »
    Mooooo wrote: »
    Difference being I guess in the boom we were buying and selling to each other at least the milk is leaving the country

We have one of the lowest milk prices in Europe but are still able to make a profit due to our production setup. As long as lads are not caught at the wrong stage of a cycle/weather with too much borrowing they will be ok. At some stage over the next 2-5 years we will be limited by nitrates/phosprous limits I imagine. But the demand for dairy products is growing and very few countries have the cost base we can manage.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No one seems to mention Brexit much when discusing irish beef prices, but sterling took a hammering over it's uncertainty. If brexit isssues are sorted, we could very well see a lift in Sterling again. That would have give a huge lift to beef pricess here again.........or am I missing something.:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

No one seems to mention Brexit much when discusing irish beef prices, but sterling took a hammering over it's uncertainty. If brexit isssues are sorted, we could very well see a lift in Sterling again. That would have give a huge lift to beef pricess here again.........or am I missing something.:rolleyes:

Only the bit about the price difference between what factories get paid for beef and what we get:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: rolling my eyes back to you:D patsy

Any cow prices this week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Only the bit about the price difference between what factories get paid for beef and what we get:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: rolling my eyes back to you:D patsy

Any cow prices this week?

Not better but less bad is the vibe

We're back to €3.90 for steers €4 for heifers. Anything better to be got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is it just me or is it difficult to finish cattle atm ? Grass has thickened and greened up plus they getting plenty of meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Where is the best place to send angus bullocks, usually go to duleek

jfh wrote: »

Any of the big factories who operate the as schemes should be ok. Abp and kepak should be ok. Heard foyle pay well for aa but Your a good spin away I presume. Worth a shout all d same if You've a loaf

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

any quotes this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

dryan wrote: »
    any quotes this week?

‘Offaly for the All Ireland’ from John Maughan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jfh wrote: »
    Ballyduff are paying AA bonus. Worth giving them a call.

dryan wrote: »
    any quotes this week?

3.90 steers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement